Amazing Race: Six Teams Remain -- Who Are You Rooting for to Win It All?

I began the current season of The Amazing Race: Unfinished Business as a somewhat casual observer, not so invested in any one all-star team that I felt ready to declare my undying allegiance. But seven episodes in, I’m finding myself gripping the sides of my couch hoping that father-daughter duo Gary and Mallory aren’t the last ones to see Phil Keoghan’s sombre mug at the weekly Pit Stop.

Part of my allegiance has to do with Mallory’s unwavering enthusiasm and priceless facial expressions. During Sunday night’s “Feed the Fire” detour — in which teams had to create 50 manure discs, slap them onto a wall to dry, then start a fire using said fuel sources, Gary and Mallory maintained a goofy sense of humor and a friendly respect for the hard-to-please Mistress of Cow Patties. Mallory even confessionalized with giddiness that her white shirt was the same one she’d worn during a manure-themed challenge in Russia the last time she appeared on the Race. Kisha and Jen, meanwhile, gagged and squabbled, while Kent and Vyxsin fell into their standard panicky neuroses. Is it any wonder I’m rooting hoping season 18 finally gives us a parent-child victory?

As for Sunday’s episode, a few highlights:

* How in the heck did Jet and Cord not get suspicious and start checking for alternate flights when they went to their gate and didn’t see a single competing team on their plane from Kolkata to Varanasi? The dudes are formidable foes, but they can’t afford to be so blasé with only six teams remaining.

* Anyone else feel like Kent is courting a karmic comeuppance? During a Road Block which required players to find six different sadhus (holy men) in the insanely crowded Tonga Stand intersection, Kent asked if he could follow Gary, in exchange for Kent’s information about the location of the final sadhu. But instead of making good on his promise, Kent abandoned Gary the minute he’d drained him of his intel. “At that point, our co-dependency was kind of over,” said the goth with the terrifying brow situation. Look, I know all’s fair in love and The Amazing Race, and I know Gary was naive to help Kent in the first place, but it’s hard to respect Kent’s parasitic approach to the competition.

* Why why why did Christina allow her father to take on a task that required a cool head navigating a crowded urban center? Was this some secret urge to head home and get a jump start on wedding planning? Ron’s logic — that perhaps some of the sadhus had stripped off their colorful garments and gone for a dip in the Ganges — was, well, insane.

* Speaking of quick dips, I screamed with laughter after Vyxsin — who clearly thought the Ganges was super-shallow near its edges — ended up completely submerged after leaping off a water taxi to try to drag it back to the dock. Kent’s subsequent freakout and cries of “you need to calm it down!” proved worth of the DVR-rewind treatment, too.

* Oh, and speaking of karma, was I the only one mortified by the disrespect Kent and Vyxsin showed in dealing with their local transportation providers? After their freakout at the water-taxi stand, Team Pink and Black hailed a taxi and began screeching to its occupant — “get out! get out!” — to vacate the seats that they somehow felt were their birthright.  I was hoping Ron and Christina’s decision to travel by water might pull them ahead of the dating goths, but alas, it wasn’t meant to be.

* Final order of finish at the Pit Stop: Flight Time and Big Easy; Zev and Justin; Kisha and Jen; Gary and Mallory; Jet and Cord; Kent and Vyxsin; Ron and Christina (eliminated).

What did you think of this week’s Race? Which team are you rooting for? Take our poll, then hit the comments to explain your vote. And for all my reality recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Shay says:

I’m glad you’re finally getting in to this show! We also laughed like crazy at Kent: “get out of that water right now!”

Have you considered recalling CMT’s Next Superstar? It’s pretty good.

2. Paco says:

Im rooting for Mel and Gary as well, it makes me nervous whenever they start to fumble and lose their lead in the pack. On the other hand… Im extremely attracted to Justin (and his back of hairy patches) so I wouldnt mind them winning either.

3. JenR says:

I am rooting for Zev and Justin. I think their friendship is just incredible. A lot of people would get frustrated with Zev, but Justin just accepts him the way he is and supports him when he needs it and teases him when he needs it.

• dctoronto says:

And Zev is kind of hot.

