Survivor: Which Tribe Were You Rooting For in This Week's Immunity Challenge?
CBS aired a tense, thrilling game of hoops on Wednesday night, and it had nothing to do with the NCAA College Basketball Championships. Nope, I’m talking about what was undoubtedly the most exciting Immunity Challenge of the Survivor: Redemption Island season.
Before we discuss that showdown, though, let’s recap a few points of interest about an hour that was alternately unpredictable, hilarious, and suspenseful:
* Was anyone else shocked by the way David refused to play nice with Sarita in front of his tribemates? The “uptown girl” went and extended an olive branch, telling David she had a ton of respect for him despite the fact that he voted for her at the previous Tribal Council, and how does he respond? “You don’t need to give me a speech. It doesn’t matter.” Um, well, it might matter if somehow Sarita makes the jury and you need her vote to take home first prize, dude.
* Who else got a kick out of the fact that Stephanie’s yammering tested even the patience of gentle Biblical scholar Matt?
* Is Phillip truly following The Book of Five Rings and letting his enemy move first, or is Boston Rob correct in describing the man in the ill-fitting pink undies as “probably the most unaware person I’ve ever met in my entire life”? (I’m going with the latter.)
* I’ve never really believed God cared about the outcome of reality shows, but after watching Matt correctly flip over two skulls on his first game of Redemption Island Arena Concentration, I’m starting to think the man upstairs actively wants the guy back in the game. I don’t even think that foot injury hinted at in next week’s previews are going to be enough to help Sarita vanquish this Terminator-like competitor.
* After Phillip’s “crispy rice” tantrum and declaration that he’d take the first opportunity he could to ELIMINATE Boston Rob, I was a little worried when both men were perched near the mouth of an active volcano. Also, Rob tossing the immunity idol clue into the aforementioned fiery pit was one of the most unexpected, hilarious things I’ve seen on TV this year.
* How absolutely thrilling and brutal was this week’s Immunity Challenge? Anytime players have to bash their way through brick walls, you know it’s gonna be good, but the addition of hideous mud and that game of hoops with the world’s most narrow baskets had me perched on the edge of my seat, fists clutched in a moment of pure suspense. Please tell me I’m not alone on that.
* Was anyone else surprised Zapatera voted in favor of David over Sarita, even though the former player admitted he did not do a lick of scrambling to convince his tribemates to keep him around? (Then again, that giant log he dragged back to camp was worth 1,000 pleas for mercy.) I can’t say for sure how I would’ve voted in their shoes, but Zapatera had better hope the wily attorney stays loyal after the merge.
* And how about this brutal post-vote parting shot?
Sarita: “I wish I’d brought my stuff.”
David: “Don’t get too confident.”
Way to gloat in your victory, buddy! Though I’m still not sure what’s the source of David’s deep well of vitriol.
Were you as thrilled as I was with last night’s episode? Which tribe did you root for at the challenge? Vote in our poll below, and for all my reality TV recaps, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.