Breaking: Showtime Orders Kristen Bell Comedy

Get More: News, Scoop

It’s Showtime for Kristen Bell! ...READ MORE

The cable net has officially given a series pickup to House of Lies, a half-hour comedy starring Veronica Mars MVP Kristen Bell and Oscar nominee Don Cheadle.

Showtime has also greenlit the Claire Danes drama Homeland. Both shows received 12-episode orders.

Lies, based on Martin Kihn’s hit tell-all book How Management Consultants Steal Your Watch and Tell You the Time, revolves around dueling corporate management consulting firms. Bell plays Jeannie, a razor-sharp Brown grad who reluctantly finds herself attracted to her co-worker Marty (Cheadle). The cast also includes Ben Schwartz (Undercovers), Josh Lawson (Romantically Challenged), Dawn Olivieri (Heroes) and Glynn Turman (In Treatment).

At the Golden Globes: Claire Danes Previews Her Showtime ‘Psychological Thriller’

Homeland, meanwhile, is a psychological thriller about a CIA officer (Danes) who becomes convinced that the intelligence that led to the rescue of a presumed-dead U.S. soldier (Damian Lewis) was a setup and may be connected to an Al Qaeda plot to be carried out on American soil. Mandy Patinkin also stars as a veteran CIA Division Chief who serves as a mentor to Danes’ character. The series is produced by 24 vet Howard Gordon.

Comments (49)

• “Kristen Bell comedy?” Really? I know she’s got a fanatical internet following because the Veronica Mars freaks refuse to move on, but I’m pretty sure everyone else on the planet will think of this as Don Cheadle’s show.

Comment by M – April 7, 2011 12:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, Kristen Bell is the draw. And the guy who plays John Ralphio. Yes, really.

Comment by brian – April 7, 2011 12:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • John Ralphio FTW! I thought the same when I read this, I’m most excited for Kristen Bell and the man, the myth, the legend, John Ralphio!

Comment by josh – April 7, 2011 01:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I didnt even notice Jean Ralphio til you said!

Comment by Green – April 9, 2011 05:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And that’s based on her parts in ‘Deadwood,’ and ‘Party Down.’ I haven’t seen episode one of ‘Veronica Mars.’ Yes, really!

Comment by brian – April 7, 2011 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Deadwood FTW! I absolutely love Kristen Bell, and I am a fan of Veronica Mars. I’m so glad she’s returning to television because movies haven’t been very kind to her.

Comment by Nicotine – April 7, 2011 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A. Veronica Mars was a great show.

B. I’m just glad she’s doing something besides bad romantic movies and is going to be in something where she can actually show off her talents.

Comment by Cameron – April 7, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This. Her talent has been wasted on all those awful romcoms, am very much looking forward to her new show.

Comment by Emily – April 7, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s the cuteness factor. She’s got that super-cute, big wattage smile that execs kill for in romcoms. It also doesn’t hurt that she has excellent comedic timing. While I haven’t really been a fan of all her RCs, I did love Forgetting Sarah Marshall, but because of Jason Segal and Paul Rudd. “Oh the weather outside is weather…” Hahahaha!

Comment by Stephanie – April 7, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Forgetting Sarah Marshall was really funny. But as for the rest.. Love Kristen Bell though.

Comment by Emily – April 8, 2011 03:47 AM PDT
  • Love me some Kristen Bell (the coolest chick in town).

Comment by Fernanda – April 7, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You know what that means? Kristen Bell is gonna get naked!

Comment by Em – April 7, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • One can only hope!!!

Comment by Nicotine – April 7, 2011 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Seriously, look at how well that worked out for Emmy Rossum. The time has gone for actors/actresses to be looked on in shame because they went nude for a role.

Comment by Nicotine – April 7, 2011 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love everything about it…except the fact that Cheadle is a love interest. Don’t get me wrong, I love me some Cheadle, but those two as love interests seem BADLY miscast.

Oh, and I can’t wait to see how long till patankin bails on THIS show.

Comment by Mike – April 7, 2011 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She is attracted to him, nothing says that Cheadle’s character is ok with it, he might be married or just not attracted to that very young woman that could be his daughter… The Comedy might come from the fact she wants him but he doesn’t etc…

Comment by teniba – April 8, 2011 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Kristen Bell back on TV! If Only her character was named Veronica…alas…

Comment by BRynna – April 7, 2011 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kristen Bell AND Damian Lewis back on my TV? Yessss!

Comment by Alex – April 7, 2011 12:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like to point out Dawn’s last name is OLIVIERI not Oliveri.

Comment by Tracy – April 7, 2011 12:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? You’re freaking out over a single letter typo? Really?

Comment by Stephanie – April 7, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It’s not a “typo”. It’s a completely different last name…

Comment by BRETT – April 7, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO excited to have KB back on TV. Showtime’s track record lately has been pretty much spotless. Her show sounds very dull, but we’ll see. But Claire Danes and Mandy Patinkin on a show from the creator of 24? HOLY CRAP. I’m excited.

Comment by Steven – April 7, 2011 12:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dear cast of ‘Homeland’,

You have a live wire in your midst disguised as Mandy Patinkin, king of “leave ‘em in the lurch”. You have been warned.

Sincerely,
    The Cast of Criminal Minds

Comment by PaulH – April 7, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was thinking the same thing, but you forgot to cosign with the cast of Chicago Hope. Yes he’s talented and will always have a spot in my heart from the Princess Bride, but how many bridges does he get to burn before he stops getting chances?

