Exclusive

How I Met Your Mother Scoop: Season Finale's Wedding Reveal Will Launch a New Mystery

If you’re hoping How I Met Your Mother‘s sixth season finale will completely resolve the year-long Future Wedding mystery, I have news: It won’t.

But don’t un-Save The Date just yet. There’s a very cool twist in the works, one that will continue to unravel well into Season 7 — and maybe beyond.

A CBS insider tells TVLine that while the Monday sitcom will flash forward to identify the bride and groom at the close of the May 16 season finale, that reveal is merely a piece of a much larger story that will unspool in the present.

How I Met Your Mother Mystery Deepens: Is Robin Marrying a Cylon?

“The wedding takes place ‘a little ways down the road’ — an unidentified, unspecified amount of time away,” HIMYM executive producer Carter Bays tells TVLine, echoing the onscreen subtitles that have appeared with each of this season’s glimpses at the future. “We will be jumping forward for the last scene of the finale, but then we’ll return to the present day when we start Season 7.”

Adds Bay, “The idea is that we’re going to keep revealing little details about this wedding day as we build toward [it] within the chronological story of the show.” And though clues will be dropped throughout Season 7, the ceremony itself won’t necessarily arrive before that finale, either.

CBS Renews How I Met Your Mother, But There’s a Twist

In other words, the mystery of the show’s titular mother — whom we know Ted meets at the aforementioned wedding — will itself be couched in the mystery of how that wedding comes to be, given the likely surprising identity of who it is trading vows.

How I Met Your Mother‘s recent two-year renewal gives Bay’s team more flexibility to flesh out the original mother mystery with this wedding wrinkle.

“We always knew how the series was going to end, but this is a new element that we came up with this year,” the show runner explains. “It adds a new dimension where you’re not just asking, ‘Who is this woman that Ted’s going to meet, and how does he meet her?’ There are now other questions.” Namely, who’s getting married? And once that is revealed in next month’s season-ender, how will that couple get to the altar?

That answer to that second mystery, says Bays, “will be slowly unveiled over the course of the series.”

How do you feel about this wedded twist? Who do you now think will be revealed as the bride and groom at the close of the upcoming Season 6 finale?

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Exclusive, Finales, Interviews, News, Premieres, Previews, Scoop, Spoilers

1. kool.boosi says:

barney-robin or barney-nora or punchy weding. I thnk its zoey weding with captian may be bcz ted says zoey and him didnt end well. And why the hell ted nervous abt the marriage and why marshal was the one to decide the place of marriage. It better be robin and barney otherwise i am gonna cbs for waisting our whole year.

2. Julie says:

I think it’s Barney and Nora. Nora gets pregnant with Barney’s baby {we know Barney likes babies} and he wants to be there for his child so they get married. Just a thought.

3. Isabel says:

It kinda has to be Barney and Noras wedding…but that doesn’t mean that Barney has to go through with it. It has been said that Robin plays a part in how Ted meets the mother and Robin introduced Nora to Barney…so it is one of Noras friends that Ted meets there. Ted may be the best man and seems troubled, possibly because Barney is getting married before him or Ted know something that will ultimately cause the wedding not to go through(like robin or barneys true feelings for each other). Im sure season 7 will have Barneys half sister be the Teds love interest, violate bro code and throw everyone off as the mother. But, Im pretty sure it will be a quick camo of one of Noras friends that we overlook because we are focused on meeting Barneys half sister.

4. MT says:

What if it’s a double wedding? We see Barney saying I do in a close up shot, then Robin saying I do in a close up shot, and then when everyone is thinking both of them are married, they show the whole scene and we have 2 couples. Barney and Nora, Robin and Don. That would be the biggest shock of all. And they can explain how the hell that turned out to be throughout the next season. It’ll be a big enoguh story to drag on to the next season. Plus, always thought if Barney;s dad has another daughter she could meet Ted at Barney’s wedding and could become the Mother. And now we know that Barney does have a Step- Sister. This theory might be far-fetched, but it could be the sort of thing HIMYM writers would pull out.

5. Steve says:

Since both Ted and Marshall are wearing Tux’s and Lily asks if the best man is ready, maybe Ted has a first wedding where he marries Victoria, who should be back from her 2 years abroad…just one thought. I loved Victoria so I am hoping something like it bring punchy’s wedding (they don’t show Barney or robin because they weren’t invited) and he hired buttercup bakery to do the wedding and meets Victoria again.

