American Idol: What Should the Top 9 Sing for 'Rock and Roll Hall of Fame' Week?

It’s “Rock and Roll Hall of Fame” Week on American Idol, which means we’ve got at least some slim hope that Wednesday night’s performance show won’t consist entirely of saccharine ballads. To that end, I’ve brainstormed my dream set list for the Top 9 — including uptempo tracks for Pia and Jacob, a tonal shift for Scotty, and something that will allow Casey to break out the upright bass. Check out my picks, then peruse an alphabetical listing of the entire Hall of Fame roster, head to the comments, and post your own song suggestions.

Slezak’s Dream Set List for Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Week
Scotty McCreery: Roy Orbison “Dream Baby
Haley Reinhart: Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers’ “Don’t Do Me Like That
Lauren Alaina: The Beach Boys’ “God Only Knows
Paul McDonald: The Pretenders’ “Middle of the Road
Pia Toscano: Prince’s “I Wanna Be Your Lover” (I know, I know, she already called dibs on “River Deep Mountain High,” but I can still dream of Disco Pia, okay?)
Stefano Langone: The Who’s “I Can See for Miles
James Durbin: David Bowie’s “Life on Mars
Casey Abrams: Ruth Brown’s “Tears Keep Tumbling Down
Jacob Lusk: Talking Heads’ “Burning Down the House

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. Leslie says:

Now, now, Michael…James Durbin doing Life On Mars? Have you forgotten that Adam Lambert did that on the Idols Tour? Lets not fan those flames again, please!

• Jane says:

My thoughts exactly! No one is allowed to sing what Adam has sung before,lol.

• DeniseO. says:

That would secure another nail in Durbin’s coffin if he sang that song. If he does, hope it finishes him off soon.

• Shoq says:

Weeee! I think it would be hilarious! People would see the Durbin actually has no voice. All his running around the stage lookin’ like a chicken w/ it’s head cut off does not fool me. Putting in every rock cliché move does not make you a rocker Durbs. Steven Tyler on that country awards show last night didn’t do much running around and showed he can still sing it hard.

• Suncatcher says:

Talk about fanning flames – catch Steven Tyler & Carrie Underwood’s rockin’ duet last night at the ACM awards. Unbelievably great!

• Laurie Martz says:

Steven & Carrie did an awesome job! Would love to see it on the finale of Idol! (hint, hint)

• darcy's evil twin says:

We had the ACM awards show on since hubby is a huge country fan. Carrie and Steven singing together were wonderful, to say the least, even though Steven looked like he’d been wardrobe shopping at the Elvis Presley (circa 1976) Garage Sale! “Walk this Way” was the best part of the program. Thanks for the link!

On the other hand, Jennifer Nettles (from Sugarland) singing a Rhianna song – with Rhianna – only made the elephant in the room very, very obvious – RHIANNA CAN’T SING.

• Yo says:

Elvis wouldn’t be caught dead in sneakers. I thought Steven overpowered Carrie, and was surprised because I thought she had a big voice.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Maybe Elvis would have worn sneakers on stage if he’d lived long enough. But your comment was very funny, Yo!

• Calsmytorty says:

Since we don’t know which songs can be cleared and how many or rather how little an amount of songs will be on the list, it’s hard to predict. However, if I had my druthers here’s what I might like to hear: BTW…cannot believe Bon Jovi is not one of the inductees. Also, I don’t particularly care who sings what as I am not really as gung ho this year as I was for Kris Allen in Season 8, but…I would like to hear SOME DIFFERENT songs for a change. Unfortunately, I am afraid it will be the same tiring list of boring songs that only American Idol can serve up. But here’s my list anyway.

Paul McDonald: Runaround Sue by Dion (don’t laugh, I think Paul could do this.) Hurt So Good by John Mellencamp would also be good for him, I think.
      Casey Abrams: Allison by Elvis Costello or Tupelo Honey by Van Morrison. Casey OTOH, needs to slow it down, I think.
      Stefano Longone: Still Rock n’ Roll To Me by Billy Joel (this would break him out of his comfort zone which he needs to do).
      Jacob Lusk: Crying by Roy Orbison
      Scotty McCreery: The Weight by The Band
      James Durbin: Sherry by The Four Seasons He can break into his high range without, I hope, screaming yet again. Screaming gets old after a while, especially when it’s week after week.

