Exclusive

The Office Exclusive: Ray Romano, James Spader, Catherine Tate in Running For Top Job

With Steve Carell’s Office exit set to air in a matter of weeks (April 28 to be exact), you’d think the pool of possible Michael Scott successors would be narrowing.

Think again.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that three additional names have been added to the short long list of potential replacements: Ray Romano, James Spader and British funny lady Catherine Tate!

Ask Ausiello: Major Spoilers on Glee, Bones, House, Castle, HIMYM and More!

Although an NBC rep declined to comment, an insider confirms that the trio will appear in The Office‘s hour-long May 19 season finale as candidates for the vacant office manager position. They join previously announced finale guest stars (and wannabe Dunder Mifflin honchos) Will Arnett and Ricky Gervais.

Of the five finalists, only two stand a realistic chance of taking over the gig full-time: Spader and Tate. Romano’s committed to Men of a Certain Age, Arnett just booked an NBC pilot, and Gervais has been there done that. Will Ferrell, meanwhile, wraps up his arc in mid-May, and — despite buzz to the contrary — is not expected back next season.

Grey’s Anatomy Exclusive: Look Who’s Back For Final Two Episodes!

Personally, I hope they give it to Tate. The woman is a comedic genius with a proven track record in office settings. The following clip from The Catherine Tate Show is proof of that.

Loading video...

Thoughts? Do you agree that Tate is the most viable and best option from the list of names above? Hit the comments!

1. redsguy1869 says:

There can be only one. Gervais.

2. Lauren says:

I would LOVE Catherine on the office and Doctor Who is my favorite show and I loved her there.

3. serenitylee says:

Aaaah! Catherine Tate! That would be so cool! I love the DoctorDonna! I would definitely watch the office again if she were on it. That’s so exciting!

4. Carol Luber says:

Would love to see James Spader get the role!

5. Joe says:

Ricky Gervais would be my pick if I could pick. You have to have a funny boss on The Office. Most of the material would die if a serious boss was hired.

6. lucy says:

Mark Wahlberg would the best boss!!

7. Drew says:

James Spader please!!!!!!

8. Jokeshop says:

It would be a disaster if Tate got this. Completely unfunny and barely talented, the only job Tate should get is as cannon fodder in Afghanistan. If you Americns wnat this useless retard, have her.

9. John says:

that was the worst piece of comedy acting i’ve ever seen….Tate would 100% ruin The Office…Arnet and Gervais are the only realistic options for this show…but no matter what without Steve Carrell the show will be ruined

10. ellen says:

catherine tate may be the only one who can keep things going on the office!shes great. i loved her on dr. who, the show just wasnt the same with her gone.she could even keep dwight from going postal!

11. Mechtelde says:

If these posters have never seen The Office but now they want Catherine Tate, that should let the studio know that their votes don’t count. If you haven’t watched the office (because you didn’t appreciate the humor), then we don’t want you!

Will Farrell, please. James Spader could do it. Jim Carrey. Wanda Sykes. Segourney Weaver…she was so bad in Working Girl. Jan? Kathy Bates? That guy who’s dating the present receptionist? I love him. He’s so terrible.

12. mechtelde says:

What was I thinking? How about the temp? I forget everybody’s names. You know, the one who “started the fire.” My God, he’s so bad, he’s like a dark Michael Scott.

13. Stephanie says:

I don’t believe any of those people would work. Though Tate is funny but I don’t see her fitting in with The Office. They gave us a little hope when they put Ricky Geravis on. They proved that, yeah, we would still have Michael Scott’s funny personality (which is what made the show).

14. chris says:

Tate is terrible. Only way it would be bearable if she was in it, if Dwight and Jim teamed up to torment the hell out of her.

15. James says:

I think the only good options r Will Ferrell, possibly (only barely) Ray Romano, or a current office worker like Jim, Darrell, or Andy my favorite would cleary be Will but I just don’t see him committing to it I mean they are replacing Steve Carell it has to b someone special I’m not a big fan of Arnett or Gervais (I’d probly stop watching my favorite show if Ricky got it) and I’m not crazy about the idea of a woman boss it’ll be hard replacing such a perfect boss like Michael Scott but I hope NBC can do it without ruining the greatest show on tv work ur hardest to convince Will Ferrell to take the part NBC!! PLEASE!!

16. Kath says:

My front runner choice is Ricky Gervais. He was absolutely brilliant as David Brent in the UK original and I think he could breathe life back into the US version, even if he was around for part of a season while a more permanent replacement is found. I’d doubt that Gervais would want to go back to a weekly sitcom routine however.

17. kubie says:

I’ve never seen Catherine Tate, but looking at the other two names, I’d vote for her.

Spade never plays any roles with excitement or spirit, its more smug casual wit.

Romano, really? Every role he plays is sounds the same.

18. James says:

I didn’t even think of Jim Carrey! That would b perfect! He’s been my favorite actor forever but he’s getting out of his prime and his movies r suffering (except Yes Man that was awesome) but The Office would b the perfect place for him!

19. Ger says:

Would love Catherine Tate, but you really could have picked a better sketch than that. Of all her sketches that was one of my least preferred

20. imrnlil says:

Zach Galifinakis.

21. Alesia says:

If ray ramano was on the show I would never watch it again!! I think Will Farell would be the best Michael Scott replacement. Steve c was the show! With out a querky, insane boss like him the show wouldnt be the same or worth watching. Farell would make it so funny. Thats mearly my opinion. I love the office & regardless who they put in, with out steve c the show will never be the same!

