Broadway-Bound Robert Sean Leonard Declares: 'This Is My Last Season of House'

Before he joined Fox’s House as the yin to Hugh Laurie’s yang, Robert Sean Leonard was an accomplished Broadway thespian with a handful of Tony nominations (and a win — hello!) under his belt. Now, for the first time in nearly a decade, he’s back on the Great White Way in a revival of Garson Kanin’s 1946 comedy, Born Yesterday. So, while the show is in previews at the moment (ahead of its April 24 opening), the actor is juggling his stage duties with his taping of the final episodes of House‘s seventh season, meaning he commutes from NYC to L.A. on his one day off a week. What was so appealing to him about playing the journalist hired by a corrupt tycoon (The Defenders‘ Jim Belushi) to tutor his airheaded girlfriend (played by newcomer Nina Arianda) that he’d put himself through all this? A hint can be found in the headline. But, as you might expect, there’s more to the story — much more.

TVLine | Why did you wait seven years to return to Broadway?
This is my last season of House. I’m shooting my last episode now. Contractually this is it. There’s also no deal for House next year because Comcast bought NBC Universal and no one has a deal. If I do House next year it’ll be under a new umbrella. But legally and contractually, I’m free after this [season]. So my wife [Gabriella Salick] and I were wondering how the summer looked and what we wanted to do. And I’ve never had enough time to do a play [while doing House] because our hiatuses are only about a month of maybe six weeks long.

TVLine | You don’t really believe this is your last season, do you? I mean, House will eventually get renewed, and you’re a huge part of the show so they’re going to want you back.
[Pauses] I. Love. Money. Very, very much. But I also love my wife and my daughter. And when this play first came up I knew the only way it could work is if the show was over because the run [would overlap] with House‘s shooting schedule. And when my contract was not renewed this season… The long and short of it is, I don’t know. I would love to make more money. Money is nice. I also really miss [living in] New Jersey. I also really miss theater. I miss my friends. Gabby misses her family. I’m sick and tired of living in a place I don’t feel at home. There are very pressing, strong things pulling us in both directions at the moment, so I really don’t know what we’re going to do. It’s going to be a family decision, but it’s not one we have the discomfort of making right now because we’re not being offered options. I assume they’ll make another year of House. And I assume I will do it. But I can’t say for sure. My wife and I are really strange people. We never spend any money. I got my first car when I got out here — a Jetta — and I’ve been driving it since the pilot. We haven’t spent much of the money we’ve made.

TVLINE | You’re shooting the season finale of House now. Does it allude to a possible Wilson departure?
That’s not the plot of the episode, no. That’s not what the episode is about at all.

TVLINE | Even if you do return next season, you’ll still have to miss a couple of episodes because of the play, right?
I’d have to miss quite a few. We could do what we’re doing now, but I’m not sure I would do that – for any amount of money. Commuting 2700 miles is too much for me, and it’s too much for my voice… It’s just hard. I would either have to not be in the first few episodes or they’d have to delay the start date. Or I can be written lightly in them and shoot a couple of Mondays here and there. Anything’s possible.

TVLINE | Why did you decide to make Born Yesterday your Broadway comeback?
Because I love the play. And because [director] Doug Hughes hired Nina [Arianda]. If Doug had hired a famous actress I would have been hesitant. The point of Born Yesterday and the joy of Born Yesterday is Nina Arianda and discovering [her character]. And if you do the play right, then the joy of the play is redefining her every 18 minutes. You think you know who this girl is, and then every 18minutes or so you go, “Wait a minute. Where’d that come from.” That’s what makes the play work. Unfortunately, there aren’t many times in theater when you have someone good enough to pull it off, and we somehow got lucky with Nina.

TVLINE | Was it tough to get back into the eight-shows-a-week grind after doing a TV show for seven years?
No, not at all. I’m at House 17 hours a day. To go into a theater and do a play and be home by 11 – oh my god, are you kidding? It’s like nothing to me. And when you have two dogs and a two-year-old daughter, that’s a nice schedule. I drive to [the House set] in the dark and I come home in the dark. Sure, theater is tough because you’re not home at night a lot and you work on weekends – every job has its downside. But to do something that you love doing for two hours a night, that’s a pretty sweet gig.

TVLINE | Did you miss it?
Oh my God yes. I almost didn’t do it because of scheduling. I looked at the schedule and said, “This is insane. There’s no way.” I had days highlighted in yellow that I was going to be in L.A., and days highlighted in pink that I was going to be in New York. I looked at my wife and I said, “Forget it. There’s no way. I’ll lose my mind.” And she basically said, “If you don’t do this I’ll kill you. You need this. You need to do something you feel this [passionate] about.” I’ve been [on a high] since the first day of rehearsal. I love this company. I love Doug Hughes, I love the play. I love doing it. I can’t wait to get to work every night. I enjoy every minute of it.

TVLINE | I gather House has been accommodating with the scheduling?
Yes, amazingly so. They were extremely, extremely accommodating and sweet about it. They were great. They moved some things around, and they probably wrote me lighter in the final episodes.

TVLINE | Were you prepared to use the “Olivia Wilde got to take a year off to make a movie” argument if they resisted?
No. When I called I said, “Look, you guys — If this can work, great. If it can’t, there are no hard feelings.” Wilson is many things but he’s not Thirteen. I can’t just go away. Thirteen can disappear; Wilson can’t. The show just isn’t structured that way. He has to be there. It’s the way the show works. [He's like] Carlton the Doorman on Rhoda.

