NBC Picks Up Betty White-Hosted Reality Series

Get More: News, Reality TV

This was inevitable: Betty White is getting her own reality series.

The Golden Girls legend is returning to NBC to host and exec produce Betty White’s Off Their Rockers, a new hidden-camera comedy show that follows a band of seven senior citizens who make it their mission to play pranks on unsuspecting whippersnappers.

NBC has ordered 12 half-hour episodes of Rockers, which is based on the European reality franchise, Benidorm Bastards.

“People have been telling me that I’m off my rocker for years,” White cracked, “now I can prove it.”

The 89-year-old White currently stars in the TV Land smash Hot in Cleveland.

Tags: ,

Comments (14)

• This is the best thing ever! I will watch this.

Comment by Jessica – March 31, 2011 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hey, you kids! Get off my show!

Comment by Rock Golf – March 31, 2011 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait! Sounds like a hoot!

Comment by Jeanne – March 31, 2011 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! This is good news. I love her. I will definately watch.

Comment by Terri – March 31, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is going to be greeted with groans and moans and much hate directed to me, BUT enough with the Betty White accolades! I rue the day that Snickers bar commercial aired. It’s so nice to see an older performer make a living in this youth-oriented climate, and I was a huge fan of hers up to and including the Golden Girls, but enough of her smarmy sex talk and innuendo! She has worn out her welcome in my home!

Comment by Selbs – March 31, 2011 12:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow! I think this will do well if it ends up as funny as it sounds.

Comment by Mark – March 31, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Repeat after me:
    There is no such thing as too much Betty White.
    There is no such thing as too much Betty White.
    There is no such thing as too much Betty White.

Lorne Michaels needs to set up a return to SNL ASAP.

Comment by John Berggren – March 31, 2011 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is this? Only the best thing ever. Betty!

Comment by HI – March 31, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omg can’t wait!! I love Betty!!! She is a national treasure!!

Comment by Aileen – March 31, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I saw a brief mention of this, and thought it was going to be old people being pranked. I thought it sounded more like an SNL sketch in which the victims would be constantly dropping dead with heart attacks. The actual show (with young people being pranked BY old people) has a lot more potential. I suspect it will be disappointing, though–shows in which people play practical jokes on other people aren’t really very funny, in my experience.

Comment by Tego Livi – March 31, 2011 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Have you ever seen the show Just for Laughs Gags?? It’s filmed in the Montreal area and that’s exactly what the show is….unsuspecting people being pranked! It’s been on for years so it must be doing well and people are watching. Don’t forget about Ashton Kucher’s Punked show and waaaayyy before your time (most likely) there used to be a show called Candid Camera (now Betty White herself would remember that show!). I’m sure the show will be a hit, especially with Betty hosting it.

Comment by Linda – April 4, 2011 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s actually a Belgian format. In our country it looks like this:

Comment by BenidormBastard – April 1, 2011 01:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I just love Betty White. I hope I’m going as strong as she is at 90.

Comment by C – April 5, 2011 12:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post