Lauren Alaina: Something to Talk About by Bonnie Raitt
      Pia: Call Me by Blondie
      Haley Reinhart: Because the Night by Patti Smith

What I think, however, is Haley will do Janis Joplin. Scotty may do Elvis if, as someone said, he likes Elvis…and my prediction is Are You Lonesome Tonight. Also since Hank Williams is a hall of famer, he could sing something by him.

What I don’t want to hear is any more Motown tunes on R&R night. I can also live without hearing another U2 song.

Also keep in mind that Constantine Maroulis will be on board Thursday and he MIGHT…might being the operative word, sing Bohemian Rhapsody which was one of his “moments” when he was on the show, although I hear he may sing one of his new songs. I think they are all covers anyway.

So that’s where I’m at.

• darcy's evil twin says:

LOL, I’m going to give two thumbs up to Paul singing Dion’s “Runaround Sue”. It would fit his goofy moves and it would be original!

Did Natalie Maines also record “Because the Night”? Bruce Springsteen wrote the song.

I’m having trouble envisioning Scotty singing “The Weight”, but all of your choices are good. At least they’re different! Like you, I get tired of the same old stuff.

• Mike M says:

Tupelo Honey for Casey….absolute genius choice. I truly think he could have a magical performance with that song (which of course means there is no chance he will do it…lol)

• WhiteLady says:

I wish Hayley or Lauren did “Crying”… Love that song and I’m afraid Jacob would oversing it to hell and back. It could be Lauren’s moment to finally put in third gear and declare herself a frontrunner.

And since Pia’s doing “River Deep Mountain High” I’d give “call me” to Hailey, she could totally rock that! ;) Would’ve been a good change of pace for Pia though.

• Donna says:

I like the idea of Pia doing Blondie – way to get out of that box. Same for Lauren doing Bonnie Raitt. I liked MJ’s recommendation for Stefano – Dion or Four Seasons. And Hendrix/Led Zep for James. Haley doing Janis would be a good choice, but Jacob doing “Cryin’ ” could give him too much opportunity to make weird faces and over-emote. Maybe he needs to just rock out more. Chuck Berry? Paul or Scotty could do some Buddy Holly update.

• mbullard says:

I always wanted to hear Kris Allen sing John Mellencamp. There is a similarity there to me in looks and sound. I would have liked to have heard him sing Pink Houses or Jack and Diane.

• agrimesy says:

Durbin should sing “Carry On Wayward Son” by Kansas. OR “More Than a Feeling” by Boston. They’re in the Hall of Fame, right?

If Durbin sings ANYTHING Bowie, I will begin the fan war myself!

• Erin says:

Not sure how Durbin has earned so much hate. He has personality issues for sure… that is because he has Asperger’s. But dude can sing when he harnesses it in the right direction. Like America, I do not have a clear favorite right now, but i certainly wouldn’t put Durbin too far down on the list with so much dead weight still in the competition.

• music lady says:

I agree! James Durbin has Aspergers. My nephew has Aspergers so I personally know they have very limited social communication skills and will say things or act in a certain way that people do not understand and accept. James turned to music and performing which enables him to communicate through his singing. He does really enjoy himself, as Randy said. I am it is such an great outlet for him, allowing to communicate in song and lyrics which sometimes eludes him in real life. Also he has Turettes which disappears while he performs.

A little bit of understanding of people and conditions goes a long way folks.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I’m with you, Erin. I don’t know much about Asperger’s but I caught James’ Tourette’s immediately since I had a classmate with Tourette’s. But I am really liking James. He CAN sing – he proved it on “Maybe I’m Amazed”. I’m willing to cut him some slack because he’s young and clearly having a ball. At least he’s interesting and entertaining. People keep forgetting how young some of these kids are!

The constant comparisons to Adam Lambert are unwarranted and unfair, and believe me, I was a fan of Adam Lambert (still am!). Adam was a polished, trained, seasoned performer when he hit the Idol stage. James is hardly any of that and yet we’ve seen improvement from him. Isn’t that what this show is about? Finding a diamond in the rough and watching them grow?

