Ratings: CHAOS Spies Low Numbers

The premiere of CBS’ spy dramedy CHAOS led its Friday time slot in total viewers (with 6.43 million), but only bested a Smallville repeat in the demos, coughing up a measly 1.1 rating.

It can also be noted that CHAOS performed 27 percent below time slot predecessor The Defender‘s own Friday debut, and fell even further shy of that legal dramedy’s season finale.

Utter CHAOS! Is CBS’ New Spy Dramedy Indeed the Work of a ‘Misguided Masochist’?

The news was better elsewhere on Friday for CBS. CSI: NY led the 9 o’clock hour with 10.26 mil and a 1.7, and Blue Bloods as typical topped the night in total audience (with 10.7 million).

David James Elliott Teases CSI: NY Reunion

ABC’s 20/20 scored Friday’s best demo rating, with a 1.8. Shark Tank held steady at 4.8 mil/1.2.

1. Jennifer says:

I enjoyed Chaos last night, it was fun to watch

2. DL says:

To be honest, I had no idea last night was the premiere. I certainly plan to watch next week.

• John says:

Ditto. I’ll watch a future episode if CBS doesn’t pull it. Nice PR job, CBS.

• tom says:

neither did i, i watched shark tank instead, but i think i’d rather have watched this. I did watched it online and it was decent, i’ll give it a few weeks to see if they work the kinks out.

3. GimplyGump ☺ says:

I’m sorry to say I didn’t care for *Chaos* as I was looking forward to it. I found my mind wandering frequently during the show which I felt was more like a real-life-cartoon. I will DVR next week, but if it doesn’t ‘grab’, FLOBT, me, I won’t bother. Those that did like it, more power to you.

On a side note, is it just my imagination or are TV ratings as a whole, down?

4. kelly says:

Didn’t care for Chaos. I miss The Defenders…wish CBS would have let it finish the season. Blue Bloods was awesome last night.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

DEFENDERS aired every episode they produced.

• DL says:

Yeah, Blue Bloods was definitely great last night. So glad they’ve decided to focus more on individual stories and the family dynamic as opposed to the gimmicky “Blue Templar” thing introduced in the pilot. I’m sure it will come back, but I like the show’s current direction so much more.

5. Laura says:

Well, sorry to see Chaos do so poorly, but on a totally selfish note, I was happy to see Blue Bloods kept the viewers from CSI:NY. I love Blue Bloods and last night was a great episode.

6. Nina says:

That’s what CBS gets for canceling Medium.
    Medium had better numbers and loyal viewers …

7. Toni says:

I really enjoyed it, it was fun and had some hot guys,what’s not to like? It might have helped if there were some promos or press to get the word out about this show. CBS dropped the ball.

8. Matt says:

I enjoyed Chaos and found it to be much better than anything else CBS has put on the air in the last couple of years. They have stuck to the boring, cookie cutter procedural that plays to the lowest common denominator, but I thought Chaos was quick, witty, and offered a lot to like. Its sad that CBS will inevitably let it play six episodes and then toss it out.

• Jennfer says:

I agree with you. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I sincerely hope you’re wrong about the six weeks.

• Nick says:

Yeah its a good show and not at all like most of the other shows on TV, meaning it will be gone in six weeks for sure. Unless its reality crap or CSI: Wherever, the morons in this country won’t watch it, so the rest of us get stuck with nothing good to watch.

9. Gina says:

It was awful and boring and the acting was poor. Couldn’t even make myself watch the entire episode.

10. Laura says:

It was a deception to me. I was expectant to watch Eric Close in action again after Without a Trace was over, but I found “Chaos” very boring and not likable. I didn’t get the comic intention. I did an effort in not changing channel. Don’t think I’ll repeat.
    Loved, loved, loved “Blue Bloods” episode. Awesome, I love this show.

11. Jodie says:

I, like several others, had no idea it was premiering! Caught the last half hour of it while channel changing. Read up on the premise later. I thought it was pretty decent…and that is a lot for me as I know Pilot episodes have so much “meet and greet” and “setup” that I don’t always enjoy them. I hope it stays for at least a few more shows and that people actually know its out their before it is axed.

• Nicole says:

I remember seeing a clip of this show online a few months back and thought it looked really funny. However, like most others, I had no idea it premiered on Friday and missed it. I’ll be checking it out this week, and trying to find the pilot online.

12. Joe Finkle says:

I thought the writing was subpar, and the jokes you could see coming from a mile away. But, nice to see Eric Close back on CBS. I wish series like Chaos and NCIS and CSI Miami and Criminal Minds would do a better job of making it appear like they’re shooting in the city they’re based. I live in L.A. and can spot the blue street signs every time.

13. Suncatcher says:

A whole bunch of us watched CHAOS last night and LOVED IT!

Great cast. Great chemistry. Great writing. “Comedy Drama” it is, as promised!

First time in a long time that a pilot has hit a home run. Can’t wait till next week! We hope CBS will give this one a chance.

14. Mikaylah says:

I had NO IDEA Chaos was premiering last night! I just watched it on the CBS website and loved it. I laughed so much, and the character/stories are great. Will definitely keep tuning in.

15. Jon says:

Oh my. I DVRd CHAOS. Was looking forward to it. Could not make it through the episode. Show was incredibly forced. Could be they were trying too hard for a first episode. I smell flop. The entire cast deserves better.

16. absherlock says:

I also loved CHAOS. Don’t know if it was because of Eric Close being in the cast, but I definitely got a Moonlighting or Now & Again vibe from it. I actually went to IMDB to see if Glenn Gordon Caron had anything to do with it.

17. jordayna says:

Except with LOST, I never find the pilot to be a true sell of any TV show. Usually, you have to give it a few weeks to find its footing then judge it. I found CHAOS to be a little slapstick and it is nothing like CBS’ other CIA show, The Agency. It never sold it that way, though. I found it different and I am curious where it is going. I hope it finds its footing as the premise is good. I wait and see.

18. Ferry says:

If this is the standard of the show… Then I’d rather watch a rerun of As the World Turns…

19. Alice says:

Seriously, CBS, promotion FAIL. I had seen one online article about CHAOS, assumed it was going to start in the fall. Stumbled upon the episode online- it could be good. I like Freddie Rodriguez, although I hope his character is a little less annoyingly earnest. But I’ll watch for the Scottish guy alone. He’s funny and sexy and it gives me something to watch before Fringe that’s NOT Kitchen Nightmares.

20. spikesgrl says:

I was so looking forward to Chaos and have it set on series record on my dvr. But I have to say I thought it was pretty boring. It did not hold my attention at all. I am not giving up on it yet, but I definitely think Defenders was a much better show.

21. Denise says:

The first half hour was rough to sit through but then it picked up. I think now that the “backstory” has been established it will run smoother and it can be a pretty decent middling show.

22. Pam says:

I was expecting more from the show but it wasn’t bad. I love the cast so I will definitely give it a shot. Most pilots are kind of awkward.

23. Alexa says:

The showing is boring. The comedic factor ruined it for me. I thought it was more like the old show “The Agency”.