TVLINE | What is Wilson’s arc in these final episodes? Is it mostly him continuing to prop up House?
He’s kind of propping up House. This season has mostly been about House and Cuddy and them trying to make [a relationship] work, which is fine with me. I’ve had a lot of time with my dogs and my daughter. I’m just around to pick up the pieces this season.

TVLINE | Were you disappointed Wilson couldn’t make things work with his ex Sam [Cynthia Watros]?
Yeah. I love Cynthia. Anne Dudek was also great. It’s always sad [when Wilson loses a love interest]. But it’s like when Fonzie gets a girlfriend. You’re like, “She’ll be gone soon.” How long can Pinky Tuscadero stick around?

TVLINE | She’ll be hit by a train or something.
[Laughs] Right. Wilson can’t have a long-term girlfriend. It just doesn’t work.

Thoughts? Can there be a House without Wilson? And are you excited to see Leonard stretch his creative wings in Born Yesterday? Hit the comments!

Comments (220)

• YESSSSSSSSSS GOOD RIDDANCE! BYE BITCH

Comment by janem – April 7, 2011 08:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @janem: Your comment is rude and disrespetful. Probably much like you are.

RSL is an amazingly talented actor and an integral part of House. I can’t see there being a House without Wilson. I hope the producers sign him quickly for next season and accomodate his schedule.

Comment by Laura – April 7, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed, although it seems like House isn’t challenging him enough, he was just too diplomatic to come right out and say it.
        I can’t see the show continuing without him. Hugh and Robert have the central, strongest relationship in the show, and much as I love Hugh, I think he needs a straight man to bounce his insanity off. I would have greatly preferred the musical episode to concentrate on them, not House & Cuddy.
        Would love to see Hugh and Robert do a two-man play in NY though. Maybe Sleuth or something I haven’t seen yet. I think their fans love them way beyond these roles.

Comment by sashay – April 8, 2011 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Gotta agree with all the sentiments in this comment.

Comment by Debra Maione – April 19, 2011 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • My second fav character in the TV show, disappointing the he will be written in light this season. Him and House alone can make an awesome show.

Comment by Ryan – July 13, 2011 02:04 PM PDT
        • I really hope RSL will consider the need of the show to have Wilson as a factor. It surprises me that he speaks of how much he loves money, Broadway, New Jersey: I wonder if he cares about House at all. Wish he did. He SEEMS so caring.
          Why I wonder do they need so much money if they never spend any?
          That is strange.
          I hope that he will come back and there will be more seasons. I have zero interest in seeing him on Broadway– just not a play goer and don’t have the money– but I LOVE him on HOUSE and as he says, he is needed.
          To be needed is a great thing, Robert…
          I hope for at least one or two more years of HOUSE.

Comment by Isabella Fiske McFarlin – April 27, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Please, RSL– consider the needs of the poor HOUSE fans who can’t afford to go see you on Broadway. We need you as much as (Gregory) House does. Please come back. At least for one or 2 more seasons.
          Thanks!

Comment by Isabella Fiske McFarlin – April 27, 2011 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Go f**k yourself. The show’s failing just because too many stupid bitches like you are watching.

Comment by atom – April 7, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So why don’t you just stop watching it??? I’m sure there’s some filthy-mouthed show that would fit you just perfectly! Leave house to us “bitches.” We’ll do just fine without someone like you!!!

Comment by Andrea – April 19, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think that he was referencing the OP. Calm down.

Comment by Casey – April 19, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • When he re-signs for next season, I’ll think of you, ya-bitch.

Comment by sadtroll – April 7, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really hope for the show and for the Wilson fans that RSL is able to be back next season. I also hope as a Lisa fan they bring her back. And I can’t wait to find out if they have a deal for the show next season. I hate contract negotiation time. It’s so nerve-wracking

Comment by Lara – April 7, 2011 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Schmuck.

Comment by Hidey Ho – April 7, 2011 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOO House can’t function without Wilson! I could see the show functioning without some of the secondary cast, but House, Wilson, Cuddy are CRUCIAL.

Comment by anna – April 7, 2011 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So I wonder if this means Wilson is the character who dies early in next season; makes sense with this news. :(

Comment by Alicia – April 7, 2011 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope not , maybe the producers can have Wilson return for the series finale , either in the flesh ( Wilson could take an offer to work at an highly reputable cancer clinic or another hospital at the start of season eight ) or if he does die , come back as a ghost or hallucination .

Comment by Tracy Murray – April 7, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Even though the damatics btwn House, Wilson & Cuddy is a unique threesome and hard to duplicate, if RSL doesn’t return I hope that instead of killing him off they transfer him to a cancer center. This would leave the option of Wilson coming back in cameo roles or if the stage doesn’t work out then come back full time. Cameo roles have worked out in other shows that have spun off character shows, ie Gray’s Anatomy comes to mind.

Comment by George Wilson – April 19, 2011 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Final score:
      Extra “S”s on Yes: 10
      Extra “O”s on No: 8

Comment by Rock Golf – April 7, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They can easily do without Cuddy, but not without Wilson.