I must say my feeling for Mallory really increased after hearing her talk about her impressions of India. I love when a racer takes the time to really think about where they are.

• sasha says:

I really like both teams, and would be fine with either of them winning, although Mallory and Gary seem to put in the most effort. I hope Kent and Vxysin leave next week. He is completely a loser. If I was Vxysin, I would have had an overpowering urge to throw a cow patty at his face. And why does SHE have to carry HIS pack? I was actually rooting for Christina and Ron to come in before them, that’s how much I’ve grown to dislike this team. And to think that I actually liked them during their first appearance!

• Roy says:

And hiw sad was Kynt when he told Vyxsin that she didn’t carry his bag after the roadblock so that’s why he was so slow. These 2 are pure ridiculous comedy and stupid. I’m now rooting Mal&gary, Zev&Justin or the cowboys to win.

4. BabyBird says:

YES!! SO appalled by Kent & Vyxsin! the “Get out! get out!” was horrid.. AND Kent makes me laugh. He’s such a wuss. Every time there’s heavy lifting or hard labour, he’s complaining about it and Vyxsin has to grab his backpack for him and struggle up the steep stairs. PATHETIC.

5. graeme says:

Yeah, Kent yelling at Vyksin in the water was hilarious. I can’t believe that you didn’t mention Kent’s blaming the cabbie for hitting his head on the trunk (“You should have told me to watch out!”). Love how people constantly try to blame other people for their own stupidity.

And I really liked Christina, but I can’t believe her and her father made it this far. Ron is such an idiot.

6. Ohiogirl says:

I’m team Globetrotters all the way! The cowbros are a second. But they are fun in a reality show kind of way. Fligh Time and Big E are truly funny, classy and cool. Big E.’s been too helpful this season though. For example, last night when he was trying to work with Jen. I worry that it’s because he is not feeling as confident this season.

7. JayK says:

We thought there was a good chance the goths would be going home – it seemed the show was for sure setting them up for some bad karma.
    And I can’t help it – I have to root for the cowboys. They were so freaking “Aw, shucks” charming last time (“Oh my gravy”) that I completely fell in love with them, and I can’t let it go. I love when they smash their way through a challenge leaving stunned teams behind them. “What just happened? Oh, I got cowboyed.” Plus Jet is sexy. Yup, I said it. (All that said, I would be really really happy (like, crying happy) if Zev and Justin won, too.)

8. B says:

GARY & MALLORY all the way!!!!!!!! <3

I'm over the goths.

9. AlistairCrane says:

I’m rooting for Kent and Vyxsin all the way!!

10. Jude10 says:

My predictions for the next eliminations:

6. Dating Goths (please Lord!)
    5. Gary & Mallory
    4. Jen & Kisha

Final 3: Globes, Cowboys & Zev and Justin. Would be happy if any of the 3 (or if Gary/Mal could sneak into the top 3). But I’m really rooting for the Cowboys. If you look at both races, they are overall the best team and deserve the $1M.

11. susela says:

Kent and Vixyn are so irritable and pushy that it will ultimately work against them. You just can’t think straight in that frame of mind, and they’ll have a panic-induced implosion any minute now.

12. Laurel says:

The goths were a fun team the 1st time around. This time not so much…
    I couldn’t believe the whole taxi situation. That poor old guy didn’t know WTF was going on. How rude .

I’m rooting for Gary & Mallory at this point.It would be nice to see a father & daughter team win .
    Thankfully it wasn’t rude Ron…

13. Lauren says:

Love the Cowboys and want them to win. I agree that they can be a little too lackadaisical at times, but they are nice and great competitors. I also like Zev and Justin, Gary and Mallory, and The Globetrotters. They all make the show so entertaining and funny, but aren’t outright mean and deceitful. I am amazed at how lucky Kent and Vyxsyn have been.. I hope their luck runs out next week!

14. liz says:

At this point I would be happy with anyone BUT Kent and Vyksyn. They were horrible to each other and the people they came across.

15. xwiseguyx says:

My partner happened to catch the show even though he has rarely watched… and it was instant hatred for the goths… can’t say I blame him. They were at their worst for sure.

