Exclusive

Castle Scoop: The Grim Reaper's Paying a Visit

I’ve got some good news and some bad news, Castle fans. The bad is that the season finale will also be one character’s finale! The good? Well, um, I’m sure it’ll be exciting.

May Sweeps Scorecard: At Least Eight TV Characters Will Perish Next Month

Obviously, I’m sworn to secrecy as to the identity of the soon-to-be dearly departed. But I can tell you that it’s someone who’s been with the series since the beginning. And the show is pulling out the big guns, figuratively speaking, for this swan song: As I reported in Ask Ausiello, Will Beall, who also wrote this season’s knockout “Knockdown” episode, will be the hour’s author.

Spoilers on Castle, Bones, How I Met Your Mother, Glee and More!

So, who do you think is gonna bite the dust? Guesses below. And in case you were wondering, yes, TVLine’s May Sweeps Scorecard has been updated to reflect this looming tragedy.

1. mcat says:

I’m going to guess either the Chief or Lanie.

• sashay says:

Hope it’s the chief. He’s boring.

• Michelle says:

Read the entire post! It says a character who has been with the series since the beginning. It can’t be motorcycle boy.

• Zinger says:

Just had a thought that I wonder if the “death” could be a fake out sort of situation – meaning that since there is obviously a well connected and powerful conspiracy connected to the murder of Johanna Beckett, that the “death” of one of the major characters (I’m thinking Capt Montgomery or Beckett herself) would be faked in order to get the head of said conspiracy to drop it’s guard and get flushed out due to overconfidence that no one is pursuing them… So technically it would technically be the “death” of a main character, but not really..

• Erin says:

?

I don’t see any mention of motorcycle boy.

• Castille says:

My guess (especially since all the boxing related titled eps (Set up, Knockout, et al are Beckett centric) – my guess: Dr Motorcylce Boy…. Josh

• Y i think ur right says:

god i hope your right cause i hate him he is just a huge mistake on becketts part and on countdown (well the second part) you know when he said he didnt go well then WHERE WAS HE

• lala says:

It says a character from the beginning. Motorcycle doctor is NOT it. Use your brain! He’s a very minor character.

• castlefan says:

Except that “it’s someone who’s been with the series since the beginning.”

• Castille says:

Missed that part about being with the show from the beginning… In that case, since my theory is that it is Beckett centric, my vote is that since this seems to be a pretty big conspiracy, that Captain Montogmery will try to protect Beckett and pays the price.

• Teresa says:

I don’t think it’s the captain. He hasn’t been there since the beginning. My theory is it could be one of the other detectives. They haven’t delved into the characters at all.

• Bullfighter says:

Maybe Rick’s mother Martha Rodgers will have a heart attack.

• Enrique says:

She might get her big break and star in a motion picture and leave for hollywood

• Tammy says:

I hope it isn’t her…both the daughter and mother add to Castle’s character…It could be the ME…

• Krystal says:

Dr. Motorcycle Boy (as you so eloquently put it) has not been with the show since the beginning. Therefore, Beckett’s romantic interest will most likely be remaining with us, as sad as that makes all of us!

• ethan says:

The obvious choice would be Castle’s ex-wife, she was in the pilot has reappeared regularly and would mix things up enough without throwing any of the standard chemistry out the window. Castle’s mom and daughter are safe, Ryan and Esposito are safe. I’d be surprised if it was the chief, but he’s the only other character I could see going. Lanie I just don’t see.

• Jim W says:

What makes you think Ryan, Esposito, Mom, or Alexis are “safe”? These would be the ideal choices from a narrative standpoint.

• Sue says:

I bet it is Lanie – her and Esposito just got “exposed” as a couple so it makes sense that it would have the most impact without doing away with a main character. Bummer if I’m right though – I love her supporting character.

• Jenna says:

My guess is that Alexsis goes to college. I mean who said it had to end in death?

• Yeseylon says:

“Grim Repaer” is in the title, and the character is referred to as the “soon-to-be dearly departed”, and both those phrases are associated with death.
            Unless they’re intentiionally miswriting this to throw us off the trail, or the writer heard “leaving” and assumed “dying”.

• Betsy says:

I agree with Jenna. Alexis did talk of colleges during this last season!

• Linda Gatti says:

I think you are right Alexsis goes off to college

• L says:

I have to agree with this. Alexis goes to college.

• Stephanie says:

the title says grim reaper is visiting, that means death… alexis may go to college but she could still be on the show.

