Exclusive

How I Met Your Mother Scoop: Season Finale's Wedding Reveal Will Launch a New Mystery

If you’re hoping How I Met Your Mother‘s sixth season finale will completely resolve the year-long Future Wedding mystery, I have news: It won’t.

But don’t un-Save The Date just yet. There’s a very cool twist in the works, one that will continue to unravel well into Season 7 — and maybe beyond.

A CBS insider tells TVLine that while the Monday sitcom will flash forward to identify the bride and groom at the close of the May 16 season finale, that reveal is merely a piece of a much larger story that will unspool in the present.

How I Met Your Mother Mystery Deepens: Is Robin Marrying a Cylon?

“The wedding takes place ‘a little ways down the road’ — an unidentified, unspecified amount of time away,” HIMYM executive producer Carter Bays tells TVLine, echoing the onscreen subtitles that have appeared with each of this season’s glimpses at the future. “We will be jumping forward for the last scene of the finale, but then we’ll return to the present day when we start Season 7.”

Adds Bay, “The idea is that we’re going to keep revealing little details about this wedding day as we build toward [it] within the chronological story of the show.” And though clues will be dropped throughout Season 7, the ceremony itself won’t necessarily arrive before that finale, either.

CBS Renews How I Met Your Mother, But There’s a Twist

In other words, the mystery of the show’s titular mother — whom we know Ted meets at the aforementioned wedding — will itself be couched in the mystery of how that wedding comes to be, given the likely surprising identity of who it is trading vows.

How I Met Your Mother‘s recent two-year renewal gives Bay’s team more flexibility to flesh out the original mother mystery with this wedding wrinkle.

“We always knew how the series was going to end, but this is a new element that we came up with this year,” the show runner explains. “It adds a new dimension where you’re not just asking, ‘Who is this woman that Ted’s going to meet, and how does he meet her?’ There are now other questions.” Namely, who’s getting married? And once that is revealed in next month’s season-ender, how will that couple get to the altar?

That answer to that second mystery, says Bays, “will be slowly unveiled over the course of the series.”

How do you feel about this wedded twist? Who do you now think will be revealed as the bride and groom at the close of the upcoming Season 6 finale?

1. Yasin says:

I am 100 percent certain that its Barney and Robin at the wedding now. As those were the only 2 that we haven’t seen yet in any scene that relate to the wedding.

I am glad that they have chosen those two, as Neil and Cobie have a great chemistry.

• postsalot says:

Sadly, I think you’re probably right. I agree they have great chemistry, but it’s a best friends, bro kind of vibe that works best for those two. As a couple, nah it just doesn’t work for me.

• John Berggren says:

Swarkles for the win!

• reetu says:

I disagree. I love Barney and Robin but I don’t think that’s going to happen. last new episode Ted’s friend from high school said he was engaged and he asked Ted to be the best man at the wedding, I think that’s the wedding in the season finale.

• Rachel says:

Why would we need so much time to build to Punchy’s wedding? That’s no surprise at all. It’s definitely not his wedding, that doesn’t need to be that far in the future. I’m thinking either Barney or Robin….but hopefully them together!!

• Dav says:

The executive producer of the show just said the couple getting married will be a surprise. How would Punchy and his girlfriend(whom we have already met) be a surprise?

• Bee says:

I used to think it was Punchy’s wedding too, then the more I thought about it, it didn’t make sense. Ted said if he would’ve left NY he would’ve never met the mother, and why would Punchy’s wedding be in NY? He lives in Cleveland. Furthermore, why would Punchy invite all of Ted’s friends to his wedding? I mean, not totally implausible but still. And to top it all off, Marshall was wearing a tuxedo identical to Ted’s.

• nikki says:

its Barney’s. Ted is his best man, marshall is a groomsman. Hes marrying Nora

• Joe says:

I bet it’s Barney and Nora! I hate to think that Barney will be getting married but that’s who it has to be.

• Alex says:

That’s exactly what my friends and I think too. I really don’t think the writers want to tie Barney and Robin together, especially if there’s 2 more seasons in the mix. Nora and Barney all the way.

