American Idol: What Should the Top 8 Sing for 'Songs From the Movies' Night?

Whether or not you’ve recovered from Pia Toscano’s shocking elimination from American Idol, the Season 10 show will trudge on Wednesday night with the Top 8 performing a “Songs From the Movies” theme. On paper, it could be a terrific 90 minutes of music — as long as the contestants aren’t limited to a list of 20 treacly ballads from Disney soundtracks, Celine Dion, and Bryan Adams. In my spirit of undying/naive optimisim, I’ve cooked up song suggestions for the remaining finalists. Ch-ch-check ’em out, then brainstorm some ideas of your own in the comments. And for all my Idol news and commentary, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Slezak’s Dream Set List for “Sings From the Movies” Night
Paul McDonald: Soggy Bottom Boys’ “I Am a Man of Constant Sorrow” (O Brother, Where Art Thou?) or Peter Gabriel’s “In Your Eyes” (Say Anything)
Haley Reinhart: Bette Midler’s “Stay With Me” (The Rose) or Aimee Mann’s “Wise Up” (Magnolia)
Stefano Langone: Michael Sembello’s “Maniac” (Flashdance) or Bobby Womack’s “Across 110th Street” (Across 110th Street)
Jacob Lusk: The Isley Brothers’ “It’s Your Thing” (Out of Sight) or “Lady Marmalade” (Moulin Rouge)
Casey Abrams: Harry Nilsson’s “Everybody’s Talkin’” (Midnight Cowboy) or Stealers Wheel “Stuck in the Middle With You” (Reservoir Dogs)
Lauren Alaina: Roxette’s “It Must Have Been Love” (Pretty Woman) or “Sweet Dreams” (Coal Miner’s Daughter)
James Durbin: Night Ranger’s “Sister Christian” (Boogie Nights) or Anastacia and Ben Moody’s “Everything Burns” (Fantastic Four)
Scotty McCreery: Berlin’s “Take My Breath Away” (Top Gun) or Madonna’s “Crazy for You” (Vision Quest) (either one of these could be stripped down and countrified…I’m being totally serious!)

Okay, your turn. Head to the comments and offer your dream set list for this week’s Idol performance show!

Loading video...

Loading video...

Loading video...

Loading video...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Willis says:

Jacob should sing ‘I’m Every Woman’ from The Bodyguard soundtrack.

• Nicole Pollizii says:

I second this! If Sleazak wants him to sing “Lady Marmalade”, he might as well go full throttle.

• stan says:

Sure why not, he already looks and performs like a Drag Queen.

• laurirose says:

Michael, great idea about LADY MARMALADE for Jacob!, but this is an even better rendition of it by Fantasia which I recorded at the UNCF Patti LaBelle Tribute a couple of years ago:

Also, I just can’t see Haley ever doing anything remotely close to Bette Midler’s amazing performances, and STAY WITH ME is a really challenging song, melodically-speaking..

Meanwhile, though, I’m still recuperating from loss of Pia, and of Naima too (being one of THE most creative & dynamic contestants EVER on Idol, imho)…

Praying that Lauren & Haley grow in both maturity of personality & depth of singing talent to fill the space left by those losses, ASAP!

PS. I agree about ANY song by The Swell Season (Mar Irglova & Glen Hansard) from the awesome FALLING SLOWLY soundtrack – for any contestant..

• Moonllama says:

Slezak mentioned this performance when it first aired in 2009. That’s right, Slezak, I’m paying attention! Thanks for reminding me of a great performance!

• Rhama says:

Wow, can’t wait to see that.

• Sally says:

Don’t nobody sing, Against all Odds — Simon hated that song….and it’s been done to death.

• Sharon says:

Now THAT I would pay money to see. ;-)

• brandy says:

He’ll probably sing “I Will Always Love You”, although “Lady Marmalade” would be great (but only if performed in full drag).

• adamfan says:

Agree, he should sing that and right before he gets on stage he should tell us that if we don’t like it we are either homophobes, unpatriotic or racists.

• mump boy says:

I take issue with people singing songs that may have randomly associated with a film. Lady Marmalade is not from Moulin Rouge it’s a song that has nothing to do with the film Moulin Rouge it was just featured in the sound track.

If the theme is ‘Songs from Movies’ they should actually be from a movie. In X factor a couple of years ago someone sang Crying by Roy Orbison and insisted it was from the film Gummo !!

• dana says:

Jacob should sing The Crying Game. It was used in the movie of the same name and covered by Boy George. Works on every level.

• MandieBea says:

How about Jacob sings Tina Turner’s “We Don’t Need Another Hero” from Mad Max?? That would be awesome.

• PinBox says:

Or he could sing “It’s Raining Men”, from Bridget Jones Diary … (heavy sarcasm), because, really, I believe Haley would sound awesome singing it!

