Exclusive

Castle Scoop: The Grim Reaper's Paying a Visit

I’ve got some good news and some bad news, Castle fans. The bad is that the season finale will also be one character’s finale! The good? Well, um, I’m sure it’ll be exciting.

May Sweeps Scorecard: At Least Eight TV Characters Will Perish Next Month

Obviously, I’m sworn to secrecy as to the identity of the soon-to-be dearly departed. But I can tell you that it’s someone who’s been with the series since the beginning. And the show is pulling out the big guns, figuratively speaking, for this swan song: As I reported in Ask Ausiello, Will Beall, who also wrote this season’s knockout “Knockdown” episode, will be the hour’s author.

Spoilers on Castle, Bones, How I Met Your Mother, Glee and More!

So, who do you think is gonna bite the dust? Guesses below. And in case you were wondering, yes, TVLine’s May Sweeps Scorecard has been updated to reflect this looming tragedy.

1. Ann says:

I don’t want any of the characters to die!!! As much as I would hate it – I think it might be Martha. Isn’t Alexis going to college next year? If Alexis is away at college and poor Martha dies that would change things dramatically for Castle’s home life, not to mention make his stable world a little shaky. Also, if they solve a 3 season story arc in Becket’s mom’s murder- they might be opening up another story arc regarding Castle’s dad – which Martha never wanted revealed.

If it’s Captain Montgomery, I too would hate it! But I could see them working it into catching the mastermind behind Momma Beckett’s killer. It would also put the precinct in turmoil over the summer.

2. SnazzyO says:

I just recently got into this show (I’m mainlining iTunes, halfway thru S2).

I have to agree with other commenter:
    – This ensemble has a really good dynamic and a each plays an important role.

Definitely safe:
    – Castle, Beckett, Alexis; the two leads are obvious and it would be too dark to kill off Alexis. Any of these three would be premise-killers.

Likely safe:
    – Esposito and Ryan; too much fun. Not a functional advantage

Most likely safe:
    – Martha: again, it would be too dark for Castle. If she is murdered, I’m not sure he’d keep up with the shadowing

On the bubble:
    – Lanie:
    — Pro kill-off: Emotional impact, she’s out in the field
    — Con kill-off: She’s the only one who Beckett can talk to

– Capt Montgomery:
    — Pro kill-off: Emotional impact, shakes up the cozy office dynamic and could add tension to the group
    — Con kill-off: Montgomery lets Castle get away with alot, that’s kind-of necessary for the suspension of disbelief that this shadowing activity would last longer than a few months (which it has)

I also don’t think it’s someone way below the radar. Ausiello’s rules are “regular” and no go-backs.

So, I’m going with the Captain as it shifts the dynamic and they are probably looking for a functional change that is not a premise-breaker.

3. Kim says:

I think it will be the chief, and that he had something to do with the murder of Kate’s mom.

4. Mafz says:

it gotta be captain montgomery…

5. Mooshki says:

Kill off Beckett. I can’t stand Stana Katic.

• Kaitlyn says:

How can you not like Stana Katic?!?!? It can never be Beckett…..you got problems

• Anni-Bunny says:

What’s not to like about Stana??? You should stop watching Castle if you’re hoping for Beckett to die, because that’ll never happen.

• Kate says:

Seriously? What is there to not like about Stana Katic? She’s a fantastic actress and seems like a really great person!

6. Hope says:

hope it’s Alexis!

7. Terri says:

It’s the daughter.

8. Sara says:

The editor ex-wife. She’s been on since the beginning.

9. Adrienne says:

Yeah, I’m liking the Captain or Martha. I really do like Castle’s mom, so I hope it’s the Captain. It seems like in real life he would be more likely to run afoul of a bullet or something- Martha doesn’t lead such a dangerous life. But Susan Sullivan may just want to take it easy for a while . . .

