Gossip Girl Spoiler Alert: Showrunners Reveal Plan for a 'Juicy and Fun' Two-Part Finale

The CW’s Gossip Girl resumes its fourth season on Monday, April 18, with the first of five all-new episodes, and whether you’re Team Chair, Dair, or Who Cares?!, showrunners Stephanie Savage and Josh Safran tell TVLine that fans will not want to miss how the cycle ends.

The CW Announces May Finale Dates

“Last year’s finale was a little bit darker,” admits Savage, “and this one is more juicy and fun.” Adds Safran, “Every finale is a game-changer, but this one really is spinning everyone off in new ways that will be apparent as you watch it.”

Yet while Safran promises, “The road map for all of the characters will be very clear” as the yet-to-be-renewed drama wraps Season 4, “That’s not to say there won’t multiple cliffhangers.”

Throughout the first two of this season’s final five episodes, the journey for Blair Waldorf (played by Leighton Meester) is among those that gets crystalized. The Upper East Side princess will find herself in the predicament of a lifetime, torn between her “friendship” with Dan (Penn Badgley), her undying love for Chuck (Ed Westwick), and her prospective fairy tale ending with Prince Louis (Hugo Becker).

“That story keeps building right up until the finale episode,” says Savage, revealing that “the last two episodes [of the season] are actually a two-parter that all takes place during the course of one night.”

While Blair is juggling men (and perhaps multiple proposals!) in New York, Serena (Blake Lively) finds herself on the West Coast with the handsome Ethan Peck (10 Things I Hate About You). “Every year we try to do something big, like last year when we sent the girls to Paris,” explains Safran. “So, this is just a fun change in location for Serena.”

The Gossip EP is tight-lipped when it comes to details on Peck’s role, but does say that contrary to rumors, “I wouldn’t call [his appearance] an arc. He’s in the season finale, and he’s great.”

Chuck Bass, on the other hand, is not so great, especially after launching an investigation into his late father’s role in the alleged death of Raina’s (Tika Sumpter) mother. “It is always darkest before the dawn,” Safran teases. “And Chuck, he gets very, very dark.”

Are you eager to see which guy Blair chooses? Hopeful Chuck will find some happiness? Sound off below, and don’t miss Gossip Girl‘s return on Monday, April 18 at 8/7c.

Comments (160)

• TEAM DAIR all the way \o/

Comment by Natalia – April 11, 2011 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • its always chair

Comment by Maryanne – April 11, 2011 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes it always comes back to chair :) even if they don’t end the season together at least we will get some good scenes finally!

Comment by ljh – April 11, 2011 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with this post!
      CHAIR FTW!!!
      It’s apparent that Blair will always just love Chuck mother f*cking Bass!

Comment by monet – April 12, 2011 12:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Dair!

Comment by ellie – April 11, 2011 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dan and Blair complete each other, they are perfect together.

Comment by ZR – April 11, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’re the only couple that actually makes sense and would work for more then two weeks together.

I’d like to see the characters grow even a little instead of spinning in endless circles and sleeping with each other some more, but that might be asking too much from GG.

Comment by L – April 11, 2011 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Chair so much- seeing some of their scenes in the promo got me excited for the show again-can’t wait!

Comment by Tay – April 11, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK AND BLAIR! I love them, they are perfect!

Comment by Maggi – April 11, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TEAM DAIR +1

Comment by Mariah – April 11, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m definitely still hoping Chair work it out. :D Excited to see the last five episodes. Lots of great Chuck/Blair scenes coming up. I can’t help but like Louis too. ;)

Comment by Cathy – April 11, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck gets dark again before dawn, part 5,678,433. I feel like I saw this already..in season 2, 3 and now 4. I hope this is the last time.

Comment by Molly – April 11, 2011 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For a time Chuck and Blair were good but once he sold her for a hotel he lost a creditbility as an acceptable person, let alone a boyfriend. He doesn’t fully appreciate Blair and doesn’t deserve her.

Dan on the other hand has had time to grow into Blair and mature himself over the years and that they have was built over time and not some random thing that slowly evolved into a heated but abusive relationship. I am sure Louis is a prefectly nice guy who could treat Blair awesome but he is no Dan Humphrey.

Comment by Magie – April 11, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dark Knight ftw! I can’t wait for epic CB scenes to come.

Comment by amy – April 11, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Chair!

Comment by Tharcyla – April 11, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s funny how they keep referencing Dan when he’s clearly not in the running for Blair’s affections by the finale (or ever, really).

Looking forward to seeing how the Chuck vs. Louis drama plays out.

Comment by Mel – April 11, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I fully agree. I think they’re pulling a One Tree Hill (season 5 finale with the Peyton-Brooke-Lindsey triangle for Lucas) to keep the Dair fans interested.

Can’t wait for the Chair scenes!! they belong together.

Comment by I – April 11, 2011 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Um, the Lindsey is obviously the prince, since NOBODY actually thinks Blair’s going to end up with him after this season, but we already know they get engaged and have a wedding.

Comment by Jenna – April 11, 2011 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IDA. Serena’s off to Cali. Dan has strong feelings for the rest of the season, so I guess we’ll be surprised by the outcome of this. That’s why Penn said it’s unexpected. Typical storytelling.

Comment by NYR – April 11, 2011 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • By strong feelings, do you mean hooking up with Serena’s cousin? *eye roll*

Comment by I – April 11, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dair FTW!!!!!!!!

Comment by TC – April 11, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m only watching for Dan and Blair. Everybody else is boring.