• kay says:

This is my guess too! I think it ties in perfectly as far as I’m concerned, because it’s going to need a really intricate story to find out how Barney and Nora made it happen like the artical says.

• Nancy Karr says:

I agree that it will be Barney and Nora!

• Karla says:

If anyone remembers, when “Swarckles” (I’m gonna use that instead of Barney and Robin from now on) broke up, future Ted said they just needed a little bit of time. It wouldn’t be that much of a “surprise” to me because of that hint mid-season 5, but still, makes a lot more sense than Punch’s wedding or Barney and Nora.
            -this show is built to describe soulmates: marshmallow and lily pad, ted and his future wife, and yeah swarckles. they are perfect wingmen, and their relationship just needed some time…it’s gotta be them.

• ana muller says:

EW NORA. That would be so terrible, I can’t stand her! ew ew ew!

• john says:

yepp the tux is a big giveaway… good call, it totally slipped my mind

• V says:

What about Marshall’s mom and someone?? Then it would make sense that Marshall was also in a tux. That’s the guess I’m going with! :)

• Jonah Kember says:

although, noone else is friends with punchy so it wouldnt make sense to have them all at this wedding

• eli berglas says:

same barney will never get married he has to stay as a playa

• tinmtl says:

We haven’t seen Barney in the flashforwards, nor have we seen Robin (to the best of my knowledge). Could this be because the producers/writers don’t want us to know they’re married at that point?

• Matt says:

You all make good arguments. I first thought it would be Punchy’s wedding, but why is Marshall be there and wearing a tux. I now think its Robin’s wedding and she is marrying…….. Uncle Don. Didn’t Ted refer to Don as Uncle Don to the his Kids? I think he will be back and marry Robin.

• b says:

Ted has never referred to Don as Uncle Don.

That would be TOO big a thing for anyone to ever let go of, it would have destroyed the hopes of all BroTP shippers immediately.

• holymoose says:

I would love Barney and Robin to end up together (thats just me) but I too think it might be “Punchy’s” wedding.

• b says:

This is what I have always assumed – BUT that was also based on the assumption that the wedding takes place in real-time at the end of this season.

If it happens at some unspecified future point that we’re still building to, then that totally opens up the BroTP potential. And makes Punchy’s wedding a total red herring, which I for one fell for all season.

• Brandon says:

OMG!! I really wanna see the final episode of season 6!!!! Can’t wait. Maybe it was better if I didn’t read this. Now I will be worried.

• karen says:

I think its Barney and Nora…

• Annie says:

YES!!! I completely agree! Esp when it did the flash forward in the episode where Nora invited Barney to meet her parents!

• Carol says:

It wasn’t a flashforward of barney meeting nora’s parents. It was all only in his head.

• b says:

That wasn’t a flash forward. He imagined that while standing at the door to the restaurant, then chickened out and didn’t go in.

• Yash Ved says:

I hope it is them! They have a great chemistry. But seeing how their relationship ended, its not much of a possibility. :(

• Lilac Wolf says:

Oh yeah, Barney and Nora…Barney is in LOVE with her…like a grown up. :)

• nick says:

I agree. I have thought it was barney and nora for a while now.

• tristan martin williams says:

yes i completely agree since it wouldn’t be much of a mystery if it were robin and barney or swarkles hahah.
        plus they are too much alike
        but barney and nora would be a great mystery for a richer story so im going with that.
        Plus ted is the best man so it has to be someone very close and barney is teds best friend …next to marshal so it makes sense if ted is the best man.

• Laura says:

I would love it if it was Robin and Barney too, but I doubt it… I keep thinking of an episode (forget which one) where Ted mentions all of the places Robin would end up working. Of course, we already know about Tokyo, but is it very realistic to assume that she would relocate to all of those other places in the world alone if she was married to Barney, or that he’d actually go with her? Unless she travels the world within the next couple of seasons, I don’t see how that’s possible. Doing so would also prevent the plot between them from developing. Just a thought!

