Comic-Con

Fringe Exclusive: Deadwood's Brad Dourif Saddles Up for Season Finale

A key role for Fringe‘s Season 3 finale has been cast — and as with everything on the Fox series, there’s a bit of a twist involved.

Fringe Countdown Teaser: What Happens at 6:02 AM?!

Brad Dourif, whom many of you remember as Deadwood‘s Doc Cochran, has been tapped to play a mysterious character named Moreau in the sure-to-be-intense Fringe finale airing Friday, May 6.

The wrinkle is that the original casting breakdown for this character specifically sought a “well-known Japanese actor … who speaks English” to fill the role.

Dourif is not a Japanese actor, at least not a well-known one.

He is, however, known for bringing chills to the big screen, where his long resume includes Eyes of Laura Mars, the voice of Chucky in that series of fright films and, most recently, the sheriff in Rob Zombie’s recent run of Halloween redos.

He also of note played The Lord of the Rings‘ Wormtongue, and since Fringe fave John Noble was Denethor (as TVLine reader Jeff points out), we may have a bit of a Middle-earth reunion on our hands.

On TV, in addition to Deadwood, his credits include appearances on Star Trek: Voyager and The X-Files.

Fringe, which is already renewed for a Season 4, returns with new episodes April 15. In the meantime, the musical episode “Brown Betty” airs this Friday.

1. Alex says:

He was also Wormtongue in Lord of the Rings.

• Gwen says:

Indeed he was, and he was certainly chill-inducing in that role, especially in the scene where he went to “comfort” Eowyn after her brother died…creepy!!

• mcat says:

It was actually her cousin who died… Her Uncle Theoden’s son. Eomer is Eowyn’s brother.

Sorry, I’m a total Lord of the Rings geek.

• Gwen says:

You are absolutely right…my bad! Thanks for setting me straight. You’d think after the many times I’ve watched the trilogy, I’d get that relationship right!

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

YES! Will add in. (My brain is teeming with TV knowledge, not so much the movie stuff. I have kids and all, so unless it’s Pixar… LOL)

• Jeff says:

Thank you! I can’t believe that wasn’t in the article, especially since John Noble was Denethor in LOTR. You’d think the WRITER would make that connection immediately.

2. oconnellaboo says:

I always remember him as Luther Lee Boggs on the X-Files. Hella creepy. “Boggs kills…because he likes it…”

3. Rigby says:

Yes! Wormtongue and Denethor together again! Now, all they need to do is get Christopher Lee to make a cameo and we’re golden!

4. side3 says:

Brad Dorif is a great character actor. He was creepy as the killer crewman Suder in “Star Trek : Voyager”, and also played “Billy” in “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest”!

5. Air says:

Oh, this is fantastic news. Dourif’s an awesome actor, character or otherwise. Besides just the visual/ascetic appeal, his Piter De Vries is one of the only reasons to even watch the ’84 Dune — well, him, and Sting in the alien-equivalent of a Speedo. :)

• shadowjester says:

“It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, lips acquire stains, the stains becomes a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.”

6. mcat says:

They should have Billy Boyd as a guest star! Billy and John played off of each other so well in Return of the King. Or even better, Sir Ian McKellen, and maybe Walter could knock Sir Ian’s character over the head with a stick for some reason.

• valerie says:

Just so long as none of them pour oil on themselves and burn in a pyre! (Every time I see John Noble play Walternate, I can’t help but see him as Denethor – but with much better hair!)

7. DL says:

Dourif is a great actor, but a la the original breakdown I would have loved to have seen someone along the lines of Beat Takeshi (aka Takeshi Kitano) for the role. Not sure if he speaks English though. :P

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I am somewhat surprised that Hiroyuki Sanada (from LOST’s final season) didn’t end up with the role, especially with all of FRINGE’s other LOST connections….

• bluefan23 says:

No kidding! That guy was awesome. It’s a shame they killed him off as quickly as they did – or perhaps that they did not introduce him sooner…hmm…

8. Lauren says:

I think dominic Monaghan and Billy boyd would be great additions to the fringe cast.