Comment by Liz – April 7, 2011 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly, just like they did during the first seasons when House was really a great show!

Comment by Rei – April 7, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh, Liz. *sigh*

Comment by Brit – April 8, 2011 03:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ” I’ve had a lot of time with my dogs and my daughter. ”

Geez, puts his pets in front of his child. :D

Comment by Chmarin – April 7, 2011 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, to be fair, he’s probably had them longer. His daughter’s only two.

Comment by Matt – April 7, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It rolls off the tongue easier, doesn’t mean he is ranking them in order of importance in his life. Was that the only detail you noticed in this interview? Most of us are focusing on the news, not nit-picking over his speech.

Comment by sashay – April 8, 2011 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yeah, and if we looked at it that way, he puts his pets AND his kid in front of his wife, who wasn’t even mentioned in this sentence. :p let’s focus on the news.

Comment by nina p – April 19, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Wilson leaves the show, then I am done with House.

Still, he’ll be back in some capacity.

Comment by David F. – April 7, 2011 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same. Wilson adds the much needed comic relief that the House’s team can’t offer. I also don’t see House functioning without Wilson there, but Cuddy is expendable in my opinion.

Comment by JohnDoe – April 7, 2011 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Amen to that! The show would not be the same without Wilson.

Comment by Sylvia – April 9, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love the character of Wilson but I’m so glad that RSL is back where he loves to be, on stage. I’d love to see him in Born Yesterday! (It’s a good thing he and his wife haven’t spent much of the money he’s earned—if they’re going to live in NJ they’re going to need it.)

Comment by Kay – April 7, 2011 08:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG this is awful!

I cannot think of House without Wilson, it’s just not right, it doesn’t feel right! I love Robert and I wish him well… But this is devastating to me… I could care less about Huddy but I cannot do without Wilson!!!!

Comment by maria – April 7, 2011 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the minute this show breaks the holy trinity of Hugh Laurie, Lisa Edelstein and Robert Sean Leonard will be the minute it signed its death sentence officially. Not that it hasn’t anyway, it’s barely hanging by a thread with those incopentent writers that can’t write a good storyline for anyone besides dull 13…

Comment by CTB – April 7, 2011 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lisa Eldelstein? lol
      She is not indispensable.

Comment by SAN – April 7, 2011 12:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “the minute this show breaks the holy trinity of Hugh Laurie, Lisa Edelstein and Robert Sean Leonard will be the minute it signed its death sentence officially.”

This. Those three are their most popular characters. If one of them goes it will do irreparable damage to the numbers and the show. Comcast needs to stop hemming and hawing and renew HOUSE. It’s one of FOX’s biggest shows and still makes plenty of money.

Comment by Audrey – April 7, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • With Hugh, Lisa or Robert, ANY of the OT3 missing ‘House’ would suffer. I couldn’t watch it anymore. For me they are indespensible.

Comment by Dani – April 7, 2011 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • For you, not for me, not for television viewers.

Comment by SAN – April 7, 2011 05:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Uh, speak for yourself!!!

Comment by Andrea – April 19, 2011 10:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m a television viewer, and I don’t appreciate you putting words in MY mouth!

Comment by Andrea – April 19, 2011 10:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I would like to put something in your mouth, and I am not talking about words.

Comment by Joe – April 21, 2011 08:32 AM PDT
      • Same here. The trinity is what I watch for. Hope they stay. Comcast it ticking me off right now stalling. Bring our show back, Comcast! How hard is it to sign another year up for an award-winning show that still has good ratings 7 seasons in and still makes them a lot of money?

Comment by Dan – April 7, 2011 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wilsoooooooooooooon! This is definitely a game-changer!
    But I almost feel sorry for RSL. He is definitely not as
    passionate as a TV actor than a theater actor!

Comment by cath – April 7, 2011 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ‘House’ is dead without Wilson! The bromance is the heart and soul of the show…! They should quit without RSL (if it comes to that!)… Which they won’t and then the show will turn into total crap! Weird how many times he talks about money btw!

Comment by M.K. – April 7, 2011 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, funny how he emphasizes how much he loves.money. and then concludes that he and his wife spend very little. Maybe to let his fans know that he took the job for money but found that the money meant less to them than the challenges he left behind in theatre. Or that he is a little peeved that the new owners haven’t even tried to negotiate anything with the cast as this late point.

Comment by sashay – April 8, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • He needs the money so that he can do theater, because apparently you don’t get paid much for doing plays (he mentioned it in a previous interview).

Comment by K – July 23, 2011 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Comment by maia – April 7, 2011 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Comment by me – April 7, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And in a stunning rematch, the “O”s have gained a tremendous lead. I’ve never seen anything like it. Well, except for Rocky III.

Comment by Rock Golf – April 7, 2011 10:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL!! (Oops, sorry, Rock, did I just add to the “O” lead??)

Comment by Gwen – April 7, 2011 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, infinity.

Comment by Bob – April 8, 2011 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not surprised, of all the actors on House he was the one who never had much to do.If the writers had used him more in gritter storylines then perhaps he would be willing to stay, but no the writers tend to think if you are female and pretty then you can act, how wrong they are!!!

Good Luck RSL It’s time to show the House people how stupid they are by letting you go!!!!

Comment by Toby La Rone – April 7, 2011 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey! way to scare me there!!!! House NEEDS House, Wilson and Cuddy. The rest can come and go, but those three MUST be there til the end!