10. I am thwacking myself on the forehead for not thinking of Gina; that option makes a disturbing amount of sense. I don’t think any of the main cast are likely at all, with the possible exception of Lanie (and that purely because Tamala Jones has often been absent due to other work).

“Since the beginning” does eliminate Lanie’s substitute, Perlmutter (who’d otherwise be a good pick); OTOH, it leaves the door open for killing off Judge…Markway, I believe it was, or possibly Castle’s friend the mayor himself. But I think Gina’s likelier than either of those.

11. Action Fraction says:

Is it bad that my first thought was “Ugh, please don’t kill off one of the few black people you have in this show”?
    It would really really suck if Lanie died. :/ Their boss as well, obviously… I can’t really think of anyone else though, unless they’re barely shown (like Beckett’s dad, but that would be a tad cruel as well)

12. XK says:

I suspect it will be Captain Montgomery, but I hope it’s Gina, as I like Monty.

13. Amy says:

Could it be as simple as an onscreen “good-bye” to Stephen J. Cannell???

14. Nytwyng says:

Notice it doesn’t say a regular…just “someone who’s been with the show since the beginning.”. Castle’s ex-wife/publisher has been around since the pilot.

15. Nancy says:

I think it’s Steven Cannell, the writer. Before his death, he was in all or most of the author poker games. I remember reading somewhere that they were going to write something about it.

16. Stacy says:

It maybe alexis…Molly Quinn posted this today…no more father daughter bonding…that IS some of the best parts of the show!!
    “@MollyQuinn93: OK, here I go with two days of tweeting to catch up on before I have to leave for an audition.”

17. Megan says:

Maybe it will be Nikki Heat? Killed off in a book or in the movie version of the book? She IS a character, and the reason that he started working with Beckett…

18. Bella Paige says:

No you cannot kill of the captain or Martha, or any of the detective, not Lanie, nor any of the Castles … No

19. bluebyu says:

It can’t be Martha! She’s the comic relief, and gives the series a little class. No it’s got to be Montgomery. It’s the only way it makes sense.

20. Kat says:

Gina, Beckett’s Dad or the Chief are all disposable but Gina would be the best one to get rid of! The rest of the cast works so well together that getting rid of any of them would seriously damage the chemistry of the show. I’m hoping it’s Gina!!!

• Anni-Bunny says:

I hope it’s Gina, too…
      But the thing is, why should they kill her in an episode that’s about the murder of Beckett’s mom. Gina has no connection with Beckett and not reason to be around. If anyone wants to threaten Beckett or Castle, they won’t choose Gina.

21. Kate says:

I hope it’s Gina. No one else on the show is dispensible.

22. Tami M says:

The term character can have so many interpretations – “characters” could be a term for the comic relief parts, so that could mean Ryan, Esposito or Martha. Castle would be seriously hurt if he lost any of these people. Plus, loosing Esposito would allow Ryan and Lannie to have some serious drama working through the loss. Loosing Ryan would make Esposito suffer and leave Lannie struggling with the supporter/rejected supporter role. I’m not sure loosing Martha would have as deep an impact – Martha is not as connected to the entire group.

23. CharlieBlue says:

It can might as well be the one who ordered the kill on Johanna Beckett. We may not see that person, the main person in that kill order, but that person have always been a major character – on the sidelines – all during Castle and for everyone involved. Which is all 8 main characters. I do not think it’s one of those or anyone else, we’ve met or seen on the show. That’s just my theory.

24. Not Myname says:

/character/ in italics??? You italicizes book titles… Nikki Heat maybe?!?

25. LOOK LOOK says:

LOOK WHAT I FOUND OUT ok it might be old news but i didnt know Question: Anything about the upcoming season finale of Castle? —Cheryl
    Ausiello: It’s titled “Knockout,” and its author is Will Beall, the scribe behind this season’s powerful “Knockdown.” Fun fact: That’s not the only common thread linking the two episodes. so ok most of you have to remember what happened in knockdown CASTLE AND BECKETT KISSED so i just want you to guess what do you think the link is between the two epis

• Enzell says:

Maybe their only connection is that the episodes have boxing terms as titles? xD But it would totally be awesome if ANOTHER kissing scene would be the similarity between the two episodes!

