Ratings: Musical Grey's Hits a High Note

ABC’s ratings gurus are surely singing this morning, given that the Grey’s Anatomy “music event” — with 12.7 million total viewers and a 4.8 demo rating — delivered increases of 26 and 32 percent, respectively, over the show’s week-ago outing. What’s more, Grey’s built audience over the hour and scored its most watched episode since the season premiere.

See what just a hint of promotion will get ya?

The Grey’s Anatomy Music Event: Perfect Harmony, Or a Bit Off-Key? Vote!

Curiously, Private Practice somehow fumbled a full third of its engorged lead-in, going on to average 7.6 million viewers and a 2.8 rating (albeit numbers on par with its last outing).

Elsewhere on Thursday:

* American Idol‘s double-elimination results show drew 22 million viewers and a 6.7, up 7 percent week-to-week.

* The Big Bang Theory returned from its March Madness hiatus to 11.7 million viewers and a 3.6 demo rating, down a tad from its last fresh eppy.

* Coming off a Community repeat, NBC’s soon-to-be-jettisoned Perfect Couples hit a series low 2.14 mil/1.0. I miss you already, Olivia Munn.

* In the 9 o’clock hour, CSI placed second with 12.5 million viewers and a 2.7 rating, down a bit on both counts. Fox’s Mobbed thingamajig held onto about half of Idol‘s numbers, with 10.8 mil/3.8.

* The non-musical Mentalist was the night’s most watched scripted series, with 13.86 million viewers, while its 2.8 rating this week edged out Private Practice.

What did you watch this Thursday?

1. me says:

did you take that picture with a cellphone? looks crappy.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Actually, yes, I did. Next time I’ll have Annie Leibovitz come over with her Hasselblad 6×6. But until then, let me swap in for you an official ABC pic of lots of people wearing surgical masks :)

2. Liz says:

Oops, the rating is not low as some fans expected, n it’s clearly higher than the “Golden Hour” aka Meredith-centered episode. It sure will piss some fans off and make them even bitter.

• CC says:

I’m sure that had more to do with the fact that somebody’s life was at stake in this episode combined with the gimmick of a musical. If any main character’s life is in jeopardy, ratings will go up. You’ll recall that the episode where Derek was dying got nearly 4 million more viewers. So by that math, viewers care for MerDer about 4 million times more…?

• Dada says:

Well said. The Music ep. was fantastic and we loved it much much more than 7.15. That should shut them up for good.

3. Ana M says:

Still…pretty crappy for GA. They used to have 15 million and draw even more on gimmicks like this. I guess it’s clear GA isn’t what it used to be.

• Ingmar says:

Are you kidding me? The show is in its 7th season so it only makes sense ratings go down slowly. With 99% of the shows that’s the case. The point is, even in its 7th season GA is getting a 4.8 rating for an event like this and like a 3.8 for a normal episode. That’s a lot of a hell better than most other shows on television if you don’t count NCIS which is a rating/viewer kill. People tend to underestimate GA. I bet you dont even watch the show ;)

• Lulu says:

Double WORD. And I LOVED the Musical Episode last night. These ratings are a lot higher than those for The Golden Hour as well as episode that followed it, which was also touted as a Meredith-centric episode. I think it’s clear that MerDer are no longer the “center of the show.”

• CC says:

I’m pretty sure that had more to do with somebody potentially dying in this episode in tandem with a musical gimmick…

• BRETT says:

Yes, please learn how to properly interpret ratings before posting.

4. JT York says:

Given how the show wasn’t flawless, had its highs and lows, nice to see the results were good. Not surprised about Private Practice, since not every Greys fan is a Private Practice fan. But good to see the numbers are on par.

• sam says:

part of the reason Private Practice fumbled so much of it may also have been because Addison wasn’t even IN the episode, new viewers wouldn’t recognize any of the characters except from the occasional crossovers.

5. Amanda says:

Still hated the singing. Too bad they put it into such an important episode.

• kurstan says:

That episode was awful. I am embarrassed for the actors. I will never take them serious again. If I wanted to watch Glee, then I’d turn to FOX. All of my friends were complaining on Facebook, and asking to make it stop. I thought it was an early April Fool’s joke!

• tarc says:

And ten there weer the rest of us that loved it. I’ve always thought there was something wrong with people that don’t like music/musicals/musical episodes, and after reading all of the nasty, untrue things the hates have been posing, I’m sure it’s true.

6. Danny says:

When is Katie Kent returning to “Private Practice”?

7. IMHO says:

The ratings for this ep of GA are not surprising, except for AI, not much competition last night. Hey! Maybe that was the idea! Pull viewers from AI’s 2nd hour, after the “Results Show Fatigue” has set in!! GA used to be a must see, now, not so much!! And, if the PTB knew this ep was terrific, they would have saved it for sweeps…this time of year isn’t know for high ratings, but rather a “dumping ground”. This “musical” GA probably seemed like a good idea at the beginning…but OMG! So glad I recorded it…just zoomed through most of it. And, PP just isn’t a good show, that’s why the ratings fall off!

8. confused says:

wait. how is 12.7 million viewer even a hit? American Idol still destroyed them too. I guess anything can be a “hit” now.

9. anna says:

please…NO MORE SINGING!!!!

10. Trace says:

Just cause we watched it does not mean we liked it. Still say the singing does not belong on GA, Buffy did it better & it was no Glee. Worst episode ever, please never do that to us again.