2. Alison says:

Slezak, while I admire and agree with all of your choices, we know that the Idols are going to be given a list of 40ish songs, the majority of them being power ballads from 80s romcoms. If the producers can only offer 20 of Sir Elton’s greatest, then I doubt they’ll be more forthcoming with a theme as (potentially) lame as this.

• ladyhelix says:

Our only hope is that they request something off the list as Kris Allen did with “Falling Slowly”

• 2pack says:

Kris Allen’s was the best movie week performance and song choice EVER! Love him:)

• whowho says:

Meanwhile, the judges claimed that Falling Slowly was an unknown song…the dunces didn’t even know it was an Academy Award Winner and he didn’t defend himself.

• adamfan says:

Yes, that was so beautifully original for AI

• Georgia says:

Kris’s performance was a stunning moment of quiet, understated excellence. I’ll never forget Randy’s look of total bafflement, and I’m sure that many in the audience called it boring. Current contestants could learn a lot by watching Kris Allen week-to-week in Season 8.

• cheryl says:

Thought Paul might choose “Falling Slowly”, one of my favorite songs. I forgot what a remarkable job Kris Allen did with it though and he would only be compared to him and come up lacking…maybe…

• darcy's evil twin says:

I think Paul would be remarkable on “Falling Slowly”. Good choice for him. I personally don’t care whether or not someone sang something on AI before – unless they’re trying to touch Allison Iraheta’s “Cry Baby”. :-)
          Heck, I’d forgotten Kris sang the song, but I remember Lee and Crystal doing it as a duet.

• Padraig says:

I’m actually confused by Slezak’s choices – is it actually “Songs from the Movies” (original compositions for specific films) or any song that has ever been played in a movie? Slezak seems to think it will be the latter, which seems to be sort of cheating (and lazy on the part of AI, if it happens that way).

• Ablo says:

Exactly Padraig — lots and lots and lots of songs show up in the movies without them being what we would think of as movie songs. If it is the former, then it really isn’t a category at all — it’s a whatever list.

• JimLoneWolf says:

I feel it SHOULD be “any song featured in a movie” because that allows better songs to be used. Outside of the Disney movies, “original composittions” are often bland and forgettable. Michael’s choices are great by the way.

• takakupo says:

No they aren’t. You just don’t hear them on the radio often (or sometimes at all).

Beyonce’s “Listen” from the dreamgirls soundtrack is something I’d hardly call bland and I haven’t forgotten it since I heard it.

Kris Allen sang “Falling Slowly” which was from a forgettable a movie, but the song won the oscar for a reason.

Travelin’ Thru by Dolly Parton.
            Over the Rainbow by Judy Garland
            Moon River from a plethora of films and covers
            The Way We Were by Barbra Streisand
            When You Wish Upon A Star from Pinnochio

There are so many different song titles to choose from to have a moment with this. And I’m thoroughly convinced that Thia (whom I despised) would have won over a lot of votes and people if she would have sang “Someday My Prince Will Come” from Snow White which would have been the most fitting Disney song.

• Ablo says:

How is Once a forgettable movie? I don’t know anyone who has seen it who would call it that.

If it is just songs that are featured in a movie — you might as well call the category — songs.

• Joe Strummer says:

Stefano has probably nevr heard any song from any movie.

• betsy says:

I loved the movie “once” and highly recommend it to everyone.

• John Berggren says:

Once is definitely not forgettable. Unfortunately too many people want every movie to have explody bits.

• Lee says:

Blaze of Glory by Bon Jovi from Young Guns 2…great song.

• Daniel says:

Maybe, but each of the songs he chose, is specifically definable as integral to the movie it is associated with. Plus his interpenetration leaves us with vastly better choices. He is of course dreaming, but at least its fun to imagine.

• Sonja says:

Another problem with the list: it’s unlikely that contestants who don’t even know about the Beatles will know ‘In Your Eyes’ or ‘Everybody’s Talkin” as much as it pains me to say that.

3. Brittany says:

I could totally see Jacob singing Lady Marmalade… that would be one song where his crazy voice and facial expressions would be justified and welcomed. Good pick!

• Salieri says:

I can totally imagine M. Slezak laughing with his husband when he chose this song for Jacob :/
      He wants to bury him! lol :p
      Jacob “Say You, Say Me”
      Casey with the upright bass singing “Stand By Me” or “Beyond the Sea”
      Paul “Streets of Philadelphia” but without the smiles! lol
      Haley “Stay(i miss you)”
      Lauren “somewhere Over the Rainbow”
      James…any rock song should fit him.
      Stefano “Ben”
      Scotty “American Pie” countrified.

4. couturedujour says:

Jacob should sing ANY song from the OST of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert. No joke! Imagine him singing “Finally” by Ce Ce or “I Love The Nightlife” and tell me it wouldn’t make great television!

5. Jbr says:

In honor of Pia they should all go and stand at their invisible podiums, cock their arms and sing exactly the same thing the same way. Any emotion expressed will result in points deducted.

