Breaking In's Bret Harrison: New Fox Comedy Is Equal Parts The Office, The A-Team

Hopefully American Idol will do that kingmaking thing it does this Wednesday and set up Fox’s Breaking In with a boffo audience come 9:30/8:30c. The caper comedy stars film vet Christian Slater as Oz, the head of a company that gives top-shelf security systems a firm kick in the tires. Oz recruits slacker hacker Cameron (Reaper’s Bret Harrison) to join his team, working alongside Odette Yustman (Brothers & Sisters), Alphonso McAuley (Chocolate News) and Trevor Moore (The Whitest Kids U’Know, channeling Dwight Schrute).

Harrison gave TVLine a look at what to expect from Breaking In, its requisite “Will they/Wont they?” workplace romance, and one atypical Christian Slater moment.

TVLINE | I suppose I could thank you, as a representative of Breaking In, for the cake that reporters were sent this week.
I heard about that! And it’s my birthday [on premiere day], so….

TVLINE | Oh, that’s what’s it’s really about. So fill in the blank for people: “If you like ___, you’ll like Breaking In.”
If you like The A-Team, you’ll like Breaking In. If you like The Office, you’ll like Breaking In. [Laughs] And if you like Breaking In, you will like Breaking In!

TVLINE | From what I detect on screen, you all seem to be having a good time doing this show.
It’s just so much fun because the showrunners, writers and directors for the most part have been so collaborative — more so than with anything I’ve worked on before. There are times where we’ll come up with something really funny from a particular scene and if we can shoot a “pop” [cutaway], like they do on 30 Rock, and it’s easy, we’ll do it.

TVLINE | Since you play an elite hacker working for a security firm, I am required to ask: How are your own computer skills? And have you ever stolen anything?
Well, for my initial character research I bought a computer. And I learned how to type. [Laughs] Now I can find my way around the Internet! And I stole a Snickers bar when I was kid. My parents got really mad.

TVLINE | Do you think Cameron has a shot at Melanie (played by Yustman)? What’s it going to take?
I think it’s going to take… a couple seasons! Cameron needs to explore his options a bit more, see what’s out there.

TVLINE | Which he does in the second episode, with no less than guest star Alyssa Milano (Charmed).
And he gets burned, so…. He definitely needs to meet more ladies.

TVLINE | Let’s size up his rival for Melanie’s affections: What exactly is “mega-douche” Dutch’s strength as a boyfriend?
Why is Melanie with Dutch (played by Smallville vet Michael Rosenbaum)? I think that underneath all that douchiness he’s actually got a big heart. We find that he does things for Melanie that make her want to stay with him. He’s a really douchey guy, but he is in love with her.

TVLINE | I have to say, I crack up every time I watch the scene where Dutch bellows, “Face!” at Cameron.
That’s the sort of scene where if we cut it all together, you’d have, like, a 10-minute short. I’m hoping that they’ll throw [outtakes] online, because we have a lot of these scenes where if they take off we’ll improv a lot.

Exclusive: Michael Rosenbaum Confirmed for Full-Time Breaking In Gig

TVLINE | Jennifer Irwin’s character is listed everywhere as “Creepy Carol” – but is Carol ever called that to her face?
Not that I recall. It’s definitely that kind of thing where everybody has a Creepy Carol in their office — and you call them that behind their back — but….

TVLINE | In the second episode, Oz comes off as rather all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful…. Will we ever pick up on a weakness?
Actually, in the episode we’re shooting now, he thinks we should do a team exercise. Cameron thinks it’ll be trust falls and whatever, but Oz locks us in the office for the weekend, and we have to break out. Cameron gets stuck in a heating duct, and Oz kind of freaks out because he needs Cameron’s hacking ability to get himself out of his own situation. It’s fun to see Christian Slater play the opposite of [the cool cucumber] he typically plays.

TVLINE | What’s your favorite Christian Slater movie? I’m gonna go with Broken Arrow.
You’d go Broken Arrow? Hmm…. Gleaming the Cube? [Laughs] I’ll say Gleaming the Cube, Heathers, and obviously True Romance.

TVLINE | Breaking In premieres not long after V wrapped its season. Is there a scenario where your science guy returns for Season 3?
If Breaking In gets picked up, I don’t see how that would be possible. A lot of things would have to happen for that to work out. I was surprised to not die in that finale! I was totally thinking, “This is my kill-off!”

Will you check out Breaking In tonight after Idol?

1. Sam says:

Bret Harrison has the on-screen presence of a piece of toast. I’m sorry, I liked Reaper, but he acts like a poor man’s Zachary Levi.