16. Michael says:

I’d love to see a Gary/Mallory, Cowbros & Flight Time/Big EEEEEEEEASAY final, with either of the first two winning frankly. The goths are just plain irritating – how they’ve managed to knock out two of my favourite teams, I’ll never know. Also, Kisha & Jen need to be gone too – seriously, they are just ASKING for another water challenge, and I’m hoping they’ll get one soon. Was hoping it’d be in the Ganges just to knock them out. Never really enjoyed Zev & Justin – just find them a bit irritating and they’ve come back supremely cocky this time which is not a good thing! Wouldn’t mind seeing them be the last knocked out before the final leg though as long as the top three are my faves.

17. oriharakaoru says:

I definitely found myself on Team Gary and Mallory last night! Mallory is just so presh, nice, and respectful. I love her enthusiasm for the race.

At this point, I’d really be happy if any of the teams besides the Goths won. I liked the Goths a lot during their original season, but their attitude has kind of been wearing on me this time. To be fair, I think Kent is more annoying that Vyxsin.

18. CnSF says:

I hope Zev and Justin win. I think their friendship is pretty amazing… Justin has a lot of patience and understanding when it comes to Zev and I think it is amazing. Plus Justin is totally hot.

19. Saracen Riggins says:

Funny! Love your recaps as ALWAYS. The current standings of the poll reflect my sentiments exactly. (least to best) Kent & Vyxsin, Kisha & Jen, Globetrotters… then the top 3 are all pretty even for me. I can’t make up my mind who of those 3 teams I want to win the most. As of right now, I’d be happy with any of them.

20. bean99 says:

My favorites are the Cowboys and the Globetrotters with a slight edge to the Cowboys because they always make me laugh. Can’t believe they didn’t check for other flights. Bet they won’t do that again. The goths are getting on my nerves and hoping Karma bites them in the butt soon. I was fine to see R/C go home and they deserved it last night.

21. Miss M says:

Slezak, Mallory is THE most annoying TAR contestant ever. I couldn’t stand her in her first season and having her back is worse. Every week I wish they were gone. Her dad is great and he must be a saint to listen to her 24/7. Now that Margie & Luke are gone, I can only hope the Cowboys win it all. They are the nicest most wonderful contestants ever on TAR.

22. Meghan says:

Jet and Cord; Zev and Justin

23. laura says:

I’m rooting for the GLOBETROTTERS all the way!!! Big Easy and Flight time are hilaaarious and thy deserve to win:) If not them, then Gary and Mallory. Kent and Vyxsin are the next to go… sorry goths

24. Sean says:

My Random Thoughts:

– Ron and Christina finished the Roadblock in last place by a mile, mostly due to Ron’s dawdling and propensity to be distracted the entire time. He even accused the holy men of not being dressed properly since he couldn’t find them, wondering if they were maybe swimming instead of waiting for the Racers. Yeah, sure Ron…these guys decided “Screw the show that hired us and paid us to be on TV. I need a swim right this second.” Well, at least he didn’t get sidetracked by a vindaloo stand.

– Once I saw the strongmen that the teams had to find, I was thinking that there was going to be a fun challenge coming up…maybe a wrestling or strength challenge. But alas, no…it was just a clue box with the route info for the Detour. So, was this just an opportunity for them to show hefty men in their briefs? Talk about a missed opportunity. Could you imagine Big Easy having to thow down Greco-Roman style with one of those dudes? Or Kent? That’s Emmy-winning television right there.

After you’re done, I hope you’ll check out the rest of my recap at

25. 1.Zev and Justin [i just love the dryness and the comments made by both of them]
    2. Flight Time and Big Easy [For real.. You cannot hate them]
    3. Jet and Cord [same story.. you just can’t hate them]
    4. Gary and Mallory [so glad that Mallory is somewhat more in control of here sillyness this time ’round]
    5. Jen & Kisha [b-o-r-i-n-g and really lazy]
    6. Kent and Vyxsin [Just don’t like them.. didn’t like them the previous season they are in.. It’s like they are actors or something.. To much drama]

26. margaret says:

Either cowboys, Zev and Justin, or Gary and Mallory. I’d like to see any of these 3 teams win…rooting for all 3.