9. Jen says:

Brad Dourif has been bring the quality Crazy since he played in Ragtime. I was, however hoping he would be portraying Olivia’s dad when I first read he’d been cast. That ould’ve rocked!

10. Michelle says:

Denethor and Wormtongue? My two favorite LotR crazies in one episode of Fringe? Thank the gods! ;)

11. Aries4 says:

This is an excellent addition to the show! Brad Dourif could very well go down as the current era’s Vincent Price. Although Jeffrey Combs is giving him a run for his money! haha

12. Dreamrose says:

Brad Dourif has a reputation for playing insane, creepy, damaged and/or downright evil characters. I remember spotting him as the villain in Myst III: Exile! He also had a memorable turn on Babylon 5 as the mind-wiped serial killer/monk.

• Maggie says:

You got killed with a rock hammer, too, huh?
      Gotta love Myst III: Exile.
      He was on Star Trek Voyager, too, as a really sweet Betazoid that could be a killer, but they calmed him down by making him a gardener. :)

13. Gladhappy says:

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains. The stains become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

14. Jen Bee says:

Reunion? Not that Wormtongue and Denethor ever met in the trilogy. Still, grand stuff.

15. El Gacho says:

I think it would so cool if they had him reprise his role (red-stained lips and all) as “Piter De Vries” from Dune!

16. Cherie says:

Please don’t tell me I’m the only Death Machine fan on here… :-) For me, that was the movie where he went from “Hey, it’s That Guy!” to “Hey, it’s Brad Dourif!”

17. Drew says:

My guess is Olivia’s father, whom we have not heard since his dropping of cards at her house.

18. AFriendlyNerd says:

It’s weird that you call him “Deadwood’s Brad Dourif” because while that’s an excellent performance, he’s probably more well known to Fringe fans as “Star Trek: Voyager’s Brad Dourif” or “Dune’s Brad Dourif” or a few other memorable roles.

19. JeffDJ says:

The casting of Dourif is great news! In addition to the other TV/movie roles mentioned already, I thought he was at his demented best as the Gemini Killer in “The Exorcist III”.

20. deedeedragons says:

Those early X-Files episodes is some of the best 90’s TV.

21. bodafutz says:

I can’t believe nobody has yet mentioned One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest (1975) in which Brad Dourif played a real crazy. Very memorable performance!
    I never missed an episode of Deadwood, and felt his performances were among the best on the show, especially the one extended prayer to God just as Swearengen was killing the minister, who was very very ill.
    I surely look forward to his appearance in Fringe, which I also never miss, if I can help it, despite the crazy scheduling it has been experiencing.
    What the hell gives with schedule programmers these days?

22. BHM1304 says:

God this list is limited in scope. How about his most famous movie role? 1975, “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” Dourif was “Billy Bibbit”.

23. Rush says:

Dourif has been in so many varied projects it’s a bit limiting to call him “Deadwood’s.” He’s a great character actor. Fanboys will know him by name.

24. Steve says:

Dourif is a complete professional with a flair for the truly creepy.

Great choice.

25. Louise says:

WHAT!!! FRINGE: Tread lightly with your use of Brad Dourif’s talents please. I’ve never been a fan of movies like “Chucky,” “The Eyes of Laura Mars,” or the “Halloween” series. That’s not my kind of thrill. LORD OF THE RINGS, altogether different – that was a fantastic series. So on that vein, he’s fine with me. A little creepy or scary is okay for me, but don’t over-do it or I’ll change the station. FRINGE is my favorite show and it has been fine just as it is. I’ll keep an open-mind and I deem the choice a fair one, but… be very careful… or you may lose viewers with this choice if it’s misused.

26. Meghan says:

I hope that he’s supposed to be Olivia’s step-father. Ausiello mentioned something about her step-father being a villian in this season, but perhaps he was alluding to his presence in the flashback episode. I hope that’s not the case and we get to see a showdown between the two.

27. Wayne says:

he also played a mind wiped monk on a babylon 5 episode…….