Exclusive

How I Met Your Mother Scoop: Season Finale's Wedding Reveal Will Launch a New Mystery

If you’re hoping How I Met Your Mother‘s sixth season finale will completely resolve the year-long Future Wedding mystery, I have news: It won’t.

But don’t un-Save The Date just yet. There’s a very cool twist in the works, one that will continue to unravel well into Season 7 — and maybe beyond.

A CBS insider tells TVLine that while the Monday sitcom will flash forward to identify the bride and groom at the close of the May 16 season finale, that reveal is merely a piece of a much larger story that will unspool in the present.

How I Met Your Mother Mystery Deepens: Is Robin Marrying a Cylon?

“The wedding takes place ‘a little ways down the road’ — an unidentified, unspecified amount of time away,” HIMYM executive producer Carter Bays tells TVLine, echoing the onscreen subtitles that have appeared with each of this season’s glimpses at the future. “We will be jumping forward for the last scene of the finale, but then we’ll return to the present day when we start Season 7.”

Adds Bay, “The idea is that we’re going to keep revealing little details about this wedding day as we build toward [it] within the chronological story of the show.” And though clues will be dropped throughout Season 7, the ceremony itself won’t necessarily arrive before that finale, either.

CBS Renews How I Met Your Mother, But There’s a Twist

In other words, the mystery of the show’s titular mother — whom we know Ted meets at the aforementioned wedding — will itself be couched in the mystery of how that wedding comes to be, given the likely surprising identity of who it is trading vows.

How I Met Your Mother‘s recent two-year renewal gives Bay’s team more flexibility to flesh out the original mother mystery with this wedding wrinkle.

“We always knew how the series was going to end, but this is a new element that we came up with this year,” the show runner explains. “It adds a new dimension where you’re not just asking, ‘Who is this woman that Ted’s going to meet, and how does he meet her?’ There are now other questions.” Namely, who’s getting married? And once that is revealed in next month’s season-ender, how will that couple get to the altar?

That answer to that second mystery, says Bays, “will be slowly unveiled over the course of the series.”

How do you feel about this wedded twist? Who do you now think will be revealed as the bride and groom at the close of the upcoming Season 6 finale?

1. rick says:

I agree — Robin and Barney. But I think the reason for the drag out is that the Mother will be revealed down the road as Barney’s step-sister — John Lithgow’s daughter mentioned but not shown in the most recent episode. Would also be a cool twist in why he always refers to Aunt Robin and Uncle Barney in the voiveovers

2. Eleni says:

I think it’s Robin and Don’s wedding. They made such a big deal about Don, no WAY are Robin and him done. They’ll find their way back to eachother. :D

3. Legento says:

It may also be the wedding of the lesbian couple, one of who was the house mate of the future mother. In the last episodes, there were several notes on how Ted and Barney would work out as a couple. I have not erased Barney as a candidate for the mother position. They may be a gay couple with two adopted children.

4. mags says:

she could be the date of somebody else though…

5. JORDAN HOWCROFT says:

I hope its not Barney the show hasn’t been as funny when hes been doing the emotional stuff. I know it’s good character development but sometimes i miss the old Barney.

6. Ed says:

They ruined my favorite show. Not possible I thought. Not when it includes writers from “Friends”, right??? Well, this is like when “Friends” got an extension and did not know whether they were going to get that during the preceding season. So, they tried to both write for a possible end and a possible extension and never recovered from the crappy writing until the last season. I’m over it. They lost a fan that really needed to laugh. I stll wish good luck.

7. Sarah22 says:

I think it could be Barney and Nora’s wedding

8. Kyle says:

Barney and Zoey

9. Leanne says:

It is definitely Barney-but not with Robin.
    There was an episode in the season they dated, I forget which one, that said they don’t end up together. It was around the beginning of their relationship if anyone wants to watch a few episodes to figure it out!

10. Karl Ingram says:

I reckon its Barney marrying someone else not robin because in one episode where Marshall and Ted are sat on the bench talking, both lily and robin come out to say “Come on, the groom needs you” hence why Barney is not marrying robin :D lol

• lauren says:

I just watched that episode. Actually only Lily comes out. Robin isn’t shown in the the future wedding part.

11. Chicken Little says:

I think Robin & Don. Robin & Barney is too obvious and has been done again in the episode where Barney & Ted thought they were in love with Robyn again. Robin & Don less obvious and has been building from a long while back.

12. Michelle M says:

I think it is Robin and Don… 2 years ago they made reference to Robin and Don getting married in the future when Don up and left for another job.

• Chris says:

Future Ted told the kids that Robin and Don started dating 3 months after she told everyone in Last Cigarette Ever she didn’t like him. There was never any mention of him being referred to as ‘Uncle Don’ nor of he and Robin ever getting married.

13. Chuck says:

It’s going to be Wayne Brady’s (Barney’s Brother) gay wedding and Ted is the ‘brides’ best man.

Lawyered!