James and Haley are my favorites right now and I didn’t like Haley at all until the live performances started. I don’t have a clear favorite either for the first time in a long, long time.

• agrimesy says:

I don’t think James has attracted any more “hate” than Haley, Jacob, Paul, or Lauren. The fact that American Idol viewers do not discrimminate by race, gender, age, or disability in their criticisms is actually a brutally honest equality that I think James should be proud to acquire. How devastating would it be to get “handled” with kid gloves because James is “different”? If he gets far in this competition, it will be because he earned it by his own volition in spite of challenges. The same can be said for all of them!

2. Sharon says:

I love your pick for Casey. Upright bass would be awesome on this.

• Templar says:

ITA. I also would like for Casey to do something by Fats Domino, maybe “Walkin’ To New Orleans”. Could imagine Paul doing “Fire & Rain” and James doing Queen’s “Too MUch Love Will Kill YOU” perfect lyric for him.

3. Sen says:

Rock and Roll hall of fame is ridiculous… KISS has not been inducted! So song choices will be lame.

4. Dani C says:

Good choices…unfortunately, i have a horrible feeling this week is gonna be a struggle for about 70% of the contestants. It’ll be like a car crash; i want to look away, but i can’t.

5. Titina says:

I would love Casey to bring back the upright bass but I am not sure if he can do it this week because Jeff Beck will be playing guitar for them.
    I just hope he stays on the right track and gives a great performance again!. Still rooting for that boy.

6. swthompson says:

Given that Johnny Cash is in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, I figure Scotty might try some early Man in Black.

• GinaBallerina says:

Good prediction.
      I saw Scotty quoted as saying he’s a huge Elvis fan, so I’m going to predict he’ll sing something of the King’s.

• darcy's evil twin says:

If that’s the case we’re going to hear “I Can’t Help (falling in love with you)”. With a guitar. On a stool. And everyone will love it!

• Jim Richardson says:

I was thinking the same thing..if he does Elvis it might come across cheesy, if he does Johnny he’ll come across as cool. I would love “Get Rhythm.”

7. Lauren says:

Scotty McCreery: Johnny Cash “Hurt”
    Haley Reinhart: Sam Cooke “Bring It On Home to Me” (COULD BE AMAZING)
    Lauren Alaina: Madonna “Open Your Heart”
    Paul McDonald: The Who “Love Reign O’er Me” but he’d probably pick something more like Tom Petty’s “American Girl”. Bo-ring.
    Pia Toscano: River Deep Mountain High because it’s not like she isn’t the most boring Staten Island fembot ever invented so why bother.
    Stefano Langone: The BeeGees “Emotion”
    James Durbin: Maybe Cream’s “Crossroads”? He’ll probably do “Gimme Shelter” though.
    Casey Abrams: Led Zeppelin “When the Levee Breaks” (could be hot with that bass)
    Jacob Lusk: I don’t know….The Sex Pistols. Whatever.

Not that they would choose any of these….just my opinion.

• Lior says:

Hey Lauren, nice picks :)

• Adam Leonard says:

When the Levee Breaks is not a great “voice” song. I actually like Crossroads a selection but for Haley. If she’s supposed to be the “bluesy” singer this year. Let’s get her some blues. If we take Crossroads from James, I say give him Behind Blue Eyes. Love to see what he could do with a quiet verse or two before building into the rocker portion where he could cut loose.

• Kevin C. says:

Johnny Cash’s cover of “Hurt” got its power in large part because Cash was able to bring so much of his maturity and life experience to bear on the song. I think Scotty (and any of the idol contestants) should stay away from a performance of the song a la Cash until they have a few more decades under their belt.

• @galaga6846 says:

HURT!?!? ON American Idol?!?! NO! NO. No.

• @galaga6846 says:

I am more than confused by some of the poster’s choices for the contestants this week. Paul, singing Skynyrd? Scotty singing a Nine Inch Nails song in the style of Johnny Cash? James singing The Four Seasons??? I just don’t get it. SMH.

• lin gwin says:

I would like to hear Scotty sing Ghost Riders in the Sky, I’m so lonesome I could cry,and High Noon.

• darcy's evil twin says:

I really like the choice of Sam Cooke’s “Bring it on Home to Me” for Haley.