Comment by Doug – April 7, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My first thought when I saw he was a main cast member was also “boy, I hope they have a back-up plan for when he bails.”

Comment by Anne Motto – April 7, 2011 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly. How many times will they trust him to be be there?

Comment by Renee – April 7, 2011 06:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not to mention “Dead Like Me”

Comment by Maggie – April 7, 2011 08:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll admit it, I’m a Veronica Mars “freak”, as M called it, but there’s a reason for that. The show was fantastic, the characters well formed (mostly), a good balance among Drama, Comedy, and Noir… It really was one of those shows that was waaay to good to have had such a small audience. That said, Bell herself really is worth watching. Plus, Cheadle is an amazing actor and also worth watching. Both have great chemistry and charm, I just hope they have that together. I’ll tune in to find out.

Comment by Stephanie – April 7, 2011 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You mean I have to get Showtime now? Sheesh, the things I do for K Bell!

Comment by Michael – April 7, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don Cheadle and Kristen Bell as love interest

now THAT is a unlikely pair and i like it

Comment by ggny – April 7, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The kind of pair u can only find on cable tv… And to be honest in real life we see a lot of couples we think are very odd, like a missmatch, but they love each other… But i think she ill be attracted to the man, doesn’t mean he is attracted to her… or maybe it will take time for her ton win him, maybe it creates tension because he is married and one of the two guys is attracted to her as well etc…

I already do not apreciate that it’s half hour comedy… but i guess the big c, united state of tara has have told us u can do great stuff with half hour comedy tese days and sometimes the big c does better drama than self proclaimed drama tv show like private practice or grey’s anatomy…

Comment by teniba – April 8, 2011 06:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Watching. Actually, both sound kinda cool.

Comment by John – April 7, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don Cheadle is the bigger name but K Bell is the main character. Just read the description. Either way excited for this!

Comment by Sam Van Haren – April 7, 2011 03:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, she’s not. She’s not even the third major character. This is Don Cheadle’s show. But Aussielo has always been a KB pusher so what else is new?

Comment by Casey – April 7, 2011 05:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • People who follow Ausiello, follow this site and his new, are thus Ausholes, are then K Bell fans. That’s just the way it is. He wrote the article title geared towards his audience.

It’s okay. Don is great and will get many a-title in other sites. No one can take away his Oscar nomination or his name in article titles away from him.

Comment by Michael – April 7, 2011 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kristen Bell is very funny / fun, she is the drew! Hell she should have her own talk show.

Comment by Midori – April 7, 2011 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another Flop Show for Kristen

Comment by Dave – April 7, 2011 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Total agree.

go back to sci fi and supernatural shows, KB. comedies are not your thing. This is a failure waiting to happen.

Comment by ArrowK – April 8, 2011 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for reminding me, not long till Scream 4!

Comment by deedeedragons – April 7, 2011 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    Love me some Don Cheadle wub wub (Hotel Rwanda)..and Kristen Bell (she can be pretty diva-ish, pain in the ass..ask die-hard Veronica Mars fans lol) but when she wants to act she kills it (yeah despite her awful sort of ‘movie career’)..And face to mister awesome Don Cheadle as a costar, on a comedy, on Showtime i am sure she will bring it ! Yeah finally i am exited about a new show.
    And mister Mandy Patinkin comes back on tv, welcome come Mandy, stay a little longer this time..lol..anyway good actor, Damien Lewis is good also and Claire Danes can be annoying (but i still has a soft spot for her because of Angela..by the way it is the first time she comes back on tv since Angela’s cancellation right ? wow it’s been a long time.. And also because of Romeo+Juliet, it was the movie who made me love some Leonardo..yeah it was not Titanic for me..lol and the songs on this movie just miam awesome, “lovefool” by the Cardigans such good memories for me..)
    Ok ok i stop now but above all such good news, good cast, good premises. Winning ! lol

Comment by Juliet – April 8, 2011 01:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very excited about Homeland, I was hoping that they would get a pick-up. Clare Danes and Damian Lewis are both great actors. Can’t wait.

Comment by Miranda – April 8, 2011 04:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Funny that the tite of this article do not mention that the big player on that comedy is actually Don Cheadle an oscar nominated actor?

Comment by teniba – April 8, 2011 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just hope the comedy is the line of the Big C and United State of tara, dark comedy, borderline drama when it needs to be…

Comment by teniba – April 8, 2011 06:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You have Don Cheadle, Claire Danes, & the great Mandy Patinkin to choose from and you picked Kristen Bell for the headline?

Wonder how many episodes Patinkin does before quiting?

Comment by Joe Jackson – April 8, 2011 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • damian lewis back on tv? i may have to order showtime.

Comment by tom – April 8, 2011 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Never heard of Don Cheadle but yay for Kristen Bell! KB is a talented actress who unfortunately was wasted in all those bad movies. If it weren’t for KB being a part of this show I wouldn’t care about it let alone be willing to watch.

Comment by lace – April 8, 2011 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAYAYAYYAYA Kristen Bell on my TV again!!! Cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Mari – April 12, 2011 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited! Love Kristen and Cheadle! Also, so excited Josh Lawson is in this, flying the flag for Down Under. He’s so hilarious!

Comment by Beth – July 8, 2011 03:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post