• b says:

Barney travels internationally a lot for his job – it wouldn’t be too hard for them to have a long distance marriage for a couple of years. Especially if they had an “open” marriage, which I think is totally a realistic possibility for these two.

• Sarah says:

You cannot be certain of that! Although we have yet to see them, I think they planned that to keep people guessing. If Robin is involved it is much more likely to be her and Don as we know from past shows that they end up together.

• David says:

From what episode do we “know” they end up together? I have watched all of the seasons at least 2 times and I don’t remember any mention of them being together. Plus there is the whole “never invite an ex to your wedding” thing to consider.

• sarahp says:

Yes, agree with David here except I’ve probably seen them 4+ times each! Sarah – please enlighten us.

• Joe Mama says:

It is going to be the lesbian wedding. The girl that was the mom’s roommate and the other girl that she kissed earlier this season.

• Yash Ved says:

That surely makes more sense than the Barney and Robin scenario!

• James says:

this is the only scenario that it makes sense that he would meet the mother and it be somewhat of a shocking wedding.

• donna says:

I would love it if it were Ted& Robin! What?!

• Melissa says:

If it was Ted and robin y would Ted refer to robin as aunt Robin to his kids? Don’t make since.

• designzz says:

Aren’t you forgetting something? Ted is shown to be the best man at the wedding. I don’t suppose he can be his own best man, can he? And I seriously doubt it is the lesbian wedding. I mean it makes sense having Ted as the best man, but why would Marshall be wearing tux in that case (or for that matter why would Marshall and Lily be even invited).

• Samantha says:

that makes a lot of since, I hadn’t considered that! Would definitely lead to meeting mom…

• JamesB says:

I could have sworn Ted mentioned earlier in this season that that is exactly whose wedding it is and that he met the mother at their wedding :P

• Jake says:

If it is lesbian couple’s wedding, why is Ted a the best man? It’s implausible.

• sara says:

It’s only implausible if you restrict your imagination to the idea that a woman can only have a female attendant of honour. A woman could have a male as her “man of honour” aka best man.

• Saudamini says:

It IS implausible that Ted AND Marshall will play such an important part in the wedding of a girl they barely know.

• b says:

Except that it’s still implausible that she would pick some guy she went on one date with once as her best man. That’s not usually how it works.

• b says:

But a) we already know how they meet, and why would we care how two incidental, throwaway characters went from meeting to marrying?? and b) why would Ted be their best man?

• amed7 says:

But if it is Robin and Barney… and they invite the people they know.. the mother is the date of one of the guests.. because ted meets her there and i think ted must know almost every friend of robin and barney as they are bff’s… i think it is barney with nora or someone else

• KC says:

Ted hasn’t met Carly Whittaker, Barney’s sister yet; who is in college

• 101 says:

Just remembered that comment from Legendaddy.

Possibly a good twist as she would be at Barney’s wedding with the rest of the Whittaker family and Ted hasn’t met her yet.

The Bro-code doesn’t have any rules on half sisters but we can take guidance from the step mum rule which states that it is OK to hit on her if she initiates it.

Also Barney is always described to the kids as Uncle Barney. Just saying.

• Alex says:

Carly can’t be the mother. In 2008, the mother was at a St. Patty’s day party at a BAR (she had to have been at least 21 years old). College students turn 21 either in their senior year or afterward. Carly is in college as of 2011 (season 6), so she can’t be older than 22 now. But according to the St. Patty’s day party, she would have to be at least 25 right now. So the mother is not a “college” student. She is a graduate student (she lived in an apartment with Cindy, another graduate student). Wouldn’t Barney’s dad say that Carly is in graduate school, not college, if she truly was a graduate student? Thus Carly is definitely not the mother. She’s too young. The mother is probably 28 at the moment, but that’s just my guess.

• b says:

I’m sure Barney has a LOT of business contacts whom he might invite to a wedding but haven’t met his friends.

