American Idol: Who's to Blame for This Week's Horrible, Horrible Results?

It’s been almost 24 hours since what I would argue was American Idol‘s all-time worst results-show telecast — hey, at least Chris Daughtry and Tamyra Gray made it all the way to fourth in their respective seasons! — and I’m still reeling. How did the season’s most consistent (and arguably most gifted) vocalist, Pia Toscano, get booted so prematurely?

Idol’s Pia Reveals Her Bottom 3 Prediction, Wonders Why She Didn’t Rock Enough Votes

Yeah, yeah, I know some of you are gonna say, “Slezak, get over it! Pia was boring/emotionally distant/predictable/uninventive/blah blah blah!” But even if we agree to disagree on those points (and disagree I do), let’s be really real for a second: There’s no way anyone anywhere is going to convince me Pia shouldn’t have received an express pass to Season 10’s Top 5. If nailing every note of every song — and being among the best two or three performers for six consecutive weeks — wasn’t enough to at least outlast Stefano Langone and Jacob Lusk, then something in the milk ain’t clean, as the expression goes.

American Idol Recap: Rocky Horror

Anyway, with all the rage and sadness collecting in the pit of my tumtee, there’s plenty of blame to go around: to Idol‘s judging panel (get my thoughts on their failures here); to Nigel Lythgoe and the Idol production team (for failing to demand better of the judges, and for gifting Scotty and James with “girl mob” and “Hulk Hogan” moments, but never throwing a similar humanizing spotlight on female singers); to Jimmy Iovine, Will.I.Am, and their ilk (always worthy of some scorn, no?); to America (for its general voting heinousness); and, well, check out the rest of my options in the poll below.

In the meantime, I’ll express my own personal assigning of blame in musical form — to the tune of a Michael Jackson ditty described by Steven Tyler as one of the greatest compositions ever. Feel free to sing along if you find it cathartic:

I’m starting with the man in the mirror
I’m asking him to count his votes

Idol ladies they’re all disappearers
If you wanna send a girl to the Nokia
And avoid another case of the Gokey uh
You gotta dial and text
While you got the time
‘Cause 20 votes won’t do
With Pia’s dreams on the line!

No need for a Standing O, thanks. Those are reserved for Scotty McCreery and James Durbin only. Sound off in the poll below, share your thoughts/rants/rebukes/lyrics in the comments, and do please follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV!

Loading video...

Loading video...

Loading video...

Loading video...

1. MQ says:

I understand why everybody it’s shocked but the truth is, she was boring and predictable. She have the best vocal technique and a good range but her tone and color are not that great.

• liz says:

like x2
        Nothing against Pia, but since the voting structure of Idol has always been based on voting to keep people in, and not voting to get rid of, it’s clear that even if you liked her, even if you thought she was gifted, sang well, the best one over all, whatever, even if….IF enough people didn’t vote for her specifically on Wednesday night, she goes home. She was consistently good, but never great and never connected with the audience, which is a competition that is at least 50% popularity contest, shouldn’t surprise anyone. I really can’t believe people are so “shocked” about her elimination. Of course she sang better than ninth place.

• melodyyyy says:

I could not have agreed more with your statement! There is a solid reason why she was voted off! NEVER CONNECTED WITH THE AUDIENCE! And wayyyy too aloof. Not likeable AT ALL!

• lindalou says:

Actually, I really think she got outted because of that AWFUL outfit she wore! Gwen S………how could you! It was really the only thing I could think about during and after her performance! Who would wear such a thing in front of millions of viewers! No taste!

• Arthur says:

Of course the comment section is going to say that.

Full of WGWG stans of previous seasons trying to justify the bias in the voting.

Male winners have been trash for the most part, Kris and lee have done nothing, they are as boring as wallpaper and couldn’t talk for two seconds on national television without people passing out in front of their tvs. Yet the vastly superior female vocalist goes home at 9.

• Waste of save on Casey says:

That is why the messed up when they saved Casey. Why didn’t you mention THAT Slezak???

That was a major factor and Casey was not deserving of that save.

• Brittany says:

If Pia hadn’t gone home last night few people would be saying the save was wasted on Casey. So it is not Casey’s fault. It is purely circumstantial based on last night’s elimination alone. He was deserving of that save, as was Pia.

• Anna says:

No he wasn’t. The general consensus of people I know is that he doesn’t even belong in the finals. Mediocre voice, horrible stage presence and hideous.

• Brittany says:

Clearly the consensus of people you know (like 100-200 people?) has zero power. A lot of people like him, including the judges, hence he was not voted off. And for all the people saying that girls are shallow/jealous, etc. for not liking Pia, look at what you just said. In your reasons for why Casey shouldn’t have gotten the save was “hideous”. Really? And I beg to differ on the zero stage presence, he’s a comedian and showed more personality than Pia ever did.

• GingerSnap says:

I’ve had moments when I’ve enjoyed Casey, but 3 out of his last 4 performances have been sub-par & boring. The problem is that he fits the mould of the last 3 Idol winners – nonthreatening white guy with a string instrument. The chances are pretty strong that the top 4 this season aore going to be the nonthreatening WGWG. Heck, it’s a good possibility that a girl won’t crack the top 5. Personally, I’m not okay with that. ARE YOU?

• Brittany says:

@Gingersnap, I agree. Casey is not my favorite, and I don’t think his performances have been the best of the night. However, he didn’t deserve to leave before some of the other contestants, so the save was used correctly at THAT moment in the competition. No one knew that Pia would be in this position so early and that is unfortunate. Most people I know (which is not a majority by any means) liked Pia, but they are guys, and guys usually aren’t as into the show and/or don’t vote. I just don’t think it is fair to blame Casey for something the judges completely controlled. If the top 5 is all male, than that is the top 5 based on the number of votes. I don’t get the America Hate’s Women thing going around. This is not a feminism issue!!! Just because certain populations vote obsessively for certain male contestants it doesn’t mean they hate women, it just means they prefer the male contestant for whatever reason (as stupid as it may be). As for the Top 5, I don’t know who it should be at this point, but it definitely should not include Stefano and Jacob (IMO). That leaves, Lauren, Haley, Paul, Casey, James, and Scotty to battle for the Top 5. Paul will probably be gone before then because he is too polarizing. Casey might even be gone by then. There’s a good chance two girls will crack the top 5. Either way, this is not the end of the world.

• whowho says:

Casey was saved because they wanted him on the tour. He would increase ticket sales.

• Tarc says:

Yeah, Anna, the consensu among everyone I know is that Casey’s the clear winner, and the rest aren;t even close. So what? Iovine’s already working on Pia’s contract (it’s already in the news), so she won’t care a bit – all the plusses and none of the minuses.

• Michael says:

Anna…I guess it’s a good thing that I don’t give two sh1ts about what you and “the majority” of the people you know think. You should contact the Gallup to let them know of your polling acumen.

• c.w. says:

what is this obsession with the stupid save? everyone knew it was gone so if the contestants cannot get people to vote for them by now, too bad…
          also, even if the judges had used the save with pia, then what? the following week we would have had exactly the same people rallying to vote to keep exactly the same contestants out of trouble, and she would probably be gone sooner than later

• Jake says:

This is why the idea of the save is stupid. It basically is a tool for the judges to declare favorites. They basically declared in week 3 that Casey would be more important to save than a Pia or a Lauren or a Scotty. Because the judges were willing to use it ao early knowing the risk. I guaranteed that Lithgoe told them that all their favorites were securely in the top 5 and they could use it cause Naima stefano Paul thia and hailey would be the next to go. Instead they never counted on Pia doing the same thing week after week, hailey to turn things around and little girls voting the way they do. They reaped what they sowed. And if Ryan was any sort of host when they were lambasting America for voting the way they did he shouldve followed up with this — “would you still have used the save in week 3 on Casey if you knew Pia would leave in week 9 and do you think he has more potential at a music radio career than her?”. They deserve Casey winning the woke thing and living by their stupid decision.

• c.w. says:

once again, everyone knew the save had been used, who prevented all these ”hordes” of upset pia fans from voting? and stop blaming the kid. I’m pretty happy the judges used the save on Casey, so there you go… if he’s not your cup of tea, too bad.

• sandy amen says:

I am actually starting to think American Idol is a politial show..noit really a talent show. Why would Casey be saved and Pia be eliminated. Pia clearly has a far better voice even if she was not the showman as Casey..he was a self centered schmuck to my opinlion..He did good on some songs but was out of tune to much for me and changed most of the songs so much that they were totally ruined for me. I would not waste money to see him perform

• Paul says:

Amen, Amen, and Amen. The judges definately wasted their save on Casey and most certainly should have used it on Pia. She was ten times as talented and will go far as an artist and Casey will disappear into the woodwork. Mark my words.

• Anna says:

The scum always rises to the top of the cesspool. This is why Freakshow will win. and THAT is why some of us won’t bother to watch next year.

• sandy amen says:

I agree. Pia has a very nice voice and I dont feel Casey could’t touch her talent wise

• Anna says:

Had Casey gone home as he should have, only one girl would have been cut last week. This would have most likely affected this week’s bottom three; plus the judges would have been able to save Pia.

