NCIS: LA: Is Claire Forlani Replacing Hetty?

Get More: Casting News, Finales, News

NCIS: Los Angeles seems to be setting the table for a bit of workplace conflict, and maybe even a full-on switcheroo, by adding CSI: NY alum/Camelot cast member Claire Forlani as the team’s operations manager — aka the position currently held by Linda Hunt’s Hetty.

Forlani will join the CBS procedural in the recurring role of Lauren Hunter starting May 10, says EW.com. The character is described as “attractive, authoritative, cool and calculating” and in possession of “a dangerous quality that suggests she is much more than your run-of-the mill operations manager.”

Ask Ausiello: Spoilers on NCIS: LA and More

Both Forlani’s character and Hunt’s Hetty will figure into the show’s Season 2 finale airing May 17, raising the question: Who, who, who will be ops manager come fall?

Save the Dates! CBS Schedules May Season Finales

Anyone else think it’s a bit coinky-dinky that Forlani’s agent is “L. Hunter,” which is not too far off from L. Hunt? Or did I just overdo it on the pancake syrup this morning?

Comments (111)

• They better not. I never liked her character on CSI NY, and I love Hetty.

Comment by Daisy – April 9, 2011 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am shocked to read all this Hetty love. I wasn’t watching NCIS LA b/c of Hetty. She has absolutely no appeal to me whatsoever. blah.
      Not familiar with Forlani from CSI NY, never seen the show. But give me some eye candy over Hetty any day. Yes please!

Comment by Dave – April 9, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • And I’m shocked to read your comment. I can understand the possible hatred towards Nell, the new tech/intelligence expert but Hetty? I suggest you give the show another chance.

Comment by Ogla Sungutay – April 9, 2011 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I came to realize over a period of not too many weeks that Linda Hunt is definitely one of the reasons I like NCIS:LA. I don’t like the Mark Harmon version at all, but the LA characters draw me in, and Linda Hunt heads the pack.

I probably won’t watch it anymore if they get rid of her.

Comment by Jay – April 17, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, as long as you don’t watch the show and show no sign of being able to think with anything not between your legs, I don’t see why we shouldn’t all care about your opinion!

Comment by Ingrid – April 10, 2011 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Are you under the impression Hetty’s ‘acting’ role in this show takes great talent? A monkey can act in these procedural’s. Hell, isn’t Chris O’Donnell a lead?

Comment by Dave – April 10, 2011 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • That was just mean and quite untrue.

Comment by debbie – August 19, 2011 08:48 PM PDT
  • I did really like her in Meet Joe Black…. I’m willing to give her a chance.

Comment by Cameron – April 9, 2011 08:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t care for her on NY, and I love Hetty!! More and more, these shows throw away GREAT characters for temporary ratings hikes……NCIS LA may be over for me if that happens

Comment by melissa – April 9, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree. Was not a fan of hers on NY. And I absolutely adore Hetty. The whole concept that she’s small in stature but packs a big, mean, punch has always made me love the show. (Loved the whole wall climbing bit with her and G!)

Comment by Erin – April 9, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Hetty and will not watch the show anymore if she is gone. Linda Hunt is perfect in that role and Hetty is perfect for the team.

Comment by Jane – April 9, 2011 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto!

Comment by Gami – April 9, 2011 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me, too! Hetty is the best character on the show. Everyone else could easily be replaced.

Comment by Bella – April 11, 2011 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Did anyone ever notice how Hetty resembles Edna Mode from Disney’s The Incredibles? I think Hetty’s great.

Comment by Mo – May 19, 2011 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No way will I watch without Hetty. Who needs another beautiful woman on the show? I love Hetty and will be really pi$$ed if they replace her with eye candy.

Comment by Margie – April 10, 2011 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I expect there’s more to this than meets the eye. Certainly not a simple “replacement.” I happen to like Forlani quite a lot, but I believe that either both of them will be back next season, or only Hetty will. After all, why would CBS shake up its second-biggest scripted ratings juggernaut when it finally seems to have hit its rhythm?

Comment by DL – April 9, 2011 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • good point DL why would they shake something up this big on such a hit show. Indeed there is more to this then meets the eye, which is typical from Shane Brennan and we need to remind ourselves of that.
      Either way though they have defintly gotten fans in a tizy and in an uproar which brings more attention to the end of season. I just hope that everything works out for the best. Linda hunt is an awesome actress and she so suits Hetty and I don’t think anyone can replace Hetty. I/we just need to keep hope that things will be ok.

Comment by Amanda – April 9, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • DL, my thoughts exactly to the letter!

Comment by Ogla Sungutay – April 9, 2011 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well I beg to differ… CBS has made some errors. Like with criminal minds getting rid of two very important women on the show. So my faith in the is lacking right now.