• Married dad of 3 little monsters says:

Most gals (and gay guys) think Brett is cute & funny. Or atleast that’s what my wife says. But I was surprised at how “RAPEY” and disrespectful some of the dialogue was within the first 5 minutes of the pilot episode…

CHRISTIAN SLATER: Do i look like your prom date? “NO” is not an option.

BRET HARRISON: That really does not look consensual.

ALPHONSO MCAULEY (BLACK NERD): Well, she’s over eighteen. So hmmm (he shrugs).

CHRISTIAN SLATER to his staff:
      Mayfair Motors. They specialize in ferraris, lamborghinis – your basic 4-wheel Italian panty droppers.

My wife noticed it, too. We were both like ‘Woah, WTF?!’ It made the show seem a bit disengenuine. Like they were trying so hard to be bad azz. Plus this doesn’t mesh well with the female fans. It’s like why watch a show that seems kinda rude to your own gender?

But Hispanic hottie Odette Yustman on the other hand (who’s supposed to be Nicaraguan-Cuban in real life), is a smart cookie and very beautiful. She’s the one that can break into any safe or building. So atleast the show has that going for itself.

2. Beebop says:

I might give it a shot ’cause Michael Rosenbaum is in it – I am not a fan of Christian Slater though – so it will depend on the chemistry – there hasn’t been a good show in a few years though so I am hoping!!!

3. Kev says:

I thought I was the only person that had ever watched Gleaming the Cube.

4. KDW says:

Gleaming the Cube!!! Awesome. He gets points for just dropping that film in as one of his favorites. I’m hoping this is the show that finally sticks for Christian Slater and I’m so glad Bret is back on my TV. I’ve missed him since Reaper went off the air.

5. DanielF23 says:

I believe Odette Yustman goes by Odette Annabale now. Or at least, she’s credited as such on the show.

6. Nicole says:

Definitely will be watching – there are so many great cast members. I was one of the few who loved Reaper too, so I’m excited for Bret Harrison. And Odette Yustman was really good in a similar-sounding (but much gorier) very funny spy comedy called Operation: Endgame last year.

7. XK says:

Looking forward to this, as I think it could be fun. Nice to see more Reaper vets showing up on tv too!

8. MissMel says:

I have been a huge fan of Christian Slater since I was 13 and I REALLY want him to have a hit show but, realistically,I can’t say I’m going to give up watching Criminal Minds at the end of the season to switch to a show that probably won’t last that long.

9. Hanoverfiste says:

What surprises me is that no one even notice the almost complete lift on “Sneakers” that this show is. Im not complaining Yet, as I rank thge film in my all time top 10 but I hope it can fins a audience and is not a complete train wreck.

• jason says:

Sneakers is definatly in my top 10 as well. The talent in that movie is legendary. I liked Breaking In’s pilot, so I’ll stick around, if only to have a Sneakers type TV series.

10. Renee says:

Huh. My comment didn’t post. Wonder why.

I will be checking this out because I like Christian Slater. And my favorite was Kuffs.

11. Sioda says:

I would have had higher hopes for it if they referenced “Sneakers” as inspiration. The way it looks, it seems that any similarity is purely coincidence (which would be bad – “Sneakers” was awesome). I’m sure the hacker community will be pretty vocal if it sucks. “Swordfish” is generally regarded as hilariously bad. Anyone know if they had a technical consultant on this and, if so, who it is? They could probably pick up one of the speakers at the Defcon or Black Hat conferences.

12. D. Marie says:

I had no intention of watching the show. Caught it on Hulu just to prove to myself that it wasn’t worth it, and absolutely LOVED it. I am a fan.

13. Kevin says:

I really liked this show. It was charming. LOVE Bret! I think he’s a good little actor- He was great in Reaper, and now he seems a little more grown up. Not a huge fan of Christian Slater but this character fits him well. Would love it if they went away from the “will they won’t they” TIRED storyline. Just make them friends. It would be less cliche.

14. Sydney says:

Watched this show for the first time tonight ONLY because of Trevor Moore and actually really liked the entire cast and plotline. I was pleasantly surprised at how much, of course that could be helped by the epicness of lines like “What up my muggle?” My only complaints are that as Kevin says above me the “will they, won’t they” IS a tired storyline, I don’t think they will change that, people like it too much. My only other complaint is that there is not enough Trevor Moore, his character is the only “main” one (except for Dutch and I don’t really think he counts) who does not have a photo introduction in the beginning and in several episodes you barely even see him. He is a brilliant actor and comedian and I’d love for him to have a bigger part, but….oh well.

Anyway, I liked it and sorry for my rant! XD