Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Grey's, Sons of Anarchy, House, Modern Family and More

Got the Monday blahs? Let’s see if I can perk up the start of your week with a flurry of scoops, teases and sound bites from some of TV’s hottest shows and stars.

Oh, Henry | Be forewarned, Grey’s Anatomy fans, because this reads like a big spoiler for anyone who has been digging the Teddy/Henry MOC (Marriage of Convenience). In light of what TVLine teased about the return of James Tupper’s shrink character and an offer he’ll make Teddy, many have speculated that the ABC drama is paving the way for Scott Foley to exit stage left should his CBS pilot get picked up. That however is not the case – which is not to say Henry’s a keeper. “I love him and would keep him forever if I could,” series creator Shonda Rhimes told us, “but on our show if you’re not a doctor there’s not a lot for you to do.” Foley will be playing a cardio god on his prospective CBS series, and that’s a little something we call irony.

Wilde About House | I checked out the next new episode of Fox’s House (airing April 11), which revolves around the return of Olivia Wilde’s Thirteen. We already got you speculating on why the gorgeous doc has been behind bars for much of her absence, and I’m not about to spoil that surprising reveal. Instead, I will share that House’s road trip with his onetime underling coincides with what would have been the first anniversary of his and Cuddy’s coupling (he himself offers up with no small amount of regret on his face). Also, the extremely entertaining episode ends with House saying the very nicest thing he could say to Thirteen (HINT: It’s three little words, but not those three). Back at the hospital, Foreman discovers that Taub has been “playing doctor” with not one but two lovely ladies. But seriously, back to Thirteen: Oh, how the TV screen has missed her.

Good Sons | Speaking of jailbirds: Sons of Anarchy creator Kurt Sutter confirms that when the FX series revs up Season 4 this fall, some 14 months will have elapsed since the SAMCRO boys got sent to the slammer. Not coincidentally, that’s when they’re eligible for parole, meaning the must have very good bad boys behind bars. “Yes, yes, they’re behaving,” Sutter reports. “And everybody comes out alive, I’ll tell you that much.” Sutter also fielded a burning question that many have had regarding the “long con” that got the Russians and Agent Stahl off the club’s back while simultaneously shaving their prison sentence: When exactly did Jax loop in everyone on the “deal” he made with Stahl? “It happened early,” the show boss says. “There was a vote on it right after he made the decision to do it.”

Kaley Cuoco On Her Scary Fall, Penny’s Big Bang Cold Streak and a Shaken ‘Groove Thing’

Big Bling Theory | First, purrfectly sad news: The Big Bang Theory’s Kaley Cuoco was about to tape a “Soft Kitty” encore when I Q&A’d her last week, but that scene has since been snipped. The good news: This Thursday’s episode promises to shake up the Bang gang dynamic when Howard seeks to take his relationship with Bernadette to the next level. “It’s so funny because if you think about [a possible engagement], you’re like, ‘Oh my god, it’s too soon!’” Cuoco notes. “But no, we’re almost in Season 5.” All told, she says, “It’s a very good episode.”

Screened & Heard | ABC’s Modern Family returns April 13 with big belly laughs. The storylines concern a marvelously mortifying ad that Phil has the family van shrink-wrapped with, Cameron evolving into “Bob Fussy” as the interim director of Manny’s school chorus (“Years from now, these kids will fondly recall how I Sondheimized them!”), and Jay getting more than he bargained for when Gloria urges him to bond with his brother Donnie (Wiseguy’s Jonathan Banks)…. FX’s Lights Out this Tuesday wraps up its run with the awaited title fight between Lights and D-Row. In my opinion, the series ends exactly where it should. Given how it ends, I would not have been interested to watch Season 2…. Some have declared Law & Order: LA down for the count, but having seen the first revamped episode (NBC, April 11), I wouldn’t be surprised if the series – now fronted by Alfred Molina – gets off the mat to go another round.

Comments (71)

• Can’t wait to see Olivia Wilde! Dying to know whether after her big movie experience she mastered a new facial expression. Kinda got bored with her first two. Yay!