Comment by Annie – April 10, 2011 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agree with you Annie. CBS does not have a good record of making good choices where their shows are concerned. It wouldn’t surprise me if they screw this one up too.

Comment by Sandy – April 10, 2011 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Only if that would mean Rocky Carroll was out as Director on NCIS and Hetty was in. It would be a hell of show to watch Hetty and Gibbs battle it out because I think Hetty could win.

Comment by Jimmy – April 9, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hopefully Betty will be new Director. Good call.

Comment by amandw – April 9, 2011 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, I do agree – I would love Hetty to be the new director. Rocky Carroll is boring.

Comment by Bev – April 9, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oooh! This is a fantastic idea! That would be such great TV!!! Good comment Jimmy! :)

Comment by Kim R – April 9, 2011 04:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would watch the Mark Harmon version if Hetty were to replace the Director. While they’re at it, they could get rid of Gibbs and Abby, too, who give me hives.

Comment by Jay – April 17, 2011 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Your comment about getting rid of Gibbs and Abby truly shows you do not know good TV. If any of the current NCIS team were to leave it would not be the same. The relationship between them is what makes it work. Vance does not fit though. I agree with that. But I have seen every single episode of NCIS and without the team as it is well, I see it going down hill fast. Gibbs makes the team work. Tony is the one that drives me crazy. His character needs to grow up and stop acting like a teenage clown. I just want to slap him half the time. Zeva, well, as long as she has been on the show I still don’t know what to make of her. I don’t trust her character much. McGee, LOVE his computer brain !!! Abby is PERFECT !! They all need to stay to make the team !!!

Comment by Elle – May 13, 2011 05:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why are they getting rid of Hetty? :(

Comment by Deena – April 9, 2011 09:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well she was in Mallrats so I’m OK with it.

Comment by Aztec13 – April 9, 2011 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She’s hot so that’s all well and good but, they get rid of Hetty and that show is DEAD TO ME!

Comment by John – April 9, 2011 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope not, I love Hetty. Her character is an enigma and i like it that way

Comment by rforeman – April 9, 2011 09:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree totally. I love Linda Hunt, and I don’t want to see another cookie cutter beautiful but (take your choice) bitchy, smart, deep hidden secrets/hidden past, can’t have a relationship/has a dead spouse/angry child [both], clashes constantly with team/has past relationships with team, has extreme bossy pants, woman in the role. Hetty’s character is so different from others currently on TV and Linda Hunt inhabits her so well. Long live Hetty!

Comment by amadeline – April 9, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think they will get ride of heity, she is just a recurring character, who will have a certain arc and then leave because her methods are not great for the team. Those tv shows are so often predictible… I like both actress, been a while that i have seen Claire Forlani…

Comment by teniba – April 9, 2011 09:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow i think actors/actress who take those kind of jobs are quite courageous, because wahetver character you replace or come after, your character will always get a lot of hate in the begning and you as an actress will de hated as well!!!

Comment by teniba – April 9, 2011 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO….You cannot replace Hetty!!! She is the Glue Baby!

Comment by lisa – April 9, 2011 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She. Can’t. Act. Period.

Comment by Mel – April 9, 2011 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • WHAT??? Linda Hunt “can’t act”??? She won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress in the great “The Year of Living Dangerously!”

Looks like someone else had wayyyyyyy too much maple syrup today…!!!

Comment by Suncatcher – April 9, 2011 12:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Pretty sure that Mel was speaking about Forlani, not Hunt, as that’s one of the common refrains about Forlani. I totally disagree with the sentiment, but I guess it’s easier than saying ‘she’s pretty and that somehow threatens me.’ :P

Comment by XK – April 9, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Threatens who? Mel? Certainly, if they are in a constant battle for movie roles. Why would someone appearing on a screen would be threatening?
          Anyway, I don’t like Forlani either but it’s because she sometimes does this thing with her eyes like she’s squinting but not really (Jennifer Love Hewitt used to do this back in the day), and it makes her acting sooo pretentious.

Comment by Pepper – April 9, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • if you overdid it with the syrup this morning then so did i, the l. hunt/l. hunter thing stood out to me as well.

i would hate to lose hetty, to me she is the heart of the show. i would however give lauren hunter a chance but if i don’t like her with the team i’d stop watching.
    but for now we don’t even know what’s really going to happen, i’m just gonna let it rest and wait for may 17.

Comment by Nell – April 9, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Linda Hunt rocks – the guys won’t respect anyone the way they do Hetty – if they replace her – who knows, but I think the show will go down hill fast!