• Delirious says:

Yeah, and if Newton hadn’t sat under that tree, we would still think we’re “stuck to earth” because of some magic thing. I’m honestly sick of the whole “Casey shouldn’t been saved” argument, especially when paired with the “Casey’s save killed Pia” one. You can’t possibly know what would’ve happened if Casey hadn’t been saved. Maybe Naima and/or Thia would’ve given the performance of their life (yeah, like Haley could do that… Oh, but wait…), killing Pia as well. Or maybe Pia would screw up herself in the next one, because she might have a raspy throat and blew it out (nah, I bet the Idol fans would blame it on Iovine, or the vocal coaches, or the judges for not warning her, or Seacrest for not shutting the studio door!), or maybe one of your absolute favourites would be sent off like Pia was, and you’ll dread them for not using the save.
            Seriously, stop blaming the judges, or Casey, and start blaming the bunch of hypocrites voting en-masse for their cutesy-pet-like fave, or their hawt chunk of meat, or whatever, instead of voting on music and music alone. And like I said in the “did the right singer get booted?” article, maybe they should think of changing the system for next year: have the judges save one from the bottom 3 without knowing who received the least votes.

• Erin says:

Again this is why the judges are responsible. If they had warned Casey not to alienate America with his over-growling in “critiques” instead of over praising; they used the “save” to do their job to critique him; this could have been avoided. This was precisely the event that would warrant the save. Stupid, stupid judges.

• Michael says:

Why would he mention it if he doesn’t think that it was wasted? You aren’t the end-all-be-all of judgment. Just because you think that the save was wasted doesn’t mean that we all do.

• Dawn says:

For your information Kris Allen is not boring! And why bring him up anyway? This has nothing to do with him. Focus on Pia’s elimination and leave Kris Allen out of it!!!

• brandon says:

Please don’t compare Kris and Lee. Kris is a platinum selling artist and one of the coolest contestants to ever come off the show. Lee, on the other hand…I still don’t get that.

• Zach says:

Kris Allen is not boring. This post is about Pia, not Kris. Kris has absolutely nothing to do with this boring season. Get over yourself and chill. Season 8 was two seasons ago. Good grief. And you call the rest of us “stans”. You need to look at that man in the mirror.

• Joseph says:

Few would argue that Pia does not have a great vocal potential, but the problem was how she used it. Week after week she was told to by the readers of this web site to sing songs and present herself in a manner that the audience will respond to.
        Instead she sang and presented herself in the same manner as those that came before her a decade ago.
        The problem here was not just her song choice but rather what she did with them and her presentation.
        Think about those idol wow’s that we got from David Cook, Adam Lambert and even Kris Allen, can anyone really say with a straight face we have seen that from Pia in any of her solo songs?
        What is really sad about this is that we have seen a glimpse of what she could do in group numbers like that Katy Perry song last week.

The hard thing about Pia is that she has so much potential and due to her own fault and uneven attention by the producers she has been voted out a lot earlier then many of us have predicted.

• PatD says:

The revisionist historians who keep trying to lump Kris Allen together with Lee are getting really old. Neither have been off the charts with sales, but stop trying to make Kris out as a no-talent. Every single songwriter, record producer, and artist that’s worked with Kris has raved about his musicianship, going so far as to call him a music prodigy.

Just because people keep regurgitating a soundbite over and over does not make it true.

Let animosity from that season go, for Pete’s sake. Adam Lambert moved on eons ago, I don’t know why his fans can’t do likewaise.

• wendeeloo says:

Good post PatD. Tired of comparing Kris to Lee – Kris has an amazing voice -his musical ear or interpretation stellar plus he’s a great performer -

• Brenda Russell says:

Lee’s voice is far more unique that Kris’s. He is very good- listen to his new CD-Live It Up and his pre Idol CD’s Slumberland, So I’m Told= they are good. I brought Kris’s cd and thought it was BORING-sorry- I also watched him on Idol- Lee is a true artist and wrote all his songs but one- I don’t think you have listened to him at all-he and Crystal sang Falling Slowly- it was far superior to Kris’s version. Lee is an emotionally driven singer-you can see his connection to every song he sings. he also plays piano and drums and people who see him love him-he spends time with his fans- a class act guy- plus I saw hi in person-he is way more handsome this Kris- I think your sense of judgement is warped.

• Kimmy says:

I saw Kris Allen last year. I didn’t watch his season of Idol but I was completely impressed with him live. He has a great voice and he’s fun to watch on stage.
        I was surprised that Pia went as early in the competition as she did. That said, she was definitely NOT a fave of mine. I found her stage presence to be lackluster at best and boring at worst. I think she had a fabulous voice but I don’t think the voting public is looking for a diva type voice. They’re looking for someone who can have a little fun on stage. I don’t know if she just wasn’t given the chance to rock it, but she made some bad song choices as far as I’m concerned. I usually turned to my computer when she was on stage and only listened with half an ear.

• Kris Fan says:

And go to YouTube and watch Kris Allen’s “Man in the Mirror.” He does it even better than Michael Jackson!!

• Joe says:

I stongly disagree about Kris Alleb. If Kris did not win, it would have been Adam. Both were good and deserved to win. I do agree with you on Lee. Crystal was much better than Lee. In the finale Lee bombed but still won. Pia was better than a 9 finish, but she was not in the bottom because she is female. Stefano and Lusk will go next unless they really bring it on next week. It is hard to say what will happen in Paul’s case, but I doubt he will be in the finale.

• ger says:

“Boring and predictable” – like your comment.

• Pia was almost there, she had the voice, the look, the maturity on stage. But she did lack a little on the performance side. That’s what J.Lo wanted her to work on. The problem, again, is that the judges didn’t tell anyone else that they needed stuff to work on, so people decided to vote for those that were deemed “perfect”, “beautiful” and magical. The judges picked a pretty decent Top 24 and Top 13, at least compared to last year, but they have failed again with the comments. Simon Cowell never would tell anyone they were perfect until they proved themselves far down the line. These judges have failed the public, there’s no doubt in my mind.

• Brittany says:

I think you give the judges way too much credit and assume they impact voters. I don’t think many people actually listen to what they have to say and still vote for whoever they want. The judges are just there for the ratings and to give the contestants feedback from someone “in the biz”. I, for one, never listen to them. Randy can’t even form coherent sentences or anything of substance, STyler either. What they said to Pia was on most people’s minds (even her fans were aware of this weakness), so it wouldn’t sway votes either way.

• GingerSnap says:

Brittany, their comments do influence voters. That whole generic “boring” comment could be made about 6 of the performances on Wednesday. Or, more accurately, “forgettable”. I don’t find Stefano’s performances particularly enthralling & Jacob always looks like he’s having labor pains. Simon would have no qualms about calling a Spade a Spade, but these judges through around “beautiful” & “great” with zero discretion.

• rjbiv says:

Here’s what I think is unfair: I keep hearing things like Pia was “almost there”, but guess what? EVERYONE on this show is “almost there”. Not a single contestant is perfect, but does that mean all of them are equally deserving of elimination? Of course not. Just because Pia was not perfect in every way as a singer, performer, dancer, actor, and humanitarian does not in any way reduce the absurdity of what happened.

• Paul says:

Yeah, I miss Simon too. He may have been smarmy, but at least he had the guts to call ‘em like he saw ‘em with frankness and honesty. Maybe it’s just me, and I think there’s a place for encouragement and giving positive reinforcement to the contestants if it warrants it. But the contestants also need more constructive criticism from the judges in my opinion.

• The Wheeze says:

Can everyone get over it alreay! Unless you voted your fingers off voting for Pia then Shut it! Forget all the conspiracy theories, and the online petitions. Face it people she got voted off, because noone could remember her boring performances long enough to vote for her. Don’t blame the producers, the judges, the save, Evil Nigel, or any of the remaining contestants. Suck it up it is your fault! Deal with the consequences of not voting!

• GingerSnap says:

Um, wheeze, I did vote my fingers off. So why don’t you shut it? Even so other people here are entitled to speak their minds. If you don’t like it, the hang out some place else.

• The Wheeze says:

LOL! At least you did vote for her. And like you said everyone is free to state their own opinion. EVEN if you do not like it.

• Suncatcher says:

WE ARE / WERE LOOKING FOR THE BEST SINGER – NOT MISS CONGENIALITY.

Folks, you can take a singer with stage fright and who appears “boring”, like Pia, and help her get over it. But you cannot take someone with these issues – and teach them to sing.

PS – Major successful singer / songwriters with major stage fright and minor “personalities”: Neil Diamond & Carly Simon.

Based on what I’ve seen from Idol voters historically, they would have dumped these 2 – and anyone like them – in a heartbeat. And God help them if they didn’t wear the “right” clothing.

• Zach says:

I agree with you, but unfortunately but people just like what they like. I think JLo missed the point when she said she was pushing her to do better. She needed to make her dynamic. No matter how great a singer is, even the shy ones…they need the “it” factor. Pia did not have it. You mention Carly as having stage fright. So does Barbra Streisand. But nevertheless there is something that connects. Pia, IMO, was a great singer, but she felt cold. And truly, even though she sang an uptempo song…it just wasn’t right for her.