Comment by Andy – April 4, 2011 09:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Never start sentences with I or My. Wondering why. Don’t know if related to texting habits. Will ask friends if they’ve encountered it.

Comment by Tego Livi – April 5, 2011 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even though there is not any major news that we haven’t heard before about Thirteen, I will thank you Matt, for providing this scoop. Because I was one of the people that had been complaining about getting Huddy news all the time (even post-breakup), so seeing some different (and interesting) scoop for once was very pleasant.

And indeed, I also believe that the TV screen has missed Thirteen :)

Comment by un-holy – April 4, 2011 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot wait for House to return! This three week hiatus is painful. One more week to go! I cannot wait to see House and Thirteen and a potato shooting contest.

Comment by Allison N – April 4, 2011 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so excited to see 13 back on House, I think I will go back to sleep. What a bore.

Comment by Samantha – April 4, 2011 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s Howard going to say? “Bernadette, I love you. Will you marry me and move in her with me and mommy?” Should be interesting.

Comment by Sara – April 4, 2011 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn! I wish there was a way to make Scott Foley stay and work on Grey’s! I love him and I love Grey’s!

Comment by Andrea – April 4, 2011 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, yay, Olivia Wilde is back! So now for one week we can completely forget about the fact that the writers ruined the show this past season. Fantastic.

Comment by David – April 4, 2011 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we have Huddy instead on 13 please?!?! Who cares about 13?!?!

Comment by blah – April 4, 2011 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • YOU want huddy and YOU don’t care about 13! I’m very happy that the huddy crap is over and for 13 return so speak for yourself.
      Jeez, these huddies are annoying

Comment by Jill – April 4, 2011 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who cares about Huddy!? Thank God that’s over! Now I can begin the long journey of repressing that whole horrible storyline. Hopefully the return of Thirteen will help me do that.

Comment by Ralphie – April 4, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good more 13; 0 Wilson, 0 Cuddy; equals 0 me.
      Thanks for information.

Comment by youuuuuuu – April 4, 2011 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I like 13 but i want House and Cuddy back.

Comment by Lena – April 4, 2011 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the Sons scoop!

Comment by Ava – April 4, 2011 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So we get an entire episode of House/Thirteen and Wilson and Cuddy are MIA. Yes, that’s exactly what fans tune in for.

Comment by Matthew – April 4, 2011 09:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sons of Anarchy scoop!!! Yeah!

Comment by Naazneen – April 4, 2011 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House ep dedicated to 13. How boring. Show just gets worse and worse. If you’re going to give an episode to one character at least give it to someone worth while and that can actually act.

Comment by Karen – April 4, 2011 09:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldnt agree with you more , Jennifer, Amber and Anne Dudek, can all act and in my opinion are far prettier too , I was sick to the teeth of her being shoved down our throats every episode ,it revolved around her for most of season 5 and 6 , I was glad to the see the back of her , I thought they were going to change the name at one point to 13 MD ,Hugh was in the episodes less and less , at least this season he has been on the screen a lot more , whether it be with Cuddy or not , I dont care as long as Hugh has screen time and is paired with an ACTOR with substance , and not just eye candy for the boys . x

Comment by marie – April 4, 2011 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree that Amber, Ann and Jennifer were better actresses. No way is Jennifer Morrison as pretty as Olivia Wilde. Sorry.

Comment by Dan – April 4, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m a heterosexual female and Olivia’s Wilde’s appearance in no way makes up for her lack of acting ability. The show just makes it even more obvious by giving her episodes she just can’t handle.

Agree that Jennifer Morrison, Anne Dudek and Amber Tamblyn are all better actresses. Why do the producers keep getting rid of the good female actresses?

Glad having her back make you happy, Matt, but it makes me even less inclined to watch House.

Comment by Kate – April 4, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • olivia wilde is definitely prettier than jenifer morrison. amber tamblyn is the best actress between the three.

