How I Met Your Mother Scoop: Season Finale's Wedding Reveal Will Launch a New Mystery

If you’re hoping How I Met Your Mother‘s sixth season finale will completely resolve the year-long Future Wedding mystery, I have news: It won’t.

But don’t un-Save The Date just yet. There’s a very cool twist in the works, one that will continue to unravel well into Season 7 — and maybe beyond.

A CBS insider tells TVLine that while the Monday sitcom will flash forward to identify the bride and groom at the close of the May 16 season finale, that reveal is merely a piece of a much larger story that will unspool in the present.

How I Met Your Mother Mystery Deepens: Is Robin Marrying a Cylon?

“The wedding takes place ‘a little ways down the road’ — an unidentified, unspecified amount of time away,” HIMYM executive producer Carter Bays tells TVLine, echoing the onscreen subtitles that have appeared with each of this season’s glimpses at the future. “We will be jumping forward for the last scene of the finale, but then we’ll return to the present day when we start Season 7.”

Adds Bay, “The idea is that we’re going to keep revealing little details about this wedding day as we build toward [it] within the chronological story of the show.” And though clues will be dropped throughout Season 7, the ceremony itself won’t necessarily arrive before that finale, either.

CBS Renews How I Met Your Mother, But There’s a Twist

In other words, the mystery of the show’s titular mother — whom we know Ted meets at the aforementioned wedding — will itself be couched in the mystery of how that wedding comes to be, given the likely surprising identity of who it is trading vows.

How I Met Your Mother‘s recent two-year renewal gives Bay’s team more flexibility to flesh out the original mother mystery with this wedding wrinkle.

“We always knew how the series was going to end, but this is a new element that we came up with this year,” the show runner explains. “It adds a new dimension where you’re not just asking, ‘Who is this woman that Ted’s going to meet, and how does he meet her?’ There are now other questions.” Namely, who’s getting married? And once that is revealed in next month’s season-ender, how will that couple get to the altar?

That answer to that second mystery, says Bays, “will be slowly unveiled over the course of the series.”

How do you feel about this wedded twist? Who do you now think will be revealed as the bride and groom at the close of the upcoming Season 6 finale?

Comments (406)

• I am 100 percent certain that its Barney and Robin at the wedding now. As those were the only 2 that we haven’t seen yet in any scene that relate to the wedding.

I am glad that they have chosen those two, as Neil and Cobie have a great chemistry.

Comment by Yasin – April 5, 2011 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sadly, I think you’re probably right. I agree they have great chemistry, but it’s a best friends, bro kind of vibe that works best for those two. As a couple, nah it just doesn’t work for me.

Comment by postsalot – April 5, 2011 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Swarkles for the win!

Comment by John Berggren – April 6, 2011 06:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s the best combo name EVER! Love it!

Comment by Holly – April 6, 2011 06:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nice!

Comment by Lora – April 6, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Love that name. I think only true fans will recognize that combo

Comment by amy – April 6, 2011 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • AWESOME ship name… and amy ur rite only true fans will get it.

Comment by alyssa – April 6, 2011 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • USS Swarkles? I’m on board!

Comment by Johncat – April 7, 2011 12:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Awesome name combo… :D

Comment by SweetNRare1 – April 6, 2011 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • swarkles hmmm, nah srsly i’ve seen how i met your mother season 1-6 (episode 1-4 on seasong 6) twice but i just can’t figure out swarkles :P unless it’s something in later seasong 6, plz tell me haha :P
        only thing i know is have something to do with robin when she was teen pop star and had star name robin sparkles :)

Comment by Robin Lif – April 7, 2011 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Swarley + Sparkles

Comment by Allison – April 7, 2011 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Dude, if you have never seen ‘Swarley’ you are missing a true gem of an episode. Alyson Hannigan was great in it! The whole episode was great. Swarles Barkley?

Comment by Liz – April 7, 2011 10:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • ahi actually suspected a tiny bit :P but screwed to even ask, i remember that episode in season 2 when the coffe shop girl called barney for swarley but it’s just i forgot what she called him so i just screwed that thought and asked instead :P x) but now i’m up to speed ^^ thanks :)

Comment by Robin Lif – April 7, 2011 02:13 PM PDT
          • I agree TOTALLY. Swarley is my all time fav! I belly laugh every time I watch it!! Swarlos! Swarlz! too funny!

Comment by Doomus – April 8, 2011 07:53 AM PDT
          • SWARLEY!!!!!!!!! (where everybody knows your name)
            haha love that shipper name!! people need to start using that for youtube montage titles!

Comment by Karla – April 9, 2011 09:15 PM PDT
          • Swarlos :))?

Comment by NYCgal – October 9, 2012 03:47 AM PDT
    • I disagree. I love Barney and Robin but I don’t think that’s going to happen. last new episode Ted’s friend from high school said he was engaged and he asked Ted to be the best man at the wedding, I think that’s the wedding in the season finale.