Obviously I have no idea, but as a side note…if Ted doesn’t get married soon the age of his kids will not make sense…

6. Jonathan says:

Here is my theory on how the wedding play out. There are two scenarios, one is realistic and another is a wild idea.

After thinking for a long time about every scenario here is what I have come up with.

And some reasons yo dismiss some rumors: If it’s were Punchy’s wedding, it wouldn’t make sense to build up a wedding for a character we’ve only seen once in (this) season. And, Marshall is obviously in the wedding party because he is wearing a match tux as Ted, which means he is either co-best man or a groomsman of the wedding, which kinda confirms that it’s Barney’s wedding. AND, I can’t see Barney and Robin ending up together because in the wedding, when Lily comes to get Ted and Marshall, it doesn’t (seem) like Lily is a bridesmaid, or maid on honor… which can’t be possible if it were Robin because Lily and Robin are best friends, which makes it most likely that it’s Barney/Nora’s wedding…

Scenario: Barney’s Dad mentioned that he has a daughter, future Ted already revealed that he met his wife at Columbia, it could be possible for them to meet… at Barney’s wedding. If Barney makes up with his Dad (and family) when he gets married, he will obviously invite them to his wedding, where Ted is the best man for Barney, and Ted and Barney’s sister meet, and well you know the rest…

7. Karla says:

Okay I am going to stop all questions right now on who is marrying who with this one statement. In “The Rough Patch”, 7th episode of season 5, Barney and Robin break up. At the end of the episode Future Ted says, and I quote, “It turns out that they really did just need to let things run their course…” right after they were talking about getting hitched if they reached 39 and neither of them had. Barney…and…Robin…Swarkles.

8. HIMYMFan says:

I’m thinking it’s Zoey’s wedding. Barney and Robin would be too obvious, but Punchy’s wedding would be too boring. Anyone else with me?

9. Msrk says:

It’s Barney & Robin cos there meant for each other. Offcourse Barney will invite his sister to the wedding, where Ted will meet her for the first time. Boom Ted & Barney sister all part of the bro code. Love this show it’s legendary!

10. Pukipsi says:

there’s something coming to my mind right now….do you remember the episode of st. pattys day? ted mentiones that the mother was at that party, too…
    when barney and ted arrive at the party they get drinks and when ted turns around he’s running into a woman.. it’s quiet unobtrusive but why should that happen if she has no special role…watch that episode again! she could be the mother…

• vball23 says:

Yes, that’s the one I mentioned earlier but couldn’t remember which episode. The way they paused on this happening instantly made me think this was his future bride. But, then again, the writers could be messing with the audience and throwing a red herring out there.

11. Pedro André says:

I think it’s Zoey wedding. It’s the only person now in the series that I think it’s getting married. Probably she and Ted will broke up, and later he will be invited to the wedding.

12. Norney says:

It’s Nora and Barney of course!! She returns in the season finale so it’s gotta be her! And I just looove them together, they’re sooo awesomeeeee!!!!

Barney and Robin? Really? They’re a little cute together, yeah, but Robin is better with Don or.. I don’t know! But Barney + Nora = Awesome. But I already said that.

NORNEY!!

13. eccik says:

Can you guys please watch again the episode where Ted met lesbian couple at the mclaren?
    Please pay attention to Cindy’s gf. She’s reading a book in a bar,yes. And get a closer look, she’s reading a book about a marriage,right?
    or it was just me.. hmm

14. Jessica Gress says:

Robin and Barney. Who is freaked out hoping for that to be the couple at the Altar?

15. Tamara says:

So Ted says he met his wife when he was best man at a wedding. That doesn’t mean that the bride and groom whose wedding Ted is part of necessarily gets married, does it? What if Ted is the groom at the wedding he was originally supposed to be best man at? The bride was supposed to marry someone else but had a change of heart. That would be a crazy twist, as promised. Even crazier if he was marrying Robin.

16. vball23 says:

The encounter I was thinking of was season 3 episode 12, the one with the green suit. As Ted is walking through the bar, he bumps into a girl and apologizes and they pause on it for an unusual amount of time. This is either coy foreshadowing, or a red herring.