6. Logistics says:

Slezak, I think you suggested Lady Marmalade for Jacob just so you have an excuse to bring up the FABULOUSNESS that is Fantasia’s cover from the Patti Labelle tribute.

7. derby says:

Some nice choices Michael.

I’m not a big Durbin fan, but Sister Christian would be an inspired selection, as would Casey doing Nilsson. But I may have to stab my ears with chopsticks if Stefano does Maniac or Jacob over-emotes on Lady Marmalade..

Sadly, I don’t think good ole @dizzyfeet is going to pry open his wallet for anything other than the same 20 songs we’ve heard over and over again.

• evs says:

Slezak, ur a genious. Just saw Sister Christian and connected it to the song. Freaking amazing. (I doubt ??-teen yr old contestant/s will be thinking of it though) .. plus Boogie Nights? YEah they won’t be mentioning that movie during a family show.

8. good says:

love your choices for paul.

if jacob wouldn’t sing “let’s get it on” for its sexual nature, then he certainly won’t sing “lady marmalade”, a song about prostitutes. LMAO!

9. karen says:

Jacob should do I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing by Aerosmith. Then both Cook fans and Aerosmith fans will have a conniption, and laser beams will shoot out of Steven Tyler’s eyes. It will be Armageddon until Ryan reads the results voting him off, and then Diane Warren will raise a magic wand and everything will be ok.

COme to think of it, anything he sings will be like that.

Seriously, I realize that some people like him, and that’s ok.

• @Karen says:

I would be one of Cook’s fans screaming and hollering if he does sing “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing”. David’s song selections should never be tried by another AI contestant; else they’ll forever be compared to him. Just ask Stefano. heehee

10. Melanie says:

This is kind of cheating, because I thought of the song first and then matched it up to a movie, but I would basically die if Jacob took on “You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)” by Sylvester. It was in Milk, so. This is what I’ve been campaigning for.

11. Peppermint says:

Haley should do Easy Street, from Annie.

12. anibundel says:

If Paul sang Soggy Bottom Boys, I would would robodial for him for two hours straight.

I think we should talk about what they should not sing. Songs I absolutely do not want to hear include “Against All Odds” “My Heart Will Go On” and “I Don’t Want To Miss a Thing.” Sadly, I think I will mostly likely be “treated” to all three.

Lauren Alaina doing Roxette would be beyond worth it.

• evs says:

I was just thinking how it’s not the worst thing Pia went home. She would’ve done My heart will go on for sure. I don’t wanna miss a thing has Wittle Wauren written all over it

• sunny says:

Pia is on record saying she would of sung sometime from West side Story.

• evs says:

I actually like her so I don’t think it would’ve been bad. When you mentioned it I sorta remembered her saying something like that.

Observation> what kind of a performing arts highschool did Pia and Karen go to if all they wanna do on big stages are those kinds of humongous voices?

• Suncatcher says:

The song Pia was to sing was, “Somewhere” (not “Something”) from West Side Story. The song was a hit as is but was remade by Streisand for her 1986 white hot “The Broadway Album” which became a huge hit. Too bad we’ll miss it.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Oh…I’ll miss Pia but not that song! It’s good music but I just don’t like it and I put it in the same basket with “Summertime”.

• McFudge says:

Oh, I’d love to hear her do Somewhere. Every time I’ve watched West Side Story I cry like a baby at that song. I’d be able to tell if Pia was “connecting” if she had me bawling on that one.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Yea, I know, McFudge and Suncatcher. The problem is…I’m old, LOL. I was in some performing arts stuff when I was young and I have had it up to here with some of the old standards like “Summertime”, “Somewhere”, “Climb every Freakin’ Mountain”, and every other sappy, sing-songy song with that four chord progression that strikes at the heart of sensitive people. I thought I was done with that stuff and then WHAM! I get hooked on American Idol and thanks to Fantasia “Summertime” is the hottest thing since sliced bread! WTH???? Now we get tortured with it at least once a year. This year I know we’ve had to endure at least THREE performances of that number. Wow – does Gershwin’s estate still get royalties?

It’s not that I don’t think Pia would have done a fabulous job. But hey, who am I to argue with Streisand? I would have liked to have heard Pia sing something with more interesting phrasing (like Streisand’s “He Touched Me”). Or some of the old Cole Porter stuff, which is really interesting.

• Eurydice says:

Yep, I’d be robodialing right there with you. In fact, I’d robodial for anybody who sang anything from “O Brother.”

13. evs says:

I love your choices for James Durbin (Everything burns) and Casey (Stuck in the middle with you)!
    I’m afraid we’ll see another rendition of “Falling slowly”, which I love but I don’t want it murdered on stage by the likes of Stanky Lusk. I’d have Paul do Sufjan Stevens – Chicago (Little Miss Sunshine) … or Simon & Garfunkel – America (Almost Famous) , though I’m not sure would they let him since it isn’t the title song. As for Haley, I’m thinking Nancy Sinatra- Bang Bang, but then again that doesn’t seem idol viable? I should note I see Casey doing “Where is my mind” he seems attracted to self destructive sentiments.