Comment by reetu – April 6, 2011 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Why would we need so much time to build to Punchy’s wedding? That’s no surprise at all. It’s definitely not his wedding, that doesn’t need to be that far in the future. I’m thinking either Barney or Robin….but hopefully them together!!

Comment by Rachel – April 6, 2011 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The executive producer of the show just said the couple getting married will be a surprise. How would Punchy and his girlfriend(whom we have already met) be a surprise?

Comment by Dav – April 6, 2011 08:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I used to think it was Punchy’s wedding too, then the more I thought about it, it didn’t make sense. Ted said if he would’ve left NY he would’ve never met the mother, and why would Punchy’s wedding be in NY? He lives in Cleveland. Furthermore, why would Punchy invite all of Ted’s friends to his wedding? I mean, not totally implausible but still. And to top it all off, Marshall was wearing a tuxedo identical to Ted’s.

Comment by Bee – April 6, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • its Barney’s. Ted is his best man, marshall is a groomsman. Hes marrying Nora

Comment by nikki – April 6, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I bet it’s Barney and Nora! I hate to think that Barney will be getting married but that’s who it has to be.

Comment by Joe – April 6, 2011 03:56 PM PDT
          • That’s exactly what my friends and I think too. I really don’t think the writers want to tie Barney and Robin together, especially if there’s 2 more seasons in the mix. Nora and Barney all the way.

Comment by Alex – April 6, 2011 04:07 PM PDT
          • This is my guess too! I think it ties in perfectly as far as I’m concerned, because it’s going to need a really intricate story to find out how Barney and Nora made it happen like the artical says.

Comment by kay – April 6, 2011 05:42 PM PDT
          • I agree that it will be Barney and Nora!

Comment by Nancy Karr – April 7, 2011 07:25 AM PDT
          • If anyone remembers, when “Swarckles” (I’m gonna use that instead of Barney and Robin from now on) broke up, future Ted said they just needed a little bit of time. It wouldn’t be that much of a “surprise” to me because of that hint mid-season 5, but still, makes a lot more sense than Punch’s wedding or Barney and Nora.
            -this show is built to describe soulmates: marshmallow and lily pad, ted and his future wife, and yeah swarckles. they are perfect wingmen, and their relationship just needed some time…it’s gotta be them.

Comment by Karla – April 9, 2011 09:20 PM PDT
          • EW NORA. That would be so terrible, I can’t stand her! ew ew ew!

Comment by ana muller – August 30, 2011 09:22 PM PDT
        • yepp the tux is a big giveaway… good call, it totally slipped my mind

Comment by john – April 6, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What about Marshall’s mom and someone?? Then it would make sense that Marshall was also in a tux. That’s the guess I’m going with! :)

Comment by V – April 7, 2011 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • That doesn’t make sense. Why would Ted be Marshall’s mom’s best man??

Comment by M – April 7, 2011 09:04 AM PDT
          • Marshall’s Mom and Ted’s Dad!!!!!!!

Comment by errrn – April 7, 2011 05:13 PM PDT
      • although, noone else is friends with punchy so it wouldnt make sense to have them all at this wedding

Comment by Jonah Kember – April 6, 2011 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • same barney will never get married he has to stay as a playa

Comment by eli berglas – April 6, 2011 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • We haven’t seen Barney in the flashforwards, nor have we seen Robin (to the best of my knowledge). Could this be because the producers/writers don’t want us to know they’re married at that point?

Comment by tinmtl – April 6, 2011 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You all make good arguments. I first thought it would be Punchy’s wedding, but why is Marshall be there and wearing a tux. I now think its Robin’s wedding and she is marrying…….. Uncle Don. Didn’t Ted refer to Don as Uncle Don to the his Kids? I think he will be back and marry Robin.

Comment by Matt – April 6, 2011 08:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Ted has never referred to Don as Uncle Don.

That would be TOO big a thing for anyone to ever let go of, it would have destroyed the hopes of all BroTP shippers immediately.

Comment by b – April 8, 2011 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I would love Barney and Robin to end up together (thats just me) but I too think it might be “Punchy’s” wedding.

Comment by holymoose – April 7, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is what I have always assumed – BUT that was also based on the assumption that the wedding takes place in real-time at the end of this season.

If it happens at some unspecified future point that we’re still building to, then that totally opens up the BroTP potential. And makes Punchy’s wedding a total red herring, which I for one fell for all season.

Comment by b – April 8, 2011 03:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • OMG!! I really wanna see the final episode of season 6!!!! Can’t wait. Maybe it was better if I didn’t read this. Now I will be worried.

Comment by Brandon – April 6, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think its Barney and Nora…

Comment by karen – April 6, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • YES!!! I completely agree! Esp when it did the flash forward in the episode where Nora invited Barney to meet her parents!

Comment by Annie – April 6, 2011 03:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It wasn’t a flashforward of barney meeting nora’s parents. It was all only in his head.

Comment by Carol – April 6, 2011 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That wasn’t a flash forward. He imagined that while standing at the door to the restaurant, then chickened out and didn’t go in.