• Elizabeth says:

That was my thought. Alexis has to go to college. Maybe she’ll show up for various episodes, then.

• ams says:

that was my guess when i first hear/read the season promos that mentioned dealing with the loss of family or something like that. i thought perhaps the 3xk would be back as gina fits his profile.

• reckett says:

Ex-wife! nice call bro. I read somewhere that they’re going to LA for the finale and I believe that’s where Alexis’ mom is an actress

• Wendy Coe says:

Ethan , I hope you are right !

• Dawn says:

Why do think that Castle’s mom is safe? I can see her leaving, she really doesn’t have that big of apart. I wojld actually like to see motorcycle guy go to but not by death then Beckett would mourn him to much.

• KellethMetheus says:

The other person it could be is the other Medical Examiner he’s been there since the beginning and they might be planning to give Lanie more screen time.

• motherduck says:

I really hope it’s Alexis, maybe she could go and live with her mother, sorry but I can’t stand her.

• spalady says:

Not sure…but can I make one huge complaint? I hate the loud music that plays over the dialog… does nothing to make me feel more of the drama of the moment, just plain irritates me!

• tracy says:

I completely agree about the volume of the music… just plain irritating

• Becky says:

I’ve never even noticed the music. It plays during the dialog? It can’t be that loud if i’ve never even noticed it.

• April Hoffmeister says:

Loud music has been my complaint with all the shows I watch, it makes it hard sometimes to actually hear what they are saying.

• Lea Robinson says:

All the shows play the music so loud the dialog gets drowned out. Very frustrating, especially for the elderly, who then turn the volume up full blast and all the neighbors begin complaining as well. As for who gets bumped off, hope it’s the chief.

• bluebyu says:

I agree on the loud music aspect. It’s that way on several shows. It’s so loud you can’t understand the dialog.
        As for who is going to “buy the farm” in the finale, I believe either Capt. Montgomery, or the medical examiner Lanie aka Esposito’s main squeeze, will be it.

• Nadine says:

we have to watch the show the next day on the computer as we can’t afford cable. The volume is so low, we can barely hear it. All the volumes are turned up to high on the computer, etc., but we can barely hear anything.

• John Stagaman says:

Nadine–since Castle is an ABC show, you don’t need cable to watch it. You just need an antenna for your TV.

• Susie says:

If you have a laptop most manufacturers regulate the volume because they are used in public areas like airplanes, coffee shops, libraries. A simple fix is to take a portable speaker like you might use for an ipod and plug it into your laptop. The external speaker should allow you to turn up the volume on TV videos and dvd movies. We had this problem in Canada on vacation. Brought DVDs for the kids but the laptop at maximum volume was so quiet that no one could hear the movie unless they used headsets. But one of us had brought a small round ipod mini-speaker with a volume control on it. We tried plugging it into the laptop and it worked like a charm. All 4 of us were able to enjoy the films at a good volume. Good luck.

• TAZ says:

I fully agree with the music… it detracts from the dialogue, adding nothing to the scene. Lower volumed music would be better by far!

• Ruthann McCoy says:

You are so right about the loud music. Music is supposed to be on the background, and on all shows it’s louder than dialog. I love Castle!! I hope the one leaving isn’t mom or daughter. Have always loved Susan Sullivan.
        Like the suggestion that it may be a fake death to get Beckets moms killer.

• Michael Harbeson says:

I never really noticed this music during the dialog before… However, just in case this is your problem, the button on your remote with the “-” typically makes things a little more quiet. : )

As for the character that will be moving on, I Vote for someone in Castle’s family since that is where the majority of the full season storyline takes place aside from Castle and Becket of course. I like the above mentioned idea of Castle’s ex-wife.

All I know is that whoever it is they will be missed on the show.
        (Even more so if I am wrong and it turns out to be a more major character)

• Patty says:

I agree about the loud music…no matter how loud I have the TV, I still occasionally miss dialogue because of it!

• Yeseylon says:

I have no idea how ya’ll are hearing loud music, I understand the dialogue perfectly well. It’s yappy dogs and over talkative family members that wreak havoc for me.

• Marla says:

A husband that snores is my audio cross. Love Castle, hope it’s not Ryan or Esposito, although if they wanted to spin off that would be a good one. To that end, Laney might make for a good victim. I’ll be sad if it’s Martha.