Comment by Laura – April 7, 2011 08:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, Cuddy is not needed at all, the show can work without her. But Wilson… no, no House without Wilson. No Holmes without Watson.

Comment by Liz – April 7, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • She is, I mean, who’s going to show her ass and boobs? ;)

Comment by lol – April 7, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree, she is nothing more than House’s LI, nothing to do with the medical drama that is the main part of the show. She could be gone and not missed for a second for all I care.
        And before any Huddy crazies start, I do not like Hameron or Hilson(romantically). I just think the show has had enough of House’s tragic love stories

Comment by Christine – April 8, 2011 01:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You know, Holmes worked alone when Watson married, and even wrote two of his cases himself. Wilson or Cuddy are completely unimportant. The show is called HOUSE. Not House and friends.

Comment by Holmes fan – April 19, 2011 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep. If they get rid of Wilson or Cuddy I’m gone. No looking back. The show would be too different and not in a good way.

Comment by Sally – April 7, 2011 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • mte,sally. I love House, don’t get me wrong, but without Cuddy or Wilson in his life it wouldn’t be the same. I’d go too. But if we love Cuddy and Wilson this much the people who actually created them and write for them have to care about them a lot too, right?

Comment by Yvette – April 7, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same for me, Sally. Cuddy and Wilson are the heart of the show, IMO. They need to sign them already!

Comment by Shiloh – April 7, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, Laura. Those three characters feed off each other and humanize the whole premise of the show. Otherwise, it would just be about doctors. You need the male/female romance element as well as the bromance for the show to work.

Comment by Andrea – April 19, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • and… he doesnt sound like he appreciates House enough, dont you think? like… he hates it and only does it for the money? I like much better how Hugh and Lisa talk about the show, the coworkers and showrunners. Nah… he doesnt come accross like a happy and thankful person…

Comment by Laura – April 7, 2011 08:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s clearly not passionate about TV the way he is about live theater, and it’s putting an enormous strain on his family. He sounds like he was probably happy to have a job for a few years, but at this point the job and the money it provides is simply no longer worth the other things it is costing him. Plenty of people make similar decisions about lower-profile jobs every day.

Comment by b – April 7, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He comes across as a person who appreciates that he has an amazing gig that many actors would kill for, that’s taken care of him and his family very nicely, that he isn’t as passionate about as his life in the theatre.

Basically, House is his day-job. And if you know any actors with day-jobs that are flexible and let you do what you love, you’d know that RSL’s appreciation for that simple fact shines through clear as a bell in this interview.

Comment by John – April 7, 2011 09:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed John. RSL has always said he’s primarily a theater actor and decided to do tv work for the pay. The money he makes working on House will allow him a lot more freedom in the future as far as working gigs that don’t pay much (and in theater, unless you’re a huge name you pretty much get bubkes). Nothing wrong with that!

I really hope this is the last season if RSL’s leaving. For me, House and Wilson are the heart of the story, even if Wilson’s been woefully underused the last couple of seasons. I’m not a Hilson–more a fan of Holmes & Watson/House & Wilson. Their friendship is the linchpin that holds the series together.

Comment by Robin – April 9, 2011 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At least he’s no hypocrite. He always said he took on the wilson part to pay the bills, and his true love was the theater. When they stopped using him on the show and a good Theater opportunity came along, he did what he had to do. If you think Lisa and Hugh aren’t in it for the money too (apart from the fact that they get more than 2 seconds an episode of face time) you’re seriously naive.

Comment by Bob – April 7, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This!

Comment by Sam – April 7, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s very true. RSL has always been very open and honest about returning to the theatre one day. What everyone needs to realise is when House debuted, RSL was the best known actor of all the cast unless you were a fan of British comedy (after all, didn’t David Shore who created House think Hugh Laurie was American?).

And as many people have already said, the demise of House has been marked this year in that without Cameron or 13, we’ve had “Huddy” for the best part of it and people just didn’t like that aspect of the show because House is meant to be cranky and misanthropic. As for 13 coming back, I’m not convinced she will spike the ratings but whatever happens with RSL’s departure, if this season isn’t the end of House then next year’s season 8 will be. I feel RSL’s leaving will accelerate this and it’s probably not before time either. Let House go out on top, or what passes for top on the Fox network.

Comment by Scott – April 7, 2011 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree RSL was the most recognizable face when “House” began. I had never even heard of Hugh until I started watching. I doubt 13 coming back will spike ratings. We’ll find out Monday but the numbers have held steady this season from what they were last season. Now that the show has been off the past two Mondays and “Dancing with the Stars” is back, it has fierce competition. I expect the numbers to take a hit from that. OW or no. I hope it won’t be too big a hit.

I sincerely hope they renew Robert S. Leonard’s and Lisa Edelstein’s contracts. If I am going to continue with the series I need them on my screen.

Comment by Sara – April 7, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Absolutely agree completely! Well said Bob.

Comment by Robin – April 9, 2011 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think House could survive without Cuddy long before it could survive without Wilson. I could see him maybe cutting back on his episodes, but if he were to leave the show altogether, that would be the end as much as if Hugh Laurie left.

I totally understand RSL’s personal reasons for wanting to go, and I hope he does what’s right for himself and his family over what’s best for some TV show, but if he does leave they should just shoot a series finale instead of the season finale and call it a day.

