NCIS: LA: Is Claire Forlani Replacing Hetty?

NCIS: Los Angeles seems to be setting the table for a bit of workplace conflict, and maybe even a full-on switcheroo, by adding CSI: NY alum/Camelot cast member Claire Forlani as the team’s operations manager — aka the position currently held by Linda Hunt’s Hetty.

Forlani will join the CBS procedural in the recurring role of Lauren Hunter starting May 10, says EW.com. The character is described as “attractive, authoritative, cool and calculating” and in possession of “a dangerous quality that suggests she is much more than your run-of-the mill operations manager.”

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on NCIS: LA and More

Both Forlani’s character and Hunt’s Hetty will figure into the show’s Season 2 finale airing May 17, raising the question: Who, who, who will be ops manager come fall?

Save the Dates! CBS Schedules May Season Finales

Anyone else think it’s a bit coinky-dinky that Forlani’s agent is “L. Hunter,” which is not too far off from L. Hunt? Or did I just overdo it on the pancake syrup this morning?

1. Daisy says:

They better not. I never liked her character on CSI NY, and I love Hetty.

• Dave says:

I am shocked to read all this Hetty love. I wasn’t watching NCIS LA b/c of Hetty. She has absolutely no appeal to me whatsoever. blah.
      Not familiar with Forlani from CSI NY, never seen the show. But give me some eye candy over Hetty any day. Yes please!

• And I’m shocked to read your comment. I can understand the possible hatred towards Nell, the new tech/intelligence expert but Hetty? I suggest you give the show another chance.

• Jay says:

I came to realize over a period of not too many weeks that Linda Hunt is definitely one of the reasons I like NCIS:LA. I don’t like the Mark Harmon version at all, but the LA characters draw me in, and Linda Hunt heads the pack.

I probably won’t watch it anymore if they get rid of her.

• Ingrid says:

Well, as long as you don’t watch the show and show no sign of being able to think with anything not between your legs, I don’t see why we shouldn’t all care about your opinion!

• Dave says:

Are you under the impression Hetty’s ‘acting’ role in this show takes great talent? A monkey can act in these procedural’s. Hell, isn’t Chris O’Donnell a lead?

2. Cameron says:

I did really like her in Meet Joe Black…. I’m willing to give her a chance.

3. melissa says:

I didn’t care for her on NY, and I love Hetty!! More and more, these shows throw away GREAT characters for temporary ratings hikes……NCIS LA may be over for me if that happens

• Erin says:

Agree. Was not a fan of hers on NY. And I absolutely adore Hetty. The whole concept that she’s small in stature but packs a big, mean, punch has always made me love the show. (Loved the whole wall climbing bit with her and G!)

4. Jane says:

I love Hetty and will not watch the show anymore if she is gone. Linda Hunt is perfect in that role and Hetty is perfect for the team.

5. DL says:

I expect there’s more to this than meets the eye. Certainly not a simple “replacement.” I happen to like Forlani quite a lot, but I believe that either both of them will be back next season, or only Hetty will. After all, why would CBS shake up its second-biggest scripted ratings juggernaut when it finally seems to have hit its rhythm?

• Amanda says:

good point DL why would they shake something up this big on such a hit show. Indeed there is more to this then meets the eye, which is typical from Shane Brennan and we need to remind ourselves of that.
      Either way though they have defintly gotten fans in a tizy and in an uproar which brings more attention to the end of season. I just hope that everything works out for the best. Linda hunt is an awesome actress and she so suits Hetty and I don’t think anyone can replace Hetty. I/we just need to keep hope that things will be ok.

• DL, my thoughts exactly to the letter!

• Annie says:

Well I beg to differ… CBS has made some errors. Like with criminal minds getting rid of two very important women on the show. So my faith in the is lacking right now.

• Sandy says:

Agree with you Annie. CBS does not have a good record of making good choices where their shows are concerned. It wouldn’t surprise me if they screw this one up too.