• kaleb says:

i think its Barney and Robins friend ( i forget her name) Robin could be the bridesmaid which would explain why we dont see barney or robin

• Jason says:

It’s not Barney and Robin, it’s Teds old friends wedding, Punchy. It shows that it’s Punchys wedding when he asks Ted to be his best man at his future wedding. Btw Barney and Robin never get together

• b says:

It did not show that it was Punchy’s wedding. It was strongly implied, but we only know that Ted is Punchy’s best man and is best man at this wedding – he could be best man twice. We saw no direct evidence that the wedding shown was the same as Punchy’s wedding.

• Kenneth says:

I thought the wedding he meets his wife was Punchie? I thought that was the whole point of showing Punchie and why Punchie asked Ted to be his best man.

• Em says:

Wouldn’t it be weird if was them? But the wedding didn’t happen, like one of them flaked out? That’d be sad. But I am pretty sure that it will be Barney and another girl or Robin and another guy. They’ve alluded to it all season.

• Allotrios says:

I really liked Barney and Robin together. But didn’t they show that those two can’t work for very long?

I wish it were them both, but I have a feeling it’ll be Robin.

• Zora says:

At first i also thought that it’s going to be barneys and robins wedding, but i think the producers want us to think that it’s their wedding. It’s to obivious because they aren’t in one of the yet released scenes…

• ruzzyo says:

nope..i don’t think it’s robin and Barney’s wedding..it’s not barney and nora’s wedding either.. I can be certain maybe It’s BLITZ’s wedding..u guys remember blitz right?that ‘ohhhh mannnnn!’ dude…

• HIMYMLOVER says:

I think Barney and Nora will be together in the show in the end even though traits of jealousy, resentment and looks of mistakes have been seen on the faces of Robin and Barney (meaning they made the wrong decision on breaking up, or it’s too late for me to find love). Robin will most likely be together with that one guy from the episode “Perfect Cocktail” where Ted ruins it for her by announcing their ‘fake’ engagement. Last but not least there will be obvisious episodes dealing with Marshall and Lily’s baby on the way, I do believe one of those episodes will be regarding abortion or something of that sort, getting cold feet and realizing if they are reading for a baby so on and so forth. LOVE YOU HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER!!!

2. RP says:

Ms. Megan Masters, you have the absolute best scoop! Love TVLine and love your articles every time they pop up in my feed. :)

3. Samantha says:

I so hope it is Robin and Barney! They are fantastic together and knowing that they end up together in the end will make their relationships between then and now easier to deal with!

• Kristi says:

This! I won’t mind having to see Barney and Robin with other people for a bit if we know it is all heading towards them being together.

4. klutzy_girl says:

Figured it was a flash forward! Yay for being proven right!

And please, please be Barney/Robin!

5. Trina says:

If the wedding doesn’t actually take place until season 8, then it is definitely Barney and Robin. There’s no way they’re going to commit to a guest star being that pivotal two seasons in advance. I bet you anything that Barney and Nora hook up in the finale, making it a surprise twist that he’s marrying Robin in the flashfoward.

6. Lexie says:

I forget, how do we know that Ted meets the mother at the wedding?

7. Kris says:

How about Pineapple girl and Ted is her maid of honour?

8. JuakoHawk says:

But they already told us who were the bride and groom! It’s Ted’s College Friend Punchy! He is getting married and asked ted to be the best man!

• Michael says:

Yes, then Robin asked Ted to be her best man if she ever got married. Then we saw Barney really wanted to shack up and settle down. Why do we have to repeat this every time?

• nikki says:

Barney and Nora!!! Ted is Barney’s best friend, so obviously be Ted’s best man, and it was revealed in Change of Heart that Barney loves Nora

• Beansi says:

I agree! Barney and Nora! Best end EVER! The week Barney is the greatest. Loved it whe he smached his phone cause of noras number.
          But I think Barney has two best men. just tough.