Comment by b – April 7, 2011 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. The first seasons the team was more important than Cuddy and the show was at its best. Cuddy can go, they’ll find a new Dean but Wilson, they can’t replace him.

Comment by Ari – April 7, 2011 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Disagree. Wilson is House´s soul but Cuddy is his heart. You can´t leave if your heart stop beating.

Comment by Geor – April 7, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ”but Cuddy is his heart”
        lol sorry, but you wrong.
        RIP Huddy prove that.
        Huddy is over for good.

Comment by Cate – April 7, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Please House married a Illegal green card hooker rather than move in with Wilson AGAIN !!!

Comment by erin bowers – April 7, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • LOL. Too bad their relationship is NOT defined by whether they’re living/sleeping together.

Comment by Marley – April 7, 2011 12:45 PM PDT
          • Wilson is important for House, they’re friends, no matter if they sleep toghetr! Cuddy’s status raised only because she slept with him: once the sex is over so is her role. Is it so difficult for you understand? I realize you’re a huddytard but still…

Comment by Rei – April 7, 2011 01:25 PM PDT
        • I hate these fights between Hilsons, angry Cameron fans masquerading as Wilson fans and Huddy fans. Looking at these comments people look like they’re 12. :/ House can technically be without Wilson *or* Cuddy. It happens in real life all the time. Now as a viewer *I* need both characters. They’re my favorites besides House himself. They have an important place in House’s life. And the actors themselves play off of each other extremely well. I have no doubt in my mind that if the show were to lose either one they would lose a ton of viewers.

Comment by Alexandra – April 7, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
            lol and you (@alexandra) are a bitter Huddy fan masquerading as generic House fans. ”I have no doubt in my mind that if the show were to lose either one they would lose a ton of viewers.” lol
            Is L. Edelstein your princess? I have no doubt.
            House md is Hugh Laurie.

Comment by italiana – April 7, 2011 04:43 PM PDT
          • I’m not bitter at all. And I never pretended to be a generic House fan. I was completely honest about my feelings and thoughts in my post. You seem like the one with a chip on your shoulder. I hope not though. Life’s too short for bitterness. I watch the show for House, Wilson and Cuddy. I love them all equally. Different strokes for different folks. If House is the single reason you watch the show for, it’s no skin off my nose. It’s not like we have to like the same thing.

::shrug::

Comment by re italiana – April 7, 2011 07:05 PM PDT
          • I hate all these Huddy fans coming from a specific stupid website to post their love for Cuddy and Huddy and think that people who do not care that much about that character are angry Cameron fans or Hilson fans.

Comment by un-holy – April 8, 2011 02:29 AM PDT
      • Even Stacy was his heart but he survived. And also House survived without Cuddy for all his life, he’ll get over her. You can replace a girlfriend, not your best friend

Comment by Rei – April 7, 2011 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, maybe he asks one of the surgeons in the clinic to do an open heart surgery on him and get a new heart.

Geese, those comments are so lame.

Comment by Christine – April 8, 2011 01:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Duck, it’s true. Some posters are just plain crazy.

Comment by sarah h – April 8, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this just makes me feel like next season would be the last for House

Comment by Reena – April 7, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I kind of hope it is. House has been stale for AWHILE, and the whole, weird, Huddy experiment was a poor one. I would be happy if they wrapped it up and ended it. I enjoy House’s bitchy quips as much as the next fan, but it’s not going anywhere or changing. Every time the show tries to alter its course in some way, it changes it right back within a few episodes. Yawn.

Comment by Mo – April 7, 2011 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Uh, that’s cause they’re purposely NOT altering it’s course. House is the same stunted, juvenile narcissist as he was in the beginning.
        I get that Shore’s mantra is “people don’t change” but that makes for crap TV. Wonder if Hugh himself is exasperated by House’s lack of growth; it must be tedious recycling the same schtick which stopped being “clever” or “funny” 3 years ago.

Comment by Alicia – April 7, 2011 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I disagree. The show can be changed too much or not enough. The trick is to find the proper balance. Plus there’s a difference between changing the show and changing the characters. I’m sorry you didn’t enjoy House and Cuddy together, I did and wish they would’ve explored it more substantively. But I digress. I want the show to continue and I want Lisa E. back and Robert L. back. House needs his lovely girlfriend and his goofy best friend to be “House”.

Comment by Tom Ballard – April 7, 2011 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sure, let go of Wilson and kill Cuddy off next. Good luck with that.

Comment by David – April 7, 2011 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I won´t miss him.RSL never cared for the show,anyway.He does the show for the money,so he can save up and go on playing theater.Good Riddance.

Comment by sarah – April 7, 2011 09:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “This is my last season of House,” the headline screams… and then the rest of the interview explains why this isn’t necessarily true. Way to rile the fans, Robert!

Comment by Brit – April 7, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly, he very clearly says he’s sure he’ll be in the next season of House if there is one. Just that contractually, so far, this is his last season. Which is true for everyone except Laurie.

Comment by Volta – April 7, 2011 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How the heck is the headline RSL’s fault? He’s not the person that picked it. If you’re looking for a reason to be mad at him, at least pick one that’s legit.

