New America's Best Dance Crew Judge D-Trix Previews Bieber-ific 'Season of the Superstars'

America’s Best Dance Crew returns to MTV this Thursday at 10/9c, and new judge Dominic “D-Trix” Sandoval tells TVLine it’s the best season yet — and if anyone knows, it’s the onetime Crew contestant!

TVLINE | Congrats on the new gig. How does it feel to be back on the ABDC stage as a former fan fave and judge?
I’m really nervous [Laughs], since this is the first time I’m going to judging. It’s always been the opposite for me, because I grew up competing on these reality dance-competition shows. But that helped me because I went through the process and know what those trials and tribulations feel like. More than anything, I’m just excited to help the crews reach their full potential. I know what language to speak to really hit them.

TVLINE | How’s the level of talent this season? Are there any noticeable differences from years past?
We’re taking it international, like “World’s Best Dance Crew.” There have been previous seasons with versatility, but this is the first time it’s coming from other countries. It’s no longer just cultures inside the main cities in America, but  places around the world, like Taiwan and New Zealand.

Exclusive: Meet the ABDC Season 6 Contestants

TVLINE | Having already seen the dancers in action, which crews stand out to you?
Of course, the pole dancers are mixing two styles together, which is really interesting; you’ve heard about it, but you really have to see it. And with the krumpers, you’re not just getting krumpers, you’re getting the originals who created the style. And there are these little boys from New Jersey who are the most adorable kids. It’s no longer “this age to that age” — if you’re good, you’re on the show.

TVLINE | Do you think labeling this season as the “Season of the Superstars,” and paying tribute to different artists each week, changes the game at all?
The “Season of the Superstars” was the greatest idea because in previous seasons there’s always just been one week with a superstar-theme. I’m most excited about Justin Bieber because I’ve followed his career since his beginning on YouTube. I love his music, and I’m looking forward to seeing what each crew can do on Justin Bieber week. It’ll be funny and entertaining at the same time.

Take a peek at the kick-ass opening number from the Season 6 premiere of MTV’s ABDC, airing Thursday at 10/9c:

Comments (13)

• How quickly they forget. You had someone on last season from another country, D-Trix. Blueprint Crew even made it to the final two.

Comment by Sunny – April 7, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im excited but what happened to Omarion although I found him a little cheesy last season I like him better than JC…oh well @Sunny I was thinking that and also the 2 crews from Puerto Rico last season and the season before I think..still looking forward to the premier tonight.

Comment by Reena – April 7, 2011 11:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree Sunny. Two seasons ago, they also had that six person crew (3 gals, 3 guys) from Brazil that made it to the finals (AfroBorike, I think). They were crazy good and so unique!

Comment by Debbie – April 7, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • D-Trix was not a judge last season or 2 seasons ago! He probably doesn’t know or care that they had crews from other countries before.

Comment by Roni – April 7, 2011 10:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking at that picture, all I keep thinking is:

One of these things is not like the others,
    One of these things just doesn’t belong,
    Can you tell which thing is not like the others
    By the time I finish my song?

Awww, I miss Sesame Street.

Comment by Bob – April 8, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cannot stand the new judge for this season….. everything is mad sick or mad dope, or mad respect. Seriously put the thing on mute when he talks,Ugh!!!

Comment by Shrtpckts – April 14, 2011 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed, considering just not watching anymore. He has “mad respect” for almost every group, the kid needs to learn some new words to be sitting in the judges chair. NOT A GOOD JUDGE AT ALL!!!

Comment by swigs – April 14, 2011 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I used to count the many times he would say MAD DOPE/MAD RESPECT. He is SO ANNOYING!! but I noticed this week’s episode he didn’t say any even once. Maybe he was told to read the dictionary to learn more words. I hope they find someone else SOON ASAP!!

Comment by Thea – April 23, 2011 01:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not happy – Bluprint Crew, Canada has been the star – you snubbed them saying not America – now you bring in New Zealand – thought no one outside America could win? Bogus. Not happy. And your selections this year? juvenile. You’re losing us, we’re not stupid or lame.

Comment by jet – April 17, 2011 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Thea – April 23, 2011 01:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you are….you now:))=)) :X

Comment by raluca – August 21, 2011 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • QUESTION: Where can I find the site of the iconic boyz? answer please

Comment by nazih – December 25, 2011 11:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah..!! D-Trix will rock seasion-6. I have never missed any season and this time D-Trix will entertain us. Really waiting for first episode.

Comment by roy@ dance school chesterfield – October 26, 2013 03:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post