• mattlock says:

SPOILER ALERT!!!(possibly) its barney and nora. nora has a british accent so to force barney to commit or lose her entirely they could make her have to leave the country like what almost happened to robin. then at the wedding what they show where ted is in the back peeling a beer label off.. which they said is a kinda anxious (or dare i say depressed?) habit. ted is upset because “even barney” is getting married and he still has not… after all marshall and lilys getting engaged started the series. which explains why marshall has his hand on teds back in a consoling manner. then ted is gonna swear off dating out of frustration and say the line we all know “im done with dating im just gonna focus on my work for a while” and bam ted is approached by a female who recognizes him from the first lesson ted gave in college where he made a fool of himself and says hi. they start talking maybe ted helped influence her interest in the field of architecture. but then barneys dad comes up and says “oh hey ted I guess you already met my daughter.” because as they said barney dad has a new family with a younger brother and a sister who was in college. who they failed to show… and thus barney truly becomes UNCLE BARNEY.

• Esta says:

No, they never said that it was the same wedding. People just assumed that because it was the same episode or close to it. I think Robin Barney is too predictable, there must be a twist to the bride or groom.

• Jolie says:

But if you watched that episode, Marshall had a matching tuxedo on. Since Punchy is Ted’s friend from his high schoo days, not college, it is unlikely that Marshall would be part of the wedding party.

• djtjmom says:

Yeah and Marshall doesn’t like Punchy so there is no reason he would be at his wedding.

• rebekah says:

Everyone also forgets that Lily is a bridesmaid! She comes out wearing a bridesmaid dress and holding a bouquet in the flashforward! So the bride has to know her too. It could be Nora, if they get close sometime soon, or Robin! Either way, It’s definitely NOT punchy.

9. I says:

That sounds amazing! I hope it’s Barney and Robin.

10. Nick says:

I want it to be barney and robin but it cant be that simple. I cant wait!!!

11. TheDude says:

Maaaaaan, if these characters weren’t so freakin’ awesome just sitting in the booth at MacLaren’s doing absolutely nothing…i’d be getting pretty pretty pissed at all the stall tactics and lack of resolution.
    It’s a good thing they are no where close to that. Who cares about the mother at this point? They should just rename the show “How Me and my Friends had fun in our Early Thirties” for all I care.

12. SonR says:

Robin and Punchy!

13. Jenn says:

It could be Ted and “someone” because the “mother” does not necessarily have to be his first wife, or the wedding that they are going to be at may not even finish…Ted has been know to be stood up. I would like it to be Barney and Robin…maybe for a greencard for Robin ha

14. Jenn says:

It could be Ted and “someone” because the mother does not necessarily have to be his first wife, or the wedding that they are going to be at may not even finish…Ted has been know to be stood up. I would like it to be Barney/Robin…maybe for a greencard for Robin ha

• BRETT says:

I don’t watch this show, but my sister does, so I kind of know what’s going on. I think that Jenn is right (I couldn’t reply to her post) and that it’s actually Ted getting married. That’s the only twist I can think of, that would truly throw off most of the people watching.

• Mel says:

Actually, with the scenes of Ted & Marshall chatting on the bench, Marshall does ask Ted a question at some point that identifies him as being the best man (if I’m not mistaken).

• Pix says:

Exactly – I think Lily says something about the groom needing his best man (Ted), or something like that…

• Kay says:

Yes, Ted is the Best Man at the wedding so he can’t be the groom.

• Samantha says:

I totally agree, Jen. I’ve been thinking that for awhile. Actually, I’ve been thinking it is Ted and Robin… who says they didn’t give it a go and end up divorced, but remain close and becomes aunt Robin… its possible.

15. Tamara says:

I only just started following this whole story. Do we know for sure Ted is the best man at this wedding? He couldn’t be the groom? Maybe marrying someone else, but then meets another woman who ends up being the mother of his children down the road when his first marriage doesn’t work out?

16. Mandy says:

While I would love to see Barney and Robin together, that seems too obvious.
    I think it will be one of these two characters to other people. But no one says that the wedding goes through…
    I could see it being Robin, because Ted seems a little sad in the scene with Marshal when they are drinking a beer… That could be the end of the Robin-Ted era.

17. nisa says:

I hope it’s Barney and Robin’s wedding. :)

18. Raksha says:

I hope to Lord its Barney and Robin. THey would be awesome for each other…but, it is a possibility that since Barney/Robin is so predictable, they wont be the ones walking down the aisle.

