Exclusive: Katherine Heigl Eyes TV Comeback

Former Grey’s Anatomy doc Katherine Heigl is poised to return to the small screen for the first time since checking out of Seattle Grace in 2010.

The Emmy winner has signed on to produce and star in an HBO original movie based on Ann Hood’s best-selling novel The Knitting Circle. HBO Films optioned rights to the semi-autobiographical book, which centers on a mother mourning the death of her young daughter and struggling to overcome the grief that jeopardizes every aspect of her life — including her marriage. She begins to find her way back into the world through a knitting circle.

Dirty Sexy Money creator and award-wining playwright Craig Wright will pen the adaptation. The gig brings Wright back into the HBO fold for the first time since his days as a Six Feet Under scribe.

Comments (47)

• Sounds like a Yuck-fest.

Comment by mikeS – April 8, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • at first thought i would say no,knitting? but it is hbo and six feet under is in my top ten best of all time, so maybe.

Comment by tom – April 8, 2011 10:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds interesting. If Katherine is in it, I’m there. Wish she’d come back to Grey’s but I understand why she left.

Comment by Kris – April 8, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah! She should come back and be with Alex

Comment by Karen – April 8, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No she should leave Grey’s Anatomy and Alex alone!!!

Comment by Butter – April 8, 2011 09:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds like a sappy lifetime movie.

Comment by xav – April 8, 2011 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HBO does great movies, so I’ll check it out.

Comment by Lorie – April 8, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Always good to see Katherine. Be a nice change to see her doing some drama instead of rom-coms. She did some fantastic work on Grey’s Anatomy.

Comment by Levin – April 8, 2011 10:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope she can bring something new to the table. She can only play the uptight, aggressive, stick up her butt woman so many more times. I swear whether it is “Life as We Know It”, “27 Dresses” or whatever, she is always the same character.

Grey’s has definitely improved without her annoying character.

Comment by Michael A – April 8, 2011 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you! I wonder if she can play anything but….even her Grey’s character was like that!

Comment by Linda – April 8, 2011 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I can’t see that at all. I agree that she’s the same in every movie, but I LOVED Izzie’s character (until the disgusting George/Izzie stuff, that just ruined her character) and she was anything but uptight and aggressive in Grey’s. If anything she was overly compassionate. Apart from when she blatantly and brutally went after her married best friend, I loved her character. If anyone is aggressive and uptight it would be Cristina. Although I love her character the most.
        I totally agree about her rom-com characters, but I do think she has real talent and she’s wasting it. Grey’s gave her some fantastic material and she’s failed to do anything great since then. Hopefully this gives her the opportunity.

Comment by Lauren – April 8, 2011 12:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I also think she did a fantastic job when she was on Roswell. She just needs to be more selective when she chooses her parts.

Comment by sarah h – April 8, 2011 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree, Izzie was anything but a stick-up-the-butt and her character in The Ringer was also a departure from her usual characters. Just because her more mainstream roles have followed the same formula doesn’t mean that’s all she’s capable of playing. Her character on Roswell was more of a strong, hardass than a stuck-up character as well.

Comment by Kris – April 8, 2011 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know! I’m so glad she’s off Grey’s now.

Comment by Silly B – April 8, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who finds her annoying? The trouble is that I really want to like her, but always find her characters one note. She’s uptight, tighly wound, a control freak, serious. She is matched with a carefree, loose, fun loving guy who makes her see her way. Hopefully she can show another side.

Comment by Kevin Stark – April 8, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • to Kris – uh, I certainly don’t understand why she left Grey’s Anatomy. I suppose because she wanted to advance her film career.. but that reason is not legit enough though, right?

Won’t be looking out for this. I don’t want to be biased but Katherine Heigl is just not likeable. Her personality just doesn’t do it for me. And to think that she was my favorite characters on Grey’s – whatever though, the show is better without her even more. I hope this flunks.

Comment by izzie – April 8, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can normally separate the actress from the role, but in her case I find it really difficult to do so. I know her actions outside of her professional career shouldn’t shape my opinion on her, but I can’t help but want to run the other way from anything she attaches her name to since her negative attitude towards Greys.

Comment by Lauren – April 8, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know! She just seems like such a b!tch. I remember Emmygate and Shonda saying that the writers only took it easy on her character because SHE (Katherine) asked them to so she could go film a movie! Ugh, ungrateful winch!

Comment by Lili – April 8, 2011 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited. Hopefully her movie choices are more inspired than her film choices. I enjoyed the romcoms, but this one looks more dramatic, so that’s neat.

Comment by Amber – April 8, 2011 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think its a great role for her. HBO usually makes quality movies and the book was an engaging read. Good for Katherine!

Comment by Kellie – April 8, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh thank you for this! Now I know what to definitely avoid on HBO. Will NOT be watching her skanky self pretending to act. Yay for previews beforehand!

Comment by Liana in San Diego – April 8, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love her, can’t wait to see it. Gosh don’t ya just love the haters they just keep making her fame go up and up lol. Im proud of her keep doing what you doing girl.

Comment by fernando – April 8, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the b**** is back. Why is she coming back to to a “smallbox” for. i thought she was bigger than that, Miss big star A lister celebrity. She is nothing but trouble, any show would be smart not to hire her sorry a**. too self entitled, selfish and obnoxious.