I think she’ll have a career singing power ballads or do Broadway…but she needs to get more experience. Sorry. I think that goes for all of them but it just seems that the guys are more animated and outgoing. That’s the name of the game whether we believe that or not.

• liz says:

No, you are looking for the best singer, not the best personality. Ask 20 people who registered votes Wednesday night why they vote on American Idol and you’ll get 20 reasons. Can you honestly claim that the “best” singer has won in each of the previous 9 seasons? Personally, the best singers aren’t really the one’s I download. No Whitney, Celine, Streisand, or Mariah on my ipod. Musicality and song interpretation counts for something with me.

• Brittany says:

All those singers you mentioned in the end are all on my Ipod, and I still didn’t like Pia (or vote for her). My biggest issue with her was stage presence, but even moreso, song choice. Granted, she was limited each week with the categories, but I have seen recordings of her singing more uptempo songs like “Since U Been Gone”, “The Way I Am”, “Rehab” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTNfy3lnilE, etc. and she sounds so good. She sounded decent on “Grenade” during Hollywood week as well. She still doesn’t have the personality/stage presence to pull off an uptempo song, but she didn’t pick great songs either. If she had, I probably would have voted for her more than I did (NONE) because I like her style of voice and ballads. That being said, people buy your music, but they also want to see you on tour. I would not pay money to see her on tour. (just my opinion)

• Brittany says:

Sorry, “The Way I Am” is not a super uptempo song, but it is more current. She also sings Lady Gaga’s “Paparazzi” and “Just Dance”. Google it if you’re interested.

• Ablo says:

“If nailing every note of every song — and being among the best two or three performers for six consecutive weeks”

Well, perhaps if that were true, she would still be on the show. Since it isn’t (except in your imagination) . . .

• The Wheeze says:

But did you vote for her? She is a great singer, but since when does the best singer win? Everyone can preach that this is a singing competition, but we all should know differently by now. Face it, Pia was B-O-R-I-N-G! She was probably in everyone’s top 3, cause she can sing, but you vote for your favorite, NOT your third favorite.

• Jared says:

You just said it! She had the best vocal ability! So how is it justifiable!?!?! It’s wrong!

• Suncatcher says:

Adam Lamber on Twitter today:
      “Sad to see Pia go. One of the best voices on this season. Makes me think Voters aren’t focusing enough on vocal/musical ability.”

• Nate says:

Pia is the only one who will still have a career a decade from now. No one else is even in the ball park. And I am not counting that country kid who has appeal to a music genre I couldn’t care less about. But even then, he might be the most annoying Alfred E Newman look a like I have ever had to look at. Thank you DVR.

• Twizzlerp says:

The truth is as long as people have multiple votes, the votes don’t matter and we end up with commercial failures because the votes don’t represent what people are willing to pay for or listen to.

• Laura says:

The voting system stinks, and as long as there are limitless votes allowed per person we will continue to get skewed results. And I agree that there should be more constructive criticism BEFORE the kids get to the stage, too — not just the judges opinions AFTER they have sung. By the way, I loved Simon, but he stayed on the show a few seasons too long, and some of his snarky comments were absolutely useless, too.

• Lancelot of Camelot says:

The multiple votes per person is the problem. One person one vote would allow us to know who is actually America’s Idol rather than who is the Idol of the few who are willing to vote hundreds of times each week.

• elr says:

I agree that the biggest part of the blame goes to the voting system. As long as you can have unlimited voting there is never going to be a TRUE Amerian Idol. And certainly not a female winner. Ryan needs to stop asking for people to vote more and the producers need to take a serious look at the voting system.

• remmez says:

America is to blame. But she was fake all over. America thought so at least. Goes to show that idol is broke and beyonf fixing ever since Kris Allen won all the way to here. To bad, but this show has become a parody to itself.

• Plato says:

Agree.

Pia finished NINTH…NINTH!!! There were 8 other people who received more votes than her. It’s not as though she was the last girl remaining and was eliminated. Two other girls got more votes than her, so that squashes the demographic rhetoric. Michael, I love your recaps but reread what you wrote about her performance, it was hardly a glowing review. Then the prior performance week you gave a glowing review but stated that Haley was your favorite performance. And that’s the glaring problem with Pia. Her technically great performances were never the most entertaining. Pia is like that respected artist you can’t deny has a great voice and is extremely talented but you own none of her albums.

If her fans weren’t so “cool” and actually put effort into power voting, she’d still be there. Don’t vote for someone 10 times and then become upset when another person votes for someone else 100 times. Especially if both of you had the same opportunity.

How often have the best singers won American Idol? Hell, how often have the best singers made it past Hollywood week?

I think the funniest perspective of this situation comes from the fact that barely anyone is saying she should have WON, most people are saying she should have made it to at least top 5. If Pia is the best singer, why are there barely any comments saying she should have won? Everyone is upset that she was eliminated before Jacob, Paul, and Stephano. But if she’s the best singer, why is the outrage mainly over three guys outlasting her? What would have happened if she outlasted those three guys? Would it then be okay for the “BEST SINGER” to have been eliminated? The logic doesn’t make sense.

• Plato says:

Agree.

• GingerSnap says:

Plato have you ever power-voted? ‘Cuz I have. Pia was on my list every week. I power vote because I hate seeing results like this. I care about making sure the right ones get through each week. Pia was sent home too early. She is not more BORING than Jacob or Stefano or Paul or Casey – all guys who’ve seen the B3. She is not less musically gifted than these guys. In fact she trumps them in Spades. Her problem is that she’s a gorgeous female who made it look so effortless & she’s on a show that any vanilla WGWG can win. There are probably a 100,000 guys who fit that description in the music industry, but there only a half-a-dozen females who have the gifts that Pia does. She is going to have big career. But the people in Idol nation are going to continue to spit out predictable WGWG for years to come. And they will all have limited commercial success.
        Once upon a time, a gifted female singer could win. Kelly Clarkson & Carrie Underwood are the prototype for that. But they could never win today. Realistically, Idol is no longer a show that can produce that type of winner. Even with power voters like me on their side.
        BTW – less than 24 hours after her elimination, she was already being courted for a record deal.

• GinaBallerina says:

Idol has evolved in many ways over the years but I still believe that Kelly could win any season. She had the elusive “it” factor that Pia (and women like her) lacks. It’s just something you either have or you don’t; it can’t be taught, and certainly not by J-Lo. Kelly was outrageously talented, but still relatable. Viewers felt like they knew her, like they could just hang out with her. She was polished without being perfect.

• Lucy says:

Agree! Her performances were not all that great. Especially “River Deep Mountain High” I would’ve rather hear a bum note than not feel anything at all. She was so controlled during that performance and it was not only because of the heels she was wearing! This public outcry is leaving me wondering what people did see in her that I didn’t. Regarding gender issues on Idol I do think the machine has been taken over by pre-teen girls. Maybe they should use the same voting mechanism as SYTYCD. My favourite this season is Haley and Paul because both have had their bad performances and great performances but they’ve showed “something” that makes me get in touch with them and their performance whereas Pia…nothing!

• Nat says:

Agreed. Am I the only one who was *relieved* Pia was voted out? I was afraid she was going to be a predictable winner and be yet another ‘unsuccessful’ (by global Idol standards, anyway) winner, something Idol cannot afford. I’m not saying Casey, Jacob or Stefano are more marketable, but please, someone name me ONE female artist who’s successful on the charts today based solely on an excellent voice. It’s not the early 90s people. We want dancers, musicians, creative artists, personality – not Celine wannabes.

• Suncatcher says:

Speak for yourself, please. We DO want great voices! I prefer Pia over Lady Gaga in a meat suit any day.

PS – Lady Gaga is a master at shock MARKETING to us.
        (see meat suit)

• Jenn says:

KELLY CLARKSON! And if Im not mistaken I dont believe Carrie Underwood had all of this stage presence while she was on IDOL either. Look at her now. Carrie is more respected as a person who is a great singer NOT someone who can dance all around the stage. Both these talents have it going on and they didnt need to dance around during an IDOL perofrmance. Something like working the stage can improve in time. A great voice is a GIFT. End of story.

• Mic says:

Pia got robbed, she should have stuck around much longer, but I just read she just got signed to (Jimmy Iovine headed)Interscope Records!

• Jay says:

…which is essentially the reason people come on the show. SHe has a record deal and is going on tour.

So…how exactly was she robbed?

• Brittany says:

For all we know this could have been the plan all along. People who are winning in past seasons aren’t doing well and a large part of it is because they lose their momentum by October/November when the albums actually are released and the people who vote don’t necessarily buy. Chris Medina released a single right after he was eliminated this year when people were upset. Now, think about this, a really good singer gets cut too early, America freaks out over this “controversy”, and Pia starts going on all sorts of TV shows to talk about it (PUBLICITY!). It’s a huge new story for the entertainment industry and then they hurry up to get the contestant in the studio to record an album while emotion is high and people want to support Pia for being “robbed”. Sounds like American got punked to me!