Comment by b – April 8, 2011 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope it is them! They have a great chemistry. But seeing how their relationship ended, its not much of a possibility. :(

Comment by Yash Ved – April 6, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh yeah, Barney and Nora…Barney is in LOVE with her…like a grown up. :)

Comment by Lilac Wolf – April 6, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree. I have thought it was barney and nora for a while now.

Comment by nick – April 6, 2011 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yes i completely agree since it wouldn’t be much of a mystery if it were robin and barney or swarkles hahah.
        plus they are too much alike
        but barney and nora would be a great mystery for a richer story so im going with that.
        Plus ted is the best man so it has to be someone very close and barney is teds best friend …next to marshal so it makes sense if ted is the best man.

Comment by tristan martin williams – April 6, 2011 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love it if it was Robin and Barney too, but I doubt it… I keep thinking of an episode (forget which one) where Ted mentions all of the places Robin would end up working. Of course, we already know about Tokyo, but is it very realistic to assume that she would relocate to all of those other places in the world alone if she was married to Barney, or that he’d actually go with her? Unless she travels the world within the next couple of seasons, I don’t see how that’s possible. Doing so would also prevent the plot between them from developing. Just a thought!

Comment by Laura – April 6, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Barney travels internationally a lot for his job – it wouldn’t be too hard for them to have a long distance marriage for a couple of years. Especially if they had an “open” marriage, which I think is totally a realistic possibility for these two.

Comment by b – April 8, 2011 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You cannot be certain of that! Although we have yet to see them, I think they planned that to keep people guessing. If Robin is involved it is much more likely to be her and Don as we know from past shows that they end up together.

Comment by Sarah – April 6, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • From what episode do we “know” they end up together? I have watched all of the seasons at least 2 times and I don’t remember any mention of them being together. Plus there is the whole “never invite an ex to your wedding” thing to consider.

Comment by David – April 6, 2011 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yes, agree with David here except I’ve probably seen them 4+ times each! Sarah – please enlighten us.

Comment by sarahp – April 6, 2011 06:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is going to be the lesbian wedding. The girl that was the mom’s roommate and the other girl that she kissed earlier this season.

Comment by Joe Mama – April 6, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That surely makes more sense than the Barney and Robin scenario!

Comment by Yash Ved – April 6, 2011 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • this is the only scenario that it makes sense that he would meet the mother and it be somewhat of a shocking wedding.

Comment by James – April 6, 2011 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I would love it if it were Ted& Robin! What?!

Comment by donna – April 6, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • If it was Ted and robin y would Ted refer to robin as aunt Robin to his kids? Don’t make since.

Comment by Melissa – April 6, 2011 04:03 PM PDT
          • Aren’t you forgetting something? Ted is shown to be the best man at the wedding. I don’t suppose he can be his own best man, can he? And I seriously doubt it is the lesbian wedding. I mean it makes sense having Ted as the best man, but why would Marshall be wearing tux in that case (or for that matter why would Marshall and Lily be even invited).

Comment by designzz – April 7, 2011 12:09 PM PDT
      • that makes a lot of since, I hadn’t considered that! Would definitely lead to meeting mom…

Comment by Samantha – April 6, 2011 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I could have sworn Ted mentioned earlier in this season that that is exactly whose wedding it is and that he met the mother at their wedding :P

Comment by JamesB – April 6, 2011 04:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If it is lesbian couple’s wedding, why is Ted a the best man? It’s implausible.

Comment by Jake – April 6, 2011 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s only implausible if you restrict your imagination to the idea that a woman can only have a female attendant of honour. A woman could have a male as her “man of honour” aka best man.

Comment by sara – April 6, 2011 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It IS implausible that Ted AND Marshall will play such an important part in the wedding of a girl they barely know.

Comment by Saudamini – April 6, 2011 08:34 PM PDT
          • Except that it’s still implausible that she would pick some guy she went on one date with once as her best man. That’s not usually how it works.

Comment by b – April 8, 2011 03:38 PM PDT
      • But a) we already know how they meet, and why would we care how two incidental, throwaway characters went from meeting to marrying?? and b) why would Ted be their best man?

Comment by b – April 8, 2011 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But if it is Robin and Barney… and they invite the people they know.. the mother is the date of one of the guests.. because ted meets her there and i think ted must know almost every friend of robin and barney as they are bff’s… i think it is barney with nora or someone else

Comment by amed7 – April 6, 2011 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ted hasn’t met Carly Whittaker, Barney’s sister yet; who is in college

Comment by KC – April 6, 2011 09:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Just remembered that comment from Legendaddy.

Possibly a good twist as she would be at Barney’s wedding with the rest of the Whittaker family and Ted hasn’t met her yet.

The Bro-code doesn’t have any rules on half sisters but we can take guidance from the step mum rule which states that it is OK to hit on her if she initiates it.

Also Barney is always described to the kids as Uncle Barney. Just saying.