• Juju says:

Try closed captionin. Dialog is clear and you can turn the volume down

• Chloe says:

I agree; when they are editing the music into the episodes, they don’t put enough emphasis on the dialogue so I end up having to turn my tv up really loud just to hear what they are saying a little better, and it’s still hard sometimes.

• jeanne says:

I agree with you about the loud music over the dialogue. Its on all shows now and even commercials.. I don’t know why they think it is dramatic..A look at old drama’s ,the loud music fades when the characters speak. The old way was much more effective and one can hear what the characters have to say.

• lttlsnwangl says:

I am hoping that it is the chief…I love Castle, Castle’s mom and daughter, Beckett, Ryan, Esposito and Lanie. Like the chief but he is the lease essential to me.

• Kaptain says:

I bet it is Castle’s mom. Remember that phyco that let Castle go but stole his cell phone with his Mom’s picture. I bet she is the one that is out.

• llenrad girl says:

Your probaly right kaptain that it is the mom but I hope it is the the chei. Oh yaa Mizzou rocks

• Sandy says:

I don’t think it will be Castle’s mom or daughter. He too would be in morning too much which would “kill” his romantic feelings toward Beckett.

• Mazzi says:

Hope it is neither of the two beloved characters.

• Lizzy says:

NOT LANIE!!!!
      she’s awesome!

• EmmaBeckett(Full Time Stanatic) says:

Thank you! I’ve been reading all these “Oh maybe it’s the ME.” and “It would make for a good story line.” What’s up with that!? I love she’s awesome! <3 At least someone understands.

• Jenn says:

We know Ryan is safe because he wasn’t in the pilot… I agree Alexis going to college is a real possibility, I don’t think they would kill anyone in the life of fire. They won’t get rid of Lanie without adding another woman to the work environment though, she’s Beckett’s only true confidant!

• TheStokeaticFromDK says:

Ummm… Sorry, Jenn, But, I just watched the Pilot, And, Well, Ryan WAS In It. So, Technically he’s not safe. Hate to see him go, Though, Cause I find him sweet and charming.

• yolanda says:

The chief or Lanie. The chief is nice but kinda boring. I love this show….

• Carol says:

I bet it is Castle’s mom … getting married our going off for a movie or something.

• Susie Q says:

The Chief and Lanie were my initial thoughts, but what if it’s Castle’s mom or daughter? So long as it’s not Ryan or Esposito, I think the show will be okay – it’s obviously not Castle or Beckett as there really wouldn’t be a show without them.
      I think the most tragic death would be Alexis…the actress is only 18 in real life so I can imagine her wanting to move on, focus on school or other projects, but for her character to die…Castle would be seriously broken if anything bad happened to his daughter.

• Marnina says:

No on the Lanie – we love her. I like the captain too – but breaking up the amazing cast just hurts.

• Paul Reavis says:

I do not know who the “character” is but I know of his character. Rathburn told us it was a “he/him”. The sequence, is “Sucker Punch”, “Knockdown” and “Knockout”. This is the end of the match for Joanna Beckett’s murderer. The “twist” is we may not know the character but the effects of the character were manifest in the very first episode. About 14 minutes into the pilot Castle tries to tell the story of Beckett and in so doing introduces the effect of the character, the character that made Kate a cop and set the universe on a course where Beckett could meet Castle.

I do not think it is anyone in the ensenble, but I could be quite wrong.

• Kirk says:

“ADAM: I’m desperately hoping this is a case of “it isn’t what it looks like,” but I’m hearing the show is looking for actors to play Capt. Montgomery’s previously unseen wife and daughter. Even worse, they’ll show up right around the same time the Grim Reaper is supposed to come calling.”

• eggbert1st says:

I agree it’s Lanie. Isn’t she pregnant in real life?

• Rose says:

I am thinking it could be his daughter; they could have her leaving for college or his mother as mentioned earlier, could leave and die off the show. I hope it is not anyone else because I love this show as is.

2. David says:

It is either Castle’s Mom or the Captain.

• josh cassella says:

I agree, I also think it may be Castle’s mom. If not, Ryan or Esposito would be my likely runner ups. I don’t think the chief has a big enough part in the show to center the finale around his death.

• Loneyb says:

I agree. Castle’s mom. Rather than the Beckett back story line, I think the Triple Killer will return and go after the Castle clan.

3. gabriela says:

OMG NOT MAMA CASTLE!

• Jack says:

Gotta be, Gaby; she’s getting on in actual years and probably could use the time. Besides, her character could turn embarrassing… but boy, she was great while it lasted!