• MC says:

I don’t understand why everybody is shocked, especially Slezak, whose review of her performance, centered on the fact that she was unwilling to work the stage with abandon to such a degree that he, himself, stated that it, “raises the larger question for the Idoloonie Nation: Are we okay with that? Are we still willing to travel the Pia Toscano Express if she’s never going to be willing to pull a Fantasia Barrino and “get ugly” with her vocals?” Apparently, we are not, as her lack of passion clearly did not create an uncontrollable urge to pick up the phone. As Slezak said, “…the best singers aren’t only aware of the boundaries of their vocal range, but their emotional scope as well.” She clearly was not aware of the boundaries of her emotional scope, and it cost her. Quite frankly, her emotional scope was so limited that I abandoned her to the category of vocal candy long ago. Hopefully, for Iovine and those willing to bank on her, they’ll help her better find some emotional range in the studio. Otherwise, their going to turn out one long and very boring though perfectly pitched album. Of course, there is always a market for that sort of thing, especially when the package is beautiful. When vocal candy meets eye candy meets producer intent on creating the illusion of something soulful, it’s always a best seller for a while. I just don’t suspect I’ll be buying it. But who knows, maybe they’ll surprise me. Maybe she’ll find it in the studio or on the tour. We’ll see.

• Red in Denver says:

Your comment: “….the truth is, she was boring and predictable.” is actually only YOUR truth (or, if you prefer, your OPINION).

I’m not crazy about the type of songs she chose (I’m not crazy about the type of songs Celine sings either) but I can recognize amazing vocal talent when I see it.

• Rush says:

Lythgoe confirmed over at EW that Pia was never a front runner. America does not want the Idol of 10 years ago. We don’t need another Carrie Underwood or Kelly Clarkson. Nor do we need or want another Beyonce or Mariah Carey clone. Your song should be “We Don’t Need Another Hero”, not “Man In The Mirror”.

• Pat says:

Dialidol is never this wrong, they had Pia at #3, Mr. Lythgoe must be pulling his So You Think you can dance tricks. Pia wasn’t going to win the whole thing but I agree with Michael, Top 5 at least, save the ladies folks.

• Chip H says:

Bingo – I’ve been following the statistics on Dialidol for the past four seasons. It’s been a long, long time since someone was predicted to be statistically safe who went home.

Chiefly, we have to consider how they arrive at their raw data to begin with: it measures the number of busy signals encountered relative to the number to total attempts to vote for a particular contestant.

You simply don’t wind up with a high raw DI score unless people were getting a lot of busy signals trying to vote for you…

So, either there were people voting for Pia and their votes were conveniently ignored (doubtful, I don’t have that low of an opinion of the Idol producers) or people were having technical difficulties getting through (most likely).

Evidently, they plan to let this abomination of a result ride, but I don’t believe for it minute.

2. Lilly says:

Can we say all of the above? I voted for Pia, and thought she was the front runner by default. I say default because while she was the best vocalist, she didn’t have the best performances, and she never had a so called Moment. I doubt most people can remember every songs that she’s done since the semi final. I own two of her studio recordings, and I would own more, but they pretty much sound the same. Amazing vocals, but not too much else.

I’m not saying that everyone else has had amazing performances, or Moments, because they haven’t. They’ve all been good, but not exactly entertaining or memorable, that’s why there are no true frontrunners, and why none of them are safe. None of them have made people passionate enough to vote for them every week. Part of the problem is the over produced live performances, that don’t allow them to fully connect with a song, or show who they truly are.

3. Templar says:

Sorry, but realistically she was not a marketable commodity. She doesn’t sing what sells and whenever she sang on air, I couldn’t remember it 5 minutes later.

• Margie says:

We can’t know what she prefers to sing because the choices are so limited on idol. The fact is, she could sing like nobody’s business. I think she could sing anything she wanted to. I hope we’ll hear more from her.

• Krista says:

and Casey is marketable. He would be worse winner than Lee and that’s saying a lot. Same thing with Haley, Stefano, etc. I would much rather buy someone’s music that may have a low key personality and a stunning voice than someone who has a personality and is a mediocre singer. I CANNOT see Casey or any one of the remaining male contestants becoming a major star. Pia could learn to work on confidence, that can be taught, vocals can’t unless you use autotune.

• Oh but wait bitchh says:

I agree!

The judges wasted their save on Casey…and Casey gets more positive TV face time than all the other contestants. Yet I believe he is going to be a big flop.

• Tarc says:

And you’d think you might wise up to the idea that there is an actual reason Casey gets all of the positive press attention…

• Anna says:

The reason is that much was made of him being sick; which leads me to believe that the judges saved him out of pity.

There is little positive about him.

• anonymous says:

Totally true on the face time… that whole haircut thing-ewe. I don’t get it.

• Lucy says:

autotune sells…a lot! I think confidence is much harder to achieve

• @galaga6846 says:

I agree that Pia was not memorable- except for on the night before she was booted off. I’ve had her version of River Deep, Mountain High running through my head for two days now!

• Lancelot of Camelot says:

Go to Piafans.com and you will find out that her original music is urban/pop/R&B. Unless Interscope tries to change her that is the kind of music she will be making.

• MrSideEye says:

Sorry, but what imaginary world do you live in where a gorgeous, super talented female with one of the best voices in recent years is not a marketable commodity? I somewhat agree that she maybe could have changed up the song choices a bit but we are forgetting that they have a very limited list to choose from. And you cannot tell me that she was not hands down the best vocalist on American Idol this year.

And with that, I leave you with some of her non marketable work:

-and just to further quiet the “she wasn’t radio ready” ignorance

4. IGoPogo says:

Simon Cowell would have never allowed this.

• Maggie says:

Yes he would.

• Sybilt says:

Simon would, and he did. I give you American idle (not typo) Lee DeWyze, whom Simon limped relentlessly last year, ignoring his pitch problems, his painfully wooden stage persona, and the fact that he was an experienced recording artist, creating the myth of a paint salesman on a meteoric growth arc.

• Gia says:

Who cares about Cowell. He’s a nasty egotist who never gave anyone constructive criticism or valuable advice.

• dejo says:

AMEN to that!

5. MQ says:

I understand why everybody it’s shocked but the truth is, she was boring, predictable and didn’t connect with the audience. She have the best vocal technique and a good range but her tone and color are not that great.

6. julesmn says:

Stefano Langone at Jacob Lusk. Is that like the corner of bad and worst?

7. You hot mess says:

I blame the Judges for WASTING the save on Casey Abrams after he had TWO bad performances.

Casey is going to be a failure. I was MAD when the judges SAVED Casey, wasting the save on him to early on the show.

I also blame Blog writers for BACKING Paul and Casey. They are TERRIBLE.

• lobo says:

and I was HAPPY the judges SAVED Casey. your opinion is worth as much as mine…

• Jared says:

I’m sorry, but whether u personally liked her or not, u CANNOT deny she has a better singing voice and vocal ability than Casey. Period! That’s the point everyone is trying to get across. Not that Casey doesn’t deserve to receive praise, but who is honestly better. And the answer is Pia.

• tarc says:

Sure I can argue that. I’ve heard many, many Pias, and so many better ones. I’ve not heard any other Caseys, and interesting and unique trumps robotic and common any day.

• GingerSnap says:

Actually there are a lot Caseys in that niche of blues/jazz artists. He catches your eye ‘cuz he’s unique to Idol. But commercially viable? Not so much.

• Ablo says:

To you — Pia is better to you. Not to everyone.

• aislinn says:

I think a lot of people assumed that Pia would go far in the competition, but probably not a lot of people would claim she was their personal favorite, or the one they chose to vote for(obviously). I think the voting structure is flawed – until they get down to top 5, I think there is potential to swing between several contestants, depending on the growth they show, and the song choices they make week to week. I’d much prefer to be voting out the person I think is not good enough to stay, rather than the one person that should win. I really think that if this had been the case both this week and the week Casey was saved, there would have been very different results. Pia may have been in people’s top 2 or 3, but didn’t get the votes because she wasn’t #1 for them. I doubt the majority of America would have voted to eliminate Pia, if that’s the way the vote was structured.

• Paul says:

Amen You hot mess, you!!!

8. Ben says:

I can’t see how anyone can blame the judges for something America does.

Plus, Pia’s elimination, while clearly wrong, wasn’t the end of the world. I know very few people who go beyond ‘shocked, but not bothered’. She just didn’t connect very well.

So I think it’s a combination of Pia and voters to blame. Really, I see plasetered all over message boards like this one people talking of voting for weaker competitors because they are at risk. Vote for the best, not your favourite ‘at risk’ contestant, or else this happens. Strategic voting is also dumb voting.

• Lilly says:

That makes no sense. Everybody is going to vote for their favorite, that’s the whole point. Pia’s job was to give performances that made her people’s favorite, so that they would vote for her every week.

• Dick Whitman says:

believe it or not, there’s people who actually listen to the judges and vote based on those comments. when you hear them praising everybody (literally everybody) but giving pia a “but” she’s losing votes.