Comment by 101 – September 19, 2011 02:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Carly can’t be the mother. In 2008, the mother was at a St. Patty’s day party at a BAR (she had to have been at least 21 years old). College students turn 21 either in their senior year or afterward. Carly is in college as of 2011 (season 6), so she can’t be older than 22 now. But according to the St. Patty’s day party, she would have to be at least 25 right now. So the mother is not a “college” student. She is a graduate student (she lived in an apartment with Cindy, another graduate student). Wouldn’t Barney’s dad say that Carly is in graduate school, not college, if she truly was a graduate student? Thus Carly is definitely not the mother. She’s too young. The mother is probably 28 at the moment, but that’s just my guess.

Comment by Alex – April 5, 2012 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m sure Barney has a LOT of business contacts whom he might invite to a wedding but haven’t met his friends.

Comment by b – April 8, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i think its Barney and Robins friend ( i forget her name) Robin could be the bridesmaid which would explain why we dont see barney or robin

Comment by kaleb – April 6, 2011 04:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It’s not Barney and Robin, it’s Teds old friends wedding, Punchy. It shows that it’s Punchys wedding when he asks Ted to be his best man at his future wedding. Btw Barney and Robin never get together

Comment by Jason – April 6, 2011 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It did not show that it was Punchy’s wedding. It was strongly implied, but we only know that Ted is Punchy’s best man and is best man at this wedding – he could be best man twice. We saw no direct evidence that the wedding shown was the same as Punchy’s wedding.

Comment by b – April 8, 2011 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought the wedding he meets his wife was Punchie? I thought that was the whole point of showing Punchie and why Punchie asked Ted to be his best man.

Comment by Kenneth – April 6, 2011 06:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wouldn’t it be weird if was them? But the wedding didn’t happen, like one of them flaked out? That’d be sad. But I am pretty sure that it will be Barney and another girl or Robin and another guy. They’ve alluded to it all season.

Comment by Em – April 6, 2011 08:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I really liked Barney and Robin together. But didn’t they show that those two can’t work for very long?

I wish it were them both, but I have a feeling it’ll be Robin.

Comment by Allotrios – April 6, 2011 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At first i also thought that it’s going to be barneys and robins wedding, but i think the producers want us to think that it’s their wedding. It’s to obivious because they aren’t in one of the yet released scenes…

Comment by Zora – April 6, 2011 10:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • nope..i don’t think it’s robin and Barney’s wedding..it’s not barney and nora’s wedding either.. I can be certain maybe It’s BLITZ’s wedding..u guys remember blitz right?that ‘ohhhh mannnnn!’ dude…

Comment by ruzzyo – April 8, 2011 01:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Barney and Nora will be together in the show in the end even though traits of jealousy, resentment and looks of mistakes have been seen on the faces of Robin and Barney (meaning they made the wrong decision on breaking up, or it’s too late for me to find love). Robin will most likely be together with that one guy from the episode “Perfect Cocktail” where Ted ruins it for her by announcing their ‘fake’ engagement. Last but not least there will be obvisious episodes dealing with Marshall and Lily’s baby on the way, I do believe one of those episodes will be regarding abortion or something of that sort, getting cold feet and realizing if they are reading for a baby so on and so forth. LOVE YOU HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER!!!

Comment by HIMYMLOVER – August 26, 2011 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ms. Megan Masters, you have the absolute best scoop! Love TVLine and love your articles every time they pop up in my feed. :)

Comment by RP – April 5, 2011 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I so hope it is Robin and Barney! They are fantastic together and knowing that they end up together in the end will make their relationships between then and now easier to deal with!

Comment by Samantha – April 5, 2011 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This! I won’t mind having to see Barney and Robin with other people for a bit if we know it is all heading towards them being together.

Comment by Kristi – April 5, 2011 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Figured it was a flash forward! Yay for being proven right!

And please, please be Barney/Robin!

Comment by klutzy_girl – April 5, 2011 06:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If the wedding doesn’t actually take place until season 8, then it is definitely Barney and Robin. There’s no way they’re going to commit to a guest star being that pivotal two seasons in advance. I bet you anything that Barney and Nora hook up in the finale, making it a surprise twist that he’s marrying Robin in the flashfoward.

Comment by Trina – April 5, 2011 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly.

Comment by SK – April 6, 2011 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I bet you anything that Barney and Nora hook up in the finale, making it a surprise twist that he’s marrying Robin in the flashfoward.

I love it.

Comment by b – April 8, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I forget, how do we know that Ted meets the mother at the wedding?

Comment by Lexie – April 5, 2011 08:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In the episode Garbage Island, Future Ted tells Wendy the waitress that his relationship with Zoey does not end well and he met his wife at this wedding.

Comment by Meg – April 5, 2011 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Future Ted says so in the season 6 opener.

Comment by Lex – April 5, 2011 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How about Pineapple girl and Ted is her maid of honour?

Comment by Kris – April 5, 2011 08:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But they already told us who were the bride and groom! It’s Ted’s College Friend Punchy! He is getting married and asked ted to be the best man!

Comment by JuakoHawk – April 5, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes, then Robin asked Ted to be her best man if she ever got married. Then we saw Barney really wanted to shack up and settle down. Why do we have to repeat this every time?

