Ratings: Smallville Pilot Repeats Well

The CW’s rebroadcast of the Smallville pilot on Friday night drew 1.92 million total viewers and a 0.7 demo rating, an improvement of 54 percent and 40 percent, respectively, on the series’ previous repeat outing.

I’ll also note that “Pilot” delivered more than double the audience of The CW’s Shedding for the Wedding, and even outperformed the most recent original 90210 and Gossip Girl outings. That’s all I’ve got. It’s all apples-and-oranges, anyway; I’m sure someone will note that was pre-empted in Chillicothe or something.

Elsewhere on Friday:

8/7c | NBC’s Who Do You Think You Are? this week led the hour on both counts, with 5.76 million viewers and a 1.3 rating. CBS’ CHAOS (5.64 mil/1.0) dropped 10 percent from its premiere.

9/8c | CSI: NY dominated with 9.42 million viewers and a 1.6 rating, down just a bit from its previous outing.

10/9c | Blue Bloods was the night’s most watched program with 10.3 million viewers, and edged out its time slot rivals in the demo (with a 1.5 rating).

1. Its cuz says:

SMALLVILLE ROCKS! Best show on television.

• Kelan says:

Is a good show, I enjoy it, but no rational person or critic would ever say is the best thing on TV, cause is not.

• NW says:

That was rude…

• luke says:

‘Best show on TV’ is relative and you have no right to criticize him… and given that by what most people think constitutes ‘Best’ (viewers and money)2 and a half men would be the best show *Shuddesr* and we all know Sv is WAY better than that.

2. Anna says:

I loved Fringe’s repeat of Brown Betty. I love that episode!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Its cuz says:

It’s an opinion based comment. I’m not gonna listen to what some stuck up snobby critic has to say about television – LMAO!

SMALLVILLE VERY WELL, is the best show on television!

SUCK IT.

4. Ryan says:

Matt! Smallville was preempted in Chicago for the NBA!

5. GimplyGump ☺ says:

That’s it. I’ve tried Chaos/i> twice and I find my mind drifting all the time. I quit. I think I can see CBS’s reasoning behind this show … CHUCK. They wanted to create an action comedy that attracts a cult and media following. I love Chuck, but Chaos is missing the magic that makes Chuck works. It just feels to me like a bunch of frat boys who never grew up trying to be spied. Red Forman, err, Kurtwood Smith’s character is no General Beckham. Just MHO.

6. Alice says:

I like CHAOS. It’s similarity/dissimilarity from Chuck is irrelevant, since they don’t air on the same network or compete for the same time slot. I hope it stays around, it would be nice to have something bearable to watch before Fringe comes on. I hate Chef Ramsey- so Kitchen Nightmares is not an option.

7. Helena says:

Thanks matt. This means that Pilot did better then the original airing of Hostage and Upgrade last season. Not bad.

8. Mary says:

It doesn’t shock me that the Smallville pilot did well in the ratings. The show has always sort of been the “little show that could” for the network. No matter where you put it…people will watch it. It’s been on virtually every night of the week–even Fridays–and it’s still always one of the most watched shows on the network. It’s been unappreciated by the CW, sadly, for the last 3-4 years. I hope the network promotes the final episodes of the series. The show has earned that much.

The pilot is one of my fave episodes of the series. It’s in my top 5 with “Salvation” from season 9 and “Homecoming” from Season 10.

9. Harnes says:

I think CW blew a great opportunity. They could have ended SMALLVILLE and begun Metropolis – a new series carrying over a bunch of the characters from SMALLVILLE. This show has a very loyal audience and after seeing the disaster that was The Cape there is more then enough room for the telling of Super Hero stories on TV if they are written well. My lord 90210 the next generation can find a slot on the schedule but a fun show with these great characters is going to die. But at least it is going out with style!

• GimplyGump ☺ says:

The thought probably went through their heads, but if I hear correctly, Tom Welling wanted to end, But that’s just I-net rumors not evidence in fact. If true, they probably could have done a Green Arrow of JLA spin off, however.

• Eastcoast says:

They still could do a Smallville spin off. Lord knows why they are not trying to capitalize on ten years of character development? Would it not be financially profitable for them? I wounder? I wish someone would let the cat out of the bag because a lot of us are scratching our heads as to why no spin off.

10. SnazzyO says:

“It’s all apples-and-oranges, anyway; I’m sure someone will note that was pre-empted in Chillicothe or something.”

Answer honestly now Matt — will you miss the insanity of this fandom or what?

11. Ing says:

It was really fun and nice to see them all young again, innocent of sorts, and to see Clark and Lana again, back when they were innocent. Clark and Lois have hot chemistry, don’t get me wrong, but seeing the way he looked at Lana in that pilot again, man, you just don’t see that anymore. It was also really fun to see the original characters that we have lost over time. I miss them, and had forgotten just how good they were. Sigh, its been such a good run!

12. Mikaylah says:

I love Smallville and would say it is ONE of the best shows out there. I’ve been watching it since it premiered and am so bummed to see it ending, but also super excited to see everything that will happen between now and the finale! :)

13. Caza says:

There are enough characters to create a spin off and it would be great if Tom Welling was in the spin offs and why did he not play as the superman that would be fab too!!!! Yes it is fantasy but it is good family show I love it and I have watched it over and over again it is sad that it is ending

14. Turtle says:

Watching the Pilot last night made me want to dig out my old DVDs. I loved early-era SV so much. And the cast was just so young! I’m looking forward to the final episodes, though. It’s time for the show to end, and I’m glad we’re finally getting Superman.

Oh, and glad to hear the apparent boycott from some fans had no impact on the ratings.

15. shann says:

10 minutes into the pilot the channel stopped worthing then continued to say the channel would be back in a moment for the rest of the episode =( an comcast sucks

16. Heather says:

Hooray for Smallville. I will miss it so much! I admit that I don’t watch the show live anymore, because Fridays at 8 are impossible for me. But I still love the show and download it and buy the dvd sets. It is one of my all time favorite shows! I’ll be crying so much at the finale!

17. sun says:

Thank you Matt for always posting Smallville’s tv ratings result as always. I can not believe that after this, only 5 episodes to go. Thanks for being a part of SV’s roller-coaster-online-ride!!!

18. Callie says:

Clark & Lana forever! At least in my mind … :D

19. robert says:

Smallville is the best show ever in history and the Smalville will always and forever be the best there is, the best there was and the best there will ever be!!!