17. Autumn says:

I still think it’s Punchy’s wedding. Punchy has met Ted’s friends a number of times so it makes sense that they would go to his wedding and to see Ted as the best man. I don’t think it matters that Marshell is also in a tux, he’s at a wedding, he’s going to dress nice. My thought is that Punchy is marrying Ted’s future wife, that is how Ted meets her and then they don’t end up getting married.

18. teddywestside says:

it’s Steve(the blitz) and someone else! ha jk idk, but i really don’t know if barney and robin are gonna be it. after “the rough patch” episode aired in season 5, i just cant see those two working together in the long haul, plus, it doesnt seem like it would be that big of a suprise, to me anyway…but who knows? all i know is that i love himym and hope ted doesnt meet the mother of his children for a very long time(:

19. PK says:

i think its barney’s and Nora’s wedding….barney loves her #truestory

20. *star* says:

Sadly enough, I think it’s Barney and Nora too. I’m agreeing with a lot that mattlock said, Nora probably has to go back because her visa expires or something. So Barney agrees to marry her. The episode is called ‘challenge accepted’, so it does sound like something Barney would do to prove his friends wrong or to prove that he can get married before Ted, or something. And on IMDb it says Nora will be in the final episode… I sure hope it’s not a real marriage, I’d hate for Barney to change.

21. jx says:

Best TV ever, must never end!

Greetings from Germany!

22. jx says:

Best tv show ever, it must never end!

Greetings from germany!

23. Matt says:

Just an update on this

It has been confirmed that it is barneys wedding, he will be marrying the British woman we saw early in the season and ted is is best man.

24. Emily says:

Since when did we know Robin would end up marrying Don? I I don’t recall hearing that.

25. siob says:

I think it’ll be Robin and her crush from ‘hopeless’ … it was hinted at that her and him would meet again in the future,
    also Robin asked Ted to be her best man earlier this season…
    That would explain why its such a big deal and why they are all there… and maybe the ‘mother’ is a friend of this mystery guy

could possibly be Barney and Nora though… who knows!

26. vball23 says:

I think the wedding is Barney’s brother and his baby Daddy. :-)

27. A-Bomb says:

I am almost certain the wedding is definitely Barney and Nora. Ted is supposed to met the Mother at a wedding. So far, Punchy and Robin have asked Ted to be a best man at their respective weddings. I think it goes without saying that Ted is Barney’s best friend and that if Barney were to get married, Ted would be his best man. Although there are some other speculations about the wedding such as James Stinson and his husband, Marshall’s mom, Ted’s dad, etc. I don’ t think that Ted and marshal would be both be groomsmen in any of those cases. Also, Ted is friends with Punchy, however, the rest of his friends don’t seem to really care for Punchy, and I’m sure Ted AND Marshall would not be co-best men in that situation. So, the wedding comes down to Barney’s wedding to someone other than Robin, Robin’s wedding to someone other than Barney, or Robin’s wedding to Barney. When Ted gets left at the altar by Stella Zinman, he learns and continuously tells the moral of the story – Never invite an ex to your wedding. This means that since Ted invited Robin to his first wedding (didn’t get married), and it fell apart. Unless she was stupid and forgot all about that, Robin would not want the same thing to happen to her. However, if it was Barney and Robin getting married, I think Ted would have to be there for Barney regardless of the whole “never invite an ex to your wedding” thing. However, after “the rough patch” episode, it seems unrealistic that these two would ever last in wedlock. Maybe one more fling, but thats about it. Then it comes down to Barney’s wedding to someone else. Namely, its Nora. Barney’s heart was definitely talking to him when it skipped a beat at the sight of her; when he wasn’t actually lying about wanting to settle down; when he went out with her on valentines day and played laser tag; when he was willing to meet Nora’s parents. Also, “Challenge Accepted”. Its obvious.

28. alowis says:

i think its stella n tony… why? why not have someone hardly mentioned, ted said if it wernt 4 meeten stella hell neva hav met his wife.