• Beth says:

Seriously, Jack…”she’s getting on in years”?? Have you ever heard of Betty White? She’s probably the oldest active actress out there and is more popular than ever! I can’t say who I think it’s going to be because I adore the entire cast as is. It’s like comfort food on a Monday night!

4. Dennis says:

I hope it’s not Castle’s mother!

5. kate says:

The boss? That’s the only person I could mayyyybe see them getting away with not bringing back. I’m not happy about anyone leaving!

6. VWVWVW says:

Montgomery. He has something to do with Beckett’s Mom. That’s all.

7. jnthn says:

I doubt its going to be the chief. My guess is its Lanie

8. Tracy says:

I’d have guessed either the Chief or Lainie too. Really hoping it’s not Lainie cos I like that character.

9. Garnet_and_Gold47 says:

NOOOOO!!!!! No one should be killed off! The only person I can see is Captain Montgomery, but he honestly adds an element of comedy to the show. :( I’m bummed.

• Maxie Hinshaw says:

I don’t want anyone to get killed. Why is it so important to kill someone at the end of the season? This is my favorite TV show. Thank goodness Castle finally shared his feelings on last night’s show. Love Beckett and Castle plus all the rest—–even Captain Montgomery. He’s cool!!!!!!!!!!!

• lisapete6 says:

You wrote the EXACT words I would have used….I feel exactly the same way. It’s my favorite show….we never miss it. And I really like Montgomery…he keeps it “serious” when need be…helping to keep the comedy from overpowering the drama. I think it’s Alexis who is going off to college, but I think they’ll probably lead us to believe in the last episode that they are going to kill off someone else….and then in the end Alexis will be accepted to a school that she didn’t “mention” to Daddy, and it’ll be far, far away. This will also open up the opportunity for Beckett and Castle to maybe spend some time at his place w/o a teenager around, and with Mom dating the guy she re-met from year’s before, she will be out a lot. They set it up last show that Beckett and Castle could begin to get “closer”, so getting Alexis out of the way helps this along.
        Just my two cents.

10. ashley says:

I’m guessing its the captain. He is a main character but not exactly a major character.

11. Cameron says:

I bet on Lanie. She contributes the least to the team dynamic. I’d be pissed if it is Ryan or Esposito.

• John says:

I totally agree! If Esposito or Ryan die the show just won’t be as funny and interesting to me anymore. They will end up killing one of the two off, but they shouldn’t in this Season.

12. Katarzyna says:

I really hope it’s not Kate’s Dad, I want him to see his first grandson in the future…

• AJ says:

Seriously? You want to keep him around for an event we’re probably never going to see?

Let’s face facts. Being a cop is a dangerous business, especially in New York City of all places. All things considered, to this point, they’ve been extremely lucky.

Everyone should realize KB and RC are a long ways away from children. They haven’t even shared their feelings with each other yet. Rome wasn’t built in a day, and neither are stable adult relationships.

• AG says:

Wild guess, but I’m going to go with the assumption that the person posting that didn’t necessarily mean on screen, for pete’s sake. The fandom could continue, and if Beckett’s dad were to die, it would be a shame for him to miss…well, any events in Beckett’s life. And not necessarily with Castle, although I’m sure we’d all love that. But I’m pretty sure that ‘everyone’ does realize that they’re not going to knock up Beckett TOMORROW.

13. Dreamrose says:

Please, not Ryan or Esposito! What would we do without comments from the Peanut Gallery?

14. Justin says:

It’s got to be the chief, he is really one of the only ones who, while a main character, hasn’t been that important in the scope of things.

15. MC says:

It’s Captain Montgomery or Lanie. I don’t think they will kill Martha because she is critical to being there for alex and also the “home” aspect of Castles life is a key factor to keep his character grounded.

• V says:

That might leave an opportunity for Beckett to take more of a role in the family dynamic, Alexis has gone to her before.

It’s def not Ryan or Esposito they have too much chemistry together, they wouldn’t work as the side kick without both together, and they’ve been getting bigger rolls lately. The captain has had more lines also. While Lanie really hasn’t, and I think that her death would give Esposito more of story while leaving the opportunity for them to pull in a stronger female actress as her replacement.

I’d go with either lanie or castles mom

16. Bayuze says:

I bet it’s one of the 3 cops – the captain or the two partners of Nikki Heat. The cap’n will stay on – he never sees much action so it’s either the white dude or Latino dude! Sad, kinda love them both!

• Bethany says:

Just a question… how often have you watched this show?