9. Mr_OCD says:

Thanks for posting, Slezak. I needed this. I’m sick and tired of hearing about how Pia deserved to finish in 9th place by people who don’t know what the f-ck they’re talking about. Loads of BS going around about “expressiveness” and “vocal perfection” and how Pia lacked so much in the former that the technical perfection didn’t even matter.

• Suncatcher says:

BRAVO MR. OCD! Well said.

PS – I am quoting now from many website comments today about Pia and the 2 constants I saw:

“Pia was the best singer of them all – but she was boring.”
      And
      “Her outfit was terrible last night.”

I am speechless.

10. Erinn says:

Yes, I do think it is wrong that the women are dwindling while people like Jacob and, even though I love him, Stefano are still around. But would I be sad if Lauren was eliminated next week? Nope.

11. carla says:

People should vote for the best singer not the best all around freaking person. Sure, Pia was lackluster in the personality/stage presence side, but she could outsing ALL of the other contestants. Shame on you Randy, “dawg,” for just putting up your peace signs and saying “Another hot one tonight” I mean, I’m over it!!! This is officially the downfall of American Idol. People are going to stop watching, you just wait and see….

• Ben says:

yeah yeah, if only I had a list of every reason why people are going to stop watching American idol, dating back 5 or 6 years…

• GingerSnap says:

Except some of us have the strength of character to follow through.
        There was life before Idol. There will be life without it.

12. Georgia says:

None of the above. The only entity to blame is everyone who apparently wanted Pia to stay soooooooooooo badly and didn’t vote for her. Since when did Slezak like her so much? Only last week he was interrupting everyone’s segment with a Haley growl or the clip of her saying Hardcore Bangage. I didn’t see Pia inspiring any quick cuts like that. And that’s the problem. She didn’t inspire much of anything, let alone millions of votes. Face it, everyone thought she was a pretty singer but they turned their attention toward something else. Despite questionable vocals or whatever Stefano, Casey, Jacob and those other guys & gals have more people really rooting for them. And it doesn’t matter if they are the best singer or not because this is America and we can vote for whoever the hell we want for whatever the hell reason we want if we have a phone. And it doesn’t make those people “meanie tweenies” or “women haters” or whatever other ridiculous names are being thrown out there. It’s not Casey’s fault, Stefano’s fault, the judges fault (they tried to help her!) or anything but the simple fact that she didn’t as many votes as everyone else. She had the least number of votes and she’s done. The end.

But… in her final act on that idol stage… at least she was finally interesting and gave us all something to talk about over the weekend.

• Mr_OCD says:

That’s cause Pia didn’t need the advertisements in the form of quick cuts and performance snippets. Haley has been the underdog; Pia the front-runner (and rightfully so). This week’s Idoloonies will be a different story.

• stevenjaba says:

I do agree that she just wasn’t that inspiring. No passion. I liked her but never would have bothered to pick up the phone and vote for her. That said, I don’t think it is quite that simple. I think it’s fair to say that power-voting tweens have had a significant impact on the competition the last few years – and that blame falls squarely on the producers. Also, it’s a fact that the judges typically say very little that could be construed as criticism. That’s not helping them improve week to week.

• Brittany says:

I love everything you said. I don’t get the meanie-tweenie-women-hating comments. And really, what are we, third graders? The meanie-tweenie thing is so dumb. It’s like telling someone they’re a poopy butt face or something. ANYWAYS, these same “tweens” are also buying Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Ke$ha, etc., so you can’t say they only go nuts over cute boys. And that is exactly the problem with Pia, if you look at all the successful females in pop right now, they all have personality and stage presence and the move around. They don’t have the talent that she does, but they at do something to get them noticed, whether it’s wearing meat outfits or letting the twins out 99% of the time, etc. The only genre that kinda just lets you stand there is country, and Pia is not a country girl. That is why Carrie got a break. I will be the first to admit that if Lady Gaga had been on American Idol I would have fast forwarded through all her performances. I don’t think she is talented, and I do not like her style of dress/performing/everything. She just doesn’t do it for me. Does this make me mean or a “meanie-tweenie-woman-hater”? No. We all like who we like for whatever reason. If someone gets voted off it’s because they were not the majorities preference or the fans didn’t do their job. People need to quit being so overly sensitive about this stuff. This a forum for American Idol and at the end of the day life goes on.

• Brittany says:

I meant “they move around” and “but they at least do something” and “they were not the majority’s preference”. OOPS.

• Laurel says:

Nicely said Brittany.
        I totally agree.
        I feel the “Meanie Tweenie ” thing is a ridiculous and inmature way of slinging mud at someone because you have differing opinions.
        Also personality and stage presence are VERY important. Almost as important as having a good singing voice.
        The voice will get you noticed but you have to work at having the whole package if you want to be sucessful nowadays.
        People just need to enjoy the show and stop being so sensitve about it.

• Cybergram7 says:

As stated, why would you (Slezak) be so upset about Pia? You had very little positive to say about her. That’s #1! #2, the judges are essentially inaffective this year! And last, but definitely not least…the reason the guys are outstaying the girls, irregardless of talent, is because mostly women vote. I doubt that the ratio of men to women voters is anywhere near equal!

13. GP says:

Stop blaming the judges! Last year everyone was upset because the judges were “pimping” certain Idols with their critiques. Now when all the contestants are all pretty good (the judges did an excellent job choosing the top 24) everyone is upset that they’re not being critical enough because they don’t agree with YOUR opinion. Music is subjective and it can take more than having a great voice to appeal to some people.

It is just possible that the judges appreciate each performance for different reasons. As far as I’m concerned they’ve done a great job in stepping back and praising what is good about each performance and not letting their opinions influence the voting public like has been the case in years past.

If you need to rely on the judges’ opinions of what you should like and what you shouldn’t then you shouldn’t be voting in the first place. I don’t let judges or critics of any kind tell me what I should think, I decide for myself.

If anyone or anything is to blame for Pia’s early exit it is Pia herself and/or the voting process that is set up for a popularity contest and to see whose fans can vote the most.

• aislinn says:

I critical of the judges, not because they’re not agreeing with me, but because I think their job is to provide honest, constructive feedback that helps these kids learn and grow. If all they hear is “that was beautiful” “perfect in every way” “best performance ever!” there is nothing for them to take and learn from, and it often gives them the mistaken impression that what they just did is just fine, keep doing it. Nobody is that good, and everyone has room to improve, and the judges should be helping to guide that process.

• GP says:

How do we know that they’re not doing just that away from national TV? Maybe they just don’t want to do so on TV to influence the voting process.

14. stevenjaba says:

My choice for the blame wasn’t on their – tween texting voters. Only explanation for the dominance of boys the last few seasons. For that, I guess I blame the producers. Seems like they could do something about it.

15. A5 says:

Let’s all stop watching now. Scotty is gonna win because of all of the girls drooling over him. Pia should of been top 3 at worse. Stefano is just plain horrible, Jacob is an an “American Idol”. Paul has nice teeth. I will continue to watch as long as James sticks around.

• GucciClad says:

You have some nerve!

I am not a teenybopper but a grown a$$ woman who absolutely loves Scotty not because of his looks but because of his talent.

Now go take a shower, jerk!

• claudia says:

Good, because there is no way you could love him because of his looks unless you drool over Alfred E Newman or Dubya. Do you also love his smirks, finger pointing, eyebrow raising, flute/mic playing?

16. vicki says:

I truly believe the “powers that be (producers)” have a lot more control of the strings with Idol then America thinks. And I believe those powers are paving the way for a James win. You know – there’s a rock god on the judging panel – so let’s let a rock guy finally win. Maybe to right the wrong of Adam Lambert, a rock god, not winning. James has 1/4 of Adam’s talent so it would be a travesty if that were to happen. Conspiracy theorist that i am!!!!

• Marco says:

I agree with everything you said, but I think James has raw natural talent and to me he sounds alot better than Adam.

• Erica says:

Sorry, James to Adam is as Asti Spumanti is to Dom Perignon.

• Brittany says:

Maybe America likes the more relatable contestants. James may not have the polished tone and sophistication that Adam had, but Adam had so much more experience on the stage. Maybe that’s why Pia went home. We don’t want someone who is perfect vocally already (not that I think Pia or Adam was perfect), we want someone who is a little bit less refined but is real and can grow and get better. I also think James appeals to me more than Adam ever did because of his humility and because he has overcome his disorders. That to me is a truly compelling and he is very talented.

• vicki says:

Adam’s had A LOT to overcome as well! And I think that James’s humility and tears is an act. However, I totally respect your opinion. Let’s just agree to disagree.