19. Sophie says:

Well, it seems like TVLine thinks it’s Barney and Robin too, considering the tags… :)

20. Erin says:

I soooooo want it to be Barney and Robin, but I have a feeling it’s not. I’m thinking Robin will indeed be the bride, but I’m guessing the groom will be Michael Trucco.

• kathryn says:

dude, i totally forgot about him! good call, since they said it was ‘far from over’ or something like that.

21. SK says:

I totally called that it would be a flashforward to the wedding in the future! :) (Now I can go tell my sister, who was positive it was Punchy’s wedding, haha.) But I’m really, really crossing my fingers it’s Barney and Robin. I love them together, and I think it would be a lot of fun to watch them eventually make their way to the altar over the course of the series. Although, the article says they reveal both the bride and the groom, which I didn’t expect. I expected them to end the season with Barney getting back together with Nora, and flashing forward to Barney at a wedding, but not show the bride to keep the mystery, so I don’t know…

22. Danielle says:

Sigh. Sometimes I feel like they drag everything out too much.

23. Michael says:

My prediction:
    Barney and Robin’s wedding, where Ted first meets Barney’s half sister, his future wife.

• Michael says:

Let me comment more on my comment:
      We found out that Barney’s half sister is ‘away’ at college…and we know that Ted’s future wife was in the class he mistakenly started teaching…hmmmmmm…makes you wonder!

• Cari says:

I just want to thank you for the fantastic mental picture of Barney and Ted and bros-in-law. And all the fun ways Ted can torture Barney with innuendo about his sister. I would love for this to be true.

• Grignac says:

And that would also explain “Uncle Barney” and “Aunt Robin”

• Ace says:

Considering we also have “Uncle Marshall” and “Aunt Lily,” I doubt this is the case. Ted torturing Barney with his I’m-banging-your-sister status would be pretty priceless, though.

• Annie says:

But he doesn’t refer to Robin as “Aunt Robin” when he’s talking to the kids, he always refers to her as just “Robin.” He does, however, refer to the rest as Aunt and Uncle.

• Adam says:

She is referred to by Ted and the children as “Aunt Robin” in the pilot episode.

• Sarah says:

I totally agree!! I’ve been thinking the same thing for awhile. We also know that Ted’s future wife is Rachel Bilson’s roommate (I can’t remember her character’s name). I think this totally makes sense — why else would they even mention Barney having a sister in college if they weren’t going to introduce her at some point???

• Kscwbyfn says:

Ummm….Ted dated a girl that was roommates with his future wife. I’m pretty sure that would have not escaped Barney’s attention if she were his half sister….or did I miss something?

• Tiffany says:

Barney’s never met his half sister. He doesn’t know who she is yet. She could still be Rachel Bilson’s roommate

• Tomek says:

Don’t forget that Ted’s future wife is Cindys roomate. That is a cool fact to remember too.

• MR says:

and this is why the kids call them Uncle Barney and Aunt Robin. Because they are ACTUALLY the kids’ real aunt and uncle. Love this theory.

• kevin says:

I read that they are bring back a character. I think it will be Teds sister. She and Barney are getting married.

• Tariq says:

The mother wont be Barney’s sister because acording to the bro code ‘a bro shall not sleep with another bro’s sister’. If Ted and Barney’s sister hooked up Barney would be pissed at Ted. So i doubt its Barney’s sister.

24. CeeCee says:

I think Ted acts as best man to “The Captain” when he gets remarried

25. Melissa says:

I really hope its Barney and Robin too, I know it seems predictable, but I want those two together in the end. At this point I am more involved in this storyline than in Ted actually finding the mother.

26. s says:

Please let it be Robin and Barney! Love love this!

27. mr clean says:

I can’t wait for the episode coming up in two years where we see the mother’s hand opening a door.

28. Travis (Chicago) says:

I’m guessing Barney and Ted’s sister Heather…just seems like they need a big swerve and no one would see that coming. Ted co-signed a lease for her to move to NYC and we haven’t seen her since…

29. Owned says:

it won’t be Barney and Robin…we already have an idea who it is because its one of Ted’s ex flings roommates and I;m pretty sure she wouldn’t be invited to Barney and Robins wedding

• theonlyolly says:

The mother is in a band. She could be in the wedding band. I don’t want it to be barney and Robin though.