11. roe says:

the most important episode and they mess it up with all the singing…..fine if they wanted to do a musical episode but not everyone likes them. of course ratings were up because we wanted to find out if callie and the baby live or die.

12. De says:

HATED the singing. HATED!

13. Eileen says:

Hated the singing, Only reason I watched the whole episode(fast forwarding the singing parts) was to see what happend to Callie. Please don’t do it again… HORRIBLE

14. Monique says:

i totally hated the singing. been watching for years & loving it – if this continues, i’m gone! if i wanted to watch GLEE, i would!

15. Dan says:

I’m glad to hear that going out on a limb got them some nice ratings, but I hope its not an encouraging sign to do another one. I think this was my least favorite episode of Grey’s EVER. This should have been one of those episodes that makes you cling to your tissue box. The kind of episode Grey’s does best, not the quirky, poorly sung disaster that it was.

16. sam says:

big grey’s fan, big glee fan, not a big fan of grey’s going glee. it was a good plot, bad idea to do the musical, but i could definitely deal with keeping around “the story” exactly as it was done… sara ramirez really did an amazing job with that last one.

17. Margaret says:

It had me crying from the start. I thought it was brilliant to combine the intense drama & the intense singing. Sorry some didn’t like it. I loved it! Congrats Shonda! and ensemble.

18. Sarah P says:

The musical was terrible! I LOVE Grey’s because of its drama, intense scenes, and characters. None of those features were prominent in this episode, and I am thoroughly disappointed. As many others have stated, most continued to watch only to find out what happened NOT because we loved the musical. Bad idea, writers! Bad idea! This was an AMAZING episode, and would have been another terrific storyline that Grey’s Anatomy fans adore! However, the singing definitely took away and distracted! Better luck next week!

19. monika says:

I LOVED it – good singing – i do not understand why so many hate it – it’s only ONE episode – and they did it very well….

20. Dyanne says:

The actors did well with the singing – but really GA??????? People who tune in to see a medical drama want to see just that – a medical drama. Did you run out of story and need to fill in the empty space with music? Wait – not possible – we still don’t know what happened with Meredith’s vision right???
    Get back to what made Grey’s great in the first place.

• Jane says:

The cast aren’t really doctors, they’re performers. I don’t see it as a gimmick so much as a chance to have fun with a tremendously talented cast. The songs were poignantly woven in. Of course they’re not going to do it again, so chillax… I was surprised they did it for such a plot-intensive episode though. They could have taken the easy way out and used a more disposable storyline.

• Jane says:

Sorry Dyanne. That comment wasn’t meant for you specifically. I’m not sure why it’s placed as a response to you.

21. vanessa says:

Put the girls on a surfboard and you have the moment when the show officially JUMPED THE SHARK!!

22. SD says:

They promoted the heck out of it but I didn’t like it. Gimmick but the ratings did go up so look for the musical EVENT of PP and maybe a crossover with the horrible OTM. I think the season opener was the highest rating of the season with the ratings going downhill until this.Both PP and GA are becoming unrecognizable this year.

23. Jill says:

Great….great….great…. Don’t the non lovers of singing realize that Sara has a Tony for her singing??? People just like to complain. Get over and expand your horizons….Same is dull and deadly. People are too cynical to be moved by the songs.

24. Hinx says:

I have been an avid fan of GA for all 7 seasons. Until tonight!!! I watch GA for the drama and I watch Glee for the music. I don’t want to watch the two combined! I think GA needs to stick to what it’s good for.

25. Jaderade says:

I don’t think that people tuned in to specifically watch a musical. In fact, the only reason I tortured myself through it was because it was an important episode. I think that they took away from the show by doing this weird episode. Same with the reality show type episode they did not too far back. The show is great, leave it be.

26. Carol says:

Loved this episode!!! Way to showcase REAL talent!!! CONGRATS!!

27. nikki says:

WEIRD and STRANGE!!! The music was distracting from the drama and seemed quite silly actually. I love GA and I credit the cast for trying to sing their best. But plz producers scrap this musical crap. It cheapens the series!

28. Aria says:

There is too much digression from central storylines. I feel like we did the whole car accident thing with George, why revisit? Then theres the whole Mark and Lexie saga, why is there constant avoidance there. Mer and Derek became the boring couple who work and go home, try for a baby and sleep. If I wanted to see that I would watch the people around me in real life. There has been a lack of storylines surrounding Alex, this happened in the past then those cast members left. I miss the old Grey’s circa George and Izzie before they got lame, died or got cancer and left.

29. Ashley says:

The Greys Music Event was PERFECT! MAJOR KUDOS to Sara Ramirez! She stole the show! Her acting & singing was phenomenal beyond belief & her storyline was heart-wrenching! Greys knew what they were doing when they chose Sara to have the lead role in this Music Event! I love the Callie/Arizona love story & after this episode I’m hooked on them. I hope they stay together, they have chemistry & they are so interesting to watch! I hope their baby lives too.

The music meshed so well with the storyline, so intense & emotional. I haven’t gotten that emotional since the Season 6 finale. I say Grey’s should seriously consider doing a Music Event Sequel!
    Well Done Greys!

30. Anne says:

I enjoyed the epi! Just for once, the music event was ok. And they all did pretty well (Sara & Chandra perfectly well) in the singing dept though for me JESSICA CAPSHAW stole the show in the acting dept. Fantastic performance!!