14. Nina says:

I predict Durbin will do Born To Be Wild…or perhaps Time for Miracles and, once again, deny being a wannabe while basking in the press he’ll get for having Adam’s name in the same sentence.

15. BillyBob says:

Jacob SHOULD sing Lady Marmalade and borrow Fantasia’s dress (the one he was eying when she was there) should fit him ok!
    This would be a moment people would talk about for ages!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

16. Fabricio says:

Scotty would sing any song from “Country Song”.. DAH?
    Jacob should sing “And I’m telling you” from “Dreamgirls”
    James Durbin: Kenny Loggins’s “Footloose”
    Casey Abrams: Adam Sandler’s “Forgetful Lucy” :)

17. Javi says:

If someone sings “FALLING SLOWLY” again, and they don’t mention KRIS ALLEN (AGAIN) I’ll be pissed!!! In my opinion, that’s HIS song!

18. Eugene says:

It’s likely Lauren will sing “I Don’t Wanna a Thing” based on her Nashville audition and I would love to see Scotty sing “The Weary Kind” from “Crazy Heart.”

• Allie says:

You know, I haven’t been a huge Scotty fan thus far (I think the kid is super talented, but is kinda a one trick pony). However, if he did The Weary Kind, which is one of my all time favorite movie songs from one of my favorite movies, he may just make a believer out of me.

19. Baby Laura says:

Just wondering: Who thef is voting for Jacob. Raise your hands c’mon raise your hands…..and…..then slap yourself silly. He’s just a gaysanjaya.

• evs says:

he’s worse. at least sanjaya’s parents were cute and he wasn’t insulting other people’s voters or calling them racist and/or homophobic

• Ben says:

It’s a pretty big leap to say Jacob was calling America racist or homophobic. Of those who have suggested that and that I know their opinion of Jacob before that night, they already didn’t like him – so it’s just become an extra excuse not to like him. I think those who did like him already saw it as a fairly innocuous ‘cutesy’ but meaningless comment that came without malice.

Also, comparing him vocally to Sanjaya (the poster above) is actually ridiculous. Even Ashthon didn’t come close to Sanjaya. This season is talented as hell and Jacob is talented, whether you like his style or not (I don’t like Haley’s style, have wished she would go every week since top 12 – but I’m not going to say she is as bad as Sanjaya because thats just not true).

• evs says:

Oh so you liked his cover of “Alone”,among other massacres? He has no range in the lower register, he is so over the top over-singing the yell notes (that he can sing)… And he’s never been reprimanded for staging a cacophonous assault on my ears. Also, what do you mean he wasn’t calling anyone racist&/or homophobic? He said something like> “If I end up in the bottom three it won’t be because I sang bad it will be because people in America aren’t ready to look at themselves in the mirror”. What in h*ll do you call that? Oh I’m supposed to change my caveman ways because it’s not his singing that’s horrific?

Simon , oh how I miss you..

• Ben says:

I think your comment has neatly reinforced my point, that the people complaining about that comment didn’t like him in the first place.

• bigdaddy3650 says:

You took the words right out of my mouth! It’s also sad that people are stuck on him being gay. So what! He’s not the first gay contestant and he won’t be the last gay contestant on Idol. Yes, his comment last week should have not been said, and I honestly believe that he didn’t mean to insult any one. He just worded it wrong. Now the “Jacob haters” are protesting! Really? Wow….I guess that’s just another reason not to like him. But I bet if he was straight, people would love him. And I also believe that if James, Scotty or Paul would have made the same comment, people wouldn’t make a big deal about it. Is this 2011 or 1102? Well, no matter what happens in the future, I wish him well, because at the end of the day, when it’s all said and done, Jacob Lusk is talented and deserves a recording deal just like the the rest of them.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I don’t care if he’s black, white, purple, from Mars, gay, straight, or whatever. He sure has a big ego! I’ve enjoyed a couple of his performances and I thought he was good when he sang with Naima. When he dials it back a notch he can be very good.

• Laurel says:

I like the hand slapping BUT at least Sanjya didn’t have an ego the size of Montana and he didn’t insult Americans.

20. Mick says:

Damn you, Michael Slezak! Listening to Aimee Mann’s Wise Up is making me cry again. Such an incredible film, with incredible performances! Truly one of, if not the, best film PT Anderson has ever done. I’m sure you already know this, but did you know, PT Anderson wrote the screenplay around Aimee Mann’s music? They collaborated together, and each story is centered around her songs as she wrote them.

21. karen says:

Paul – Would? by Alice in Chains from Singles

James Durbin- Live Or Let Die- He would be great at either the Paul McCartney or the Guns and Roses version

Kind of like Must Have Been Love for Lauren

If Scotty could pull off a good countryfied cover of You Take My Breath Away it could be fantastic, I could see how both songs could be countrified. I think though that Haley could do an interesting job with Crazy For You also, she could do a more soulful version.

