TVLine Items: Couric Exiting Evening News, ThunderCats PromHo!, More TV News to Know

Former Today show sweetheart Katie Couric has reportedly made the decision to vacate her anchor post at CBS Evening News after just five years.

While both the network and reps for Couric have yet to confirm the news, a CBS bigwig tells the AP that the journalist has chosen not to renew her Evening News contract when it expires in June, and is currently in talks with, among others, ex-NBC exec Jeff Zucker to launch a syndicated talk show in 2012.

Couric confirmed rumors of maybe next tackling a daytime talk show in a Monday interview with the New York Times, saying, “[Zucker and I] talk a lot and, yes, we’ve been discussing the possibilities. That’s true.”

The 54-year-old became the first female to solely anchor a nightly network newscast back in 2006, but since its launch, Evening News has consistently struggled with low ratings.

Ready for more of today’s TV news? Well…

• Warner Bros. Animation debuted the kickass new ThunderCats trailer at WonderCon this weekend, and in case you weren’t lucky enough to attend the festivities, we’ve got the promo for you right here:

• Former NBC chairman Ben Silverman is reteaming with the Peacock to launch Fashion Star, a reality competition series hosted by supermodel Elle Macpherson. Not unlike Project Runway, Fashion Star will feature 12 unknowns competing for a multi-million dollar contract to create their own clothing line.

• Bravo has renewed the Andy Cohen-helmed late-night talk show Watch What Happens: Live for a fifth season. The series’ 100th episode airs Thursday, April 7, following the premiere of The Real Housewives of New York.

• Oxygen announced three new series in development: Lost Angels, which follows the life of Grease icon Oliva Newton John’s daughter, Chloe Lattanzi; My Post Grad Life, which details the transition period between graduating from college and joining the real world; and Maids of Drama, the tale of out of control bridemaids.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. Katy says:

Just what we need…another talk show; another “project runway” type show…Are there any new ideas out there…somewhere…anywhere

• Linda says:

Those were my thoughts exactly when I read the article….not that I’m home through the day to watch talk shows, but when I’m home sick I prefer watching soaps rather than talk shows or game shows. Pretty soon there won’t be any soaps around to watch. Is anyone else getting tired of all the reality shows on TV??

• Tom says:

How about a reality show about people competing to create their own reality show! They can call it A Reality Star is Born…wait, i think they did that already….

2. Megalion says:

I’m all for bringing back the Thundercats, but KEEP THE ORIGINAL LOOK. The images of the characters had… CHARACTER.

Do not want these bland anime cookie cutter faces.

• Steve says:

The original Thundercats had costumes that were dated and cheesy. I mean really, you had most of them running around in the equivalent of swimsuits. These new costumes have more of a realistic look to them at least and seem to provide more protection than the originals did

And if you want to talk about cookie cutter, how about the fact that both of the tiger-based Thundercats in the original series looked exactly alike (aside from their color).

I could easily tell all the characters apart in this new trailer. And if you’ve seen the promo artwork of the new version of Panthro, you’d realize that your “cookie cutter” argument has no weight.

• The Ween says:

Did you hear that Lion-O is going to be voiced by Will Friedle of Boy Meets World fame? Awesome!!!

3. Crittle says:

So what’s the story with the ThunderCats? It looks to me like the Cats enslaved the Lizards and the lizards decided to rebel (like many enslaved do)? So the Lizards are the bad guys because they decided to fight back?

HOOoooooooooo!

4. ella says:

OMG – a series on Chloe Lattanzi. That girl is a scary trainwreck, and I can’t wait to see it. She is frightening. She’s had as much plastic surgery as joan rivers and she’s about 25. Can’t wait!

5. shamangrrl says:

I love the Thundercats, and I have no problem with the look of the series being updated. However, I don’t care for the current look. In making their faces more human, they’ve taken away their character, especially since they’re supposed to be cats. Not humans. I’ll probably watch, but I really don’t care for human-looking Thundercats.