Comment by Michael – April 5, 2011 08:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Barney and Nora!!! Ted is Barney’s best friend, so obviously be Ted’s best man, and it was revealed in Change of Heart that Barney loves Nora

Comment by nikki – April 6, 2011 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree! Barney and Nora! Best end EVER! The week Barney is the greatest. Loved it whe he smached his phone cause of noras number.
          But I think Barney has two best men. just tough.

Comment by Beansi – April 6, 2011 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • SPOILER ALERT!!!(possibly) its barney and nora. nora has a british accent so to force barney to commit or lose her entirely they could make her have to leave the country like what almost happened to robin. then at the wedding what they show where ted is in the back peeling a beer label off.. which they said is a kinda anxious (or dare i say depressed?) habit. ted is upset because “even barney” is getting married and he still has not… after all marshall and lilys getting engaged started the series. which explains why marshall has his hand on teds back in a consoling manner. then ted is gonna swear off dating out of frustration and say the line we all know “im done with dating im just gonna focus on my work for a while” and bam ted is approached by a female who recognizes him from the first lesson ted gave in college where he made a fool of himself and says hi. they start talking maybe ted helped influence her interest in the field of architecture. but then barneys dad comes up and says “oh hey ted I guess you already met my daughter.” because as they said barney dad has a new family with a younger brother and a sister who was in college. who they failed to show… and thus barney truly becomes UNCLE BARNEY.

Comment by mattlock – April 10, 2011 12:29 PM PDT
    • No, they never said that it was the same wedding. People just assumed that because it was the same episode or close to it. I think Robin Barney is too predictable, there must be a twist to the bride or groom.

Comment by Esta – April 5, 2011 08:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But if you watched that episode, Marshall had a matching tuxedo on. Since Punchy is Ted’s friend from his high schoo days, not college, it is unlikely that Marshall would be part of the wedding party.

Comment by Jolie – April 6, 2011 05:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah and Marshall doesn’t like Punchy so there is no reason he would be at his wedding.

Comment by djtjmom – April 6, 2011 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Everyone also forgets that Lily is a bridesmaid! She comes out wearing a bridesmaid dress and holding a bouquet in the flashforward! So the bride has to know her too. It could be Nora, if they get close sometime soon, or Robin! Either way, It’s definitely NOT punchy.

Comment by rebekah – May 2, 2011 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That sounds amazing! I hope it’s Barney and Robin.

Comment by I – April 5, 2011 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want it to be barney and robin but it cant be that simple. I cant wait!!!

Comment by Nick – April 5, 2011 08:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maaaaaan, if these characters weren’t so freakin’ awesome just sitting in the booth at MacLaren’s doing absolutely nothing…i’d be getting pretty pretty pissed at all the stall tactics and lack of resolution.
    It’s a good thing they are no where close to that. Who cares about the mother at this point? They should just rename the show “How Me and my Friends had fun in our Early Thirties” for all I care.

Comment by TheDude – April 5, 2011 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love this and completely agree! I seriously wish they were real people.

Comment by Lauren – April 6, 2011 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • lol they really should

Comment by alyssa – April 6, 2011 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Robin and Punchy!

Comment by SonR – April 5, 2011 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It could be Ted and “someone” because the “mother” does not necessarily have to be his first wife, or the wedding that they are going to be at may not even finish…Ted has been know to be stood up. I would like it to be Barney and Robin…maybe for a greencard for Robin ha

Comment by Jenn – April 5, 2011 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love for it to be Barney and Robin too <3 Robin has dual citizenship, though.

Comment by Lex – April 5, 2011 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Robin doesn’t have dual citizenship, she was almost deported before Barney found her a job because she is here on a work visa.

Comment by Tina – April 6, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except Ted is the best man at the wedding…

Comment by Jess – April 6, 2011 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It could be Ted and “someone” because the mother does not necessarily have to be his first wife, or the wedding that they are going to be at may not even finish…Ted has been know to be stood up. I would like it to be Barney/Robin…maybe for a greencard for Robin ha

Comment by Jenn – April 5, 2011 08:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t watch this show, but my sister does, so I kind of know what’s going on. I think that Jenn is right (I couldn’t reply to her post) and that it’s actually Ted getting married. That’s the only twist I can think of, that would truly throw off most of the people watching.

Comment by BRETT – April 5, 2011 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, with the scenes of Ted & Marshall chatting on the bench, Marshall does ask Ted a question at some point that identifies him as being the best man (if I’m not mistaken).

Comment by Mel – April 6, 2011 12:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Exactly – I think Lily says something about the groom needing his best man (Ted), or something like that…

Comment by Pix – April 6, 2011 02:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yes, Ted is the Best Man at the wedding so he can’t be the groom.

Comment by Kay – April 6, 2011 08:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree, Jen. I’ve been thinking that for awhile. Actually, I’ve been thinking it is Ted and Robin… who says they didn’t give it a go and end up divorced, but remain close and becomes aunt Robin… its possible.