• Bummmmer says:

How can you have loved them if you don’t even know their names/bother to look them up?

I don’t think the chief is going because he lets Beckett get away with WAY too much, any other filler would probably destroy that. Anyone of the main characters would destroy the chemistry of the show. I’m going to guess that it’s someone that is non-significant in most cases and that has been in the tertiary plot line since the beginning. The writers may not feel that the plot line is important enough.

17. klutzy_girl says:

Martha? Ryan? Esposito?

18. Annedreya says:

I’m guessing it’s Gina – Ex-wife number 2 and the Triple X killer is the one who takes her out. There’s no mention of the dead character being a major player and Gina was in the pilot so she was there from the beginning. Plus, we had some very early season spoilers about the Triple X killer and Gina was mentioned then as a possible victim.

I am with the other posters in hoping that TPTB would *not* kill off any of the main characters, including Martha. That would be suicide in my thinking. The show works for me because of the ensemble and every one of the characters, from the Captain to Lainie to Alexis to Martha to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern (Ryan and Esposito) are essential to my enjoyment of the show.

• Amy says:

You have just made me feel better. I do hope it’s Gina. I mean, I hope no-on dies but rather her over anyone else and as you said, she was in the pilot!

If its Ryan then I’ll be royally pissed off!!

• CR says:

I had come to the same conclusion as soon as I heard the 3XK is back in the finale. We know that he wants to make Castle suffer. It seems logical that to do so he would make an attempt on someone close to Castle, but it needs to be someone who also fits 3XK’s profile. Gina is just the ticket. I can’t figure out if she’ll be the first victim or the last. Will the cops recognize Gina and try to prevent Castle from coming to the crime scene? Will he recognize the address?

Castle doesn’t seem to have experienced real sorrow in his life, so this would be a new experience for him and a new way for Castle and Beckett to bond. He may even be responsible for planning Gina’s funeral service. And he’ll need a new publisher, of course.

But how would Gina’s murder lead to a season ending cliff-hanger? How will Castle react? Will he quit writing? Will he hibernate in the Hamptons? We he sequester himself from the precinct? Lots to ponder.

• AG says:

Ohh, that would be good, if it were Gina, for those very reasons. I’d be eager to see THAT unfold on screen.

• Bookworm says:

Love your thought provoking questions! Yes, Gina would be a good candidate for killing-off and because of Castle’s past with her AND the 3XK there could be some serious soul-searching by our favorite fictional writer.

• TAZ says:

I like your thought process on this one. It definitely would be a good choice, without destroying the great ensemble that has been put together on the show. Let’s hope the writers are os same thought with you here!

• ceckett says:

Plus, wasn’t Castle still dating Gina (for the second time round) when the 3XK showed up? I buy this theory

• Cindy says:

This would be a very good option especially if Castle and Beckett express their feelings for each other. Castle would back off, because he would worry about Beckett’s safety!

• ACP says:

This is literally the only death I’d be okay with. I’m already seriously upset if it’s anyone else.

• Hbomb says:

I wouldn’t be upset if it’s Dr Motorcycle boy….. sorry Josh

• Helix says:

He wasn’t on the show from the beginning.

• Hbomb says:

You’re right, I didn’t catch that little detail… unfortunately that does change things, so the most likely candidate to me would be the Captain with Lainey as a distant second. I just can’t see anyone from Castle’s family or Ryan/Esposito at this point, but you never know….

• Hannah Sydney NSW says:

O.M.G I hope so. I will seriously die if any of the other cast leave, this show works because of the great cast to randomly pluck one of the ensemble is show suicide and I have faith that Andrew Marlowe isn’t that stupid.

Just a thought but if it isn’t Gina couldn’t it be a fellow cop who has been there since the first few episodes? when did we meet Karpowski?

Here are my reasons for it NOT being a MAIN character;
      1. Castle – IS the show
      2. Beckett – is Castles partner and this show may as well hang up the tape/pen because it would fizzle without her
      3. Esposito – he is Batman to Ryan’s Robin
      4. Ryan – he is Batman to Esposito’s Robin (they are both Batman to me :P)
      5. Lanie – She is Beckett’s best friend and Esposito’s girlfriend, the relationship between Castle and Beckett and Ryan and Esposito would change and the show works because because of those relationships. Also they JUST gave her a good storyline with Esposito I doubt they would mess it up that tragically so soon
      6. Montgomery – though not a hugely central character to the show, is the voice of reason for Beckett, he is part of the team and he provides some great comic relief
      7. Martha – Is Castle’s Mum, she provides comic relief and essential to the home front. She keeps him grounded and is there for Alexis when Castle can’t be. Where would the show be without Martha bursting into a room
      8. Alexis – Is Castle’s Daughter, she is the most important thing in Castle’s life. She helps him with his books, like Martha keeps him grounded, provides great comic relief and is his procrastination buddy

This show works because these characters are wonderful together and the actors behind them are FANTASTIC. I have LOVED this show since practically the beginning and I am dreading the finale because this show could very easily go from being HOT to really NOT in one episode, with little chance of making a comeback.