29. burty says:

The while “aunt/uncle” reference us just that…friends that have been around since births if kids, people always say its your aunt or your uncle so and so. Aa far as who is getting married, its only the story behind the important thing…who Ted’s wife really is?? I mean I like the story if someone getting married but I want to know who he us married to already! HIMYM has been a great show and they should keep it going as ling as a soap opera does

30. eddie says:

A short scene during the first and last episodes of the season features a wedding set sometime in the future. Future Ted reveals that the wedding, where Barney is the groom, is also the same one where he will meet his future wife.

31. Libby says:

My thots, albeit late:
    the wedding is either barney’s or of someone important to Barney. I hope its barney and nora. I dont dig barney+robin.

32. amy says:

I hope its barney and robin who are getting married, i love them together, way better than ted and robin although that would have been great too..but throughout the narrations ted refers to robin as “aunt robin” to his children so yeah barney is the groom for sure. nora or robin but since robin is really close to everybodys heart she should settle down with barney, if its the last season then they should end it that way…:)))

33. mda_111@hot says:

well, i think its barny and Nora… as an explanation to that, we remember when robin met her secret crush at a club and then tedd lied about him marrying her… her secret crush then passed by and said *she got engaged so thats the end of that* and that wasnt the end of that…

34. zactrav says:

my theory is that the mother is not someone weve met or else people would have found evidence where some periferal character was played by a bigger name star that also happens to be in future episodes
    the mother will also not be someone invited to the wedding but a hired person (cake baker, wedding band ect)and when we see her we wont realize we see her. either ted wont realize its the mother when he sees her the first time or she will be in a crowd. my thought is he will show a picture of a group of bridesmaids or women trying to catch the bouguet so we technically see her but we dont know which one.
    as for who is getting married there are too many options open so im just speculating:
    barney is getting married, but not to robin, thus causing robin to feel bad and possibly barney missing robin. lily was not in a bridesmaids dress so it cant be her best friend ever robin. more than likely the wedding will not last long or maybe not go through but instead it will act as a jumping off point for a barney robin hook up which will let their on again off again relationship last through new seasons without an actuall commitment. LAWYERED

35. Nathan says:

I really like the idea of the wedding being Marshall’s mother and Ted’s father. It would make sense why Ted was the best man and Marshall a groomsman.

I think it also makes sense that it’s Robin’s wedding. She asked Ted to be her best man, Lilly was in a bridesmaid type dress and Marshall in matching suit too.

To the lot of people saying stuff about the wedding being in the future and Punchy. I think it’s worth noting that the series had not been renewed at the beginning of the season so it is entirely plausible that the writers wrote that in to give themselves an out in case the unlikely cancellation of the series. Once renewed they just go with their initial “future” wedding. And of course they’ll leave Barney and Robin out for speculation. I think it could be Barney and Ted’s sister, who met in season four. Unlikely but someone else to make him “Uncle Barney”.

I know all signs point to it not being her, but I wouldn’t be doing right if I didn’t say I desperately want the mother to be Victoria.

36. Sup :) says:

Okay, my theory is that Barney marries Robin.

Firstly, when Barney asks Ted “Is this the right tie”, the striped tie in his hand was the tie that he wore on the first date with Nora.

The tie he was currently wearing was a metaphor for Robin. :) Hope it helps !!

37. berkay says:

okay look i think i have it figured out i think its Barney and Nora because when lily said ‘best man your being summoned’ i thought to my self i forgot which episode it was but robin said ‘if i do get married some day i want you to be my man of honour’ so if you dont understand where im getting at ted= man of honour in robins wedding not best man

38. Samlikesspam says:

after watching The Rebound Girl i think it might be Robin and Barney b/c of the news Robin gave to him !!!! also in the pass when they were dating they were soulmate but it didn’t work out but one of the other castmate( and i dont remember who ) said just give it time !!!

39. How I Met Your Mother Freak says:

Wow, you people are really dumb. Barney and Nora broke up. Now that barney is part Canadian he marries robin. Think about it. They both hate the commitment thing. And he knocks her up. And she’s pregnant in real life anyway! So there you go! Stop guessing because it’s out .

HIMYMF

SWARLEY and SPARKLES FOREVER !!!

40. Harley says:

Everyone is saying how they want it to be Swarkle but that would be too obvious. Maybe that’s the point. Having all of us try to think of other possibilities because there is no way it could be the obvious one. But maybe it actually is.