30. lindsey says:

no way barney/robin would just be too predictable im betting its robin and don. barney is JUST starting to have emotional feelings, they cant marry him off, his single persona is just too funny.

31. Beth says:

I think it’s going to be Barney’s wedding but not Barney and Robin’s…it sounds like Ted is going to be the Best Man and Barney would absolutey choose ted for his best man. i agree it could be punchy’s wedding but that’s not a “surprise” as mentioned above. And I think Ted’s future wife ends up being someone’s date perhaps?

32. lindsey says:

it cant be barneys half sister because they said she is ‘away’ at college, which implies that it isnt close. if she went to the school ted teachers at and was in his class then they would have more opportunities to se ehr and wouldnt consider it being ‘away’

33. Joshua says:

Something feels off.

Way back in Lucky Penny, Ted says he is lucky to have missed the flight, since he never would have the mother if he had moved to Chicago.

If the key to the wedding is that this is where he meets the mother, and it is Robin and/or Barney and/or Punchy getting married, then Ted would (likely) have been at the wedding even if he had moved. The Lucky Penny statement doesn’t fit.

Maybe it is just because I watched Lucky Penny last week… but still. It feels like the wedding should be someone else – which feels like a weird thing to build for a year.

34. Xana says:

The Punchy wedding is a red herring. It’s not Robin/Barney either, because they’ve already established that there is an “Uncle Don” so it’s pretty clear that Robin’s going to end up married to Don (unless he marries Ted’s little sister- which I find ridiculous and unlikely.)

My hypothesis, especially as this ‘twist’ was invented this year- it’s the Captain and Zoey’s wedding. Ted ends up bringing them back together, which is why he’s invited to the wedding. The Captain and Zoey VAN SMOOT. The mother will be a relative of the Captain, which is why all along the series the Van Smoot name and Van Smoot house have been brought up again and again. The mother is $somebody van Smoot, and it’s only by getting Zoey and the Captain back together that he ends up officially meeting her.

Just a theory. :D

35. Cam says:

It’s totally Barney and Nora.

• Cochise says:

I totally agree. It’s Barney and Nora for sure. Barney is changing in the last few episodes. He’ll settle down at the end of season 7.

• Samy says:

If Barney gets married, he’ll freak out and quit the ceremony, doesn’t matter with Nora or with Robin, he’ll freak out and do something like Marshall in his wedding and Ted won’t be able to fix it like in Marshall’s wedding!

36. sonya says:

As much as I would love for it to be Barney and Robin getting married I doubt it will be them walking down the isle together. My guess is that it is Robin and someone else (It makes sense for Ted to be her best man), however maybe Barney will stop the wedding, profess his love for Robin, and both of them will end up together (except we would only find out when the wedding is present time and not just a flash-forward). :D

37. Gio says:

In this season’s episode he said that they were at the same party they just didn’t know each other yet.

38. MJR says:

It’ll be Robin or Barney (I’m guessing Robin), and Ted’s going to be ROBIN’s best man, which testifies to Robin’s tomboyish attitude. Barney and Robin don’t work; they went that way, and you saw how it ended. I hope they don’t rejoin them because it’s just trying to tie off loose ends in an overly convenient fashion(I’m glad they didn’t just attach Phoebe to Joey in Friends, not that it’s half as good as this show). Robin will meet a new guy next season. I liked the Don element last season; I like the Nora element this season. It’s just way more realistic.

39. ryan says:

lindsey it seems like good thinking but remember that most universities have dorm rooms so she could be staying on campus, plus as we know it was ‘rachel bilsons’ roomate at college it makes perfect sense that it could potentially be barney’s half-sister

• lindsey says:

true, but even then how would they have never run into each other yet? she wouldnt have been living far away and they could have easily seen each other (her and barney i mean, and then by extension.. ted) guess we will have to wait and see!