Sam Cooke would also be a good choice for Casey.

8. Lior says:

Wow Michael you really hate Lauren huh? :)
    I bet she could pull it off, but I really don’t see that being a good song for her…

9. takakupo says:

Gawd this week is going to be boring without Naima.

Boom! Fire!

10. Lauren says:

MORE IMPORTANTLY THOUGH…apparently the incomparable FRENCHIE DAVIS is going to be auditioning for that new (probably crap) show “The Voice” – count me in if only to hear that big voice and re-live the magic of “Band of Gold”! Slezak I know you feel this.

• jason says:

lauren, i, too, am VERY excited about frenchie. appearently christina picked her to be on her team. i know frenchie has had mild success, but diva needs some tv time to show america!! girl needs a contract and now!! she could do a fierce club anthem with those pipes and you know us gay guys love a beautiful black belter!!!! more power to her!

11. LizP says:

Paul McDonald should absolutely do BeeGees – I vote “Jive Talkin'”

12. sara says:

let’s see, Scotty will do something country no matter what the theme of the week is, Pia will do a ballad, James will set something on fire, and Paul will sing really really quietly.

• Ghost of Kelly Clarkson says:

You called it, Sara!

• Ghost of Kelly Clarkson says:

And don’t forget: Jacob will sing something screechy, Lauren will sing a song that is totally inappropriate for her age, and Stephano will sing with his eyes shut.

• Scorpiosue1102 says:

Pia already let the cat out of the bag that she was doing “River Deep Mountain High” so a ballad will be out THOUGH the song was done by Celine Dion so there you go.

13. Susie says:

Durbin singing Life on Mars? BWWAHHHAAA – No way. That song belongs to David Bowie first – and no one can beat Adam Lambert’s cover of it on the 2009 Idol tour.

14. Kimberly says:

I think Lauren Alaina should do a song like The Pretender’s “I’ll Stand by You.” She has the best voice (range and tone) out of all the girls. She just needs her Carrie Underwood “Alone” moment and I think she could get it with a song like this.

• djm says:

Didn’t Carrie Underwood do “I’ll Stand By You” on one of the Idol gives back shows?

• S. Lee Stack says:

er, can’t tell if you’re being serious or not…

but Pia just had her first “moment” with “I’ll Stand By You” on girls top 12 night just a few weeks ago…
      ah, how soon they forget… ;)

• Jay says:

Casey: “Thieves In The Temple” – Prince
      Stefano: “He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother” – The Hollies
      James: “Only Women Bleed” – Alice Cooper
      Haley: Heart Of Glass” – Blondie
      Pia: “Beautiful Stranger” – Madonna
      Lauren: “I Can’t Make You Love Me” – Bonnie Raitt
      Scotty: “Promises” – Eric Clapton
      Jacob: “After The Love Is Gone” – Earth, Wind & Fire
      Paul: “Sweet Home Alabama” – Lynyrd Skynyrd

• darcy's evil twin says:

Oh, three snaps and a twist for you!
        that’s the first suggestion for Jacob that I’ve actually liked!

• C says:

Please, do not let that miserable wretch of a voice wreck “Sweet Home Alabama”, which is one of the best songs ever. I don’t care what he sings, I already want him gone this week.

• WhiteLady says:

I’m afraid that Lauren will not do that song if she’s been watching Idol before. Allison Iraheta got a lot of crap for singing that since it wasn’t age appropriate and she was Lauren’s age then… Though she sung it great

15. j. says:

Michael, Do you really think any one of them could learn “God Only Knows” in under a week and stay on pitch with it? Wow, you must think highly of L.A. Anyway, as it’s not a song for belting, I doubt anyone would choose it.

16. GaryfromCinci says:

Scotty McCreery: Country Road by James Taylor
    Haley Reinhart: Janie Joplin “To Love Somebody”
    Lauren Alaina: Madonna “Crazy for You”
    Paul McDonald: Percy Sledges; When A Man Loves A Woman
    Pia Toscano: Blondie “Call Me”
    Stefano Langone: Queen “Somebody to Love”
    James Durbin: U2: “I Still Havent Found What Im Looking For
    Casey Abrams: The Police “King of Pain”
    Jacob Lusk: Al Green “Lets Stay Together”

• Adam Leonard says:

King of Pain is BRILLIANT for Casey and words perfectly for standup bass.