• Suncatcher says:

Adam Lambert on Twitter today:

• Brittany says:

Agreed, @vicki. I can definitely see your point and how someone would be drawn to Adam (I even bought a few of his ITunes during Idol and from his record). He just didn’t do it for me. That isn’t wrong or right. We all like who we like and that is what makes Idol fun/frustrating. @Suncatcher, Adam just always felt like a politician to me, as in, he always said the right things. My favorite performance of his was “Tracks of My Tears” because it was raw and emotional and completely stripped down. That’s just the type of music I like. I also really like Paul this year (NOT BECAUSE OF HIS LOOKS), and I gasped when he said he was gonna sing that song because I thought to myself, NO, Adam owns that song… and I’m not really an Adam fan. James attempted to do what Adam did with “Tracks of My Tears” last week and fell short in comparison. I can admit that. So there ya go, I don’t think that Adam isn’t humble or didn’t have to overcome adversity, it’s just that James is more of that to me and I am more drawn to him for whatever reason. Whew, that was a long answer!

• Vicki says:

@brittany – Thank you for a very fair and balanced opinion of Adam and an almost inspirational take on the whole situation. I agree. I actually will try and look at James in a new light. I totally agree he has a raw talent – and is a contender.

• Suncatcher says:

Good one, Erica!!! And true too!

• howgreen says:

i believe the voting is controled by obsessed teen girls. hence the early demise of female contestants. they are not really concerned with vocal quality or singing ability but with a fantasy crush on one or more of the male singers. a teacher said one of her teen girl students voted 3000 times in one night. a “normal” person might vote less than a hundred. we can’t compete with a voting block like that. i think the producers need to change their voting rules and limit the number of times a person can vote. i know they won’t do that, they like to tout those huge voting numbers. still i wish they would.

• vicki says:

Well thanks Marco – but I wish you would have agreed about the Adam part. James’ voice is really good – but sorry Adam can sing circles around him! Oh well to each his own.

• @galaga6846 says:

Hooray Marco! James and Adam shouldn’t be compared because they’re totally different- but if I had to compare the two, I’d be in James’ corner. His high note isn’t nearly as screechy as Adam’s.

The reason why Pia got voted off is because people assumed she was was safe, in other words, that everyone else was voting for her.

• GingerSnap says:

She got voted off because she didn’t appeal to the voter who can sit for 2 hours & text 3000 times. There is only one demographic that can do that. Only Nigel & TPTB @ Idol can fix that.

• Eolra says:

I agree that there is only a few demographics that generally power-vote, and I agree that Pia did not end up connecting to those demographics this year, for whatever reason. I totally disagree, however, that those demographics are only interested in voting for “cute boys”. There are lots of female acts that are successful in those demographics – it just wasn’t Pia. I think we can all agree that the only “cute boy” on the show this year is Stefano, and he was also in the bottom 2 this week. It’s rubbish to blame the tweens – they clearly weren’t voting for the “cute boy” either.

• James is a Nice Kid says:

And James is much more likeable than Adam.

• GP says:

Not everyone considers Adam Lambert a “Rock God”.

17. Larry says:

I understand that fury and heart-break is part of the Idol equation, I do. But there was something about last night’s show that went beyond that. Instead of entertainment, it took on this horrible vibe, with Jacob and the racial under-tones and the women getting voted off and the sexism rants, all of sudden this show has become a microcosm of race relations and women’s rights. Throw in the dreadful TMZ (I CANNOT believe Idol gave them run), Russell Brand crotch jokes and the hideous Iggy Pop. And then top it off with voting off the best vocalist. It was no longer fun entertainment, it was ugly and I walked away feeling the need to shower. Cannot believe Idol turned into that. Stunned. Shocked. Saddened.

• lethargic says:

Wow. You really need to relax. Good lord.

• vicki says:

Larry – I so totally agree with every word you said. I took a shower! Plus, I’m not watching the rest of the season!!!

• Larry says:

Thank you Vicki, glad I’m not alone. Memo to ‘lethargic’, if you are going to use the Lord’s name you may want to at least capitalize it. And I suppose if I were in a basement playing video games all day, eating junk food and in a drug induced haze sitting on my mamma’s couch, I would be ‘lethargic’ and not care or feel anything around me either.

• karenb says:

Aww, come on! Loosen up! I love me some TMZ!

• Larry says:

OK, maybe Russell Brand was funny, but I can’t budge on the TMZ thing. And why is everyone telling me to loosen up? Do I need a hit of whatever ‘Lethargic’ is smoking? At least Vicki loves me.

18. Oh but wait bitchh says:

Once again Michael Slezak you attack James and Scotty getting preference…BUT NOT ONCE MENTION ONE OF YOUR FAVORITES CASEY ABRAMS…who gets MORE positive tv time than anyo ther contestant so far

…and btw, talking about your new favorite Haley…she was LAUGHING when Pia got voted off and continued to goof off with that fat pig Casey

• c.w. says:

”Comments on TVLine.com are monitored” – are they really? it sure doesn’t seem like it based on the comment above…

• Cindy Allen says:

Haley was not laughing. One person who was there wrote that she was urging the audience to stand and cheer for Pia. Why must Idol fans always imagine conspiracies and evil? From all accounts Haley is a sweet person whom everyone loves.

• GingerSnap says:

These girls are under a microscope. Unfortunately, I clearly saw the same thing when I rewatched the results show. She may have done what you said, but she looked like she was gloating when the camera was on her. And Lauren was visibly crying at the time.

• Jay says:

Exactly. People just assume things and then hold fast, like the person above who just up and decided for themselves that James is faking everything with zilch evidence. I hope none of these people ever serve on juries.

• Lori says:

Are you kidding me – short of Haley giving up her spot to Pia there is no suggesting Haley was appropriate post Pia’s defamation ritual last Wednesday night. And seeing how Haley could win this (heck why not – the best singer is long gone now) – do you think Haley or Scotty or James or Casey will ever get the Pia monkey off their back or out of their line of vision post American Idol win? No way – they will always wonder – as will the public – whether they would have won fairly and squarely had a fairly and ethically orchestrated American Idol been offered up – instead of this Season 10 SHAM.

As it stands Haley is indistinquishable from the rest. Lesser talented. Lesser deserving – but still in the running. Cold comfort to very real American Idol victim Pia Toscano.

• claudia says:

Don’t be silly. When the winner finally sings that coronation song there will be NO thought for Pia or how winning was tainted by the thought that someone else deserved it more. It’s not human nature to be that humble. And FTR I listened to the 1st 30 secongs of Pia’s songs & then fastforwarded thru the rest. Haley isn’t perfect (but she’s getting better) but I listened to her entire songs every time. I can’t stand Celine Dion & I agree with whoever called Pia “Celine Lite”.

• Anna says:

Haley is rumored to be dating Casey. She must have serious issues to find that POS attractive.

• Mike says:

LOL, Actually, it sounds like you’re the one with “serious issues” because someone who actually cares that much about who someone ELSE (a complete stranger at that) is dating has some serious, serious reality issues.

19. Taylor says:

Completely agree!!! Pia was my favorite (and yes I did vote) by far. Yes, she had her flaws that have been stated, but hers were nowhere near as bad as others.
    Haley tends to overdo her growl, James is flat and screechy, Jacob is irritating and horrible, Stefano looks like a dying woodland creature when he sings, Scotty’s stage presence is awkward, Lauren tries too hard to be sexy, Casey is just ugh…, and Paul can be strange.

I truly thought we’d be losing the Lusky Stank or the Italian Archuleta last night.
    Of course voters are to blame, but the judges put everyone on a level playing field. If they can’t tell that a contestant’s performance was lightyears better than another, they need to go. Not everything is “perfect.”

Hopefully Lauren or Hailey can pull out a win. I don’t want another WGWG winner!!!

20. lethargic says:

Why can’t people ever just accept that the person they like isn’t as liked by everybody? Sorry, somebody you liked got booted off. Guess what, the people I like get booted EVERY year. So? Who cares?

What really kills me is how the judges reacted. Last I checked the winner of American Idol is decided by the viewers. So how come we, the viewers, have to be told we’re stupid just because we didn’t choose the person the judges like?

• Danielle says:

Bravo. Finally a voice of reason on here. People need to lighten up and not get so overinvested in a talent show competition. There are more things in life that need attention.

• Jay says:

This times a trillion.

Endless people declaring their opinions as if they’re facts. Blaming winners for winning, blaming everyone but losers for losing. So ridiculous.

21. cjinsd says:

I don’t vote for the person with the “best voice” unless they move me or entertain me or represent the kind of music I listen to. Pia provided none of this. BTW, how many of your music Idols have the “best voice?” “Best” is usually clinical and cold. Give me someone with passion anyday.

22. beanbag says:

Initially I said the fault was the judges and I still think the judges need to step up their game, and give more feedback not only to guide viewers, but for the entertainment of it. Steven Tyler is getting probably over $12 million dollars to sit there and say something was beautiful. He has the experience and knowledge to provide good feedback. I want to know what he’s thinking! He doesn’t have to be mean, just informative. But I think another major problem is the voting system. Most people don’t have the time or inclination to spend 2 hours dialing, texting or voting 50 times over Facebook, and those that do tend to be women/girls who have crushes on the guy contestants. Therefore, those voters will control the results. Idol should change their system to one vote per voter.