Comment by Jake G. – April 4, 2011 06:39 PM PDT
  • Scott Foley makes Grey’s Anatomy a MUCH better show. Loretta Devine as the Chief’s wife has always had a huge impact on the show, even though she’s not a doctor or a “regular” on the show. Why couldn’t Scott’s character, Henry, be the same way? Also, Meredith’s and Lexie’s father is an important character that pops up routinely, even though he’s not a doctor. There’s a way Shonda Rhimes could make it work, if she wanted to. And again, the show would only be BETTER for it!

Comment by Amy – April 4, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is about time one of our favorite geeks was in a really serious relationship. Though poor Howard will probably screw it up.

Comment by Amy – April 4, 2011 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I missed 13, glad she is finally back and please, tell me I won’t have to endure more huddy drama! I can’t stand huddy/Cuddy and I was waiting for a huddy/Cuddy free episode!

Comment by Jill – April 4, 2011 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There is no Cuddy nor Wilson in next week’s episode.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – April 4, 2011 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks for your reply :)
        No Cuddy, I’m going to enjoy this episode!

Comment by Jill – April 4, 2011 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I am totally with you! No Cuddy, no pain. Also House went all EMO again, I don’t like that either. It’s time to get rid of him, along with Cuddy and Wilson. Taub and Thirteen are the only characters worth watching! The rest may disappear so Jill and I can enjoy our show. Take note, TPTB.

Comment by Andy – April 4, 2011 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Learn to read, silly huddy fangirl: the only one I dislike is Cuddy and I can’t stand the huddy crap. Got it? I don’t like what they did to Wilson by reducing him to a huddy cheerleader but I still like him and now that the huddy is over I hope to have more good scenes with him.
            So the only one who need to disappear is Cuddy. Is it clear now?

Comment by Jill – April 4, 2011 02:07 PM PDT
        • Me too, I could care less of Cuddy! I won’t see Wilson but hopefully Chase will be there

Comment by Laura – April 5, 2011 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well since you are a Jennifer Morrison fan i understand you hate Cuddy. Anyway it´s a good thing that House loves Cuddy so much. We can´t say the same about Cameron XD

Comment by Lena – April 4, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Care to tell me where I mentioned JM? Anyway, nope, I’m not a JM fan and I disliked Cameron more than Cuddy. One of the reasons I like 13 is that she is not a romantic interest for House and she doesn’t spend all her time showing her ass and breast at House

Comment by Jill – April 4, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Jill, sweetie, all is clear now! You are as precious as articulate, and don’t get me started on your superior intelligence, so beautifully expressed in writing. You win hands down. “Silly Huddy fangirls” are quietly crying in the corner all enlightened. I am sure if House’s TPTB could read your comments, they’d feel especially proud to have people like you understand and appreciate their creative efforts. You go girl!

Comment by @Jill – April 4, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Poor idiot, english is not my language! And i bet that “Squeee huddy sex, we want huddy sex, huddy kiss, huddy baby” is something tptb must be really proud!

Comment by Jill – April 4, 2011 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yep, that’s what I meant. Thank you.

Comment by @Jill – April 4, 2011 04:16 PM PDT
          • Don’t waste your time with huddies, they’re rude and obnoxious and the one you were dealing with just proved that. Ignore them

Comment by @Jill – April 4, 2011 05:48 PM PDT
          • Oh yes. The “huddy” Jill was “dealing with” is most definitely rude and obnoxious, just compare his and Jill’s posts. You are right, it proves a lot. As well as putting labels on people whose opinion you do not share and employing generalization to strengthen your argument. Where ignorance is bliss, ’tis folly to be wise.

Comment by @@Jill – April 4, 2011 07:20 PM PDT
  • Is Sons of Anarchy not returning in the summer? That’d be too bad!

Comment by Adriaan – April 4, 2011 09:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SOA always premieres in the fall/September.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – April 4, 2011 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Strange, I really thought it was a summer show. It’s getting harder to keep track, guess I’ve reached the point where maybe I’m just watching too much TV! (Who am I kidding- no I haven’t) Anyway, thanks!