26. Kylie says:

OMG NO!!!! That’s so sad!!! I can’t even guess who it might be, because whoever I think of I can’t imagine they’d actually be killed off. Oh that’s soooo sad :(

27. Lynn says:

I think it’s the medical examiner who is not Lanie. I think he’s been there since the beginning and he worked Beckett’s mom’s case, which should be the theme of the finale since Knockout has a title similar to Knockdown, so it should be about the same topic.

• stanantic fan says:

I agree! And he was obnoxious! He was the first character I thought of. Then I thought Alexis’ mom, it would have more plot and feeling to it than just some old examiner that no one ever sees anymore.

Oh, and to the poster who said Beckett…..TROLL ALERT!!

28. Mel says:

Nikki Heat? Well probebly not, because then Castle has no excuse to stay around, or will he?
    No i defs agree with the Captain thing, and then they can bring in some new, young, hard-ass woman, who has a problem with the Castle/beckett team, and will try and break them up and they will need to overcome this new obstacle. over the first few episodes of next season.

29. BDrakes says:

Well, every season finale thus far has left castle and beckett appart from each other for the summer. Season 1 after he looked at her mothers police file, Season 2 after he went to the hamptons. So my best guess is that it would be something to prevent Castle from sticking around for a while, giving him time to grieve (for the summer)

30. Kim says:

it’s got to be writer Stephen Cannell from the poker game. He died in September and though the show acknowledged it the week after before the credits it hasn’t been addressed on the show/at the game. At least, that’s what I think.

31. angel f says:

I think it’s going to be Bob, NYC Mayor. I have this feeling of him being involved in the murder of Johanna Beckett.

32. Karen says:

I reckon its Gina… i don’t see them killing off any of the series regulars… definitely not the gang at the 12th and i doubt they’ll kill off martha and alexis. That would really leave Gina since she was in the show since the beginning as well.

33. Igloo says:

I think it will be Castle’s mother. Susan Sullivan’s talent is being wasted on this wonderful show. Both she and the daughter do not get enough screen time.

• the castle chick says:

Very true, they really should have a bigger part of the show. killing either of them off would be a waste, they should bring them on the show more rather than end their storyline. Killing off Martha would be awfully dark for Castle’s lightheartedness though.

34. Amanda says:

My guess, based on other spoilers I’ve seen, is Gina. She’s the FIRST PERSON we hear on the entire series.

If not her, then either the Mayor or Beckett’s dad. The cast was shocked, and I’m sure they wouldn’t do ANY of the main leads at the end of their third season. No one has shown any signs of being unhappy at all.

35. Linderella49 says:

Could it be the alternate medical examiner? The wacky acting guy that fills in for Lanie in some episodes? Gotta check and see which episode was his first. If not him, my money is on Gina. I hate to see the cast being messed with – the only person I want to see leave is Motorcycle Guy!

36. lulu says:

There is one character who has been with the series since the beginning and that is Castle’s second wife Gina…..she was at the book signing party at the very beginning of the first episode. So it could be her….since technically she has been there since the “beginning” Hope it is because I don’t like the idea of anyone else leaving :(

37. Archie says:

No no no!!! Please don’t make this happen :( If it’s Gina, it’s fine – the maximum I can handle is the Chief dying. Please don’t let anything happen to any of the others!

38. PatD says:

I’m thinking it just might be Esposito.

I’ve read that Beckett gets a new partner.

The actor who plays Esposito is probably looking for a more diverse career. He was terrific in HBO’s “Generation Kill,” and has probably had other offers.

If Esposito dies, Beckett’s new partner can take his place.

39. Seon says:

Nikki Heat – the fictional character from Castles books.

Meaning Castle ends his Nikki Heat book series and becomes maybe an advisor to the NYPD or something like that.