I actually think if Casey did In Your Eyes by Peter Gabriel I would like it better, I think he could vocally pull it off better.

Jacob- Ok, if he didn’t do I don’t Want to Miss a thing, how about How Deep Is Your Love by the Bee Gees?

I agree that Pia probably would have done My Heart Will go on, or I will always love you.

• Vada says:

Paul doing Alice in Chains? You can’t be serious. Paul doesn’t have the rocker gravitas to cover a Layne Staley vocal. He is strictly folk/lite/rock. Or at least that is all I have seen from him.

22. mr clean says:

Nice job, slezak. I wish you ran the show…. you know damn well they won’t do anything that cool… who’s going to do “I don’t wanna miss a thing”???

23. madamimadam says:

I would love for Scotty to sing “I Walk the Line”… Perfect fit!!!!

24. matt says:

Still in denial Pia is not in the competition to care about idol.

25. Andre says:

I can hear Paul singing “Bring You Back” by Peter Stuart, movie was All Over The Guy. He probably won’t know the movie, but the song fits his style and it’s a well-written song that could benefit from some pop exposure.

26. ali427 says:

But the big question is: will anyone do “Against All Odds?”

27. Pia will sing My Heart Will Go…..oh wait just kidding.

28. It’s almost impossible to pick songs for this week because…”Songs from The Movies” that could be anything. What seems like an insanely broad topic to us is probably the world’s shortest list of approved song choices presented by the Idol producers. So while I sit here and think about rock & roll biopics they’re lucky if they can do You’ve Got a fricking Friend In Me from Toy Story.

Please God just no “Falling Slowly”. That scene in Once brings me to tears and Kris Allen’s version is the end-all so please just no one do that and it’ll be good.

• Whitney says:

AMEN! I was just going to reply and say “as long as no one sings Falling Slowly…” hahah

On Idol, that song belongs to Kris. For him, it was a bold, brilliant song choice and a beautiful, intimate, underappreciated performance. Everyone else who sings it after that is just a copy cat.

• AJM says:

I really loved what Lee and Crystal did to the song last season too — I kept listening to it for weeks on end. So no one else is allowed to do this track. Ever.

• Merrilyn says:

Totally, 100% agree with that!!!! Falling Slowly should not be performed on the Idol stage ever again. It’s been done amazingly well twice. Let’s leave it at that, shall we?

And I soooooooo hope Paul does Soggy Bottom Boys! That would make my week!

• McFudge says:

Scotty would have to change it up some b/c he doesn’t really have a bluegrass sound, but I’ll bet he’d do ok with Man of Constant Sorrows, too.

• GingerSnap says:

But this group of Idol players seem to be particularly ignorant of Idol history. I could see Stefano stepping all over one these Idol classics. And be utterly clueless about it.

29. sharona says:

Would love to see Casey sing Love Me Or Leave Me from the old 50’s Doris Day Jimmy Cagney movie of the same name. With the stand-up bass of course.

30. Eric S says:

If anyone does that Aerosmith Armageddon abomination, I will be ticked. I hate that song with a passion. One of the worst songs Aerosmith has ever done. Just awful.

I don’t want James to do “Live and Let Die”. Enough with the Beatles related songs. Whatever he does, it should rock. Why not do one of the original songs from “Rock Star”? It won’t happen because hardly anyone saw the movie, but some of those originals were pretty good.

The Jacob selections are amusing. I did find it funny when Jacob was trying to look straight in the TMZ spot. Yeah. Ok then.

Scotty has plenty of country selections to choose from. I wouldn’t mind hearing one of the songs from the recent Jeff Bridges film.

Nice selection for Paul with the Peter Gabriel song. Would be a good choice.

• evs says:

Journey did an amazing song for that movie called “Remember me”. I think they should switch to that one. And with all the Glee fuss on Fox they could pimp Journey some more and make it disgusting for the rest of us, original fans

• karen says:

I’m thinking more the Guns and Roses version of Live or Let Die than the Paul McCartney and Wings version for James. Much more rock than the original, and really has the type of vocal that James is good at.

31. Christina says:

Lets be realistic. They will only have a list of 25 songs max to chose from. Lauren will sing ” I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing”,Stefano will sing “Against All Odds”, Haley will try to tackle “Summertime”,Jacob will choose one of the diva ballads of the Bodyguard soundtrack (“I Have Nothing/ I Will Always Love You”), and Casey will probably revive his Jessica Rabbit number. Expect nothing original!

