Amber Tamblyn's Post-House Plans Revealed

Get More: Exclusive, News, Pilots, Scoop

Following her well-received turn on Fox’s House this season, Amber Tamblyn is staying in business with Fox and House executive producer Katie Jacobs.

Tamblyn has teamed with Jacobs and The Wire co-creator Ed Burns for a potential drama series that would find the erstwhile Joan of Arcadia playing a young teacher in the world of public education. The project, which has received a script commitment from the network, is being produced by 20th Century Fox TV.

Jacobs came up with the idea for the drama and pitched it to Tamblyn while the two were working together on House. Tamblyn loved it, and the two then brought in Burns, who was a public teacher in Baltimore (as well as a police detective) before he segued into writing. The three developed the project together, with Burns attached to write and Jacobs to direct.

Also expected to be part of the show is Lin-Manuel Miranda, the Tony-winning writer-star of the Broadway musical In the Heights. Miranda, also a former teacher, is friends with Jacobs and appeared in the two-hour sixth-season premiere of House, which she directed.

Tamblyn, whose final episode of House is slated to air later this month, alluded to an exciting something brewing when TVLine Q&A’d her last month. “I have something coming up in the fall that is integral to why I left [House]. Once it’s announced, you’ll be like, ‘Ohhh, that’s why she left.’ And it’s a really good reason!”

Comments (45)

• Good riddance!

Comment by Sarabi – April 8, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jerk.

Comment by Tammy – April 8, 2011 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, she is. I’m happy to see that Amber had a really good reason not to stay with House. Added to the uncertainty of the show being renewed (thanks RSL for letting us know), it makes perfect sense. I didn’t watch Joan of Arcadia, but I’ve loved her on House, so I would make a point of catching this new show.

Comment by sashay – April 8, 2011 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Comment by Randy – April 8, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it called Room 222 the next, next, next generation?

Comment by BrianR – April 8, 2011 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If the new series is going to be called Room 222 , The Next , Next , Next Generation , then I shall expect some special guest appearances by the original cast members , or at least those who are still alive and working ( Karen Valentine playing Amber Tamblyn’s mom ? Bring it on !) .

Comment by Tracy Murray – April 8, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That would be intriguing. I wonder if she’s still alive? Along with some others in the cast – the married black couple were awesome!

Comment by sarah h – April 8, 2011 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, Karen Valentine is still around. She was in a movie in 2004 called Wedding Daze.

Comment by BrianR – April 8, 2011 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Hi. Michael Constantine, Karen Valentine, and Denise Nicholas (who played Mr. Kaufman, Alice and Liz) are all still alive. Sadly, Lloyd Haynes (who played Pete Dixon) died of cancer.

Comment by ISIS – April 13, 2011 08:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good actress, hated her character on House.

Comment by Sharrie – April 8, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, House is not the show for such a gooody two-shoes. She was just annoying.

Comment by crystal – April 8, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually liked her character. I thought she brought a great deal more to the story then the character of 13. Her view of the world was fresh and different from the other cast of characters. Hate to see her leaving.

Comment by Amanda – April 8, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I found her character’s naive optimism was a good foil for House’s crabby cynicism. It was refreshing and surprising to see the newbie stand up to him.

Comment by DL – April 8, 2011 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree! Not excited at all about 13′s return

Comment by mandy – April 8, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto! I liked her a lot.

Comment by Rintoo – April 8, 2011 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! One fresh, young idealistic view in a sea of sarcasm made for excellent drama.

Comment by Shania – April 8, 2011 05:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, such negativity…. I, for one, am excited for Amber and look forward to this series. Been a fan of hers since her GH days and am happy for her success. Sounds like they’ve assembled a great team here. I’ve got high hopes.

Comment by tinybuffyfan – April 8, 2011 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I’ve been a fan of Amber for a long time & I’ve seen her play lots of different characters. I loved her on House, but I am excited for 13′s return. I’m so glad Amber already has a project lined up, I’ll be checking it out!

Comment by KAYANN – April 9, 2011 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great actress, sad to see her leaving House. Can Kathy take Olivia Wilde instead? Pretty please?

Comment by Ant – April 8, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked Martha on House. She had a little bit of Cameron to her, but was not an exact copy. I would have liked her to stay on when 13 returns, but then I suppose it’s already a crowded house (no pun intented). Good luck to you Amber!

Comment by Looby Lou – April 8, 2011 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Tamblyn, but that sounds like a boring show. But I’m glad to find out what the “awesome” project that she kept alluding to. Mystery solved.

Comment by Amber – April 8, 2011 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House is falling apart. Everybody is leaving and the show is going down. Just give it an end. A good one please.

Comment by flor – April 8, 2011 05:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! It hurts seeing the show I love so much going to hell like this. The only good decision lately was the Huddy break-up. Although Huddy was a mistake from the beginning as well.