Comment by Jac – April 9, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have two ideas, based on tvline/Ausiello rumours. 1) she’s taking over from Hetty & Hetty will take Vance’s place as Director. 2) They’re piecing together a new team for – I think NY is the rumour, but would much prefer Europe/south of Texas – and she’ll be the Hetty of that.
    …not connected to TVline/Ausiello rumours, she could just be stopping by for a bit, a new Cassidy or Fornell.

Comment by dan – April 9, 2011 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh Hetty is that show, she is the tough mom of the group. This is just a play for ratings. CBS is not that stupid, I don’t think.

Comment by BJohnson – April 9, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @BJohnson – Oh, I wish you were right! But, CBS IS “that stupid” – they’re the ones who let their best actresses go from Criminal Minds this year – AJ Cook and Paget Brewster (then begged Paget back – too late as she went to NBC).

Let us pray…

Comment by Suncatcher – April 9, 2011 01:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ah nice point and scary reminder with Paget Brewster.

Comment by Ogla Sungutay – April 9, 2011 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What *was* the point of replacing AJ Cook’s character with one who looks almost just like her?

Comment by Jay – April 17, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wouldn’t be surprised if something happens to Vance in the NCIS finale, and Hetty is called to replace him. And she’ll appear on both shows, maybe more on NCIS:LA than he currently does. So they need someone to take on Hetty day to day role…

It would indeed be interesting to see Gibbs and Hetty going head to head…

You never know…

Comment by Stacey – April 9, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Stacey, you give me an idea. I dislike Vance and would very much like to see Ms Forlani’s character replacing him. Tension with Gibbs would be interesting to watch.

Hetty is awesome and should continue leading LA.

Comment by Ogla Sungutay – April 9, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • As Director, Hetty would be leading BOTH crews.

Comment by Anna – April 9, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Actually, I’d bet good money that Hetty and Gibbs would get along really well.

Comment by Eurydice – April 10, 2011 05:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gibbs v. Hetty!

Love it. But NCIS: L. A. would be the poorer and as the younger spinoff that’s the show that needs her.

Comment by John C – April 9, 2011 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is my household the only ones that hate Hetty? I would love to see a change and will give anyone a chance. But do not move Hetty to NCIS. That will totally ruin that show for me. Don’t like her at all!

Comment by Vic – April 9, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Hetty very much… please don’t replace her! The show wouldn’t be the same…

Comment by Hugo – April 9, 2011 11:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Getting rid of Hetty would be a HUGE mistake. It’s like the original NCIS getting rid of Gibbs. I never really liked Claire Forlani either, but I’ll see you she’ll do. Nut replacing Hetty… No, just no.

Comment by Dominique – April 9, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what?? this better not happen. Hetty is one of the few reasons I watch this show. Replacing her would be a HUGE mistake.

Comment by steph – April 9, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • KEEP HETTY!!! Love Academy Award winner, Linda Hunt! She’s “Mom” to all those great cast members on NCIS:LA!!! Don’t screw with great chemistry! Espcially don’t mess it up with an actress so many of us DO NOT LIKE…

Comment by Suncatcher – April 9, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Hetty <3

Comment by João Amaral – April 9, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Hetty… and I like Forlani. Keep ‘em both.

Comment by XK – April 9, 2011 01:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They might do something like Vance did a few seasons ago with Gibbs’ team on NCIS. They may have Claire’s character replace Hetty for an episode or two, but our guys will somehow prove that Hetty deserves to be the leader and Hetty will get her position back.

Count me in as someone that likes Hetty! Admittedly, I was a little wary when I first saw that she replaced Macy, but that didn’t last very long. Now I love her character.

Comment by waggy – April 9, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Hetty. Don’t think there is anything to worry about. As if they would fire Linda Hunt, lol. When it comes down to it it’s all about saying we have a Oscar winner in our cast and you don’t.
    Not looking forward to seeing Forlani on the show. Couldn’t stand her on CSI:NY and I don’t think she’s up to a role described as authoritative, cool and calculating and in possession of “a dangerous quality. Sounds more like a job for Christina Cox, Christa Miller or Bellamy Young.

Comment by Dora – April 9, 2011 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh no!! Hetty is the ONLY character that I love in this show! And Deeks, but that is totally for superficial reasons, haha! I love (read; adore) the original NCIS and this one is made watchable for me because of Hetty. Without her I will completely lose interest in this show (that doesn’t have that much attention from me anyway)

Comment by Ariana – April 9, 2011 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch the spin-off consistently, but I never miss an episode of the mothership. I like Vance, but if LA no longer wants Hetty, I’d love to see Gibbs and Co. grab her!