32. Lauren Alaina – How Do I Live, Diane Warren but I could get down to 9 to 5.
    Jacob Lusk – When You Believe, Mariah and Whitney
    Paul McDonald – The Weary Kind from Crazy Heart or The Power of Love by Huey Lewis – if you’re interested in a stripped down version of these cheesefest there’s one by the singer Ace Enders.
    James Durbin – Eye of the Tiger….mostly for my amusement.
    Haley Reinhart – I’m not sure but she might need a balad this week.
    Casey Abrams – Stuck in The Middle with You.
    Stefano Lagone – (Everything I Do) I Do It for You, Bryan Adams
    Scotty McCreery – Travelin Thru, Dolly Parton (!!!)

33. Titina says:

i actually would love Casey to do “In Your Eyes”. He could give it his own spin.
    He´s been solid the past couple of weeks. I am rooting for him. I don´t care what anyone says, he was so worthy of the save.

34. OY VEH says:

Jacob sing Lady Marmalade??? Michael…surely you jest! The kid won’t sing Let’s Get It On…you think he is going to sing about a Madame?????

Not a chance. Is he going to sing “Voulez-vous coucher avec moi ce soir?” ?????????

Not gonna happen.

I also hope no one touches “Falling Slowly” because it’s been touched golden, so anything after…just oxidized copper.

And if someone sings “Against All Odds” I’m going to hurl something at the TV. The song needs to be retired. So please NO Diane Warren and NO Phil Collins.

And let us not forget, that “I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing” is also from a movie.

So here’s my list of good songs but I have no clue who should sing what anymore.

I Need to Wake Up by Melissa Etheridge from An Inconvenient Truth
    Scarlett Tide by Elvis Costello and T Bone from Cold Mountain
    Streets of Philadelphia by Bruce Springsteen from Philadelphia
    Philadelphia by Neil Young from Philadelphia
    Vanilla Sky by Paul McCartney from Vanilla Sky
    Until by Sting from Kate and Leopold
    Things Have Changed by Bob Dylan from Wonder Boys
    Dead Man Walking by Bruce Springsteen from Dead Man Walking
    Blaze of Glory by Bon Jovi from Young Guns
    I Would Walk 500 Miles from
    Power of Love by Huey Lewis from Back To The Future
    Footloose by Kenny Loggins from Footloose.
    Run To You by Allan Rich from The Bodyguard
    That Thing You Do by Adam Schlessinger from That Thing You Do.
    On The Road Again by Willie Nelson from Honeysuckle Rose.
    Town Without Pity by Gene Pitney from Town Without Pity.

So those are the songs…but I’m dreaming about those.

What some MAY choose to sing (not necessarily what they SHOULD sing):

Jacob: The Rainbow Connection from The Muppet Movie OR
    Ben by Michael Jackson from Ben
    Lauren: 9 to 5 by Dolly Parton from 9 to 5. OR
    Hopelessly Devoted from Grease
    Scotty: On The Road Again from Honeysuckle Rose
    James: Blaze of Glory from Young Guns
    Casey: I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing from Armageddon OR
    Born To Be Wild from Easy Rider
    Haley: Fame from Fame OR The Rose from The Rose
    Stefano: Unchained Melody from Unchained OR
    My Funny Valentine from Pal Joey
    Paul: Live and Let Die from Live and Let Die

35. Theresa says:

Whatever is sung, nobody better sing “I Don’t Wanna Miss A Thing” It’s been overdone on the show and been killed by two Idol contestants in the past. It should just be frakking retired. Also, I do not want to hear Bryan Adams covered on Idol anymore.

36. RD says:

Haley-Hell Hole (from Spinal Tap)
    Lauren-Big Bottom (from Spinal Tap)
    Paul-(Listen To The) Flower People (from Spinal Tap)
    Jacob-Sex Farm Woman (from Spinal Tap)
    Scotty-Heartbreak Hotel(what else? from Spinal Tap)
    Casey-Heavy Duty (from Spinal Tap)or Blame Canada( from the Southpark movie)
    Stefano-Cups and Cakes (from Spinal Tap)
    James-Tonight I’m Gonna Rock You Tonight (from Spinal Tap)

Sorry,can’t seem to take it seriously at the moment……

37. ladyhelix says:

Outstanding Michael! Especially your picks for Paul, Casey and Scotty.

I think we’re going to have to work on Jacob’s though, he seems kind of “content sensitive”. I’d love to hear him sing something from West Side Story – “Something’s Coming”, “I feel pretty” (yes!), “Maria”, “Tonight” – but I don’t know if he’s got the vocal control for it.

I love your picks for Paul, but I also wouln’t mind hearing him put his spin on David Gray’s “This Year’s Love” from Crazy Beautiful, or “The Wind” or from Almost Famous.

Springsteen’s “Just around the corner to the light of day” was in a movie with Michael J Fox, and James is tuneful enough to carry it off, but I’d really rather see him do something a little less “noisy”. Maybe even Joe Cocker’s “Feels like Forever” from Cutting Edge.

Stefano needs to show he can loosen up and “stretch it out” – perhaps with Top Gun’s “Playing with the boys”. I originally picked “Playing with the Boys” for Haley – but that won’t buy her any votes with the little girls!! Maybe she could do “Good Morning Baltimore” from Hairspray – as long as she didn’t make it into a pole dance. Show us your range Haley!