Comment by Samantha – April 6, 2011 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I only just started following this whole story. Do we know for sure Ted is the best man at this wedding? He couldn’t be the groom? Maybe marrying someone else, but then meets another woman who ends up being the mother of his children down the road when his first marriage doesn’t work out?

Comment by Tamara – April 5, 2011 09:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In a flashforward, Ted tells Wendy that he met his wife at a wedding where he was the best man.

Comment by Trina – April 5, 2011 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While I would love to see Barney and Robin together, that seems too obvious.
    I think it will be one of these two characters to other people. But no one says that the wedding goes through…
    I could see it being Robin, because Ted seems a little sad in the scene with Marshal when they are drinking a beer… That could be the end of the Robin-Ted era.

Comment by Mandy – April 6, 2011 12:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope it’s Barney and Robin’s wedding. :)

Comment by nisa – April 6, 2011 01:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope to Lord its Barney and Robin. THey would be awesome for each other…but, it is a possibility that since Barney/Robin is so predictable, they wont be the ones walking down the aisle.

Comment by Raksha – April 6, 2011 03:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, it seems like TVLine thinks it’s Barney and Robin too, considering the tags… :)

Comment by Sophie – April 6, 2011 03:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I soooooo want it to be Barney and Robin, but I have a feeling it’s not. I’m thinking Robin will indeed be the bride, but I’m guessing the groom will be Michael Trucco.

Comment by Erin – April 6, 2011 04:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • dude, i totally forgot about him! good call, since they said it was ‘far from over’ or something like that.

Comment by kathryn – May 16, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I totally called that it would be a flashforward to the wedding in the future! :) (Now I can go tell my sister, who was positive it was Punchy’s wedding, haha.) But I’m really, really crossing my fingers it’s Barney and Robin. I love them together, and I think it would be a lot of fun to watch them eventually make their way to the altar over the course of the series. Although, the article says they reveal both the bride and the groom, which I didn’t expect. I expected them to end the season with Barney getting back together with Nora, and flashing forward to Barney at a wedding, but not show the bride to keep the mystery, so I don’t know…

Comment by SK – April 6, 2011 05:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sigh. Sometimes I feel like they drag everything out too much.

Comment by Danielle – April 6, 2011 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you won’t say that three season from now when we see the mother through a dense fog for 5 seconds

Comment by mrclean – April 7, 2011 06:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My prediction:
    Barney and Robin’s wedding, where Ted first meets Barney’s half sister, his future wife.

Comment by Michael – April 6, 2011 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Let me comment more on my comment:
      We found out that Barney’s half sister is ‘away’ at college…and we know that Ted’s future wife was in the class he mistakenly started teaching…hmmmmmm…makes you wonder!

Comment by Michael – April 6, 2011 06:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I just want to thank you for the fantastic mental picture of Barney and Ted and bros-in-law. And all the fun ways Ted can torture Barney with innuendo about his sister. I would love for this to be true.

Comment by Cari – April 6, 2011 07:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • And that would also explain “Uncle Barney” and “Aunt Robin”

Comment by Grignac – April 6, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Considering we also have “Uncle Marshall” and “Aunt Lily,” I doubt this is the case. Ted torturing Barney with his I’m-banging-your-sister status would be pretty priceless, though.

Comment by Ace – April 6, 2011 12:51 PM PDT
          • But he doesn’t refer to Robin as “Aunt Robin” when he’s talking to the kids, he always refers to her as just “Robin.” He does, however, refer to the rest as Aunt and Uncle.

Comment by Annie – April 6, 2011 03:16 PM PDT
          • She is referred to by Ted and the children as “Aunt Robin” in the pilot episode.

Comment by Adam – April 7, 2011 02:51 PM PDT
      • I totally agree!! I’ve been thinking the same thing for awhile. We also know that Ted’s future wife is Rachel Bilson’s roommate (I can’t remember her character’s name). I think this totally makes sense — why else would they even mention Barney having a sister in college if they weren’t going to introduce her at some point???

Comment by Sarah – April 6, 2011 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ummm….Ted dated a girl that was roommates with his future wife. I’m pretty sure that would have not escaped Barney’s attention if she were his half sister….or did I miss something?

Comment by Kscwbyfn – April 6, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Barney’s never met his half sister. He doesn’t know who she is yet. She could still be Rachel Bilson’s roommate

Comment by Tiffany – April 6, 2011 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t forget that Ted’s future wife is Cindys roomate. That is a cool fact to remember too.

Comment by Tomek – April 6, 2011 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • and this is why the kids call them Uncle Barney and Aunt Robin. Because they are ACTUALLY the kids’ real aunt and uncle. Love this theory.

Comment by MR – April 6, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I read that they are bring back a character. I think it will be Teds sister. She and Barney are getting married.

Comment by kevin – April 6, 2011 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The mother wont be Barney’s sister because acording to the bro code ‘a bro shall not sleep with another bro’s sister’. If Ted and Barney’s sister hooked up Barney would be pissed at Ted. So i doubt its Barney’s sister.