6. Jimmy says:

Only if that would mean Rocky Carroll was out as Director on NCIS and Hetty was in. It would be a hell of show to watch Hetty and Gibbs battle it out because I think Hetty could win.

• amandw says:

Hopefully Betty will be new Director. Good call.

• Bev says:

Oh, I do agree – I would love Hetty to be the new director. Rocky Carroll is boring.

• Kim R says:

Oooh! This is a fantastic idea! That would be such great TV!!! Good comment Jimmy! :)

• Jay says:

I would watch the Mark Harmon version if Hetty were to replace the Director. While they’re at it, they could get rid of Gibbs and Abby, too, who give me hives.

• Elle says:

Your comment about getting rid of Gibbs and Abby truly shows you do not know good TV. If any of the current NCIS team were to leave it would not be the same. The relationship between them is what makes it work. Vance does not fit though. I agree with that. But I have seen every single episode of NCIS and without the team as it is well, I see it going down hill fast. Gibbs makes the team work. Tony is the one that drives me crazy. His character needs to grow up and stop acting like a teenage clown. I just want to slap him half the time. Zeva, well, as long as she has been on the show I still don’t know what to make of her. I don’t trust her character much. McGee, LOVE his computer brain !!! Abby is PERFECT !! They all need to stay to make the team !!!

7. Deena says:

why are they getting rid of Hetty? :(

8. Aztec13 says:

Well she was in Mallrats so I’m OK with it.

9. John says:

She’s hot so that’s all well and good but, they get rid of Hetty and that show is DEAD TO ME!

10. rforeman says:

I hope not, I love Hetty. Her character is an enigma and i like it that way

• amadeline says:

I agree totally. I love Linda Hunt, and I don’t want to see another cookie cutter beautiful but (take your choice) bitchy, smart, deep hidden secrets/hidden past, can’t have a relationship/has a dead spouse/angry child [both], clashes constantly with team/has past relationships with team, has extreme bossy pants, woman in the role. Hetty’s character is so different from others currently on TV and Linda Hunt inhabits her so well. Long live Hetty!

11. teniba says:

I don’t think they will get ride of heity, she is just a recurring character, who will have a certain arc and then leave because her methods are not great for the team. Those tv shows are so often predictible… I like both actress, been a while that i have seen Claire Forlani…

12. teniba says:

Wow i think actors/actress who take those kind of jobs are quite courageous, because wahetver character you replace or come after, your character will always get a lot of hate in the begning and you as an actress will de hated as well!!!

13. lisa says:

NO….You cannot replace Hetty!!! She is the Glue Baby!

14. Mel says:

She. Can’t. Act. Period.

• Suncatcher says:

WHAT??? Linda Hunt “can’t act”??? She won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in the great “The Year of Living Dangerously!”

Looks like someone else had wayyyyyyy too much maple syrup today…!!!

• XK says:

Pretty sure that Mel was speaking about Forlani, not Hunt, as that’s one of the common refrains about Forlani. I totally disagree with the sentiment, but I guess it’s easier than saying ‘she’s pretty and that somehow threatens me.’ :P

• Pepper says:

Threatens who? Mel? Certainly, if they are in a constant battle for movie roles. Why would someone appearing on a screen would be threatening?
          Anyway, I don’t like Forlani either but it’s because she sometimes does this thing with her eyes like she’s squinting but not really (Jennifer Love Hewitt used to do this back in the day), and it makes her acting sooo pretentious.

15. Nell says:

if you overdid it with the syrup this morning then so did i, the l. hunt/l. hunter thing stood out to me as well.

i would hate to lose hetty, to me she is the heart of the show. i would however give lauren hunter a chance but if i don’t like her with the team i’d stop watching.
    but for now we don’t even know what’s really going to happen, i’m just gonna let it rest and wait for may 17.

16. Jac says:

Linda Hunt rocks – the guys won’t respect anyone the way they do Hetty – if they replace her – who knows, but I think the show will go down hill fast!