Comment by Katie – April 10, 2011 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is bul****. I doubt he is leaving. He WILL be back in some capacity. I don’t see the show EVER letting go of Wilson or Cuddy.

Comment by Lucas – April 7, 2011 09:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope that RSL stays. There wouldn’t be a House without a Wilson; he is the Watson to his Holmes. Wilson sort of acts as the audience’s direct connection to House. I hope that if there were another season that there would be a greater exploration into his character, not only so he might stay, but because he is the only one out of the main character trio (House, Cuddy, and Wilson) that hasn’t really had his background explored. We’ve seen an exploration of House throughout the series, and got some rather interesting insights as to why Cuddy is the way she is this season. I would honestly hope that next season (if there is a next season) would be more Wilson focused (perhaps in the episodes when the play was over)

Comment by Lori – April 7, 2011 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really hope that RSL stays too. He is part of the vital triumvirate that makes this show work so well. I do think that we have gotten a tremendous lot of information about Wilson’s background over the years: we learned about his long-lost brother and the mental illness that overtook him; we met two ex-wives and a serious girlfriend (Amber); we learned how Wilson met House in New Orleans at the medical conference; we met Wilson’s best friend when he gave him a part of his liver in a transplant operation; we saw Wilson pushed to the limit by the Tritter arc and his repeated subversions and mini-betrayals of House as he tried to combat the vicodin addiction. I think we have learned a huge amount about Wilson, especially in comparison to Cuddy, Chase or Cameron. RSL is a terrific actor and his presence on the show is essential to its health. Wilson is as important to House in his way as Cuddy is in hers. Neither House nor “House” can do without either of these two crucial supporting character.

Comment by carla – April 7, 2011 10:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • ”the main character trio” ”triumvirate”? dumb.
        House md IS House md. The end.

Comment by santa – April 7, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Santa, I’m with you! Don’t care about Huddy or Wilson! They could run in a tribe of trolls to take their places! I don’t care! So long as Hugh Laurie is walking into that hospital on Monday night, I’ll be there! Without Hugh Laurie playing House, this show would have been over after season one. The acting ability of Hugh Laurie has made fortunes for the cast and without them the series will continue to be great with the original creators and Hugh Laurie.

PS I may be the only House fan who did not LOVE Amber Tamblynn. It is probably just me, but her sad sober face walking aimlessly through episode after epidsode will not be missed by me. I’ll be hoping that in her next role on TV or movies, she’ll still be the most loved, most talented actress around, but I just could never see what she was doing as acting as a compelling character.

Comment by olegoldfish – April 20, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “Vital triumvirate.” I like that and I completely agree that neither House, nor I, could do without them.

Comment by @Carla – April 7, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Good comment Carla. I completely agree with the vital triumvirate thing. House, Cuddy and Wilson are my favorites. :)

Comment by Anliah – April 7, 2011 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think Wilson is essential to the show. Cuddy isn’t. She’s been used up as a character.

They need to revitalize the show and the best way to do it is to get House a real boss. But they can’t have House without Wilson.

Comment by Ange – April 7, 2011 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will miss him so much. He is my favourite character. But I won’t let my own love of the show get in the way of his life. I think I read stories before how he wasn’t happy in L.A. and I’m really excited to see him on Broadway in general. I’ll be sad, but, he’ll keep busy and as long as he’s happy, his fans should be happy.

Comment by Jen – April 7, 2011 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, not so scary…
    Goodbye RSL. Wish you luck!

Comment by Raven – April 7, 2011 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House loses a lot with him leaving.He was easily one of my top 3 favorite characters.

Comment by Tim – April 7, 2011 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for RSL, making sensible choices and pursuing what he loves best. With no contract, why should he hang around LA?

I’d love this to be the last season of House, I’m tired of House’s miserable behavior.

Comment by Jack – April 7, 2011 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely love the ‘Carlton the doorman’ analogy! LOL
    But I think he’s much more important than that. I can’t imagine House without him. I think if he left House, the character, it would be even worse for House than his breakup with Cuddy.

Comment by jen – April 7, 2011 09:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why Olivia Wilde don’t leave the show?
    Should be

Comment by DrugsLover – April 7, 2011 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOTHING FEELS REAL

I THINK I’M DYING

IS THIS HELL?

Comment by Tophu – April 7, 2011 09:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL! Great comment. For me, House, Wilson, Cuddy, and FOREMAN are cruicial to my House viewing. My husband and I have watched from day 1! However, didn’t watch very much when Foreman was fired.

Comment by Jasmine – April 12, 2011 09:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show does not work without House, Wilson or Cuddy-period.

Comment by Catrina – April 7, 2011 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This. Those three are essential.

Comment by Sam – April 7, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think the show would work even better without Cuddy.
      But Wilson is essential.

Comment by Pat – April 7, 2011 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. House would not work without it’s namesake.

Comment by House fan – April 19, 2011 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The show does NOT work without Wilson. Love him!

Comment by Dijea – April 7, 2011 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You should kill dumb 13 not Wilson! God! Why “top 100 most sexy girls” or stupid “Legacy” more important????

Comment by Love[H] – April 7, 2011 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO KMN i will die if the show ends =(

Comment by i – April 7, 2011 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This season of House was A MESS.. after being surrended by Cuddy’s ass for almost all episodes and boring Huddy storyline THIS is the cherry on the top.. RSL leaving the show…

SAD!