• amanda says:

these are some really great picks!

• CAM says:

Wow… Great idea for Stephano! Would never have thought about that, and now that you mention it I can hear him singing it. If only he would come up with something like that!

• Suncatcher says:

@GaryfromCinci – Dawg, love your list better than Slezak’s!
      Nice job! Really can see Pia doing “Call Me.” Perfect! And liking Al Green’s “Let’s Stay Together” for Jacob Lusk. Well done!

• djm says:

I can’t believe you honestly think Paul could pull that off vocally.

• agrimesy says:

Oh . my . goodness . . . If Jacob Lusk sang “Let’s Stay Together” and held it back the way I know he can, um . . . just . . . yeah, that would do it for me in a very, very, VERY good way!

I was never a fan of Barry White, but his fans were turned on by his voice. I don’t have to be turned on by the artist to get a nice buzz off the voice. That’s how I felt about Jacob on Motown night.

17. Denise says:

Instead of “Hall of Fame” week, they should have “Picked by Slezak” week.

• Adam Leonard says:

How about “As Voted by the Fans” week? They could set up a website and have people submit suggestions one week, do votes the next and sing the following. Yes it would mean we’re voting on songs for contestants who lost already but that doesn’t matter.

• kes says:

I thought of that idea too! It would be great since we know our fav contestants better than anybody as to what they can sing. It might get the contestants new ideas as well. Can’t believe they have not thought of this.

18. Binoy says:

Wow Michael, I think you just published the list of songs least likely to be okayed by the powers that be at AI. Instead they’re going to make sure they pick songs that have been done to death already. If they could limit Elton John’s vast playlist to just 20 songs…I’m sure they’ve picked a handful of artists and cleared their most popular songs. Even though the Rock and roll hall of fame has the widest range of artists you could imagine, I’m betting at least two of the contestants will sing songs by the same artist.

• jason says:

i agree with everyone. the problem with this season is this : all along we’ve been saying how great this seasons kids are and most people don’t see why. they are all mad talented but the arrangements and the song choices are killing these kids’ talent. i also feel picking songs never done before or obscure songs is actually BETTER than picking well-kinow songs that have been done so many times!!! the songs everyone did before the top 24 were some of the best performances on idol EVER. even a lot of the original songs were fantastic!! i think we need a new sound from our kids this year, not the same-old-same-old we always see. give these contestants a chance and watch them soar!!

19. Mb says:

Love michael’s pick for paul and lauren’s pick for casey, which would be most incredible to watch and is genius, wow, when the levee breaks. I have to you tube michael’s pick for casey, but agree abt bass vs jeff beck (how lucky are the kids to have him play!)

20. Jay says:

I wish someone would cover Madonna.

21. RTW says:

So Michael, when you mean Casey should play upright bass, you literally mean Casey should play an upright bass? I always just assumed you were speaking metaphorically, like, “Get back to being Hollywood Casey.” But after seeing the Ruth Brown YouTube clip, that would, as Jennifer said it, “redefine this whole competition.” Gotta hand it to you, that WOULD be some kind of awesomeness, different but worth seeing. So Casey,
    “Bring out the bass.”
    “But the bass is sleeping.”
    “Now, guess you just gonna have to wake it up now won’t you.”

22. Sean D says:

Slezak, “Life on Mars?” is one of my favorite songs and I’d be terrified to entrust it to any of this lot. Which isn’t to say anything against James; he’s very capable and currently he seems to have a very realistic shot at top 5 at least, but he ain’t good enough.

23. zaza says:

I’m assuming that the contestants don’t get to chose any song from any artist in the Hall of Fame. They are probably given an edited and limited list from which to choose. I would love to see the list they actually are allowed to choose from, if anyone knows where it might be viewed.

24. S. Lee Stack says:

Scotty will do some song with the word “country” in the title
    Paul will do “Maggie May” again, as its becoming to him was “Straight Up” was to Andrew Garcia, ie: the one song he can do that doesn’t suck…

ps: too bad Myspace’s Karen Rodriguez is gone…she could have done La Bamba!