Long Live the MAIN cast of CASTLE :)

• Jerri says:

If it’s Alexis, that would be a huge blow to Castle. But he’s not had that much drama in his personal life, and it would show how Beckett can help him out of this, too.

• Marnie says:

Well said! Let’s hope no one dies off the show and it’s just stupid rumor! :) Excuse me if I delude myself! I love this show too!

• Beryl says:

I’ll 2nd all of that hannah I coudnt have put it better myself.We all love castle just the way it is.

• drummer0886 says:

Karpowski didn’t come in until the second season, so she’s safe…not that we’ve seen her since, but still.

• Crycket says:

You forget…they killed off Wash in Firefly, they killed off Kate in NCIS…doesn’t matter how important a character is…if it is there time…it is there time…

• lkinnb says:

Apparently Crycket doesn’t like the letter ‘i’. It’s “their”. However illiterate, though, I do agree with your thinking.

• Dee says:

I sure hope it’s not Alexis but isn’t Mollie Quinn about the age for college. If she’s wanting to leave the show to go to college and they kill her off it could make an interesting plot. If someone stole his cell phone, we know it has an application (even though he erased it) to find her with the GPS. I’m sure Castle would blame himself for putting his family in danger just for research. It could make him and Kate get closer or put a big wedge between them. What do ya’ll think, she makes me wonder?

• Drew says:

Is it only me that recognises that in 95% of episodes it is actually Martha and Alexis who provide inspiration for Castle to solve cases?
        Everyone labels them simply as “comic relief” or keeping him grounded without recognising that fact.

I don’t think Castle would be where he is without that inspiration – which makes me think it’s unlikely they will kill off either of them.

• Lisa says:

Excellent guess – the loss of Gina would not have a huge effect on the show. All of the other characters are too vital and would be missed.

• Nikki says:

I have to agree with you here, however, Gina is the only acceptable option. The question is, how do we make this seemingly unimportant character’s loss a HUGE deal? We know that Gina’s come back a few times to hijack Alexis out of school for various girl time activities. What if she does it again and it gets them kidnapped? only one of them makes it back. THAT would be a huge blow, not to mention suspenseful. Thoughts?

• AJK says:

That makes sense to me. I can’t wait to see whose guess is closest!

• Barbara says:

I agree that it will probably be Gina…. it would affect Rick very personally but not really impact the show itself. And it was Castle’s FIRST wife that hijacked Alexis…..Meredith. who was not in the first 3 episodes. Gina was actually the first character we heard and saw in the first episode.

• mandy says:

OMG… I wasnt the only one who thought of that! BTW Ausillo that is one heck of a trick you would be playing on your faithful fans! Making us believe one of the fantastic Castle Crew will die!

• Beryl says:

I agree with you. I will be totally devastated if they do away with any of the main characters. The banter between them all is perfect and so realistic. Shows are never the same if they change one or more of the main characters and castle is perfect the way it is. its the one show I look forward to watching every week, but I will think twice about watching it again if its a main character that dies, I will be well and truely miffed as i love them all.

• Heidi says:

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern didn’t exactly end up well…

19. Lilly says:

Oh no!! The cast is perfect, every single one of them. The Chief is such a likeable boss, Castle’s mom is perfect :(

20. Sara says:

I don’t want to see anyone leave :( But if I had to choose, I’d say the Chief is killed in line of duty or possibly Castle’s mom in a more natural way – I doubt she’d be murdered. If Ryan, Esposito or Lanie are killed it would hurt the show a lot more. And we all know they wouldn’t hurt Alexis (its not that dark of a show).

21. Aline says:

I don’t want to see anyone go D:

But since it’s a fact, I hope it’s the Captain… I like him, but I like the others better.

22. Christine says:

Please don’t let it be Ryan or Esposito. They are amazing and so funny!

