Exclusive

Castle Scoop: The Grim Reaper's Paying a Visit

I’ve got some good news and some bad news, Castle fans. The bad is that the season finale will also be one character’s finale! The good? Well, um, I’m sure it’ll be exciting.

May Sweeps Scorecard: At Least Eight TV Characters Will Perish Next Month

Obviously, I’m sworn to secrecy as to the identity of the soon-to-be dearly departed. But I can tell you that it’s someone who’s been with the series since the beginning. And the show is pulling out the big guns, figuratively speaking, for this swan song: As I reported in Ask Ausiello, Will Beall, who also wrote this season’s knockout “Knockdown” episode, will be the hour’s author.

Spoilers on Castle, Bones, How I Met Your Mother, Glee and More!

So, who do you think is gonna bite the dust? Guesses below. And in case you were wondering, yes, TVLine’s May Sweeps Scorecard has been updated to reflect this looming tragedy.

1. Kaitlyn says:

I think it’s gonna be Montgomery. I think he has something to do with Beckett’s mom’s murder. Like he said he worked on the case and everything. How do we know he isn’t the one who hired the guy to kill her? Idk, thats my thought on who will die cause they can’t kill Castle, Beckett, Lanie, Esposito, Ryan or Castle’s mom because that would be foolish. My guess is Captain Montgomery.

2. Annie says:

I don’t think it’s Gina. The season finale is supposed to be about the murder of Beckett’s mom, so it would make no sense to kill off Gina. She has no connection with Beckett and if anyone would want to harm or threaten Castle, he would choose Alexis or Martha.

I really hope they’re not killing a regular character, but I’m a little worried about Montgomery. On the other hand, they may also take someone not so obvious: The Mayor! I know, he’s only been in like one or two episodes, but Castle has been calling him regularly ever since the pilot. And without him, Castle would have never gotten the opportunity to work with Beckett.

3. nitemar says:

I think it’s Ryan..didnt Ausiello mentioned months ago that the actor’s was going to be his last on Castle?

4. Renee says:

Better NOT be Ryan and Esposito! Or Martha. Those interactions w/Castle make this show for me. I’ll be forced to drop one of my favorite shows if they mess with this ensemble.

5. Barbie says:

They would NEVER kill off Alexis. It would just kill Castle, to lose his daughter, it would wipe all the life off him.

I hope to God it’s not Martha. Just no…

And Ryan and Esposito are just perfect, they can’t be gone.

It obviously won’t be Castle or Beckett, so, I’m hoping to the Captain or Lanie.

6. k says:

It’ll be Gina.

7. Jetc75 says:

Why not Alexis : she is old enough to go to college. Princeton or Oxford, who knows ? But not in NYC City anymore.

8. Bazza says:

What about the characters from castles book, maybe he off’s one of them

9. Spiffy says:

The obvious choice would be the Chief, because he’s kind of useless on the show. Make it clear that Beckett actually has some rank (one assumes she has a higher detective rank than the other cops, but they never SAY so) and who needs the Chief. Beckett gets promoted to Lieutenant. Easy, peasy. Bye, Chief. Another Chief comes in, of course, since a Lt. won’t command a whole squad, but we hardly need to see him even as little as the current one.

Laine would be a bit hard core. I could see the show doing it, but not sure if its a good idea.

But here’s a theory. How about the (never seen on screen) Mayor? Who got Castle in the door.

10. Ferry says:

I’m thinking of Kenny… I mean, it’s Kenny in every episode… ;)

11. lynne says:

oh my, that spoiler is…intense?
    My guess is perhaps Jenny, Ryans fiancee
    I know it would be so sad for everyone, especially Ryan but I cant see them killing off another cast member like that…

12. Jen says:

I think it is actually going to be one of his poker buddies. According to something I read Stephen J. Cannell, real-life writer and poker buddy on the show, actually passed away back in the fall of last year. I think they are going to acknowledge it on the show, unless they already have, which I don’t remember happening.