14. Dani says:

I think its Ted’s gf that went lesbo. And he will meet the girl who’s ankles he fell in love with (lesbo’s roomate). Duhhhh!

• Karl Ingram says:

Why would Ted be the best man and why would Marshall have anything to do with it???

• Legento says:

she had asked Ted to be her bestman, and in that episode, they had shown a shot of the wedding and the future of the les couple with a child.

• Karl Ingram says:

what episode is this, I may have to re watch it aha

• Legento says:

601, but I checked and she did not ask him to be her best-man. Still the wedding scene is there, and this season started with that wedding scene, with Cindy and her hot lover. The season may end up with the same thing.

15. Diana says:

“And that was the day she met Don”.

While I think Robin and Barney are great together (and the chemistry is good), I think there was meant to be more to the Don story than the way it left off. Kind of like how I keep thinking Victoria (buttercup bakery girl) was a great fit for Ted. And, technically they did meet at a wedding… which would be clever since we have an unreliable narrator. Hmmm… :)

• Karl Ingram says:

Maybe the Victoria and Ted meet again at this wedding lol ;) unlikely though but could be possible :P

16. Puablo says:

I’ve theorized for a while that it is Robin’s wedding. I doubt the groom is Barney, or potentially even someone we know, like Don. But they really have to get this whole meeting the mother thing moving along here, so if it’s the lesbian roommate, then so be it. I’d love it if the final scene of the season was him staring at some girl and proclaiming it was the mother, but I doubt we’ll be so lucky.

17. Randy says:

In the future wedding scenes that we have seen , robin is seem calling ted and marshall in because it was raining. She was wearing a pink dress… Something tells me she was a brides maid. I think its Barney and Nora.Or people we havent met yet.

18. Jill says:

If you remember in season 5, when Robin starts dating her co-anchor, Voice Over Ted says that she ends up getting married to him. So, I say it that wedding. Not Robin and Barney.

19. CMK says:

I think it’s going to be Robin, as she asked Ted to be her best man in a previous episode. I don’t think it will be to Barney though. I can’t see him having another proper relationship until the end of the show altogether. His character works much better as a singpe person hooking up with randoms.

20. drigruan says:

I’m sooo going to capture Carter and Bays and make them spill the beans!

21. Daniel says:

Has it actually been said that Ted is the best man? What if he’s the groom… And Marshall was the best man
    In the s6 opener lily says the best man is being called for the speech and they both look at each other
    And why would Ted be so nervous about this speech (ripping beer labels when nervous) when he was marshalls best man n did the the speech fine… It could be teds marriage with zoey?
    Just a thought

• Karl Ingram says:

It could be Punchies wedding but the reason as to why Ted might be nervous is that Ted had slept with the bride a few days ago maybe, just another idea :D

22. drigruan says:

Btw it’s Barney and Nora.

23. Amanda says:

Its totally going to be Nora and Barney as Robin set Barney the challenge (last episode called challenge accepted) of getting with Nora and getting married and just generally growing up…. Thoughts? :P

24. Natalie says:

i thin its Zoe’s wedding.

25. Kelley says:

I’m not sure about any of it, but what I am sure of is it’s gettin’ drawed out WAY too long. I love this show but I just feel like it’s time to get to Ted meeting his wife and then go from there.

26. anna says:

I think barney and robin is too obvious..I don’t know all of the clues but is it possible that it could be lily or marshal meaning that they get a divorce which would be more of a surprise?

27. hicksta says:

the season finale is called “challenge accepted” so i think it is defenitly barney ,maybe someone challenged him to settle down? Just a thought

28. Amanda says:

Also just to point out to all those saying teds not the best man:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_I_Met_Your_Mother#Season_Six which says:
    ‘Ted sees Cindy again with a girl who he thinks to be her roommate, but she turns out to be Cindy’s girlfriend whom she later marries. It is revealed Ted first meets his future wife while acting as best man at a wedding (during which he is caught outside in the rain without an umbrella).’ sorry to put an end to your conspiracy!

29. Jeremy says:

Guys, I don’t think it’s that big of a deal, I’m pretty sure it was earlier this season that Ted’s buddy “Punchy” came to town, and after an awkward few days, “Punchy” reveals the true reason why he came to NY, (to be there for his ‘forlorn’ friend, Ted) and to invite him to be his best man.

30. Leor says:

Barney and Robin? really? no. too obvious.
    I think it’ll be punchy or barney and nora. i agree with Alejandro’s comment!

31. jaman says:

I am pretty sure that it is punchies wedding and ted is the best man and that’s where he finally meet his wife

32. CJ says:

I hope this show ties up more loose ends than Lost.

33. Genova322 says:

I think Barney marries Norah . Ted meets barneys sister There and then they marry and “uncle Barney” is really uncle Barney.

34. Krista says:

I think it will be Robin & the journalist that she is mooning over, her former co-anchor that left. He will come back and tell her he realizes that he cannot live without her, and ta-da – wedding!

