Dallas Scoop: Housewives Vet Is Bobby's Wife

Brenda Strong appears to have a Wisteria Lane-South Fork commute ahead of her, having been cast on TNT’s Dallas.

An original cast member of ABC’s yet-to-be-renewed Desperate Housewives (where she narrates as the late Mary Alice Young), Strong has landed the role of Bobby Ewing’s new wife, Ann, TVLine has learned.

TNT’s Dallas Adds Jesse Metcalfe and Veronica Mars Grad

During the original Dallas series’ run, Bobby (played by Patrick Duffy) went through two wives — Pam (twice!), and later April Stevens (though that union got snuffed on the honeymoon when the bride got, well, snuffed).

J.R.’s younger brother also had relationships here and there with Jenna Wade and, to an extent, Sue Ellen Ewing (Linda Gray).

Josh Henderson Saddles Up For New Dallas, Larry Hagman Officially On Board

Duffy, Gray and Larry Hagman (J.R.) are all set to reprise their roles on TNT’s continuation of the Ewing saga, which also stars two other Housewives alums — Jesse Metcalfe (as Bobby and Pam’s son, Chris) and Josh Henderson (as J.R.’s son John Ross) — and Jordana Brewster (as a ranch cook’s daughter caught in a triangle with the aforementioned lads).

1. Ed says:

I wonder if this is bad news for the fate of Desperate Housewives? Or if they’ll have someone else take over the narrating reigns from Mary alice, Teri hatcher perhaps?

• Jason S says:

My guess is that narrating gig only takes a few hours one day a week and she has free time to do anything else. The Dallas part will not be a central part either as the show is supposed to focus on John Ross and Christopher.

2. Templar says:

Any plans to bring back Steve Kanaley as Ray Krebs?

• Caio says:

Ray ( and Lucy to a lesser extent ) appears briefly on a party in the pilot script. But since the roles are sô small, i don’t know if both actors will accept to come back for the pilot

3. Dave says:

at the risk of sounding like a TV nerd … Bobby technically went through three marriages … two to Pam and one to April. :o)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I know, wasn’t sure how to phrase that. I just took another crack at it, should be clearer now.

4. Cassie says:

In my opinion, Marc Cherry dropped the ball with Mary Alice anyway. During her narration in the first season, she would refer to Paul and Zack as “my husband” and “my/our son” and refer to the other housewives as “my friends”. This would at least acknowledge that this wasn’t just a narration voice but someone from the street. She hasn’t said anything in that regard in a very long time. Rex, Karl, Edie are other characters that have “crossed over” and could now provide the narration if the show is renewed.

Brenda Strong was not being utilized, she’s right to persue other opportunities and I look forward to seeing her on “Dallas” : )

5. boidiva02 says:

I wish they’d bring back Pam and Lucy as well!

• Confidential says:

I agree on bringing Pam back. It does not make any sense to me otherwise. Besides JR, Bobby and Pam’s relationship also added to the show’s success.

6. boidiva02 says:

just dawned on me! they should bring back Gary Ewing and Valene too! Granted, they were on “Knot’s Landing” but they started out on Dallas! I’d love to see what their kids are up too! what were the twins names? Betsy and Bobby, i think?

7. boidiva02 says:

• Not Daniel says:

They can’t bring Gary and Valene into it unless they ignore several seasons’ worth of Knots Landing continuity. Their son Bobby was named after Gary’s brother Bobby after Bobby’s “death” on DALLAS, and although this was later retconned out of existence (as part of the infamous “dream season”) on DALLAS, the producers of KNOT’S decided to let things stand…so technically, Bobby was still dead on KNOT’S LANDING even after he came back on DALLAS.

8. Jason S says:

I think they should bring Donna Mills as Abby as JR’s new wife. Or are they going to put him with Sue Ellen again?

9. Rhonda says:

Sue Ellen and JR are better as equals outside of marriage. This is the 21stCentury and we will not tolerate Sue Ellen being JRs victim again.
    Ray, Gary, and Valean would be interesting. Abbey should stay in California. She was too trampy.

Although Ibwill miss Miss Ellie, Jock, Theyvwere the class on the show.

When is this happening?

10. deedeedragons says:

That’s good casting.

11. Scott says:

Now they just gotta bring Victoria Principal back as Pam. Doesn’t matter how

• yukoner says:

AGREED! They could simply say that the ‘Pam’ that met with Bobby was an imposter hired by Pam to tell Bobby to go on with his life… Absolutely agree that Pam has to be brought back!

12. Swimmomma says:

LOVE that Brenda Strong will be on screen! And she will probably keep both gigs since TNT shows are usually a shorter season and off season from regular network!

13. Jeri says:

The casting of Jesse Metcalfe is bad news for Dallas. Casting such a cheesy actor doesn’t hold out much hope for the show.

14. Thom says:

I agree with many, many of the posts. I am thrilled with the cast…I just hope that they do give Bobby, JR, and Sue Ellen interesting story lines of their own and not regulate them to the back too much. Also…while I have no problem with Bobby starting being married to someone else..at it’s heart Dallas started as Romeo and Juliet with Bobby and Pam and while they both “died”, as R and J do, they should, if at all possible, end up together.

15. Roslyn Lake says:

Yay! Loved Dallas, more from Brenda Strong is the icing on the cake (have always loved her and thought she was wasted doing just a voice) Finger’s crossed for this Dallas will, I lost interest in DH after the 1st season, and have been missing having a good night time ‘soap.’