Comment by Marsv – April 8, 2011 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hi,
    There a MILLION pictures of Katherine Heigl on the internet and on media sites. Using a picture of her as Izzie with the phrase “TV comeback” is just mean, mean mean. Izzie fans never recieved the closure that Rimes owes us and pairing Alex with a Heigl look a like is just rude to the fans that the show has or in this case had.

Sorry just needed to vent for a sec.

Comment by ang – April 8, 2011 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree more! Thanks for venting about it before I did :-)

Comment by jen – April 8, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sounds very interesting! Then again, I will watch anything with Katie in it cause I love her.
    Miss her a lot on GA though :(

Comment by Dominique – April 8, 2011 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Izz :(

Comment by kris – April 8, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll be watching!

Comment by Brock – April 8, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! Love Katherine Heigl – I’ll definitely be watching!

Comment by Linderella49 – April 8, 2011 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perfect. I enjoy her. This is a one time only movie so she won’t have time to get sick of it and leave like she has done with her multiple TV series.

Comment by Diana – April 8, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a knitter this makes me happy :) I’ve heard really good things about the book, and almost everything done by HBO (True Blood for the win…) is pretty good. Knitting is my unemployment hobby, so I can definitely relate to the whole knitting circle bringing someone a sense of accomplishment and belonging. As someone who is also under the age of 30 it will be nice to introduce knitting to more young people.

I do have concerns about Katherine Heigle though…I do like her, but also agree that in the past few movies she has done she pretty much has been doing the same role with a different character name.

Comment by Amy – April 8, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate Katherine Heigl and the character of Izzie Stevens. On Grey’s she was an over emotional wreck who so would have been fired and probably prosecuted after stealing an organ! In real life she seems fairly ungrateful to the show that afforded her the opportunities to make all these crappy movies now. I just think she should go away!

Comment by Melody – April 8, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So HBO gets this talentless waste of space and Showtime gets Kristen Bell? Showtime is WINNING. When did HBO become the long lost sister of Lifetime?

Comment by bhm1304 – April 8, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly.

Comment by Derek – April 8, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Katherine Heigl….well I am gonna watch! Big fan of her work ; esp on Grey’s. Her character is surely missed on Grey’s to be honest.

Comment by Ingmar – April 8, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In Freak Accident, 34 Katherine Heigl Films Released At Once
    The nation is still reeling from accident at Sony Pictures which unleashed dozens of films starring the irritating actress on an unsuspecting public.

Comment by Bobo_prime – April 8, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When I read this headline I was so sure she was coming back to grey’s, ah disappointment ):

Comment by ana muller – April 8, 2011 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OOOOH ME 2! i was kinda jumping around here lol i miss izzz sooooooooooo much! i still wish she comes back to seattle grace mercy death lmao even it’s just for the closure of lexzie… i miss them and m.a.g.i.c. sooo freakin’ bad!

Comment by nathy – April 8, 2011 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cool. I’ve always enjoyed her dramatic side. I’ll be sure to check it out.

Comment by Kristen – April 8, 2011 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t understand why everyone hates Heigl so much…i mean, she is not the first actress who leaves a tv show,and she won’t be the last…and the things she said, people defines them as “ungreatful”…i call them “honest”, she just had the guts to say that Shonda Rhimes made some crappy choices, and we all know that’s true. I don’t understand why an actor/actress has to be always nice and fake…i think Katherine is a good actress and i’m happy to see her back on tv…i accept the fact that she wanted to leave grey’s, and the show, let’s face it, is kinda sucking now…

Comment by Dave – April 8, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • my thoughts EXACTLYYYY!

Comment by nathy – April 8, 2011 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve always liked Katherine, and I pretty much stopped watching Grey’s after she left. I really hope she nails this role. But can’t say the subject matter makes me want to watch. Sounds depressing.

Comment by CK – April 8, 2011 11:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, the b*tch is back? Whatever…

Comment by Liz – April 9, 2011 03:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would really like if she showed up on Grey’s for some closure. Imagine that:she left,discover that was miracolously pregnant,decide to keep the baby at risk of her life,leave video messages for everyone,then die. Her mom calls everyone. We have beautiful heart wrenching messages of love for all her family at Seattle Grace(instead of a cold goodbye like the last time),a beautiful love one to Alex(so their story and marriage seems more plausible),and a baby for Alex,with the challenge and the interesting turns that the story can have. Izzie’s character is saved and we have some closure. Fin!

Comment by lilli – April 9, 2011 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for this movie. I hope it doesn’t disappoint the fans. check out my related article about how knitting in a circle can benefit someone.

Comment by Fun-Hobby – April 9, 2011 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve read the book and it’s awesome. Don’t bash it cause it’s about knitting. There’s lots of sex in it too, and I’m sure hbo won’t forget to add that. it’s pretty scandalous and will make for a great movie. I can’t wait.

Comment by Gigi – April 13, 2011 10:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NO!!!! Keep her away from Grey’s. Katherine should just stop acting. Also, I wish she wasn’t casted for One for the Money as Stephanie Plum. She does not fit the image of the character portrayed in the book. Jennifer Garner or Sandra Bullock would fill the shoes perfectly!

Comment by Darla – April 15, 2011 11:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post