25. Kevin C. says:

Instead of specific songs, here’s some more vaguely defined requests:

Pia: A song NOT previously sung by Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, and/or Whitney Houston (Sorry, that excludes “River Deep, Mountain High”, which Celine’s been singing for over 15 years now).

James: A ballad, recapturing some of the magic of “Baby I’m Amazed”.

Scotty: There’s plenty of up-tempo country songs, let’s see if he can handle one.

Stefano: Ditto on the up-tempo. Alternatively, it’s been far too long since we’ve had a piano on the idol stage.

Haley: Anything where she sings it straight and doesn’t try to sex/lounge it up.

26. Jay says:

Paul: “Sweet Home Alabama” – Lynyrd Skynyrd

27. shari says:

I would love to see James try Only Women Bleed by Alice Cooper
    Scotty In the Ghetto Elvis Presley
    Jacob Sam Cooke A Change is Going to Come
    Lauren Billy Joes It’s still Rock and Roll to me
    Still thinking about the rest

28. Zoey says:

What Paul really should do is something that makes him break out his southern rock grit, ala his pre-Idol stuff with the Grand Magnolias and Hightide Blues. He could benefit and get some mojo back on songs like “Fortunate Son”, “Whippin’ Post”, or “One Way Out”. I’d even love it if he sang “Rebel Rebel”, which is similar in uptempo rocking tunes that fit Paul.

29. DN says:

ZZ Top, AC/DC, and Van Halen are all in the Hall of Fame. That’s Durbin’s catalgoue

30. Hope F. LeSane says:

We already know that Pia is going to do River Deep and Mountain High. Wouldn’t be my choice but whatever.

31. Calsmytorty says:

Just typed a whole post and it’s gone. Oh well…

Lauren: Something to Talk About by Bonnie Raitt
    Pia: Call Me by Blondie
    Haley: Because the Night by Patti Smith

Paul: Runaround Sue by Dion

Stefano: Allison by Elvis
    James: Sherry by The Four Seasons
    Casey: Tupelo Honey by Van Morrison
    Scott: The Weight by The Band

Please no Sweet Home Alabama. And no Motown. We’ve heard it all before. And heard it. And heard it some more. I think Haley will do Joplin. Or maybe Lauren will.

Also Constantine Maroulis is on hand Thursday and he may sing Bohemian Rhapsody, which was a big one for him in his season. But he has some new songs that are covers so that too is a possibility. I also don’t want to hear any U2.

I’m sick of the same old tired songlist we get from American Idol, but I don’t think we will have much choice.

32. Calsmytorty says:

OOps. Hit some button before I was done.

I meant to put Allison for another Paul choice. And for Stefano I’d add: Still Rock and Roll to Me by Billy Joel. Stefano has GOT TO break out of his comfort zone. He’s a good singer, but he needs to step it up and make it his own as they say.

For Jacob: Crying by Roy Orbison. It’s a ballad, but it would show Jacob’s range.

Also I’d add Hurt So Good by John Mellencamp as a possibility for someone. I don’t know who though.

33. Nate says:

Stefano desparately needs a “moment” and I think he could have it with the song Just the Way You Are by Billy Joel.

• Templar says:

IMHO Stefano needs to pick a peppy song that has nothing to do with romance. He always over emotes on love songs. Billy Joel’s It’s Still R&R To Me would be better. Or Billy Joel’s “It’s My Life” not to be confused with the Bon Jovi song with the same title.

• tekkie says:

I love love love Billy Joel and think that For the Longest Time suits Stefano’s voice better. He could hit the falsetto, but he’s got to quit the weird pronunciation.

34. Liz says:

hmm. at first i was thinking that Casey should do something by Springsteen (if any of his songs are cleared for Idol, which i doubt they are), but then i googled Rock ‘n’ Roll Hall of Fame inductees, and I could see him doing Fortunate Son by CCR.

I can see Stefano singing My Girl by the Temptations. I think he’s got the right vocal range to pull that off.

Paul–Like a Rolling Stone by Bob Dylan (not that i think he could pull it off, but it is totally something he would choose). I would like to see him do Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morisson or Melencamp’s version of Wild Nights. EDIT–Just realized that Rod Stewart is an inductee. I think that he should try Maggie May (again, i doubt he could pull it off, but his voice is similar to Rod’s).