I like your picks for Scotty because they’re NOT country. He should be able to put a Country spin on anything (with a very light touch).

38. KIATWF says:

Lisa Loeb’s Stay (Paul)
    Boy George’s The Crying Game (Jacob)
    Stevie Nicks’ Crystal (Lauren)
    Nina Persson’s The Bluest Eyes in Texas (Haley)
    PM Dawn’s I’d Die Without You (Scotty)
    Cowboy Junkies’ Sweet Jane (Casey)
    Tina Turner’s I Don’t Really Wanna Fight (Stefano)
    Cher’s You Haven’t Seen the Last of Me (James)

39. Phan says:

My Thoughts:

Paul McDonald – The Blower’s Daugher, Damien Rice (from Closer)
    Haley Reinhart – Bette Davis Eyes, Kim Carnes, (from Duets) or Purple Rain, Prince (from Purple Rain)
    Lauren Alaina – When Someone Loved Me, Sarah McLachlan (from Toy Story 2)
    Jacob Lusk – Kissing You, Des’ree (from Romeo + Juliet)
    Stefano Langone – Many Rivers to Cross, Jimmy Cliff (from The Harder They Come)
    Scotty McCreery – The Maker Makes, Rufus Wainwright (from Brokeback Mountain. No really.) or Girl, You’ll Be a Woman, Soon, Neil Diamond (from Pulp Fiction)
    James Durbin – Who Wants to Live Forever, Queen (from Highlander)
    Casey Abrams – Why Don’t You Do Right?, Peggy Lee (from Who Framed Roger Rabbit)

• Melanie says:

Oh my gosh, I love the idea of “Girl, You’ll Be a Woman Soon” for Scotty! Nice picks!

• chistosa says:

I don’t know. I think for a 17 year old to be singing Girl, You’ll Be a Woman Soon is a bit creepy. I think the earlier suggestion of I’ll Walk the Line would be better. I do love Girl, You’ll Be a Woman Soon though

• Phan says:

To be fair… “Baby lock them doors and turn them lights down low…” is equally creepy.

• Shannon says:

I think that line’s wayyy creepier coming from an adult. I agree with Melanie that this is an awesome suggestion! I freakin’ love that song!
          Now, about James… Does anyone think he could do “Gimme Shelter”? (from The Departed) Ya know, seeing as he didn’t exactly “rock” during Rock ‘n Roll hall of fame week.

• sharona says:

PERFECT choice for Casey, to revive this little gem! He sang this during the Top 24: Awesomesauce!

• Lunakit says:

Paul singing The Blower’s Daughter could be entirely awesome or altogether creepy…
      I can’t quite decide! If he does that whisper thing, it could easily stray into stalker territory. (crazy eyed, forward lean whisper) “I can’t take my eyes off of you…”
      See what I mean??!

• davey says:

I love The Blower’s Daughter but I doubt if most of America knows that song.

• Marta says:

Haha- I too thought it would be a good choice, but you’re right. The repeated singing of “I can’t take me eyes off of you…” would do NO favors to a dude who’s whisper at the end of Rocket Man is still creepily etched in many-a Idol viewer’s mind.

• Volcfom says:

I’ve wanted Paul to do some Damien Rice from the beginning. I doubt it will be one of the cleared songs, but one can hope!

40. Ronnie says:

Here are a couple of thoughts on movie songs, some stronger than others :)

-Lauren: “Not Gon’ Cry”, Mary J. Blige (Waiting to Exhale) .. showcase her voice and give it a touch of country to make it different.
    – Scotty “On the road again”, Willie Nelson (Honeysuckle Rose) .. he will not stray from country source if its available.
    – Haley “Let’s Go Crazy”, Prince (Purple Rain). This could explode if she just stands with passion in front of the mic.
    – Stephano “These Days”, Nico (Royal Tenenbaums).
    – Jacob “Purple Rain”, Prince, (Purple Rain). He could wail on this, maybe not for the better though.
    – Casey “What a Wonderful World”, Louis Armstrong (Good Morning Vietnam). Get back to basics.
    – Paul “Just Like Honey”, Jesus and Mary Chain (Lost in Translation) Or “Where is My Mind”, The Pixies (Fight Club) … The pixies could be a cool song for him.
    – James “Bring Me to life”, Evanescence (Daredevil) .. though I love the “Sister Christian” option as well.

41. Elaine says:

Lauren: “The Call” by Regina Spektor from Prince Caspian, “Good Enough” by Cindi Lauper (it’s on the Goonies soundtrack) or “Crystal” by Stevie Nicks from Practical Magic.

Hayley: “Lulu Revenue Dans La Village” from Divine Secrets of the Yaya Sisterhood, “Crazy” by Patsy Cline (I think it was used in Doc Hollywood)

Paul stripped down version of “Aside” by the Weakerthans from the Wedding Crashers Soundtrack

James “Welcome to the Jungle” from Lean on Me

Scotty: The Gambler, something by Toby Keith (not sure if his music has been used in movies?)