• Ellen says:

Agreed. I’d be very upset if anything happened to Ryan or Esposito. I like Captain Montgomery, but I wouldn’t miss him like I would miss the others.

23. Teresa says:

Hate to see anyone go. But, I’d have to guess Captain Montgomery, Martha or Lanie. Of the three I’d say most likely the Captain.

24. Jennifer says:

If they kill off Montgomery, then I could see an arc where Beckett get’s promoted or a new guy comes in to replace him and he’s a total jerk. If they kill off Lanie, I can see Beckett grieving for her best friend and Esposito for his girlfriend.

I don’t know. Any of the core characters dying is going to make me really sad. So much for ending the season on a hopeful note. Oy.

25. After reading another article (but before reading this one) I was thinking Beckett’s dad might die. But conversely, Martha makes sense… sad sense, but sense. If it’s Ryan or Esposito or Lanie, I will cry. Especially if it’s Ryan. *sob* I opened this article from a tweet that didn’t say what show it involved and I was dismayed to see my very favorite show!

26. Ceecile says:

I think it’s going to be someone not important. Kinda like what they did with the bird in Glee.

27. Deanna says:

Capt. Montgomery or Jim Beckett.

• Elizabeth says:

Ooh, I hadn’t even considered Jim Beckett! Poor Kate, though.

• Katarzyna says:

Ausiello said it’s the character who’s with the show from the BEGINNING. We’ve met Jim Beckett for the first time mid 2nd season in “Sucker Punch” episode.

28. susanne says:

I kind of “like” the idea of Gina dying…

I can’t really imagine the show without any of the major characters, they are all important and needed!

• Melinda says:

Yep, Gina is the only one who I can deal with dying. Even the Captain would be unacceptable, because I can see a new captain getting all cranky because Castle is allowed to go out with the team. Plus, I like the captain, just not as much as everyone else. As for any of the rest, there would be a huge hole in the show if any of them were killed off.

29. Dave SMith says:

It’s got to be the chief.

30. laura m says:

My thought is the captain. Would they be so quick to drop Lainie after revealing her & Esposito’s secret relationship? I think there is subplot mileage to be had with those two. And I can’t see them getting rid of Martha.

31. Holly says:

Crap. I like the cast so much I hate to see anyone go.

32. bluebyu says:

It can’t be Martha! She’s the comic relief, and gives the series a little class. Not it’s got to be Montgomery. It’s the only way it makes sense.

33. Joellyn says:

The chief made a real enemy out of the D.A. You never know who he has on his payroll, whether or not he’s behind bars. If not the chief, then I do think Castle’s mom.

34. DL says:

I’m gonna go ahead and predict Captain Montgomery. Ryan and Esposito provide a great amount of humor, and contribute a lot to the supporting cast. Considering that Castle is kicking some serious behind in the ratings these days, and how ABC needs to maintain ratings on its scripted programming, I would be incredibly surprised if Marlowe and the network decided to shake up the dynamic like that.

Further support for Montgomery biting it is that the season finale relates to the case of Beckett’s mother. It’s possible that it could be Lanie, but it seems like if she was killed, it wouldn’t be integral to the story – it would be more of a “caught in the crossfire” kind of thing, wrong place and wrong time. To me, that wouldn’t have as much impact.

Also, it may be possible that there is some behind-the-scenes discussion on Santiago-Hudson wanting to have more time either to return to stage work (a la “House” actor Robert Sean Leonard), as he is an accomplished playwright and Tony-winning actor, or go back to working on movies. He’s an accomplished actor, who I’m sure has a lot of opportunities waiting for him, and therefore might be more receptive to leaving the show.

• ChiChi says:

It must be how his character is written then, because he’s usually very dull without being supportive/inspirational etc. I’m not seeing this great actor shine in this part at all. I would love for there to be a new captain – maybe a fairly attractive older woman with a lust for Castle.

35. KATHY says:

why do they feel the need to do this? unless actor wants to move on

36. SB says:

Gina! At the end of the episode, after they’ve dealt with Johanna Beckett’s killer, Castle gets a call that Gina is dead. It’s the Tripple Killer and he kills her because…
    1. she’s blond and successful (like all his victims)
    2. he gets to hurt Castle
    3. it’s a set up for the next season

37. taw says:

Def Beckett’s dad

• Katarzyna says:

Again, Aussiello said it’s the character who is with the show from the BEGINNING. Beckett’s dad was introduced much later, mid-season 2. It’s not him.