Comment by Andrea – April 9, 2011 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, what exactly is a “run of the mill” operations manager? And I’m awfully suspicious of the NCIS brand of “cool, calculating, authoratative, dangerous” female. That’s what they thought they were giving us with Jenny, and she turned out to be a neurotic mess who was trying to hide it by being a jackass (although, I suppose that could also describe some of the other characters, both male and female). Hetty isn’t a wildly original character, either – she’s pretty much like Ducky – but she’s entertaining and smart and professional and rational. I don’t see what Claire Forlani would add to the story.

Comment by Eurydice – April 9, 2011 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I did not like Hetty/Linda Hunt at ALL when this show first started, but the character and actress have grown on me. Now I’m all why do you keep trying to fix what ain’t broke? Got rid of Nate add annoying new girl etc. I think this is a bad idea.

Comment by Renee – April 9, 2011 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NCIS will be winding up their season with the addition of a few characters who are starting to smell like another spin-off. I’m wondering if Forlani could be part of that setup. Maybe she will be an operations manager, but not the NCIS-LA operations manager.

Comment by Larc – April 9, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s pretty simple, she wants to go back to designing costumes for The Incredibles.

Comment by Summer Bay – April 9, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have adored Linda Hunt since the Year of Living Dangerously, Silverado and so many more. NCIS-LA tried the beautiful Ops Mgr with Louise Lombard and then changed to Hetty. They need to remember their (short) history and leave this one alone!

Comment by DannC – April 9, 2011 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Leave well enough alone,u have a hit show with all involved,why bring in some else just look at criminal minds all screwed up now,used to love it now I won’t even watch the reruns.

Comment by jody – April 9, 2011 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Hetty is gone, I will be, too. She’s a very interesting character, and Linda Hunt is an incredible actress and is the glue that holds the team together.

Comment by David – April 9, 2011 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hetty is the best part of the show

Comment by Joe Jackson – April 9, 2011 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is tragic news. I like Claire Forlani, but no one can replace Linda Hunt. Keep her, fight for her PLEASE!!

Comment by Melody – April 9, 2011 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Hetty goes, our family goes. The best part of NCISLA LA.

Comment by Darlene Robold – April 9, 2011 08:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • @Dan- i heard that rumor too, someone was saying maybe NY or a Texas city. Maybe that is why they brought in Sarah Jane Morris and her team maybe they are gearing up for another spin-off.

Or it could be that Foelani is replacing Hetty because Hetty may be replacing Vance (which would be a god giving gift). With the Port to Port killer story line, i heard that a rumor that someone of the NCIS-DC cast was going to get killed off, maybe that person is Vance. I honestly think that is what happening.

Comment by Matt V from Texas – April 9, 2011 09:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Matt V – I heard the same rumor about NCIS – DC losing a “main” character by season end. Ducky? Vance? Palmer? Abby? Oye…

No matter how they shuffle DC & LA (and a new location?) casts trying to replace Hetty with Forlani is all wrong – it will wreck the great LA cast chemistry that has evolved over the past 2 years.

Halp!

Comment by Suncatcher – April 10, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I meant that Foelani is bad, but if Hetty was to replace a killed off Vance, that would be good, i don’t like Rocky Carroll.

Comment by Matt V from Texas – April 11, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • any chance thats the blind item from a few weeks ago about someone getting fired from a still relatively new hit show? Either way, thats 3 cast changes in two years for a hit show

Comment by robby – April 10, 2011 01:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No!! Linda Hunt is the ONLY reason I watch the show!

Comment by Whittles – April 10, 2011 01:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has anyone considered Linda Hunt may want off the show for some reason? Or perhaps she wants more money than they are willing to pay her, thus, a stalling of signed contracts. Personally, I really like her spunk. I hope she remains. I do not care for Rocky Carroll’s role at all–he reminds me of a boss I had at work! Always negative! Give me Hetty any day–would enjoy working with/for her as a leader of the gang.
    Bob

Comment by Bob – April 10, 2011 05:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They had better not replace Hetty. She is a great character, wise, knowing with a hint of mischief.

Team Hetty all the way!

Comment by NinjaPoodle – April 10, 2011 08:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Hetty goes,so do I. I have stuck with this show, which I dont find to have nearly as enjoyable storylines as the original, because of Hetty and my teenage crush on Chris O’Donnell. Hetty is the charm this show sorely lacks – replacing her would be a HUGE mistake.

Comment by Janna – April 10, 2011 08:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They better not hetty is one of the main reasons i watch the show.

Comment by steve – April 10, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, you way overdid it on the pancake syrup. An intervention may be required.

Comment by Rory – April 10, 2011 11:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Grrrr… I really hope they are not going to mess with Hetty, she is one of the best things about NCIS LA!!!

Comment by udontknowme22 – April 10, 2011 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post