• k says:

They’re acknowledging it this coming episode (3×21 – The Dead Pool) apparently so if that does occur I’m guessing its safe to say we can rule out one of his poker buddies as the season finale’s potential victim. I still stand by my assumption that It’ll be Gina, after all, out of all the characters who have been on the show since the beginning she’s the only one they really can’t get anymore stories out of, very much doubt they were planning on having her and Castle re-unite for a second time lol, so if it does turn out to be her it’ll be a somewhat bold but altogether safe move by the writers because although her death would have a temporary impact on Castle’s life its not going to have an on going impact on the show.

13. Cora says:

What other characters have been there since the beginning, aside from the main cast and Gina? If a member of the main cast is killed off, I hope it’s Captain Montgomery, because I really like him, but I like everyone else more. I wouldn’t mind too much if Gina was killed, it would create some interesting drama. What other possible candidates are there?

14. heelarryous says:

it better not b Esposito! we have such few Latino characters on network TV as it is!

15. laura says:

of course it’s not castle or beckett. but if they kill esposito or ryan i will be very sad. they are to funny to kill off

16. Brad says:

I think it will be Alexis – maybe she’ll be going to college or university??

17. Pradyut Kumar Ghosh Kanak Usha House Ghosh says:

My guess is it’ll be Castle’s mom..

18. Partha Ghosh says:

My guess is it’ll be Castle’s Mom

19. Darren says:

I hope it’s not the Captain – I really enjoy his brief performances, his expressions and mannerisms are hilarious and the character seems a great guy. I’d love the character to be expanded next season if anything.

I also hope it’s not Ryan, Esposito, Martha, Alexis or Lanie… but that doesn’t leave anyone really other than the main two which obviously won’t be in the equation!

My guess is it will be Lanie, throwing Esposito into a dark place.

20. Rachel says:

When they say a character–could it be niki heat or someone in the book? The spoiler says that a “character” is being killed off!

21. allessandra says:

It’ll be FUN !i! ha ha

22. Carrie says:

It may not be the death of a character, just the departure of one. If that’s the case Alexis may be going to college. She’s been making appearances less and less frequently as at is. It would be a logical cut.

23. Robert lane says:

I think its nicki heat

24. tracey says:

I say it will be Castles mum who gets killed of she,s been in it from the start

25. Chris says:

I hope it’s not Ryan… ;o;

26. Browncoat says:

R.I.P. Alexis – She may be the light in Castle’s otherwise dark world, but her character has gotten weaker and weaker as the series has progressed. I can absolutely see her being written off and the twists and turns that Castle’s life takes as a result

27. Mark says:

This might just a consideration, but it could be that the actor or actress does not want to be in the show anymore?

But I hope no one gets cut out.

28. Margie says:

Like a lot of people, the person I first thought of was the chief or lanie. But now that I think about it more, that doesnt really make sence. Lanie just started her not so secret relationship with esposito and the chief is just too awesome. I personally like the idea of offing castle’s ex wife gina. Think about it: It gives the opening for a grieving castle to be consoled by beckett….and opens the door for another kiss and quite possibly the revelation of hidden feelings for each other….just saying…..

29. Brenda says:

I hope it is Ryan. His character is boring. They would all mourn him.

30. I still haven’t gotten over Steve Cannell missing from the poker game! Can’t that be enough?

31. Sarah says:

I’m going to guess it’s Gina Castle’s ex/publisher. Didn’t remember so went back to season one and she is in the first episode so she’s at the beginning. I’m thinking it’s the 3XK (serial) killer that Castle felt so bad about him getting away. He liked blondes and Gina is a blond. Can’t see them getting rid of any of the main team characters. Unfortunately Dr. MB was not in the beginning of the show…This can lead to Beckett helping Castle out with a tragic loss like he’s helped her with her mom’s murder. Hopefully I’m right I love all the other characters…Gina not so much! :)

32. Maggie says:

I’m hoping it’s Castle’s mom (Suzanne Sullivan). I worked with her back in the 80’s while we were on Falcon Crest together and she was not a very nice person. Her part on Castle just doesn’t seem to have much to do with the story lines, so it would make perfect sense.