17. dan says:

I have two ideas, based on tvline/Ausiello rumours. 1) she’s taking over from Hetty & Hetty will take Vance’s place as Director. 2) They’re piecing together a new team for – I think NY is the rumour, but would much prefer Europe/south of Texas – and she’ll be the Hetty of that.
    …not connected to TVline/Ausiello rumours, she could just be stopping by for a bit, a new Cassidy or Fornell.

18. BJohnson says:

Oh Hetty is that show, she is the tough mom of the group. This is just a play for ratings. CBS is not that stupid, I don’t think.

• Suncatcher says:

@BJohnson – Oh, I wish you were right! But, CBS IS “that stupid” – they’re the ones who let their best actresses go from Criminal Minds this year – AJ Cook and Paget Brewster (then begged Paget back – too late as she went to NBC).

Let us pray…

19. Stacey says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if something happens to Vance in the NCIS finale, and Hetty is called to replace him. And she’ll appear on both shows, maybe more on NCIS:LA than he currently does. So they need someone to take on Hetty day to day role…

It would indeed be interesting to see Gibbs and Hetty going head to head…

You never know…

20. John C says:

Gibbs v. Hetty!

Love it. But NCIS: L. A. would be the poorer and as the younger spinoff that’s the show that needs her.

21. Vic says:

Is my household the only ones that hate Hetty? I would love to see a change and will give anyone a chance. But do not move Hetty to NCIS. That will totally ruin that show for me. Don’t like her at all!

22. Hugo says:

I like Hetty very much… please don’t replace her! The show wouldn’t be the same…

23. Dominique says:

Getting rid of Hetty would be a HUGE mistake. It’s like the original NCIS getting rid of Gibbs. I never really liked Claire Forlani either, but I’ll see you she’ll do. Nut replacing Hetty… No, just no.

24. steph says:

what?? this better not happen. Hetty is one of the few reasons I watch this show. Replacing her would be a HUGE mistake.

25. Suncatcher says:

KEEP HETTY!!! Love Academy Award winner, Linda Hunt! She’s “Mom” to all those great cast members on NCIS:LA!!! Don’t screw with great chemistry! Espcially don’t mess it up with an actress so many of us DO NOT LIKE…

26. João Amaral says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Hetty <3

27. XK says:

I like Hetty… and I like Forlani. Keep ‘em both.

28. waggy says:

They might do something like Vance did a few seasons ago with Gibbs’ team on NCIS. They may have Claire’s character replace Hetty for an episode or two, but our guys will somehow prove that Hetty deserves to be the leader and Hetty will get her position back.

Count me in as someone that likes Hetty! Admittedly, I was a little wary when I first saw that she replaced Macy, but that didn’t last very long. Now I love her character.

29. Dora says:

Love Hetty. Don’t think there is anything to worry about. As if they would fire Linda Hunt, lol. When it comes down to it it’s all about saying we have a Oscar winner in our cast and you don’t.
    Not looking forward to seeing Forlani on the show. Couldn’t stand her on CSI:NY and I don’t think she’s up to a role described as authoritative, cool and calculating and in possession of “a dangerous quality. Sounds more like a job for Christina Cox, Christa Miller or Bellamy Young.

30. Ariana says:

Oh no!! Hetty is the ONLY character that I love in this show! And Deeks, but that is totally for superficial reasons, haha! I love (read; adore) the original NCIS and this one is made watchable for me because of Hetty. Without her I will completely lose interest in this show (that doesn’t have that much attention from me anyway)

31. Andrea says:

I don’t watch the spin-off consistently, but I never miss an episode of the mothership. I like Vance, but if LA no longer wants Hetty, I’d love to see Gibbs and Co. grab her!

32. Eurydice says:

Oh, what exactly is a “run of the mill” operations manager? And I’m awfully suspicious of the NCIS brand of “cool, calculating, authoratative, dangerous” female. That’s what they thought they were giving us with Jenny, and she turned out to be a neurotic mess who was trying to hide it by being a jackass (although, I suppose that could also describe some of the other characters, both male and female). Hetty isn’t a wildly original character, either – she’s pretty much like Ducky – but she’s entertaining and smart and professional and rational. I don’t see what Claire Forlani would add to the story.

