Ratings: Killing Looks Bloody Good, Kennedys Sets Reelz Record, Borgias Opens Strong

AMC’s well-reviewed The Killing got off to a solid start, drawing 2.7 million viewers with its first Sunday-night broadcast and amassing 4.6 million across two airings, Variety reports. As AMC debuts go, that’s second only to last Halloween’s The Walking Dead, which drew 5.6 mil.

Over on Reelz, the premiere of the Kennedys miniseries drew 1.9 million viewers — a record for that channel, says EW — while Showtime’s The Borgias totaled 1.49 million total viewers across two airings, besting Shameless‘ own opener (1.33 mil) to give the pay cabler a seven-year high for a drama debut.

Elswehere on Sunday , CBS’ broadcast of the Academy of Country Music Awards delivered the night’s largest audience (nearly 13 million viewers) and best demos (a 3.3 rating, up 3 percent year-over-year). Among the casualties, ABC’s long-MIA Desperate Housewives, for one, suffered an 18 percent hit in the demos and mustered just 8.8 million viewers.

A few more Sunday highlights:

* In the 8 o’clock hour, ABC’s Secret Millionaire (9.7 mil/2.6) dipped 4 percent, while NBC’s Next Great Restaurant (3.9 mil/1.5) inched up 8 percent.

* Celebrity Apprentice averaged 8.5 million viewers and matched its season-high demo rating (3.1).

* A second installment of Dana Delany’s Body of Proof gave ABC its largest non-Oscars, Sunday-at-10 audience (8.44 mil) since December 12, though the series was down 35 percent from its Tuesday premiere.

What did you check out this Sunday evening?

1. Lee Harvey says:

I watched Clapton and Winwood on PBS.

2. Tracey says:

Army Wives (Lifetime) then Body of Proof(ABC)

3. Janae says:

I loved The Killing!

4. DL says:

The Killing for me. Mirielle Enos is great, but I’d say Michelle Forbes stole the show with her heart-wrenching performance.

• Mick says:

I totally agree! I’ve been a big fan of Michele’s since her time on Star Trek: Next Generation and Battle Star Galactica. I’m glad that this show focused more on the emotions of the parents, while maintaining the the balance of the investigation, I was a little disappointed to read an interview with Michele Forbes. She mentioned that each episode is a day in the investigation, and at the end of the 12 episode arc, we will know who the killer is, but the Larsens may not be in Season 2. Each season focuses on a new murder, and a new case.

5. Chris Shifty says:

I tuned into The Killing, haven’t missed an AMC premiere yet!

It didn’t hook me like Breaking Bad or The Walking Dead did or exceed my expectations like Mad Men did but it was better than Rubicon.

I’ll be tuning in next week and hopefully the remainder of the season to to find out who the killer is along with the other twists that will come up. Haven’t watched the Danish series but hopefully the show gets better.

Have The Borgias Tivoed, have to watch that but as of now The Killing is my only Sunday night show!

6. Christine says:

Watched The Killing and really enjoyed it. Afterwards, I upgraded it to season pass on my tivo. Hopefully it stays strong. The acting of the Larsens was very emotional. Well done.

7. Amber says:

I did watch The Killing because of the support drummed up for it on this website, but I felt very let down. It didn’t nearly live up to the hype. It felt like a very cheap production, and I’m guessing it was really filmed in Vancouver, not Seattle, since Vancouver is the cheap place to film movies and TV shows. The music felt very 80s crime drama, which got on my nerves pretty quick, and I thought the whole thing was very slow. I can’t believe they’re going to stretch this out over more episodes. I found myself wishing they would just get to the point. I might give it another try, but I’m not sure I will stick with it. With Seattle being my hometown, I would have loved if they had really filmed it in Seattle and I could have at least seen some of my old haunts on TV. That would have kept me entertained.

I WOULD have watched The Borgias and Mildred Pierce if I had pay channels, which I don’t, but I will probably find them to watch somewhere else. I do love Jeremy Irons, and I love costume dramas. Just a plug for Mildred Pierce here, the first part was EXCELLENT. For a movie set in the 1930s, it feels extremely relevant to our modern day times and our current economic crisis and the problem we have in America with our different social classes.

• ger says:

Actually, Amber, Seattle doesn’t have near the film industry infrastructure that Vancouver has.

And if you lived in Vancouver you could have seen the Borgias for free – it’s on a basic cable channel up here ;)

• Amber says:

I actually have often wished in my life I was Canadian. =) And I do love British Columbia, I just haven’t visited there in about 20 years. So I meant no offense towards Vancouverians.

8. rac76 says:

I watched ‘The Borgias’. Overall, it was very entertaining which made it enjoyable to watch. Do miss ‘Shameless’, but I think that this will tie me over for a while.

9. Jake says:

The Killing was great! cant wait for next week. i think the reason why some people might have found it slow is because each episode is one day of the investigation of the girls murder.

10. John Berggren says:

I’m wondering if there was an equal drop in Faux News viewership during the mini-series on ReelzChannel (I still can’t beleive that’s a REALChannel)

11. Carrie says:

What about “Breakout Kings”? I like that show, but I have no idea how it’s doing in the ratings.

12. raiza says:

Really liked The Killing. Great cast. Has same atmosphere of The X-files(Vancouver).

13. Thom says:

The Killing was excellent

14. cobby says:

The Killing was excellent. What is the actor’s name who is replacing the female lead? I’m not familiar with any of these actors except for the Larsons!