White Collar Stars Matt Bomer and Tim DeKay Get Salary Bumps

Matt Bomer and Tim DeKay are back at work on Season 3 of USA Network’s White Collar, both with new deals.

I hear that the two actors renegotiated separately their deals with White Collar producer Fox TV Studios, each receiving a significant salary bump in return for adding an extra year to their current contracts for the show.

White Collar Season 3 Casting News

The new paychecks are each said to be in the $80,000-$100,000 per episode range, with Bomer (who plays the show’s central character, con man Neal Caffrey) getting slightly more.

The two actors’ previous salaries were in the $50,000/episode range.

Renegotiating actors’ deals, trading higher compensation for an additional year to their contracts, is common practice after the second season of successful series.

White Collar Promotes Hilarie Burton to Series Regular

White Collar premieres its third season on June 7.

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: Contract Talks, News

1. lama says:

eventhough i know that other actor in series on the main chanels has more … but really 100 000 dollar for 8 day work is a lot … i can understand why everybody wants to be an actor .. i think hugh laurie on house is paid arround 600 000 dollars/ episodes… that is really tooo much ..

• Mark says:

Why do you care what they make? Supply and demand is the cornerstone to a Capitalist society. They’re in demand and make the networks considerable chunks of cash, so they make considerable chunks of cash themselves.

In the specific case of Hugh Laurie, I’m willing to bet he works longer and harder than you. 12+ hour days, walking with a limp, in a different voice, 5000 miles from his family.

Why shouldn’t he be paid for one of the most watched shows on the planet?

• noitsnot says:

No it’s not, not when the ONLY reason anyone watches “House” is to see, well, House. He deserves every penny he gets.

• Josh says:

The amount of money they make reflects the amount of money they earn for the network. If the show didn’t earn millions upon millions in advertising, they wouldn’t be earning big paychecks.

• Mindy says:

“House” is the most watched show in the world. Plus, Hugh Laurie is also an executive producer. And part of his pay comes from the back end profits. That should explain that figure to you, no?

2. Toto says:

Great! Terrific show and Bomer [Adonis' more GQ brother] deserves to be paid even more than that. No mention of a salary boost for Tiffany Theissen who is very good on the show.

3. Valerie says:

Well deserved! I love these guys, though I wonder if they might have done better if they renegotiated together, as some actors occasionally do? After all, these guys have become synonymous with their roles, and the general fandom agree the show is nothing without one or the other…

4. Amanda says:

It is well deserved, I actually don’t see Bomer as the star of the show, to me the star of the show is the chemistry between both actors. They play-off each other so well.

5. Bella says:

I agree with Amanda. I see Matt Bomer and Tim DeKay on equal ground, as the chemistry between them is what makes this show a cut above so many others that have had that kind of plotline.

• RP says:

Agreed! Congrats to them, it’s a great show and I can’t imagine it working without either of them. As characters, Neal is incredibly good-looking and smooth, but you have to buy that he did it all for love and is secretly a good guy. And Peter is very much a good guy but also likable enough to kind of “turn” Neal and even Mozzy, and that’s also really hard to find, but they totally make it work!

6. susela says:

Bomer is not the show’s central character; Bomer and DeKay together are the show’s central characters. The show couldn’t exist without either of them—and personally, I watch for DeKay. He shouldn’t get any less than Bomer for his work.

• TF says:

Sorry, Bomer/Neal is the show’s central character. He might not be the most important to you, but he’s the lead.

• NLP says:

I agree. I think the chemistry between the two of them is what makes the show. But I watch primarily for Tim DeKay. I hope the salary differential doesn’t cause friction. I think it’s a bad idea to give Bomer more.

(Also, I think it’s hard for us normal folk to think that actors are “worth” their massive salaries. Because, of course, in a fairer world they wouldn’t be. Mother Theresa would’ve been one of the highest paid people in the world. Good teachers would be close behind. But you can’t argue with capitalism (Well, you can, but good luck with that. Didn’t work so well for Stalin and Castro and all their devotees.) Considering the way the industry works, Laurie, DeKay, & Bomer obviously ARE worth they are being paid.)

7. Lu says:

They deserve it. Both actors are great, the chemistry is like no other and producers should keep them happy. Good for them!

8. Elizabeth says:

I agree with the sentiments above. It’s well deserved. I love both men. They are terrific in their roles and have great chemistry!

9. Oye says:

And yet this network/show still keeps Sharif Atkins on at a “guest star’s”/local hire salary, which is pittance, despite the fact he’s done as many shows (30) as Matt and Tim and waaaaaay more than Hilarie Burton, who gets $30,000 an ep. It’s b*llsh*t.

• TF says:

$30k per ep for Hilarie Burton is a joke. What the hell are they thinking? They could take her away completely and she wouldn’t be missed. What a waste of $$$.

10. Bob says:

USA Network could teach AMC a LOT about negotiating contracts for shows. AMC could be willing to toss out the best show they’ll EVER see in order to squeeze the production company dry.

• Excellent Point! says:

Hey Bob! I agree wholeheartedly with your statement above, and given the Mad Men mess that is currently in place between AMC, Lionsgate, and Matt Weiner, their power struggle is at an all time high. YEAH for USA, White Collar, Bomer, DeKay AND the fans!!!!

RE: MM, Weiner keeps saying that he is trying to save people’s jobs and he says the figure he expects to be paid is being stated incorrectly (though he won’t clarify what that number actually is for 13 episodes). In any case, why not conceded to splitting things 50/50: pare down the group by one person/actor and let them add one more minute of commercials per week.

I just don’t get it. Clearly all of these folks make more in one year than most of us will see in a lifetime, yet all they do is bicker.

11. VentusAstrum says:

I have to agree with the comments about Matt and Tim being worth the same amount of money equally. *Both* men are supposed to be the central characters in the show.
    Personally, I agree with susela. I like both men, but prefer Tim/Peter. I find it *extremely* aggravating that, come promo time, Tim does not receive the same amount of airtime to push the show. This is not fair to him. Period.

12. Caro says:

I’m just glad White Collar is back! It’s a GREAT show and it’s the BEST on tv at the moment! Can’t wait WC returns!

13. Melis says:

When they say they added a year to their contracts, is that a year after the third season, or is the third season that extra year?

14. Jana says:

Are we going to hear more about actors salaries here? Because i find it really interesting and I’d love to hear about those negotiations more often :)

15. Whitney says:

Matt Bomer is in more scenes than Tim Dekay, work longer hours, goes on talk shows and other media eventsto promote the show… so he definitely should get the bigger salary. I like both men, and the entire cast really ( Willie, Tiffanny, Sharif, Marsha and Hilarie ) . Liking them doesn’t mean they deserve more pay when their role is smaller than another’s.