Remember Castles line “It’s not about the books anymore.” from episode Knockdown?

40. Bec says:

Ok so my first thought: oh god they’re going to kill Martha or Alexis – you know, to tie in with the rumours that they’re solving Beckett’s mum’s case. Then of course I got scared for all the characters – yikes! I agree that the only one they could kill off without it being completely gut wrenching would be montgomery but i’m fond of him.
    Which means I’m rooting for Gina to die. Or leave or whatever.
    But… characters is written in italics so … and this could be stupid but … could “Nikki Heat” be the dearly-departed character? …

41. Tsynne says:

FYI The actress who plays Martha on the show says she was shocked (as were other actors) when they got the news/script of that episode. And they didn’t know how the show was gonna pull it off exactly.

That to me hints at the fact it’s someone major in the show (not Gina) and it definitely has nothing to do with the book-series. Not to mention a third book has been hinted at to be released this year; Heat Rising, with Nikki still alive and kicking.

My vote goes to Montgomery. He probably does some digging for/alongside Beckett and Castle into Beckett’s mother’s murder-case, and they dig a little too deep. It’s a government conspiracy, I’m telling you, and what better way to shake that up completely and stop it in it’s tracks by orchestrating the murder of the head of a precinct?

42. arsya says:

i thought it will be one of castle’s family, so beckett can replace it. i really hope it’s one of castle’s ex wife

43. Libby says:

The Chief Montgomery, is seemingly the first choice they could pull off. BUT in the interest of balance I think it may actually be someone more important and more devastating to the Castle character, since Beckett has already lost her mom so I could even see it being Martha or Gina.

Don’t anyone rule out Alexis, I heard a rumor she was seriously being considered for a lead role in the NEW Spider Man trilogy of movies that will becoming to the big screen. Does anyone know if she landed or accepted this role?

We will all have to wait and watch. . .

44. Amy says:

I’m going with the “character” Nikki Heat!

45. Mike says:

Characters since “the beginning:”
    -Det. Kevin Ryan
    -Det. Javier Esposito
    -M.E. Lanie Parish
    -Martha Rodgers (Mother, played by the awesome Susan Sullivan)
    -Alexis Castle (daughter)

Note:
    All of these characters have been in all 58 episodes, but Martha and Alexis, I can’t believe, they would kill off. Fans would RIOT!

Emotionally as viewers, we have a budding romance between ME Lanie Parish and Det. Javier Esposito, as well as newly engaged Det. Kevin Ryan. Both detectives serve as a comic foil to Castle, and they reflect Castle’s narcissistic persona. They both live vicariously through Castle and his celebrity lifestyle.

From a plot standpoint, all 3 are at risk. We can’t have Lanie and Javier continue their romance, in light of the sexual tension between Castle and Beckett, or can we? I’m betting it’s either Lanie or Ryan.

46. teniba says:

It’s Lainie, they don’t know what to do with the Esposito/Lainie relationship, so they thought it would be better to kill heras a way to get ride of the relationship!

47. Phoebe says:

I think it will be Captain Montgomery.. I think he will protect Beckett and he’ll pay the price. Maybe take a bullet.

48. Matt says:

Stephen Cannell has been a recurring character since the beginning. The show has not dealt with is death yet. But it seams a bit macabre to center a show around it.

My guess is Judge Markway or the captain — they are the most expendable and the loss on an other character there since the beginning would damage the chemistry of the show. Even loosing the captain may be damaging.

On the other hand, they could kill off an off-camera character, like the mayor.

49. Don says:

I think it’s Captain Montgomery. He may have background knowledge or been involved with Beckett’s mother’s murder. There could also be a connection to the murder of Beckett’s former partner in the “LA” episode. This could lead into next season, knowing who killed Beckett’s mom but how do they prove it. Plus a new Captain will change the dynamic in the precinct during next season.

50. Jade says:

I think its gonna be his daughter like shes goin away 2 college or like living with her mom