I am so sad …. I am happy for RSL, I wish him all the best for his family and to be very happy… but … House won’t be House without WIlson… F… the most worried thing is now… THEY WILL GIVE US BACK THAT IDIOT HUDDY STORY ????? I hope not!!!!!!!

Comment by nohuddyfan – April 7, 2011 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • HUDDY MORE INTERESTING THAT FU–ING THIRTEEN STORYLINE
      now Wilson gone…
      My God, no Huddy, no Hilson…
      but hello fu–ng STUPID not interesting Thirteen

This is hell

Comment by YesHuddyFan – April 7, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, better Thirteen than Huddy. And I’m not a Thirteen fan at all. Huddy is just too vomit-inducing. Sorry, Huddy fangirl.

Comment by Sam – April 7, 2011 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love RSL and Wilson is my favorite, but frankly, watching House has become a real drag in the past couple of seasons. So if Broadway’s calling him back, I say good for him! I’ll be glad to take House off my viewing schedule.

Comment by AJ – April 7, 2011 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Two words : Contract Negotiations.

How many times did he mention ‘money’ and not having a ‘story arc’ ?

He put it out on the table & it’s up to TPTB to pick it up.

Comment by erin bowers – April 7, 2011 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am an ardent supporter of the House/Cuddy relationship. But I don’t think the show would work to its full potential without the presence of Wilson. He is the linchpin of the show, providing the audience/rational person perspective on all the bizarre and twisted happenings. If House loses his best friend (Wilson) after having lost his heart’s desire (Cuddy), House will die. Its very simple: no Cuddy, no Wilson, no House. End of story. End of show.

Comment by carla – April 7, 2011 10:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Honestly, HOUSE has gone downhill over the past couple of seasons anyway….but losing Wilson will be the last straw.

Comment by Kathy Bergeron – April 7, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wilson is Watson, can ANYONE imagine Sherlock Holmes – in any of its avatars – without Watson???!!! I love House but if they do this, it’s gonna bomb. :(

Comment by Anita – April 7, 2011 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So with this in mind, House will eventually conclude in about, another year after this season? I’m hoping that’ll be the case. I feel like the show has nowhere to go after Wilson leaves (or as even the article says, that he’s not going to be around as often as he has).

I love Wilson, very much. But the storylines have been kind of a drag these past few seasons, although I enjoyed the Amber/rehab arc immensely.

Comment by Lisa – April 7, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The title of this article gave me a heart attack. I will be sad if there is no Wilson in house! If he is just in it less, that isn’t too bad as just knowing that Wilson has left for good. I’m glad Robert can return to Broadway which is clearly something he loves, but if there was just point blank no wilson on house, I would cry.

Comment by Allison N – April 7, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to agree with other commenters in saying that the current season of House is on a treadmill – nothing really happens – if something does, it always loops back around again with minimal character development. Wilson is my favourite character, and the House/Wilson relationship is one of the main reasons I watch the show. I love his character’s quirkiness and doubt the show will survive when he’s gone. :(

Comment by Demara – April 7, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When they broke the team up and got rid of Cameron and put Huddy together, it destroyed the show, and now with RSL leaving supposedly, just another nail in the coffin. House is awful now!!! Dumbass writers should have never got rid of Cameron!

Comment by Brandy – April 7, 2011 10:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Robert Sean Leonard is an excellent actor and his Wilson has been a pleasure to watch. He is not replaceable. He is also a team player so if there were to be a final 8th season of House I bet he’ll be there just not every episode.

Comment by Amy – April 7, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RSL is a pretty good negotiator. He isn’t going anywhere. He already said he assumed he will be back. He is playing hardball. Good for him. They will be eating out of his hand-More money, less worktime and the ability to let his Broadway play run its course. He has a damn good agent.

Now let’s see what LE comes up with? Like RSL, she needs to be a permanent fixture on the show.

I wish RSL & LE the best luck in their negotiations. They deserve to be rewarded.

Comment by Smartagent – April 7, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agreed. While RSL might not be consciously playing hardball (the man’s known for rambling in interviews), he is indeed simply talking about contract matters. And he is in a way CONFIRMING he’ll come back if a new contract is offered, so maybe ppl should worry about House’s renewal first. Don’t know much about his agent, but I vaguely remember he’s represented by William Morris. Boy you gotta trust those people, a savvy, nononsense and merciless bunch indeed.

The case with Lisa Edelstine is actually more precarious. With huge budget cuts on the way(confirmed by multiple sources including Exec Producer Greg Yaitanes), and since the show’s in desperate need of a change in dynamics(they tried with the Huddy story line, which turned out a complete bust of course), it’s possible they’ll want to lose at least one player. Although it’s unlikely they’d lose Cuddy, but not impossible. Compare to RSL, LE’s character is much less crucial to the show’s development (especially after the Huddy breakup) and more importantly her agent is significantly less momentous in the business (she’s represented by one of the smaller agencies…can’t remember which one, IFA maybe?).