Comment by Tariq – August 7, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Ted acts as best man to “The Captain” when he gets remarried

Comment by CeeCee – April 6, 2011 06:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s a great twist. But the more I read, the more I think the mother will be Barney’s half-sister

Comment by Liz – April 6, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope its Barney and Robin too, I know it seems predictable, but I want those two together in the end. At this point I am more involved in this storyline than in Ted actually finding the mother.

Comment by Melissa – April 6, 2011 06:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please let it be Robin and Barney! Love love this!

Comment by s – April 6, 2011 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for the episode coming up in two years where we see the mother’s hand opening a door.

Comment by mr clean – April 6, 2011 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m guessing Barney and Ted’s sister Heather…just seems like they need a big swerve and no one would see that coming. Ted co-signed a lease for her to move to NYC and we haven’t seen her since…

Comment by Travis (Chicago) – April 6, 2011 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it won’t be Barney and Robin…we already have an idea who it is because its one of Ted’s ex flings roommates and I;m pretty sure she wouldn’t be invited to Barney and Robins wedding

Comment by Owned – April 6, 2011 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The mother is in a band. She could be in the wedding band. I don’t want it to be barney and Robin though.

Comment by theonlyolly – April 6, 2011 03:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no way barney/robin would just be too predictable im betting its robin and don. barney is JUST starting to have emotional feelings, they cant marry him off, his single persona is just too funny.

Comment by lindsey – April 6, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s going to be Barney’s wedding but not Barney and Robin’s…it sounds like Ted is going to be the Best Man and Barney would absolutey choose ted for his best man. i agree it could be punchy’s wedding but that’s not a “surprise” as mentioned above. And I think Ted’s future wife ends up being someone’s date perhaps?

Comment by Beth – April 6, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • it cant be barneys half sister because they said she is ‘away’ at college, which implies that it isnt close. if she went to the school ted teachers at and was in his class then they would have more opportunities to se ehr and wouldnt consider it being ‘away’

Comment by lindsey – April 6, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Something feels off.

Way back in Lucky Penny, Ted says he is lucky to have missed the flight, since he never would have the mother if he had moved to Chicago.

If the key to the wedding is that this is where he meets the mother, and it is Robin and/or Barney and/or Punchy getting married, then Ted would (likely) have been at the wedding even if he had moved. The Lucky Penny statement doesn’t fit.

Maybe it is just because I watched Lucky Penny last week… but still. It feels like the wedding should be someone else – which feels like a weird thing to build for a year.

Comment by Joshua – April 6, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Punchy wedding is a red herring. It’s not Robin/Barney either, because they’ve already established that there is an “Uncle Don” so it’s pretty clear that Robin’s going to end up married to Don (unless he marries Ted’s little sister- which I find ridiculous and unlikely.)

My hypothesis, especially as this ‘twist’ was invented this year- it’s the Captain and Zoey’s wedding. Ted ends up bringing them back together, which is why he’s invited to the wedding. The Captain and Zoey VAN SMOOT. The mother will be a relative of the Captain, which is why all along the series the Van Smoot name and Van Smoot house have been brought up again and again. The mother is $somebody van Smoot, and it’s only by getting Zoey and the Captain back together that he ends up officially meeting her.

Just a theory. :D

Comment by Xana – April 6, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • In that case, maybe it’s Zoey’s step-daugter? She didn’t like Zoey because they were close to the same age!

Comment by Christina – April 6, 2011 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i really think it might be Robin and Don

Comment by smruti – April 6, 2011 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s totally Barney and Nora.

Comment by Cam – April 6, 2011 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. It’s Barney and Nora for sure. Barney is changing in the last few episodes. He’ll settle down at the end of season 7.

Comment by Cochise – April 6, 2011 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If Barney gets married, he’ll freak out and quit the ceremony, doesn’t matter with Nora or with Robin, he’ll freak out and do something like Marshall in his wedding and Ted won’t be able to fix it like in Marshall’s wedding!

Comment by Samy – April 16, 2011 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I would love for it to be Barney and Robin getting married I doubt it will be them walking down the isle together. My guess is that it is Robin and someone else (It makes sense for Ted to be her best man), however maybe Barney will stop the wedding, profess his love for Robin, and both of them will end up together (except we would only find out when the wedding is present time and not just a flash-forward). :D

Comment by sonya – April 6, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In this season’s episode he said that they were at the same party they just didn’t know each other yet.

Comment by Gio – April 6, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’ll be Robin or Barney (I’m guessing Robin), and Ted’s going to be ROBIN’s best man, which testifies to Robin’s tomboyish attitude. Barney and Robin don’t work; they went that way, and you saw how it ended. I hope they don’t rejoin them because it’s just trying to tie off loose ends in an overly convenient fashion(I’m glad they didn’t just attach Phoebe to Joey in Friends, not that it’s half as good as this show). Robin will meet a new guy next season. I liked the Don element last season; I like the Nora element this season. It’s just way more realistic.