Comment by Adriaan – April 4, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Glad 13 makes it back to House this week… the show has been worse for her absence. Glad to see the usual haters have showed up in this thread too… a House thread wouldn’t be the same without your grousing!

Comment by XK – April 4, 2011 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I for one will miss Amber Tamblyn’s character. I never enjoyed 13 very much. I just don’t find Olivia Wilde to be a good actress, especially when compared to the other actors on “House” like Hugh Laurie and Robert Sean Leonard.

Comment by Gwen – April 4, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t forget Jesse Spencer. He’s a good actor, too, but TPTB have chosen to stick Chase in the background for occasional comic relief. He used to be a great character, as was Cameron, but they’ve been shoved aside for Everything-We-Never-Wanted-to-Know-About-Cuddy, and “Huddy,” and now for Thirteen. I’ve had enough of Thirteen and her stupid mysteries; I hope she leaves permanently soon. To make matters worse, we’ll be seeing LESS of Wilson???

Comment by Mike C. – April 4, 2011 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Taub again? Please, enough of the little one, is he competing with House in the bedroom contest-not a chance. Welcome back 13! :)

Comment by tahina45 – April 4, 2011 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for the L&O LA news. I was really liking this show and I am glad they are being given another shot.

Comment by shani – April 4, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Since we’ve already had a 13-centric episode entitled “Lucky 13″ I’m not really looking forward to this episode. No offense to OW as a person, but her acting skills leave something to be desired.

Comment by KC – April 4, 2011 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Most of Season 5 was 13-centric. It’s like getting sick on something because you overindulged; the writers overdid Thirteen and I got sick of her. (Then they did the same for Cuddy.) Apparently, we are supposed to feel sorry for her by the end of this episode. If she has a week to live, THEN I might feel sorry for her.

Comment by Mike C. – April 4, 2011 05:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so mad they cut soft kitty!!! Sheldon & Penny scenes are the most entertaining!

Comment by Kelly – April 4, 2011 11:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guess on the three little words House will say to Thirteen: “I missed you.”

Comment by klay15 – April 4, 2011 11:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • *BZZZZT!* Wrong :)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – April 4, 2011 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • House tells 13: “THE BITCH IS BACK!”

did you forget to count to 4 matt?

Comment by Tony – April 4, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • “Please come back.”

Comment by Alex – April 4, 2011 12:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Maybe the 3 words are him actually calling her HER NAME.

Comment by Tego Livi – April 5, 2011 08:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House: Yawn. 13 is hardly a popular character and having a 13 centric episode when Cuddy and Wilson aren’t around is a big mistake. Will definitely skip that one.

I do love the scoop on TBBT though, thanks for that. That show keeps getting better and better.

Comment by Xphile – April 4, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am so ready for Kim Raver’s character on GA (Teddy)to GTFO of the series after last episode the musical she was hideous !! please Teddy go to the parking lot of no return you can take McShrink with you and i wish Owen follow your steps !!

Comment by gappjunkie – April 4, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you read my mind? LOL
      Teddy and Owen need to go back to Iraq or whatever and if Teddy isn’t around then McShrink won’t come back. Teddy + Henry + Owen + McShrink – GTFO!!!

Comment by julie – April 4, 2011 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Wrong ! Owen needs to stay, him and Cristina are hotness but the other ones definitely need to go !

Comment by mel – April 5, 2011 05:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • more 13, 0 Wilson, 0 Cuddy equals 0 me for episode 18. I have another options.

Comment by nereida – April 4, 2011 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sons of Anarchy, good to know that the 14 months the deal gave them has already played out, so not a whole season of prison shows. Abel will now be 2 or close and Tara will have had her baby, boy or girl ? Will Unser be returning in any form or has his cancer beaten him ? I am sure by now Opie and Lana will also have had a child. The big question is who is to be the new pain in the butt that all the others were killed off ?

