Fall TV Preview

Pilots: Will Arnett Plays Husband To Applegate

Here’s an interesting development, though not an arrested one: Will Arnett, who despite being heavily courted was not planning to go up for any pilots this spring, has signed on to star opposite Christina Applegate in NBC’s untitled comedy from former Saturday Night Light scribe Emily Spivey, Deadline reports.

Catch Up On All of TVLine’s Pilot Casting News

The pilot — executive produced by SNL overlord Lorne Michaels — offers an irreverent look at parenthood through the eyes of an acerbic working mother (Applegate) and her stay-at-home husband, as well as other opinionated parents.

It just hit me: Applegate and Arnett will be married… with children. (You don’t get that sort of added flourish with other sites, folks.)

SNL alum (I’m sensing a pattern here…) Maya Rudolph recently was cast as Applegate’s coworker and BFF.

Arnett’s been all over the dial this TV season, first fronting Fox’s ill-fated Running Wilde and also reprising his 30 Rock role as Devon Banks. He is also set to appear in The Office‘s season finale, a piece of casting news that spurred speculation that his character would ultimately seize the reins at Dunder Mifflin because — if you hadn’t heard — Steve Carell is leaving.

Tags:

Comments (16)

• Snore. Sounds like another fail.

Comment by Jason – March 30, 2011 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope this is good? I miss having Christina Applegate as a series regular somewhere. I adored her on Samantha Who?

Comment by Summer – March 30, 2011 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What happened to him replacing Michael on in the Office? I don’t know about this pilot news

Comment by Marques – March 30, 2011 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh! I wanted him to be on The Office as a regular so badly. But I’d watch anything he’s in – the guy is hilarious.

Comment by Sharada – March 30, 2011 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long as Lorne is involved it has a chance. Like 30 Rock and P&R, his shows are pretty funny.

Comment by topoopon – March 30, 2011 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • P&R is not a Lorne show and a lot funnier than 30 Rock

Comment by KT – April 1, 2011 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hope it works out for Will. I wasn’t against him joining The Office. I like him a lot and I absolutely love his wife, Amy Poehler.

Comment by Elizabeth – March 30, 2011 06:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Does this mean he won’t be the new boss on The Office after all? Because I still have my fingers crossed it’s Ricky Gervais. Though I have a feeling he has way too many irons in the fire to be taking on that gig. I also have a theory we won’t find out who the new boss is until next season, and perhaps they haven’t even cast a permanent boss yet. But what does everything I’m talking about have to do with milk and ducks? =) Good luck Arnett on the new venture! You are [hearted].

Comment by Amber – March 30, 2011 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a talented cast so far. Love Will Arnett, hope this is a good one.

Comment by RP – March 30, 2011 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe he will do some “illusions” for us on the show ;)

Comment by sonya – March 30, 2011 08:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news — for The Office (he can’t be next season’s boss if he’s doing this). Bad news for Applegate, though.

Comment by ThatBob – March 30, 2011 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will Arnett = this show is doomed.

Comment by darn – March 30, 2011 09:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, if he had a deal to be the new The Office boss, then he wouldn’t be able to sign on to a pilot show. Producers of shows aren’t going to put someone in a pilot who won’t be able to do the show if it gets picked up. Too much money involved to recast and possibly fail. So there’s your answer on The Office boss possibility, folks.

Comment by Bob – March 31, 2011 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like this pairing.

Applegate and Arnett could easily carry off playing a married couple, even though their characters are a lot like their last sitcom roles: Samantha (Who?) Newly was a workaholic until her accident and Steve (Running) Wilde stayed at home (even though he was very, very, very) rich. I feel they’d both be perfectly cast.

And best of all, it’s on NBC which gave even the abomination that was Outsourced a full year, so I have no doubt that if Applegate’s and Arnett’s devoted fanbases tune in, their new show could be on the air for years to come.

Comment by Scott – March 31, 2011 06:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sounds really promising! Love all three of the actors cast so far. Plus, now maybe my dream of Darryl becoming the Office boss will happen.

Comment by Nicole – March 31, 2011 06:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m excited. I haven’t always been a huge Christina Applegate fan but I find her reasonably likable, the Maya Rudolph plus Will Arnett thing sealed the deal for my future DVR list. Plus, Emily Spivey wrote some of my favorite sketches on SNL so I think it will have a great tone.

Comment by hotfizz – March 31, 2011 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post