For results night, I’d love to hear Lauren and Paul sign “I’ll Fly Away” from the O’Brother Where Art Thou soundtrack.

42. erin says:

Paul MUST sing “I’m Easy,” from Nashville

If Haley could for once connect with a song, she would be excellent singing “It Goes Like it Goes,” from Norma Rae

43. Lori says:

Stefano Langone: I know where I’ve Been, from Hairspray

44. Lior says:

Michael, the picks for Scotty are just genius. If done right, it can be outstanding.
    However, I don’t think in a million years that he would pick any of them :)

45. Sophia says:

I like your choices, especially for Casey. I could see something like simon & garfunkel for paul, take my breath away for lauren, and walk the line for scotty. Born to be wild for james is to predictable, he won’t do that

46. Cindy says:

Glad you’re back after the shock of losing Pia so soon. I saw an interview where Pia said she was intending to do “Somewhere” from West Side Story. Wouldn’t it be nice if one of the others did this song in her honor?

I could totally get into Casey or Paul doing “In the Air Tonight” from Risky Business.

• Cindy says:

On second thought, one of them singing “Somewhere” wouldn’t be a good idea. Pia’s fans might take exception to this choice. Even so, I’d love to see it worked into the group number.

47. devon says:

Stefano should do True To Your Heart from Mulan.

48. Jay says:

James – “Heaven In Your Eyes” or “Take It Easy” or “Blaze Of Glory”

Haley – “Coming Around Again” or “If I Can’t Have You” or “Live To Tell”

Paul – “Meet Me Halfway” or “It Might Be You” or “I”m Alright”

Stefano – “She’s Like The Wind” or “King Of Wishful Thinking” or “Best That You Can Do”

Jacob – “Car Wash” or “Exhale (Shoop Shoop)” or “The Crying Game”

Lauren – “Let’s Hear It For The Boy” or “Hopelessly Devoted To You” or “You Light Up My Life”

Scotty – “Love Will Turn You Around” or “Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head” or “Hungry Eyes”

Casey – “A View To A Kill” or “New Age Girl” or “Old Time Rock And Roll”

49. queenrosered says:

OK…these are MY choices. And yeah, what were you thinking? If Jacob won’t sing “Let’s Get it On” he sure as heck won’t sing your choices, haha!Oh! And a big PS: I read from a couple of Jacob’s friends that he is NOT gay, just religious and very emotional about his music.He has mortal convictions that we don’t need to share, but should respect, in my opinion. Thanks.

Paul-Author’s Theme (The Best That You Can Do) OR Mrs. Robinson (The Graduate)
    Scotty-Everybody’s Talkin’ At Me (From Midnight Cowboy)OR “Somebody’s Baby” by Jackson Brown from “Fast Times at Ridgemont High”
    Jacob- “Shout”-From Animal House by Otis Day and the Knights(raise the roof Jacob!)OR “Greatest Love of All” from “Coming to America”
    James Durbin-Welcome to the Jungle by GNR from “Lean on Me” OR “Gimme Shelter” by the Stones from Goodfellas.
    Haley-“Son of a Preacher Man” from “Pulp Fiction” OR “White Rabbit” by Jefferson Airplane from the movie “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas”
    Casey Abrams-“Bad to the Bone” from the movie “Christine” OR “Try A Little Tenderness” from “The Commitments”
    Lauren A-“Not Ready to Make Nice” by the Dixie Chicks from movie “Shut Up and Sing” OR “Midnight Rider” by Gregg Allman from the movie “The Devil’s Rejects”
    Stefano-“Stuck in the Middle With You” from movie “Reservoir Dogs” OR “It Might Be You” from the movie “Tootsie”
    THAT was fun! Thanks! ;D

• Atticus1 says:

I love your choice for Jacob!

I think “Everybody’s Talkin'” would be a better fir for Paul. I don’t see Scotty singing a song from a movie with that subject matter. How about “Sweet Dreams” for him? It has some nice low notes that wouldn’t seem to be tacked on for effect. It’s in his country style, but he would get points for doing a song originally sung by a woman. I’m not his biggest fan, but I could enjoy that.

I’d like to see Haley take on “Stormy Weather”, especially since the recent passing of the great Lena Horne.

• L:izbeth says:

IA– Everybody’s talkin would be for Paul. It fits his vibe and not a big range in that song.

I really dislike Stuck in the Middle with You. That song has always got on my nerves–LOL I would love Casey to do Old Devil Moon from Finians Rainbow–Jamie Cullum swing/jazz style Now that would be awesome

• Kerry says:

Love “Try a Little Tenderness” for Casey! Or “I Got a Woman” or “Hallelujah I Love Her So” from Ray… But how about “Crazy” for Lauren, from “Sweet Dreams”…