35. Rich says:

I firmly believe it’s Barney…and not to Robin. Ted look’s rather sad when the go to the flashforward of him and Marshall sitting outside of the wedding. He could be Mosbying himself and wondering how Barney could be getting married before him. I do believe that it will be Barney getting married to Nora. The past couple of episodes have really showed a change in the Barnacle’s character. He really did like her and I think he regrets not going in and telling her how he felt. I think meeting his dad finally made him realize that he wants to settle down. He wants the family that he never had growing up. This then leaves Ted’s future wife having some type of relation to Barney or Nora right? Well not completely. We have no clue what she does. Maybe she works at the place where Barney and Nora are getting married. Barney’s half-sister would be a good idea but why would his father say she is away at college? Why not just say she goes to Columbia? Plus you could totally commute from Westchester to Columbia everyday…if you’re familiar with the NY metro area. I have a feeling that this is just going to be a big ole fat case of a whole bunch of coincedences. Although I will say, the creators have done their job and have left all us fans wondering and thinking about who is getting married and how does his future wife fit in to all of this.

36. Emma says:

I think it could be Barney getting married to Ted’s ex… the one who was room-mates with the mother :)

37. Sunny says:

It isn’t Robin and Don. The showrunners said the Don story was over. Everyone who thinks they remember the narrator saying Robin would marry Don is completely wrong. That never happened.

38. SL says:

How would Robin and Barney know the mother well enough to invite her to their wedding? If she’s apparently Ted’s ideal woman, they probably would have thought to introduce them by now. Maybe she’s someone’s +1.

39. David says:

Barney would not surprise me, but I doubt it is Robin. The reason I don’t think it is Robin is because while Ted (the best man) and Marshall are in tuxs, when Lily comes to get them, she is not in a bridesmaid dress. If it was Robin, Lily would be the maid-of-honor of course.

40. Rev says:

I’m pretty sure it’s gonna be Barney and Nora’s wedding or Barney with some girl… Not Robin.

First clue, Marshall wears a boutonniere in the wedding scene, so Marshall is in the wedding and this also eliminates the Punchy Wedding scenario.

Second clue, when Lily summons Ted to do his Best Man job, she didn’t wear any bridesmaid bouquet on her wrist or whatever they called it. Proof that Lily’s not in the wedding, she’s only attending and if it were Barney and Robin’s wedding, she would be busy with the bride not the groom.

Last thing, if it were Barney and Robin’s wedding, where’s the connection to Cindy’s roommate? Does Barney know her? Does Robin?

Maybe Nora knows her and maybe within time Nora could explain that she has a friend who’s a bass player in a band or maybe Barney hired a band where Cindy’s roommate is the bass player.

There are so many theories, but I’m pretty sure that it’ll be Barney’s wedding.

41. Laura says:

Think about this.Could it be at The captain & Zoey’s new wedding?
    And Ted meets the captain’s daughter,who becomes later the MUM?
    That explains everything!Zoey said in one episode,the one of thanksgiving,she was very sorry,the captain’s daughter didn’t want to have dinner with her,but we don´t know her yet!

42. Carol says:

Either Robin is the bride or Barney is the groom. But I don’t think they’ll end up together.
    It has to be one of them because Ted and Marshall will be on the altar.
    I jut wish they are not jumping the shark with this twist.

43. Jake says:

How clever, they’re throwing another wrench into an already large and complicated storyline. How about we meet the mother already!? The producers are gonna need to put a cap to the show before Ted grows up to be Bob Saget.

44. lauren says:

I just watched this seasons opening episode. No one actually says that Ted is the best man at the wedding. It is just heavily hinted. When Lily comes out and says the best men is being summoned, she technically could have been talking to Marshall (who was sitting on the bench beside Ted).

45. Whatchaknow says:

I think its robin and Don as I remember Ted saying that Robin would marry Don

46. Riley says:

It’s going to be Robin’s because she asked Ted to be her best man, and she’ll marry Don. I’d rather see it be Barney’s and Nora

47. Dillon Fedro says:

I feel like its going to be the mother and someone we’ve already met. The mom’s face will probably be veiled to keep her identity secret. I feel this makes sense because they stated they already have the mother cast so odds are they are going to start using her in flah forwards.

48. Sully says:

Barney and Robin have proved they make great friends, but a lousy couple. I think Barney burned his bridges with Nora. Another possibility, Barney’s brother, Wayne Brady gets married. How or why Ted is best man and not Barney could be the twist.(Barney is in the Witness Protection Program and asks Ted to stand in for him, Barney attends the wedding but in disguise). An excellent place to meet the un-met half sister (who happens to be the ex-roommate of Rachel Bilson).

49. Geoff says:

What if it is Zoey’s wedding to someone? Maybe her and *Gasp* Barney…
    That would take a full season or more of explaining…

50. Liana says:

I’ve actually got friends that have a slap bet going on who it is. One thinks Barney/robin – I’d like to see this, but we saw how they ended up at the end of their relationship previously. Unless they bring in a new character and make them super important, this is the only way I can really see it going…