33. Renee says:

I did not like Hetty/Linda Hunt at ALL when this show first started, but the character and actress have grown on me. Now I’m all why do you keep trying to fix what ain’t broke? Got rid of Nate add annoying new girl etc. I think this is a bad idea.

34. Larc says:

NCIS will be winding up their season with the addition of a few characters who are starting to smell like another spin-off. I’m wondering if Forlani could be part of that setup. Maybe she will be an operations manager, but not the NCIS-LA operations manager.

35. Summer Bay says:

It’s pretty simple, she wants to go back to designing costumes for The Incredibles.

36. DannC says:

I have adored Linda Hunt since the Year of Living Dangerously, Silverado and so many more. NCIS-LA tried the beautiful Ops Mgr with Louise Lombard and then changed to Hetty. They need to remember their (short) history and leave this one alone!

37. jody says:

Leave well enough alone,u have a hit show with all involved,why bring in some else just look at criminal minds all screwed up now,used to love it now I won’t even watch the reruns.

38. David says:

If Hetty is gone, I will be, too. She’s a very interesting character, and Linda Hunt is an incredible actress and is the glue that holds the team together.

39. Joe Jackson says:

Hetty is the best part of the show

40. Melody says:

This is tragic news. I like Claire Forlani, but no one can replace Linda Hunt. Keep her, fight for her PLEASE!!

41. Darlene Robold says:

If Hetty goes, our family goes. The best part of NCISLA LA.

42. Matt V from Texas says:

@Dan- i heard that rumor too, someone was saying maybe NY or a Texas city. Maybe that is why they brought in Sarah Jane Morris and her team maybe they are gearing up for another spin-off.

Or it could be that Foelani is replacing Hetty because Hetty may be replacing Vance (which would be a god giving gift). With the Port to Port killer story line, i heard that a rumor that someone of the NCIS-DC cast was going to get killed off, maybe that person is Vance. I honestly think that is what happening.

• Suncatcher says:

@Matt V – I heard the same rumor about NCIS – DC losing a “main” character by season end. Ducky? Vance? Palmer? Abby? Oye…

No matter how they shuffle DC & LA (and a new location?) casts trying to replace Hetty with Forlani is all wrong – it will wreck the great LA cast chemistry that has evolved over the past 2 years.

Halp!

• Matt V from Texas says:

I meant that Foelani is bad, but if Hetty was to replace a killed off Vance, that would be good, i don’t like Rocky Carroll.

43. robby says:

any chance thats the blind item from a few weeks ago about someone getting fired from a still relatively new hit show? Either way, thats 3 cast changes in two years for a hit show

44. Whittles says:

No!! Linda Hunt is the ONLY reason I watch the show!

45. Bob says:

Has anyone considered Linda Hunt may want off the show for some reason? Or perhaps she wants more money than they are willing to pay her, thus, a stalling of signed contracts. Personally, I really like her spunk. I hope she remains. I do not care for Rocky Carroll’s role at all–he reminds me of a boss I had at work! Always negative! Give me Hetty any day–would enjoy working with/for her as a leader of the gang.
    Bob

46. NinjaPoodle says:

They had better not replace Hetty. She is a great character, wise, knowing with a hint of mischief.

Team Hetty all the way!

47. Janna says:

If Hetty goes,so do I. I have stuck with this show, which I dont find to have nearly as enjoyable storylines as the original, because of Hetty and my teenage crush on Chris O’Donnell. Hetty is the charm this show sorely lacks – replacing her would be a HUGE mistake.

48. steve says:

They better not hetty is one of the main reasons i watch the show.

49. Rory says:

Yeah, you way overdid it on the pancake syrup. An intervention may be required.

50. udontknowme22 says:

Grrrr… I really hope they are not going to mess with Hetty, she is one of the best things about NCIS LA!!!