40. Bill says:

It’s totally gonna be Barney and Nora!

Now that Barney’s met his Dad and stuff, he’s gonna start to change his ways, and go for Nora again… And then we have a whole new circle of friends from which to meet The Mother!

Thoughts?

41. karen says:

What about Barney and Nora…

42. Alejandro Montero Ortiz says:

the last episode is called, ¨Challenge Accepted” i think the wedding is going to have Barney as a protagonist, this season has been more about him and Marshall than Ted anyways so…

43. Roldi says:

I’m thinking its going to be Barney’s wedding. Ted will meet Barney’s half sister who we heard about in the Lithgow episode.

• Manolo says:

And it turns out that Barney’s half sister was Cindy’s roomate? I don’t think so. So, for sure this is the wedding of Barney, Robin or (hopefully not) both.

44. Sarah says:

Did they not tell us in past episodes that Robin ends up married to her ex-costar of the news show? Don? I believe they told us it was. So either it is Robin’s wedding to Don, or Robin will not likely be the bride!

• Drake says:

Over time I’ve watched the old seasons of HIMYM at least 3 times. Always making sure the ‘clues’ are still fresh in my mind. So I’m pretty confident in saying that no one ever said anything about Robin ending up marrying Don or any ex co-star for that matter. I, like a lot of others, am convinced that Robin and Barney end up together…they just make too much sense. But stranger things have happened in tv series. I read on another site that it might be Barney and Nora’s wedding. That would be interesting!!!

45. Monica says:

I’m so confused. Wasn’t it already revealed that Ted is best man in his x gfs wedding who is a lesbian now? And that the mother was his x gfs roommate at one point? Ted saw his wife’s ankle in the apartment one of the first seasons. So he meets the mother at that wedding.

46. Ebrahim says:

I hope its either barney or robin,but not both.the couple element should stay with marshmallow and lillypad,. . . The barnacle should not be tied down

47. marco ferrieri says:

WAIT IM SO CONFUSED WHEN IS THIS GOING TO HAPPEN!

48. Spitzi says:

Barney and Punchy.

BUNCHY!

49. lukenda kalu says:

robin also asked ted to be her best man..i think takt he will meat her an that weading..:)

50. sean says:

Wowww did no one pay attention to the first episode of season 6? They said he meets her at the wedding of the future mom’s roomate, who Ted dated for an episode in season 5’s “girls vs. suits.”

• Monica says:

Thank you!!! See my reply above.

• Sam says:

actually the wedding from the episode is never ever specified. Ted was talking about the roomates and then says “that’s not the day I met your mother, I met your mother the day of THE wedding” so he never specifies that it was THEIR wedding, although I think it very well could be. It makes the most sense in terms of meeting the mother since she is the roommate of Cindy. But also, it is never specified whether Ted or Marshall is the best man of the wedding being shown. Lily comes out and says “best man, you’re being summoned.” and Ted responds to that but Lily never addresses Ted or Marshall specifically

• Abby says:

But later, in the episode with Wendy the Waitress (Garbage Island?) in the flash forward Ted says he met his wife when he was the best man.

• Gokul says:

I think its robin’s wedding..coz in one episode i don’t remember the name she’ll say that she wants ted to be her best man..and as said
        Lily comes out and says “best man, you’re being summoned”. so this makes sense

• Dylan says:

No. In the first episode Future Ted says he met the Mother “at _A_ wedding.”

• Becca says:

A. He never says that specifically.

B. Waaaayyy back last summer when this wedding was a blind item, Ausiello specified that it was a heterosexual wedding. Cindy marries a woman. So, no.

• Natalie says:

How on earth would a lesbian couple get married at the CHURCH?
        I really hope that it’s not Robin and Don, man, I hated that guy…
        I think the best theories so far are that the mother is either Barney’s half-sister or The Captain’s daughter. Hope it’s the first one.

• Duncan says:

I’m 99% sure he was talking about Charlie and Rose from 2HM. I know it’s done now, but they were building up to that this season and Sheen even said that there was no way the show could last another season. Seems like a good way to finish it and it fits all Ausiello’s specifications