Scotty–he’s going to choose whatever country artists that are in the Hall of Fame because lets face it that boy thinks he’s on Country Idol. i say he’s going to pick “I Walk the Line” or “Ring of Fire” by Johnny Cash, but he could also choose something by Roy Orbison or Carl Perkins. (But even if he stepped out of the country box and went with someone more mainstream whatever he chose would sound like it needed more banjo to it.)

James will have to do something that makes my ear drums hurt worse than when Adam Lambert was on a couple of seasons ago. Someone needs to tell that kid that he doesn’t need to scream in every song. it gets old and annoying. If he needs to scream, let him choose an Aerosmith song to botch so Steven Tyler can tell him to shut up (and maybe voters will send him packing).

Jacob needs to just be quiet. Or maybe the screen can go blank while he sings–the faces he makes when he sings are nauseating. Maybe if i don’t have to see him sing, i’d actually like him. I can see him thinking that he could pull off Percy Sledge’s When a Man Loves a Woman. I doubt that he can, but it would be worth it to hear.

I can see Lauren singing something by Madonna. Maybe Take A Bow. I can also see her singing Human by the Pretenders.

Personally, I like Pia’s ballads (and it has nothing to do with being from the same town as her). However, it is Rock and Roll Hall of Fame week, so i think if she were to do an upbeat song this is the week to do it. I could see her doing the Supreme’s version of Ain’t No Mountain High Enough or Ike and Tina’s version of Proud Mary.

Haley–I can see her sing Piece of My Heart by Janis Joplin. She has the type of voice that would allow her to pull it off.

• AdamWasRobbed says:

If you are going to insist that Paul do a Rod Stewart song, I’d like to see him try, “Do Ya Think I’m Sexy”…. It been a blast to watch whether he sang it well or not… :-)

35. Erica says:

If you’re going to have Jacob massacre one of my favorite groups, how about Take Me to the River instead? Right up his alley….

36. lisagp says:

Mr. Slezak –

Will you please take some time on idoloonies to discuss more details about the pitiful lists the contestants have to choose songs from and why it is such a big secret??? I don’t get it!

Muchos Gracias!

37. Lo says:

My picks-
    Casey: The Mamas & The Papas “Dream a Little Dream of Me”/R.E.M. “Fall on Me”
    Haley: Billy Joel “New York State of Mind”
    Jacob: Madonna “Like a Prayer”/Louis Armstrong “What a Wonderful World”
    James: AC/DC “You Shook Me All Night Long”/The Rolling Stones “Start Me Up”
    Lauren: James Taylor “Fire and Rain”/Bonnie Raitt “Love Has No Pride”
    Paul: Bob Dylan “Blowin’ in the Wind”/Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers “Free Fallin” (John Mayer version)/ R.E.M. “Shiny Happy People”
    Pia: wouldn’t change her pick- she’s going to do amazing!
    Scotty: he HAS to do something by Elvis, maybe “All Shook Up”
    Stefano: The Police “Message in a Bottle”/Billy Joel “She’s Got a Way”

38. Eric S says:

James should do something by Sabbath. I will be ticked if he does something by Bowie. Come on. The choice has to be a hard rock or metal group. So Sabbath, Van Halen (No Hagar songs please!!), AC/DC or Metallica. Rock N Roll Hall of Fame is such a joke to begin with, it does annoy me a little that they are honoring his place.

39. Eolra says:

I’m a Bowie nut, so the suggestion of someone doing a Bowie song both makes me SQUEEE and CRINGE at the same time, since no one on Idol has ever done a satisfactory job on a Bowie song IMO. Just for fun, let’s imagine everyone chooses a Bowie song :)
    Casey: The Prettiest Star
    Haley: Boys Keep Swinging
    Jacob: Oh You Pretty Things
    James: Suffragette City
    Lauren: Modern Love
    Paul: Five Years
    Pia: Changes
    Scotty: The Wild-eyed Boy From Freecloud
    Stefano: Blue Jean