Comment by Laurie – April 4, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry guys having 13 back doesn’t exactly make the episode appealing. To be honest I haven’t exactly missed her one note acting (usually involving a grimance and wide eyes) or her character. I am also underwhelmed by the fact that there will be another side story devoted to Taub and his love life. (Is it just me or has there actually been more script time devoted this season to the Taubs lovelife than was given to Cuddy and House? Certainly felt like it.) Honestly this sounds like a snooze fest to me guys.

I am sure Hugh will do his usual excellent job but you would think that for their 150th episode the show runners would do something special or at least involve the House originals Robert and Lisa, Jesse and Omar in the show but no, we get Thirteen and Taub.

Way to thrill an already wavering audience guys. Count me out.

Comment by Freyah – April 4, 2011 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dan JM is a thousand times more beautiful than OW and more elegant

Comment by John – April 4, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sheesh, an entire episode about Thirteen. And House trying to figure something out he could look up in about 1 minute. I can’t believe that Taub is officially not the most boring character on the show now. We finally got rid of that awful House/Cuddy storyline, and as a reward for sitting through that the audience gets an hour of Thirteen. Why do I keep watching this show?

Comment by Mindy – April 4, 2011 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad Scott Foley may be leaving; he’s the thing that made Teddy interesting at last.

Even worse for a House/Thirteen road trip. I don’t mind the lack of Cuddy because she’s been so overused this season but Thirteen is a character the writers love more than the audience.

If Wilson isn’t around because RSL is on Broadway, how about finally giving Chase something real to do. The last Chase story was Dibala more than a year and a half ago and JS is an actor who deserves better.

Comment by Jill – April 4, 2011 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks for the heads up, Matt. That’s a House episode I’ll be skipping. My tolerance for Thirteen was used up in season four. Every time she leaves I keep hoping it will be for good and every time the show disappoints me again.

Does anyone really believe Taub is a sucessful ladies man? Sheldon on Private Practice because he’s a genuinely nice guy but not Taub.

Comment by Kate – April 4, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, Matt, I think your enthusiasm over 13 returning has more to do with her looks than her acting talents. I have not missed her one bit and based on the comments here, it seems I am not alone. To add insult to injury, we have no Wilson or Cuddy which are requirements in every episode for me.

Comment by Kyle – April 4, 2011 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No soft kitty, how sad! But on the upside Howard’s proposal to Bernadette has got to be hillarious. Bernadette better put her foot down and tell him mommy can’t live with them. :D

Comment by lace – April 4, 2011 06:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 5 years! Penny and Leonard should be getting engaged. Those two had better stories when they were together.

Comment by Donna-Marie – April 5, 2011 04:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, I like 13 and despise huddy, can’t wait to see this one!
    I bet that House asked her to go back working for him.

Comment by Laura – April 5, 2011 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Positive or not, House always gets the most posts everywhere. That tells you, Huddy, non-huddies, Hilsons, Hamerons and 13-this show is the greatest! Keep them coming.

Comment by raiza – April 5, 2011 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “But seriously, back to Thirteen: Oh, how the TV screen has missed her.”

I haven’t. Olivia Wilde still can’t act her way out of a paper box. I’m going to miss Amber Tamblyn.

Comment by eviltwit – April 6, 2011 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • actually, I like Teddy’s character, and her storyline with Henry..

Comment by margine – April 6, 2011 06:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I so called the SoA time lapse to my boyfriend. There was nothing remotely interesting about watching Tara be pregnant alone, and dealing with taking Abel to Gemma all the time. Will be interesting to see the kid. But I will definitely be angry at Sutter if he goes ahead and makes all the prospects be full members because none of the crew actually know them or if they want them in their crew. Can’t freaking wait!!!!
    Yes, I am a freak, and we literally just loop SoA on our dvd player all night long, so I know all the discrepancies and whatnot. Like the 5 different kids that play Abel. It’s annoying as hell. At least he’ll be 2, or a few months older, and they won’t get away with switching out skinny babies with chubby ones, ones with hair and ones without etc. Haha, my son would make a good Abel, he’s so blonde and big for his age :D

Comment by SoALover – April 8, 2011 11:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post