Comment by Levi – April 11, 2011 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still have hope that Chuck and Blair will work things out, but I dont think they end up together this season. I dont think Blair is going to choose any of the guys this season.

Comment by mac – April 11, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK AND BLAIR!! TEAM DARK NIGHT FTW!!

Comment by Kelley Belle – April 11, 2011 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited for upcoming CB scenes :) I don’t think they’ll actually end the season together, but at the very least they’ll be set up for a great S5.

Comment by Allie – April 11, 2011 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, this is what I’m hoping for too!

Comment by Liz – April 11, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Chuck and Blair! So excited for their scenes. Chair ftw!

Comment by j – April 11, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Without Jenny, the ONLY reason I’m still watching is for Dan/Blair, but I’m sure they’ll mess them up. It’s predictable.

Comment by M – April 11, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chair FTW!

Comment by ana muller – April 11, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so ready for some more CHAIR! I’ve missed them so much. Even though it’ll be painful to see Chuck going through so much and losing Blair to a prince, I think it’ll be a great opportunity for him to show just how much she means to him.

Comment by Hannah – April 11, 2011 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We all know why there’s a pauper. Dan will win it. This is why the finale will be unexpected.

Comment by NYR – April 11, 2011 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chair FTW DEFINITELY Team DARK PRINCE-soon-to-be-a-REDEEMED KING. WE LOVE YOU, Chuckles. Always have. Always will.

Comment by Molly – April 11, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally Team Chair! I can not wait for more scenes with them; whether they are angsty, happy or hot the show is always more interesting with them. I can’t wait until they finally redeem Chuck!

Comment by Lynsey – April 11, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Chair definitely! I can not wait for more scenes. I love them together and they are always more interesting regardless of what type of scenes.
    Yes Chuck needs to grow/mature but I can not wait until that moment then they can really start rebuilding Chair.

Comment by Olivia – April 11, 2011 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Interesting that Ethan Peck isn’t an “arc”. I am feeling more intrigued by Serena’s arc now. We haven’t heard much about what she is doing in the last 5 at all, aside from hanging out with her ex-stealing cousin and apparently attempting to screw Blair and Louis’s relationship. (That final 5 promo really did intrigue.)

To answer your question, Chuck and Blair. I am just waiting out the Prince.

Comment by Elizabeth – April 11, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chair all the way!

Comment by yesmin – April 11, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dair. :)

Comment by Crystal – April 11, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch as long as the show stays Jenny-free.

Comment by april-ann – April 11, 2011 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I Like Dair…but I am TEAM CHAIR ALL THE WAY!!! Hope they get a happy season ending and that Chuck sees he can’t take her for granted anymore. Hope next season they are a strong and happy POWER-COUPLE!

Comment by Lindsey – April 11, 2011 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We already saw that. It was boring as hale.

Comment by Ellen – April 12, 2011 09:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my lord Ethan Peck is so damn sexy!

Comment by Jones19 – April 11, 2011 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think that they will keep Dan and Blair together, but I’d love it if they did. Dair has kept me on pins and needles waiting for GGs return!!

Comment by Beth – April 11, 2011 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team PAUPER! Dair is the best. Chuck is just an abusive selfish drunken little boy. DAN IS THE MAN!

Comment by John – April 11, 2011 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team DAIR ..

Comment by moonlight – April 11, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dair is adorable, but LET’S BE REAL. It’ll be Chair in the end <3

Comment by Mandy_Mouse – April 11, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Chair…send the Pauper back to Brooklyn where he belongs.

Comment by H – April 11, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you so much! So glad everything is going to be centered on Chair again! Finally, the epic couple will return and triumph. :)

Comment by Abby – April 11, 2011 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Chair, all the way! And that is NEVER going to change. They belong together..

Comment by Annette – April 11, 2011 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • team dair all the way. but everything has pointed to them ending and this all being about chuck and louis only so i will be so upset if they’re only including dan as a prop to get more people to watch. man i want dair to admit they have feelings for each other by the finale.

Comment by pixelkiss – April 11, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chair <33

Comment by Michaela – April 11, 2011 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dair.

Comment by ck – April 11, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DAIR!!!! Xx

Comment by Nenajj – April 11, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just want Blair to be happy.

Comment by Susan – April 11, 2011 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait to see Chuck & Blair on my screen again. FINALLY!
    And The promo is BRILLIANT!!! “The only thing that’s been real is me and you.” That is all. <33

Comment by MC – April 11, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, I am so happy for Chuck and Blair scenes coming back to my screen!

Comment by Meg – April 11, 2011 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can watch again for Chuck and Blair. Thnx!

Comment by StEpH – April 11, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Team Chair! FTW
    Can’t wait for more scenes with them

Comment by Molly – April 11, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck and Blair are so boring!!! DAIR!! DAIR!! DAIR!!!! all the way!!!

Comment by Mona – April 11, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think you mean Dan and Blair are boring. How much more movie watching can we take?

Comment by I – April 11, 2011 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • two more seasons of dan and blair love hopefully

Comment by pixelkiss – April 11, 2011 04:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Seriously, CHuck/Blair is not only played out, but downright absusive. SOLD FOR A HOTEL. Exactly what part of this is not completely disgusting? I don’t know how anyone can like C/B at all after what happened.

Dan/Blair FTW.

Comment by Olivia – April 11, 2011 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aawwwww and Team Chuck and Blair since season 1 because I know they are destined for each other. I really want this season’s finale to be more satisfying than last year because I almost quit over that.

Comment by Bonnie – April 11, 2011 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post