33. Jan D Yokrath says:

The Captain is the easiest to replace, they’ll probably replace him with some hard ass guy no one at the precinct likes and he gives Castle a hard time and is a chauvinist with Beckett. Or it will be a woman chief who has a thing for Castle and makes Beckett jealous. Someone close to Castle would be good because it adds some angst and some Beckett comforting wouldn’t hurt a thing ;) But it better not be Martha because she’s a ton of fun, and killing off Alexis would be just plain stupid, Castle could never realistically be his funny silly self ever again.

34. Carol Speizman says:

I hate the fact that the produces feel it important for the ratings to have someone of such an outstanding cast leave the program. Everyone adds to the stories. In my opinion this is a very very big mistake. Carol

35. Sara mumtaz says:

Maybe ryan gets married and moves away or something.

36. omb says:

I’ll make a guess that it’s the chief or one of the detectives. If they kill one of them, then it leaves room for a different male interest for Beckett. This would definitely create a ‘love triangle’, especially since Castle is so jealous.
    The show can only keep Castle and Beckett flirting for so long and they have to keep it interesting. Something’s got to give with them!

37. joe says:

i think, but hope not, something tells me that esposito is ready to move on

38. CocoM says:

I’d be happy to lose either one of Castle’s ex-wives. I hope it’s not Mama Castle or Papa Beckett because that would be sad. My gut tells me the Captain is involved with Johanna Beckett’s death so he might be the obvious choice.

39. Stephen says:

“the season finale will also be one character’s finale!”….Do we know if the character is getting killed off? Maybe it’s Alexis finale since she’s going off to college? I’d assume if this was the case then she’d make cameos here and there in future episodes. Just a thought since the writer of this article makes it sound as if someone is getting killed off rather then just leaving. If someone is getting killed off I’d think it is the chief. Or maybe Lanie since they had that other coroner in a few episodes (whom I enjoyed).

40. Jean says:

hope its the chief…need someone new

41. Yvonne says:

what heartbreaking news after such a sweet & heartwarming episode last night! i can’t believe this, and will be totally devastated if anyone from the ‘main’ cast dies. i know it won’t be beckett or castle, since they are the heart of the show…

i love EVERYONE on the team, and castle’s mom & daughter…please don’t kill them off. don’t think i can continue to watch it…

42. carol says:

I like Susan Sullivan (Castle’s mom)so I hope it’s not her! My guess is that it’s Gina! Won’t be Nikki Heat because, as others have said, that character is what provides Castle the chance to work with the police.

43. Debbie says:

I’d hate to see any of them go, they make up the show! Each has a special spot! It’s upsetting when a main person goes away. Is there another person in the squad room that has been in a lot of shows?

44. wandc says:

Castle’s mommy.

45. Bob says:

It’s Espizito. I know it.

46. AJK says:

I don’t like the ex-wives. Maybe it’s one of them.

47. Kate Elizabeth says:

I think it will either be the Chief. (I love him but would be the least devastated out of all the core characters) or Gina. Before anyone puts the second one down about the beginning, I would like to point out that she was in the very first episode, and was back in the show regularly for a few episodes when she and Castle were dating again. This could be wrong, but it is a legitimate possibility.
    So, my final answer?
    It will probably be the Chief, unless the writers want a coup on their hands. :p

48. Judy says:

Thinking out of the box, could it be Castle’s MOTHER? They didn’t say the person was in the police force. They only stated the person has been with the show since it started. It could be an option along with his daughter. Who knows???

49. Jessica says:

Time to face reality all you so-called Castle fans. It will most likely be Ryan or Esposito. Other than Castle or Beckett they see the most action. It wouldn’t make sense to kill off Castle or Beckett since they are what makes the show work. I’m not happy that they will be killing someone off, but let’s think logically here.

50. Margarita says:

No one thinks it might be Mother Castle?