Comment by ticky – April 7, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think the cast is still big anyway, so if budget costs are a major concern, the lesser cast members should be shed. Namely, 13, Taub and Foreman. I like Cuddy (although I liked her a little less during the Huddy period) but I could also see letting go of Lisa if necessary. For me, the three essentials are House, Wilson and Chase. (Jesse Spencer provides the eye candy and most of the laughs, as well as some of the good drama). I think a strong three character arc provides the best drama on a TV show anyway, since it’s difficult to give enough time and writing to a larger ensemble. Works on some shows, but not always that way on House. Especially since, the name of the show is House not Hospital Affairs. It would give both Robert and Jesse more challenges and keep them interested.

Comment by sashay – April 8, 2011 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Obviously RSL is fed up too with this Huddy-mess. His character was reduced to a Huddy chearleader and the funny dorky friend. I can understand when he wants to leave. His talents are so underused.
    After Cameron now RSL is leaving because of stupid Huddy and LE a$$/B**bs.

No Wilson, No Show.Now I´m official done with this show. I`m not sure if i watch the final episodes. It will be another boring wimpy-house is so in love with Cuddy,like the last two seasons. I don`t care anymore. Stupid writers!!

Comment by tara – April 7, 2011 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well of course it is obvious Tina.

Did you hear that RSL is fed up with the Huddy-mess from the man himself? Cause hey if you know RSL you must run in some great circles. Please do not put words in some elses mouth unless you have some interview with RSL clearly stating how sick he is of the Huddy-mess. DO YOU ? Well Please share.

Comment by erin bowers – April 7, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Did you hear anything stating he likes it? DId you? Did you? Please share. Otherwise STFU and play Huddy with your barbie dolls, kiddo.

Comment by Melly – April 7, 2011 12:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Look at the interview. The only reason he says he would stay is because of the money. Not because he likes the role, not because the scripts are so great, not because he wants to work with Hugh Laurie.

RSL is too gracious a guy to say it right out but it’s pretty obvious there is nothing left on the show for him in terms of acting.

Ironic that he’s following Jennifer Morrison to Broadway.

Comment by Kate – April 7, 2011 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Gee, I was amazed that he didn’t care about working with HL and LE and the rest and that he doesn’t really care about anything but money and Broadway. It’s a great show and it needs Wilson badly.
          Why don’t they actually film it in New Jersey so he could live there?
          So odd that it’s about NJ but filmed in Calif. Silly really.
          I have liked it this season although I don’t understand why House and Cuddy couldnt have had at least one whole season to try it out. Maybe the final eps will answer some of these questions. Sigh.

Comment by IMCFARLIN – April 27, 2011 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I heard that too, and I don’t blame him. I’m fed up with Huddy too.

Comment by Sam – April 7, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ow COME ON how dare you blame Huddy! Just because writers failed DOES NOT mean Huddy is crap!!!!!!

Comment by niceMan – April 7, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The writers are the same ones who wrote wonderful episodes in the seasons before Huddy took the show over. Occam’s Razor – Huddy failed, not the writers.

Comment by Ange – April 7, 2011 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House without Wilson is like playing football without a ball. It’s just impossible. If it’s so then it MUST be the last season of House. Fans can go on with the show without House but without Wilson…no way!

Comment by Mary – April 7, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sorry, I meant fans can go on without Huddy.

Comment by Mary – April 7, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you just imply Wilson is House’s balls ?

Seems essential when put that way……………..

Comment by Toughestfrail – April 7, 2011 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House needs Wilson. But if they give RSL some time off next season, they can show the effect not having Wilson around has on House. Then when RSL is available, he can come back.

Comment by maggie – April 7, 2011 11:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If a Season 8 occurs, House will have to make it without Wilson. They’d get another doctor in to replace Wilson BUT it wouldn’t be the same unless he gives to one of his team and hires another team member. I think House will return for a Season 8 BUT on a much sweeter note maybe more of 2 part series to make the story more interesting, hope the writers can produce stories like that. Will miss Robert/Wilson but the man and his family have to move on to better things in there life. Well wishes to you Robert in what you do. Will always remember you as a WILSON in HOUSE series. LOVE YOU always. Take care.

Comment by HAPPY – April 7, 2011 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House without Wilson?! NO WAY!!! Kill off Cuddy, other than Huddy fangirls no one needs her! But House without Wilson?! Just NO! It’s like taking Watson away from Holmes!

Comment by Sally – April 7, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOO,Wilson and Cameron House was my favorite,I remember the scenes with Cameron Wilson,were brilliant and so with House…I´ll never see more House not interest me at all 13 and the rest Huddy

Comment by John – April 7, 2011 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m right with you. I watched the show for Wilson and Cameron, and House in scenes with them. Didn’t like who House is when he is with Cuddy, Thirteen drags him down, he is a bully with the rest of the team.

If Wilson’s gone, there’s nothing left on the show that interests me any more.

Comment by Kate – April 7, 2011 06:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • who really cares about any of this christ

although WHO WOULDN’T TURN DOWN THE CHANCE TO WORK WITH JIM BELUSHI

TO-GA TO-GA TO-GA…2000!

that play looks seriously awful

well see ya

Comment by jane – April 7, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • RSL will own in this play just like he does with everything else he has played/been in.

As for the possibility of him leaving, I say more power to him. He will be missed as Wilson by this fan but the theater is his first love.

Comment by Ann – April 8, 2011 05:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was his BROTHER, the late great John Belushi. If you can’t even keep living and dead brothers straight, why would anyone think your opinion of a play is relevant in any sort of way??

Comment by sashayG – April 8, 2011 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post