Comment by MJR – April 6, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • lindsey it seems like good thinking but remember that most universities have dorm rooms so she could be staying on campus, plus as we know it was ‘rachel bilsons’ roomate at college it makes perfect sense that it could potentially be barney’s half-sister

Comment by ryan – April 6, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • true, but even then how would they have never run into each other yet? she wouldnt have been living far away and they could have easily seen each other (her and barney i mean, and then by extension.. ted) guess we will have to wait and see!

Comment by lindsey – April 6, 2011 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s totally gonna be Barney and Nora!

Now that Barney’s met his Dad and stuff, he’s gonna start to change his ways, and go for Nora again… And then we have a whole new circle of friends from which to meet The Mother!

Thoughts?

Comment by Bill – April 6, 2011 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Barney and Nora…

Comment by karen – April 6, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the last episode is called, ¨Challenge Accepted” i think the wedding is going to have Barney as a protagonist, this season has been more about him and Marshall than Ted anyways so…

Comment by Alejandro Montero Ortiz – April 6, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m thinking its going to be Barney’s wedding. Ted will meet Barney’s half sister who we heard about in the Lithgow episode.

Comment by Roldi – April 6, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And it turns out that Barney’s half sister was Cindy’s roomate? I don’t think so. So, for sure this is the wedding of Barney, Robin or (hopefully not) both.

Comment by Manolo – April 6, 2011 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Did they not tell us in past episodes that Robin ends up married to her ex-costar of the news show? Don? I believe they told us it was. So either it is Robin’s wedding to Don, or Robin will not likely be the bride!

Comment by Sarah – April 6, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Over time I’ve watched the old seasons of HIMYM at least 3 times. Always making sure the ‘clues’ are still fresh in my mind. So I’m pretty confident in saying that no one ever said anything about Robin ending up marrying Don or any ex co-star for that matter. I, like a lot of others, am convinced that Robin and Barney end up together…they just make too much sense. But stranger things have happened in tv series. I read on another site that it might be Barney and Nora’s wedding. That would be interesting!!!

Comment by Drake – May 12, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so confused. Wasn’t it already revealed that Ted is best man in his x gfs wedding who is a lesbian now? And that the mother was his x gfs roommate at one point? Ted saw his wife’s ankle in the apartment one of the first seasons. So he meets the mother at that wedding.

Comment by Monica – April 6, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope its either barney or robin,but not both.the couple element should stay with marshmallow and lillypad,. . . The barnacle should not be tied down

Comment by Ebrahim – April 6, 2011 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WAIT IM SO CONFUSED WHEN IS THIS GOING TO HAPPEN!

Comment by marco ferrieri – April 6, 2011 02:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barney and Punchy.

BUNCHY!

Comment by Spitzi – April 6, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • robin also asked ted to be her best man..i think takt he will meat her an that weading..:)

Comment by lukenda kalu – April 6, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wowww did no one pay attention to the first episode of season 6? They said he meets her at the wedding of the future mom’s roomate, who Ted dated for an episode in season 5′s “girls vs. suits.”

Comment by sean – April 6, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you!!! See my reply above.

Comment by Monica – April 6, 2011 03:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • actually the wedding from the episode is never ever specified. Ted was talking about the roomates and then says “that’s not the day I met your mother, I met your mother the day of THE wedding” so he never specifies that it was THEIR wedding, although I think it very well could be. It makes the most sense in terms of meeting the mother since she is the roommate of Cindy. But also, it is never specified whether Ted or Marshall is the best man of the wedding being shown. Lily comes out and says “best man, you’re being summoned.” and Ted responds to that but Lily never addresses Ted or Marshall specifically

Comment by Sam – April 6, 2011 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • But later, in the episode with Wendy the Waitress (Garbage Island?) in the flash forward Ted says he met his wife when he was the best man.

Comment by Abby – April 6, 2011 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think its robin’s wedding..coz in one episode i don’t remember the name she’ll say that she wants ted to be her best man..and as said
        Lily comes out and says “best man, you’re being summoned”. so this makes sense

Comment by Gokul – April 7, 2011 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. In the first episode Future Ted says he met the Mother “at _A_ wedding.”

Comment by Dylan – April 6, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • A. He never says that specifically.

B. Waaaayyy back last summer when this wedding was a blind item, Ausiello specified that it was a heterosexual wedding. Cindy marries a woman. So, no.

Comment by Becca – April 6, 2011 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • How on earth would a lesbian couple get married at the CHURCH?
        I really hope that it’s not Robin and Don, man, I hated that guy…
        I think the best theories so far are that the mother is either Barney’s half-sister or The Captain’s daughter. Hope it’s the first one.

Comment by Natalie – April 7, 2011 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • why is it impossible for a gay couple to get married at a church? not all christians are bigots.

Comment by badassy – April 11, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m 99% sure he was talking about Charlie and Rose from 2HM. I know it’s done now, but they were building up to that this season and Sheen even said that there was no way the show could last another season. Seems like a good way to finish it and it fits all Ausiello’s specifications

Comment by Duncan – April 11, 2011 10:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post