Comment by Sally – April 9, 2011 05:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lol Sally the hameron spoke XD

Comment by Lena – April 9, 2011 08:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Arghhhhh, I can’t wait for her departure from “House”! I know she has performed admirably elsewhere, but have been totally annoyed with every minute of her character on this show.

Comment by Lyn – April 8, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am intrigued by this potential show. There has not been a good drama about teachers since Boston Public, which I loved. I will definately be giving this a chance. Amber Tamblyn is a real talent.

Comment by Mandy – April 8, 2011 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Amber, LOVE Lin, very excited for this potential new show! ::fingers crossed::

Comment by Robin – April 8, 2011 09:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry Amber, you’ll just get lost as a teacher. The students usually overpower any faculty in a school setting. They become the star. Amber is not strong enough to overcome this.

Comment by Jon – April 8, 2011 11:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • masters and alvie? i’m in :D

Comment by Mafz – April 9, 2011 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved her in JoA, and I’m an education major. This sounds like a wonderful show!!

Comment by Tor – April 9, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 4 of THE WIRE is the measuring stick for a drama set in a public school, especially if said drama has Ed Burns along for the ride. He’s a Vietnam veteran who became a homicide detective and then took up teaching after he retired — and he said that the classroom had more in common with his war experience than with policing.

If the show’s allowed to be as dark, as bleak, as absurd as THE WIRE — with a no-sentimentality look at education in the age of standardized testing, No Child Left Behind, and gang violence — then it will be compelling television. But I seriously doubt a network would allow something that dark, that bleak, to happen.

Comment by Jason Tippitt – April 9, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ”Miranda, also [...] is friends with Jacobs”
    I have no doubt.
    KJ support her friends.
    Only her friends.

Comment by sonia – April 9, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There are no “afterplans” for Tamblyn. Katie Jacobs is comfortable enuf with one series (…and a hit at that)-thanks Hugh, Lisa,
      and all the telented writers. Jacobs must stop promising things to
      young,inexperienced actors. Jacobs has been “around the block” a few
      times and knows how hard times can be when you’re NOT associated
      with a hit. Jacobs has a hit, and, will not sacrifice it to do a spi-off or especially a new series. STOP THIS MADNESS

Comment by Vivi – April 11, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry she’s leaving House. I am NOT looking forward to Olivia Wilde coming back. Not for the long haul any way.

Comment by Lily – April 9, 2011 11:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t worry, she’ll only be around until the end of this season. She has a film “career” now. I just love how NBCU (or is it NBComcast now?) is putting the screws to 20th Century Fox over the 8th season of the show. Would you still watch it if it moves to NBC next year? Knowing the brain-trust at NBComcast, they’ll end up canceling Chuck to make room on the schedule.

Comment by Bob – April 11, 2011 06:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She’s not leaving after the season.

Comment by Bob – April 13, 2011 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Lin Manuel Miranda! I hope this show makes it to tv.

Comment by Maria – April 10, 2011 01:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Amber Tamblyn joined “House” because the “highr-ups” knew that “13″
    would be back after filming “Tron”
    Amber was only Hired to fill-in for “13…OK OK Olivia Wilde”.
    Now as an afterthought they say Amber has agreed to “sign-on”
    to possibly do a new series. Good cover-up for the fact that she
    and all the other “people” on this prospective project (except Katie
    Jacobs) have no full time employment unless related to the show
    “House”. I hate Hollywood BS but LOVE LOVE LOVE this series
    i.e. HOUSE!!!

Comment by Vivi – April 11, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!! She deserves her own show!

Comment by S – April 12, 2011 11:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I found the character played by Amber Tamblyn annoying and am happy 13 is back. Martha Masters was too naive for words and was an awkward fit with the rest of the group; must be a lot of Amber Tamblyn fans out there. Oh, well, as my mom and dad used to say, “To each his own.”

Comment by Lauren – April 13, 2011 05:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank Goodness…..she really didn’t fit and I was tired of her after the first episode……welcome back 13 we missed you!!!!

Comment by Felicia – April 13, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the escaped serial killer doesn’t eat her! Seriously, I’ll miss her like I miss Kutner, Cameron and even Amber.

Comment by Sharon – April 13, 2011 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with Felicia she didn’t fit in with the tough boys(that includes 13!)

Comment by sg2e – April 14, 2011 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awesome awesome news! The show sounds totally promising—I so loved Boston Public. Go, Amber!

Comment by lipsticksocialism – April 14, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My question is for House, with all the contracts up on all the charcters on the show save Oliva Wilde and Hugh Laurie, where does the show go at the end of the season? As it stands, one character on the show, “wilson” – he is going to broadway and cannot be signed back for a full season. So the question becomes, where does the show go if there is even another season? For that matter, even Wilde and Laurie have only one year to go – so next year is probably the last for the show no matter what if they somehow resign everyon else.

Comment by AcuraT – April 18, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post