22. Catherine says:

Catherine Tate please!!!!! I loved her as Donna, I think she’s hilarious!!

23. Anthony says:

Catherine Tate would be AMAZING in The Office. I was so worried that I would lose the love I had for the Office when Steve Carell left, but I think that Tate would amply fill the void left by Carell. I agree that she should be the one to replace him!

24. victor says:

i thought it was already announced that it would be Will ferrell..
    we want will ferrell!
    I mean come on!
    It’s will ferrell :D

25. Ben says:

OH MY GOODNESS CATHERINE TATE ALL THE WAY

26. Covey says:

I hope like hell it’s not that lady..I’ve never heard of her, and absolutely hated the clip I just watched. I’d much rather Spader..and I don’t even like him that much.

27. LL says:

JAMES SPADER = BRILLIANT!!! PULLLLEAASEEEE JAMES SPADER C’MON!

28. Zak says:

Catherine Tate would be PERFECT, especially if she played the character like Donna (best companion ever). Ray Romano’s humor isn’t right for The Office…they need a good Brit.

29. Nicole says:

Damn! My naiveté gets me again! I was actually hoping (and subsequently excited) that Will Ferrell would take over. Oh well… one can always hope for a miracle. Some of the replacements are good, but not “great”… Please, Will Ferrell, rescue The Office!, please, oh please!!

30. Sea says:

Ive watched every single season of the office and I think Will Arnett would make an amazing contribution. Has anyone seen arrested development?! He is hilarious!

31. Justin says:

Ray Ramono is a dud ill stop watching if he gets a part. Everybody loves Raymond was a terrible show, mainly because he can’t act. What r they thinking he is terrible

32. Lily says:

The Office has gotten increasingly worse over the last couple of seasons- Ricky Gervais is the only person who might be able to save it!!!!

33. jason says:

im sorry to say, but all these options for the successors of michael scott are an insult to steve carell. i know who ray ramono is…who are the other two? diffintely not funny people. i would stop watching the show (and i’ve seen all of them) if anyone of these people took michael scotts place. it would be like toby flenderson taking over his position = horrible

34. Jeanne says:

Tate would be PERFECT! I would love to see her in this show. The woman is a mega talent!!

35. Andy M says:

I have never heard of her but if that youtube clip in the article is any indication of her comedic talents and she gets the role, I believe my days of watching “The Office” are over. If it wasn’t for the laugh track, I’d have no idea what was supposed to be funny. Less than excellent.

I’d actually prefer that Dwight gets the Manager job and drives everyone crazy. We already know what we get with Rainn Wilson.

36. facundo says:

James Spader, all Argentina is waiting for James Spader, he is fantastic, he is so funny, he is a genious, not that there´s anything wrong with Catherine Tate, but James Spader is just amazing, he could even do it better tha Steve Carrell.

PLEASE GOD, GIVE ME A JAMES SPADER BOSS OF DUNDER MIFFLIN!!!!!!!!!!

37. Kdub says:

Do not think a women at the helm of the office would be a good idea. Don’t like Tate at all. Don’t really like any of the finalists. If I had to pick, I think Ramano would be a decent choice. My personal favorite has already been commented on.. Zack Galifinakis, he would be a great fit. James Spader is the furthest thing from funny I can think of.

38. ava says:

Arnett is the only candidate that sounds good, the rest sound terrible.

39. Carmen says:

Catherine Tate all the way!!! She is hilarious!!

40. Bella says:

IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT’S GOOD AND HOLY, NOT RAY ROMANO! I do not think he is remotely funny, or even that good of an actor. Whomever they finally settle on as Carell’s replacement should be able to bring not only humor, but life, joy, and a healthy antagonism between likability and awkwardness. Ray Romano, IMHO, could not pull any of that off. Period.

41. reallyreally says:

catherine tate? are you kidding me? the woman has about as much comedic talent as david walliams (see: just act camp/moronic), they are useless compared to Carell.

42. Sara says:

WILL ARNETT is a genius, very versitile. He would be wonderful!!! Will Ferrell is always the same character, he doesn’t fit the role. Ray Romano is very whiney. Casting a women like Catherine is just obvious, she’s clearly the backup plan and now needs to be worked in some how. I am an Office faithful but am skeptical that they will make the right choice.

43. jules says:

I don’t know Catherine Tate and I don’t think James Spader would be right at all.

Let’s add GARY COLE to the list! Every office needs a little Lumbergh!

44. Signe says:

I’ll start watching The Office again if Catherine Tate is the new boss…

45. Dreama says:

They would be crazy not to cast Catherine Tate! She’s such a great actress. I think the only problem might be if she didn’t want to move to the U.S.
    I don’t even watch the Office, but I would reconsider if she was on the show :)

46. EmmaSush says:

Yes! I love Catherine Tate soooo much! It seems pretty much unanimous that she’s the best for the job. I can just imagine her interacting with the other actors and it’s perfect.

47. Rob says:

If Catherine Tate joins the cast, I’ll have to stop watching. Love The Office (US) but can’t stand the Catherine Tate show!! Will be gutted if this happens!!

48. James Digging says:

Zach Galifianakis , i second that …but wow to james spader acting class on the office! emotion/energy and the office crew (ed helms apart) could and should learn from him,
    speaking as an english guy, catherine tate isn`t all that, catchphrase comedian from 4 years ago, now taking bit parts in kids tv (DR WHO) would be better with the guy who played the deadman in weekend at bernies then her! nice hair tho!

49. Hello everybody, I be familiar with YouTube movie includes fewer bytes of memory deserving to that its quality namely fearful besides this YouTube movie has enormous picture features.