40. Steph says:

Haley would be amazing singing These Arms Of Mine by Otis Redding

41. Lily says:

Haley – Heart of Glass (Blondie), Chain of Fools (Aretha Franklin)
    Jacob – Dock of the Bay (Otis Redding), Purple Rain (Prince)
    Casey – Night Moves (Bob Seger), The Times They Are A-Changing (Bob Dylan)
    Paul – Teach Your Children (Crosby, Stills, Nash), Every Breath You Take (Police)
    Scotty – Can’t Help Falling in Love (Elvis)
    James – Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door (Bob Dylan), Sunday Bloody Sunday (U2)
    Stefano – Take it to the Limit (The Eagles), Don’t Stop (Fleetwood Mac)
    Pia – (we know it’s River Deep, Mountain High)
    Lauren – Landslide (Fleetwood Mac), Beautiful Stranger (Madonna)

• AdamWasRobbed says:

+1 for Stefano doing “Don’t Stop”…. He’d do well with that.

• Mike M says:

Lily I really like the idea of Purple Rain for Jacob. The only problem is I shudder to think what he might do to such a beautiful song…lol. Still, if he would simply stand still in a spotlight and show some restraint while singing, this could be a beautiful moment for him. Great choice.

42. Jason S says:

Haley should stick with 70s glam rockers and do either Ziggy Stardust or Space oddity!! Whatever she does she needs to Rock out the momentum. No power ballad switchup or she’s going home!!

43. bev says:

I don’t get people hated adam,made fun of crystal, and now james. People amaze me. I love james and I Hope he wins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

44. darcy's evil twin says:

Not everyone went to the concert tour. I think “Life on Mars” is an excellent choice for James Durbin. One of my favorite songs.
    Arguably it’s a song that’s tailor-made for Adam Lambert.

I would like to hear Haley sing “Nutbush City Limit”. Someone suggested “Heart of Glass” (also good).

I like most of the suggestions but I can’t even imagine Jacob singing “Burning Down the House”. Slezak, are you trying to get him sent packing?

Scotty should sing Hank Williams’ “Move it on Over” (also covered by George Thorogood and the Destroyers).

45. AdamWasRobbed says:

Okay, I’ll try my hand at this…

Paul – House of the Rising Sun – The Animals OR America – Neil Diamond

Pia – Chiquitita – ABBA

Casey – Turn, Turn, Turn – The Byrds

Scotty – Lay Down Sally – Eric Clapton

Stefano – Human Nature – Michael Jackson

Haley – White Rabbit – Jefferson Airplane

James – Destroyer – The Kinks

Jacob – Money – The O’Jays

Lauren – Sara – Fleetwood Mac.

• Lily says:

Scotty singing ‘Lay Down Sally’ would be great! But, I think there’s a “Scotty McCreery rule’ that thou shalt not sing anything that isn’t purely wholesome, what with Grandma and the whole town watching. No “lay down Sally, rest here in my arms” or anything remotely like that allowed. We’ll probably get a “God Bless the USA” from Scotty before this is all over with, though maybe the producers are saving it for top two or top three week. Stefano singing Human Nature, and Lauren singing Sara – genius!

46. Mc says:

For James what about journey -faithfully or separate ways? Dont know if they are the hall of fame though

47. Mc says:

Ooooo- how about the fireman by george strait for Scotty

48. JUDITH Cunningham says:

I think Scotty should do DRIVE ME WILD by Sawyer Brown

49. Nick says:

The rock guy with the high voice should do “Train kept a rollin”
    You’ve got beck there. Make him play!

• GaryfromCinci says:

Beck is apparently out now due to illness.. Lyndsey Buckingham was the replacement, but he also had to bow out. The guy from OneRepublic is apparently now the guitar guest mentor. This was according to Lythgoe on Seacrests radio show this morning.

50. Fernando says:

A couple ideas for tonight:

Durbin — “Jeanie, Jeanie, Jeanie” (Eddie Cochran)
    Scotty — “Ring of Fire” (Cash) or “One Step up” (springsteen)
    Jacob — “Nothing Can Ever Change This Love” (Sam Cooke)
    Stephano — “Sherry” or “My Eyes Adored You” (Frankie Valli)
    Lauren — “You Don’t Have to Say You Love Me” or “Son of a Preacher Man” (Dusty Springfield)