• Phil says:

What would that accomplish? If they changed it to one vote per voter it would produce the same results in the end. People like who they like and to a degree all the contestants have talent or we wouldn’t be watching them. Who is to say he/she was robbed? If you like who you like vote for them so we won’t be having this redundant discussion,

23. Rhian says:

I’m actually not that surprised at the result, Pia is interchangeable with so many other female singers, she is nothing new or exciting. Talented she may be (although not to my taste) but unique she is not. It will be interesting to see how many of the people complaining about the result actually end up supporting her career post-Idol when all the fuss dies down.

24. Howie B says:

At the risk of appearing sexist, but still trying to keep it real, until Pia busted out in that black catsuit last night, I had no idea that she was so, um, well endowed. And while I give her credit for wanting the focus to be on her singing and not her figure, how on earth did Nigel and his minions manage to not include that as part of her Idol image? Maybe she should have used it (them?) as a hardship angle during auditions, like Stefano’s car accident or James’ various obstacles — how hard it’s been to be taken seriously as a singer with people staring at her chest the whole time. Surely the Lecherous Mr. Lythgoe couldn’t resist a good sob story AND a great rack?

25. Petra says:

The Judges are to blame for wasting the save on Casey who is not a strong singer and not in contention for winning IDOL. The reason for the save is for a situation like this when one of the better singers is going to be eliminated. Pia has a strong voice and could have won this. She definitely should have made it to the top three. Casey should not have been up for the save. He simply is not a strong singer.

26. Christina says:

25% The judges for not being critical, and wasting the save on Casey
    25% Pia herself. The best vocalist, but she never opened up and let loose, thus never connecting
    25% Nigel Lythgoe and co.- For not capping the voting system, and not using a X-factor/SYTYCD style of elimination during the early rounds of the finals. If they used this they wouldn’t need the save.
    25% America- Jacob, Paul, and Stefano are still there but Pia is gone. Come on!

• Stacey says:

What the guys don’t deserve a chance to shine? Just because your favorite is eliminated doesn’t give you the right to deminish and undermine other contestants who are just as talented as Pia. So what if some of them don’t have her vocal range. At least they can put on a performance.

• Mel says:

Sorry, Jacob is a classic oversinger and Stefano has terrible pronunciation & obviously has no sense of Idol or musical history. It has nothing to do with not having Pia’s vocal range. They just suck.

27. Volcfom says:

I wonder if criticisms would be different this year if the contestants started on a small stage like they had in past seasons.
    The vocals are what stood out then because the contestants didn’t have the room to run around, frolic and jump off of pianos. They just had to stand there and sing – and then the ones with the real chops would be put through. They’d be molded into complete performers as the competition went on and the stage got bigger.
    The point of this show was to find raw talent, but now we expect the full package from the get-go.
    Does anyone else think we should go back to small stages and vocals over antics?

28. Teresa says:

There’s one choice you didn’t include in the poll: Gwen Stefani. I think Gwen Stefani didn’t help Pia’s cause any at all. She looked frumpy AND the hairstyle didn’t do anything but make her look uptight while singing an “insane” song.

I think the look clashed with the song and lyrics. I thought that as I was watching and still think it had some effect on the votes.

She should have worn what she had on during the results show and her hair big and wild. A real stylist would have done that.

In the end, though, she might have just been too pretty to get the votes form AI’s target audience.

• Jay says:

I’ll agree with that…Gwen was almost a saboteur of the females the way they were dressed. Lauren looked like she was wearing a patterned Depends on the outside. I’m surprised all 3 females weren’t in the bottom 3.

29. dctoronto says:

Michael,

While I am sad to see Pia go at such an early stage, may I suggest you read Ken Tucker’s piece on that other website. While I don’t share in his love for Lusk he does make some interesting arguments for why Pia went.

As he says, what is making Idol more exciting this year is the focus on more interesting, yet not necessarily perfect singers. Pagenty people like Pia and Thia are not gaining the public’s attention the way the would in seasons past.

30. Connie says:

I blame America first and foremost. Then my blame goes to the judges for wasting the precious save. I am sorry but in now way is Casey as good as many of the other contestants. He cant light a candle to Pia. Yes i do know she need to work on her stage presence but she was working on it. I thought she did great. She certainly did not belong in the bottom three.

I am sick of the people who jam up the votes for certain contestants. They need to find a system so people can vote once and only once

• Tarc says:

And I credit Amercia for offing one of the 8 contestants that were never going to win. Was she offed to early? Considering that I really don;t mind that Pia won’t be singing again next week, I’d say no.

• GingerSnap says:

But you’d rather see 1 more week of Jacob Lusk lecturing you about your moral compass while he oversings? Or 1 more week of Stefano & his unintelligible enunciations? Or 1 more week of Paul singing out of tune while he does his chicken leg dance?

• Brittany says:

Have you listened to any of the guest performers on Idol or other popular people right now? Black Eyed Peas, Katy Perry, Ke$ha, Britney, etc., etc., etc. can’t sing worth **** live. Clearly singing out of tune is not as terrible as some people make it out to be. I personally don’t mind when Paul doesn’t have perfect pitch. IMO it just adds to the character of his voice and almost seems like he was doing it on purpose. He’s rocking out on stage and it’s key to his “artistry”. I know many people disagree.

31. Quinton Settle says:

Easily should have Jacob and his over dramatic-ness or Haley and her over the top raspiness should have gone home…Pia may be a little too “Rachel Berry” for some people’s tastes but she’s still amazing and deserved to go at least until the top 4, ‘ Nuff said.

32. karenb says:

I think America just thought Pia would always be safe…that it was a given that she would make it to the finale. So those peeps didn’t feel the need to vote for her.

33. Lilibeth says:

I don’t think Pia would’ve won unless she began making better (read: more contemporary or contemporary sounding) song choices, but I do think it’s ridiculous that she’s NINTH. Worse singers than her by a mile were: (1) Paul McDonald, (2) Paul McDonald, (3) Paul McDonald, (4) Stefano Langone, (5) James Durbin, (6) Jacob Lusk, (7) Haley Reinhart. I really do think the Top 3 were Pia, Lauren and Scotty (and only because he also happens to be charismatic as well having a good understanding of his strengths as an artist/entertainer/vocalist). The rest should have been booted off before Pia if we’re talking vocal as well as performance ability being part of the 50/50 pie.

• Greg Mathison says:

I don’t agree with you. James and Jacob are just as up to par as Pia vocally. She was the strongest female contender, but not in the whole competition.

• jazzy says:

I agree with Greg. Quit ripping on Jacob, he’s a little dorky, ok a lot, but what a voice. Especially with some coaching, experience and development. James too.

34. Laurie says:

Good Lord . . . the melodrama.

Pia did not get enough votes, and sadly, her time on the show ended last night. NOBODY knows why anyone, other then themselves, vote for any particular contestant. But musical taste is highly subjective, and just because you thought she was the best, doesn’t mean that everyone else did. And guess what? They have the right to think that someone else is the best.

Everyone who auditions for AI, signs up for potential heartbreak. Because only ONE person makes it to the end. It’s the nature of the show. And every year . . . every damn year, someone who is really talented goes home sooner than they probably deserve. And every damn year, it’s the same melodramatic hyperbole.

It gets old.

35. agrimesy says:

I wonder if I expect more out of Idol only because it isn’t giving me the entertainment that I want as a viewer. I wonder if there is a vast majority of folks totally cool with Idol just like it is. The production team has been the same for years, clearly manipulating the audience with sponsorship dollars and ratings ploys.
    The judges have always been ineffective and/or downright destructive for several seasons now.
    The contestants have continuously failed to meet the expectations of EVERYONE involved, most of them seemingly better before they slipped into the Idol machine.
    And, the voters “get it wrong” year after year after year.
    I’m okay when in spite of those conditions, the arc of story plays out the way I WANT IT TO. It just usually doesn’t.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    So why do I watch this show? Maybe it’s because . . .
    When Fantasia sang “I Believe” on the finale, I couldn’t stop sobbing.
    When Lakisha Jones sang “This Ain’t a Love Song,” my heart broke right along with hers.
    When David Cook sang “Billie Jean” my chin hit the floor.
    When Adam Lambert sang “Beth” on the finale, I got a flutter in the pit of my stomach that something amazing was about to happen, and that feeling hasn’t gone away not one day since.
    These kinds of emotions are so addicting. I want more WOW moments like that. I’m just not feeling it from Idol anymore. I think it’s pretty obvious that I am not their target audience anymore. Maybe that’s really the problem. They aren’t making this show for me.

36. Erica says:

Once I got over my initial anger over the strongest singer going home, I figured out what was making me REALLY mad. Watching, I guess I wanted to believe that ANYONE had a chance to win, but since a woman has gone home every week since top 13 started, I’m beginning to think you have to have a Y chromosome to win. It makes it a lot less fun to watch when you know that the quality of performances will affect neither the judging (useless) or the voting.

37. Erica says:

To all of you on all the messages who have said you’re throwing your votes to Haley and Lauren to show solidarity for ladies–DON’T. One poster said it right–let’s just quit the BS and only let men try out for this show, since they’re the only ones that can win it unless AI changes voting policy. If you vote for the ladies, you’re just delaying the inevitable.