38. ARASTALDO says:

MAYBE THE DAUGHTER! she is old enough to move out of the house to go university outside of town…..out of serie doesn’t mean dead.

• JC says:

My same thoughts… as much as I love the character of Alexis, my guess will be she’s the one leaving the show :/
      I would prefer it to be the Capt. but it seems more logical if it’s Castle’s mature daughter.

• amysgster says:

no, but grim reaper tends to mean death…

39. Stevie says:

My bet is on Martha, Montgomery, or that creepy ME Palmerner.

40. Ash says:

I’m going with Castle’s editor i.e. his ex wife. She has been with the show since the beginning, and played an important role in the beginning of this past season. The only other option would be one of his poker buddies. Note he said since the beginning, but he made no mention of them begin a regularly recurring character.

41. ady says:

i bet it’s gonna be a character from one of castle’s books

42. Steph says:

The word character is in italics so I’m assuming it will be the character of Nikki Heat in Castle’s books.

• Kelly says:

You ROCK! We are SO on the same wavelength!!!

• Ash says:

That’s a good one you two. That makes a lot of sense.

• allie says:

Nikki Heat wasn’t in the first episode (although to be fair, Ausiello just said the beginning, not the first epi). But who is the character in Castle’s books that Beckett reads?

• alice says:

I like the character idea but it won’t be Nikki. If he stops writing those books Castle loses his “excuse” to work with the police.

• michelle says:

i am starting the think the same thing, that its a book character. It couldn’t be Nikki so i’m kinda leaning toward Jameson Rook. Killing himself off his book might be a big deal.

43. Kelly says:

Anyone else wondering why Mr. Scoop himself used italics when saying “character”?? Seems suspicious to me. Perhaps Richard Castle is “killing off” Nikki Heat??

Just seems so unlikely that a major character would be killed off after such a short time on the air….besides the fact that the cast is so small to begin with!

• Katarzyna says:

If Castle is going to kill Nikki or Rook, it means that he’s going to break off his contract, which is for FOUR BOOKS together, if you remember in 2×05, after “Heat wave” success they’ve ordered THREE MORE BOOKS.

Plus, I really don’t see how killing of the fictional character would shock the cast…

• Jerri says:

Well, NCIS killed Caitlin Todd back at the end of season 2 because Sasha Alexander wanted out. so no matter how long the show is on for, characters/main cast can choose to exit, too.

44. Steffi says:

I think (and hope) it will be Gina…would be devastating “enough” for Castle and I really don’t wanna see anyone else go…

45. patrick says:

I’m wondering if it’s a clue that Aus specifically said “someone who’s been with the series since the beginning”, rather than “series regular”? So maybe it’s a recurring character that’s been on the show since the first season… like one of Castle’s ex-wives: Alexis’ mom Meredith, or Gina who is also his publisher. Or maybe Beckett’s dad Jim, or her ex-boyfriend the FBI agent. Any of those deaths would be impactful to the characters and the storyline.

46. Babette says:

What about Ryan getting married and leaving the 12th!! Think about that

• Brit says:

Actually, I read somewhere *spoiler* that they’re (maybe) doing a wedding ep in the Fall, so I don’t think that’s going to happen. But who knows, plans change.

47. Brit says:

Gina – she’s been with the show from the beginning. It’s not going to be one of the main characters (or even Martha, the Captain, or Lanie). I may end up eating my words, but my guess is Gina or maybe even Perlmutter. I’ll be devastated if it’s one of the other main characters.

Or who knows? Maybe it’s one of the book characters… dun dun dun. Plus, Ausiello types ‘characters’ in italics… it would be evil for him to do that to us, but technically it would be true. :-)

• Becca says:

Perlmutter didn’t show up until season two, though, so it’s not him. My money’s on Gina. (Makes sense with the 3XK thing.) If it’s anyone else, I will be really upset.

• Jason says:

TVLINE | Can you rule out a reappearance by Gina and/or Josh?
      I can promise you that they will not be showing up in the final episode. That element is relatively played out for us. And our audience has extended us some good will on that front. But we have other surprises in store.

Not Gina, sadly.

48. Becca says:

its got to be Gina ..I think if they kill off any of the other characters it would mess with the balance of the show ..

49. Mary Ann says:

NOT MARTHA or I swear I’ll quit the show.

50. Mary Ann says:

I don’t want anyone to leave, I hope if it has to be it’s someone like Becket’s dad. I love our core cast!!