• PatD says:

Make no mistake about it. Nigel’s counting on all the gender fury to manifest into a Lauren win.

• GingerSnap says:

I was actually thinking about throwing my votes to Lauren or Haley this week, but I’m beginning to think about throwing them to the worst male singer. We have 7 weeks left & only 2 girls left. There’s not a chance in hell that either one of them can make it that far. All it will take is one more girl leaving & the sham that is Season 10 will be clear to everyone. So I’ll be power voting for Jacob & Stefano this week. Hell I might just vote for all the guys.

38. jazzy says:

I called it after the show , ask my friend Kathy! : )

She needs to find the passion, depth and music in her soul. Look how emotional Celine Balladeer is.

However she did not deserve to go home in any way.

39. Kathi says:

Where’s the option – I have no wrath? Get over it Slezak.

40. mrgrk says:

I voted that the producers are to blame. Despite some amazing vocals this week, there were so many cringe moments…the fake teeny bop swarming of Scotty, the moral declaration from Jacob, the outfits from L.A.M.B. (which as Gwen pointed out, she designs for herself…not many can pull those off), the oddly super-positive comments(except for Pia). It’s all not-so-subtle signs of meddling that makes me wonder, not to be a conspiracy theorist or anything, if they really do count these votes in the first place. Gee, how much publicity would it bring if someone like Pia were “voted” off? Apparently, quite a bit.

41. Samantha says:

It doesn’t matter if she was good because America votes on who they like first. Trust me, I have friends that watch Idol and think some of the worst contestants, musically, are the best and vote vote vote it up for them!

42. JenH says:

Hi, my name is Jen and I don’t vote. Why do I not vote? Because I don’t want to sit online or text one vote each for several of my faves. I shouldn’t have to chose between liking several performances. I shouldn’t be voting one person heavily just because I think he’s cute.

It is my belief that people didn’t vote for Pia because she wasn’t their favorite. Plain and simple. What that doesn’t mean is that they thought she was the worst. That’s not the case. And that’s what is wrong with the voting system. Just because that person got less votes doesn’t mean that they aren’t good at what they do or that people didn’t like her performance. It’s just that you have the people that are voting obsessively for their crush or voting to obscure the votes (meaning voting for the worst – they’re out there). Pia is an exceptional singer. I don’t think she should have been voted off before Jacob, Stefano, Lauren or Haley. I don’t think the judges used their save too early. I believe in Casey and I’ve enjoyed his performances.

I think the voting process is wrong. I think you should be voting to kick off the worst performance. You can still do the bottom (or top) three. But people would be voting correctly. People would want to make sure that sucky person was off the show in order to “save” their favorite. I don’t think you should get several calls, text or online votes. You get one vote and that’s it. To say you got a gazillion votes is ridiculous when you have several people voting as much as possible (their cells, friend/family cells, landlines, online, whatever).

But, alas, the show will never change the voting. Why? Because of things like this! They want to be talked about the next day. They want people to scream bloody murder that the wrong person was kicked off because it puts the show’s name out in the media. I mean, EW did at least 3 posts in one of the online columns today. On the same topic. That’s a lot. They want more people to tune in to see what the heck is going on.

So, basically we are all screaming and whining for naught. Nothing we say or do is really going to change AI. That’s why I don’t vote. My vote means nothing compared to the obsessive fan votes. And please don’t try to tell me that not voting in AI is somehow like not voting in politics. And that I can’t complain when I didn’t do my civic duty. Because, hey, I voted in the past 3 presidential elections and so far I only got my choice once. Each of my votes are in competition with someone else’s votes, just like Idol. I do not have the patience nor do I truly care enough to vote over and over again for a TV show. I’m also sick of seeing good people lose. I voted for Last Comic Standing and always the crappiest comedian wins. Why would AI be any different for me?

• PatD says:

Excellent post, JenH.

• Lily says:

Yes! Agree that I have long since decided with the power voting tweens who will spend hours texting and calling for their favorite cute white guy, there’s no point in my spending time on voting. I can’t spend hours, so why bother to vote even once? I do sometimes ‘vote’ with my money in buying iTunes songs. But so far this season, there hasn’t been a single performance that I liked enough to pay to download. Haley’s ‘Blue’ and ‘Bennie and the Jets’ have been closest. Last year, I bought nearly all of Crystal Bowersox’s songs, and the year before that, I bought nearly all of David Cook’s (and regret some that I missed buying.) Too bad buying the music doesn’t count as a vote.

• Eurydice says:

I’d agree with you if we were talking about the laws of physics or something, but for AI there is no correct or incorrect voting – there’s just the system that the producers have put in place. The contestants and the audience have the choice to buy into the system or not. If you don’t want to vote for whatever personal reason, that’s cool – but it’s the obsessed fan who’s actually playing by the rules. And if the contestants don’t want to throw their fortunes out to the judgement of tweens, then they can go find some other way to become famous. Taylor Swift, a pretty girl with a marginal voice, has no problem getting an army of tweens to vote her Entertainer of the Year – she’s figured out how it’s done.

• GingerSnap says:

Power-voting doesn’t take a teenager sitting on her cell phone. It takes a $5 app installed on cell phone that schedules your cell phone to send a text message – as often as you like.
        Or an app on your computer that can be programmed to send a text message every second. Set that up for 2 hours, and you can deliver 7200 text messages.
        If you can find an app that splits the time in milliseconds, you can text even faster than that.
        And you can do this if you have unlimited text messaging.
        It wouldn’t take much to scew the voting.

43. RD says:

It just came to me-Pia’s going to do just fine-in fact she’s going to do better than any of the other contestants in the long run.Because her vocals are pretty great.Check out some of her youtube stuff-She barely broke the surface on Idol and she doesn’t need it to succeed.Go Pia!

44. Tahoe Mike says:

I blame everyone who voted for Jacob and Stefanjaya. They are sick sick people.

45. Mike N. says:

Gotta be honest, the two-seasons-later-and-still-taking-shots-at-Gokey thing really takes away from my enjoyment of Slezak’s writing.

• tarc says:

The trouble is, Gokey was so irritating back then, people are still making fun of him. And being irritating hasn’t changed, if his recent press is any indication.

• stevenjaba says:

The only problem I have with Slezak’s writing are that there aren’t more Gokey jokes. Bring ‘em on!

• Brittany says:

Amen, Mike. I actually really liked Danny and didn’t find him irritating. He has a fantastic voice and actually is a very nice person (I met him). I still follow Slezak despite how much he and Kristen made fun of him. Some of it was warranted yeah, but let’s move on.

46. gregk says:

Voting system is BROKEN!! There should be an investigation into it: how many online votes compared to phone votes? Hope the judges quit over this (I know they can’t but…). Pia was my favorite and hard to believe this happened; I will not bother to vote anymore (two hours wasted forever!). Hope all the girls get voted off and J. Lo acts even more disgusted.

47. G says:

You know what Simon would have done if he was a judge this season……….. Reminded the viewers after Pia’s performance that despite her lack of perfect stage presemce/charisma that we have lost 4 women in a row & that she deserves to stay and that he doesn’t want her to become another female casualty! You are correct Slezak, it is the judges and producer’s responsibility.They needed to remind the viewers! As a female voter, I just assumed Pia was safe. I figured the 3 girls are certainly safe, cause it was impossibel another girl would be voted off. Little girls like Christian Slater’s daughter like pia and lauren, so if any girl was at risk it would be haley, and I was not motivated enough to vote for her. So I voted for my favorite of the 6 males because I was certain the women were safe. I think that is what most voters did who voted.

48. ab2859 says:

Pia = Celine Lite

James = Adam Lite

The only original performer this season is Paul. The rest are cookie cutter idol contestants. I don’t even know what the hell Scotty is doing there – this isn’t Country Idol. Scotty should be on “CMT Superstar”.

• GucciClad says:

Country singers have every right to audition for AI.

There’s NO genre of music more American than country.

That’s why Scotty will win and you will still be living in fantasy land.

• AD says:

No song genre more American than country? Boy, are you small-minded, provincial and uninformed. What about Appalachian, Blues, Jazz, and yes, even Rock and Rap? Go back to your trailer and do some homework.

• GucciClad says:

Looks like you didn’t graduate from kindergarten…

Your post is laughable! Rap is more American than country? You just showed what a complete lack of music knowledge you have.

Country music artists sing about this great country in ways no other genres come close to.

Jazz has more international appeal than country music does, so yeah, country music is just that–the music of my country (and the greatest country on the planet) the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA!

49. blingedup.susan says:

I love you, Michael. I really do. Your recaps are THE BEST.
    But we will have to agree to disagree on Pia. I just didn’t get her. At all. Sorry. I do think the judges need to step it up and help these contestants improve week to week. I’m totally with you on that. And most everything else. :)

50. ohbabs says:

Just because you can color in the lines does not mean it is a beautiful picture. technical ability isn’t the end all. And we americans who treasure uniqueness, creativity and innovation get it more than any one else on this planet. Pia was too old school normative. the boys in the bottom three will be gone soon enough.