Kyle Chandler Courted For FX's Powers

Friday Night Lights star Kyle Chandler — who turned down a slew of offers for broadcast pilots this season — is now being courted for FX’s drama pilot Powers.

Based on the graphic novel series by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming, the project is a police procedural set in a world where superpowers are relatively common. It  centers on two detectives, Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim, in a homicide department that specializes in cases involving “powers.”

FX confirmed it was moving forward with Powers at its annual upfront presentation on Tuesday; it will vie with Outlaw Country, a Nashville-set drama starring John Hawkes (Deadwood), Mary Steenburgen (Joan Of Arcadia) and Luke Grimes (Brothers & Sisters), for a spot on the cabler’s schedule next winter.

Chandler will make a decision about Powers after he reads a new version of the script incorporating his notes. If Chandler signs on, it would mark a reunion of sorts with his Friday Night Lights wife Connie Britton. The actress recently signed on to star in her own FX pilot, the Ryan Murphy-Brad Falchuk-produced American Horror Story, which is a very strong contender for a pick-up and fall debut on FX.

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Casting News, Fall TV Preview, News, Pilots, Scoop

1. cheri says:

I will follow Coach Taylor wherever he goes…hope it is a worthy show for him!

2. Bee says:

SHUT YOUR BIG FAT MOUTH. omg is this real? i’d pass out. CANNOT wait for him to be on my TV again. amazing person and actor. now why couldn’t he and connie be on the same FX show :(

3. Chmarin says:

Connie Britton AND Kyle Chandler on FX? The only way this could’ve been any better is if they were on the same show.
    Still awesome, though!

4. Elizabeth says:

Coach and Tami Taylor together again? I would actually consider getting cable to see that!

5. Matt says:

I like him, but I don’t see him as Walker. Doesn’t have the physical presence that Walker needs. He might not make a bad Kutter, though. Has he ever played a d-bag?

6. Renee says:

My adoration for this guy almost reaches a Nathan Fillion level.

7. Nicole says:

If Chandler’s in it, I’m watching it. Simple as that. Plus, it sounds kind of awesome? I’ve never read the graphic novels, but I like the concept.

8. Ellen in NYC says:

I love that guy. But I’d rather see him on a hit show on network. Or USA where they know how to promote shows.

9. John Berggren says:

This just went from somewhat interested to “when can I set my DVR?”

10. shockpop08 says:

Would watch him in anything, but I’m a little unsure about this plot. I mean how many cops and superhero show’s do we have on television now. If he choose’s to do it, I hope it’s something spectacular, because we need him back on television for a long period of time!

• Nerdista says:

Well, the comic is spectacular. It’s really unusual. You’ll be happy I’m sure!

• Tyler says:

How many cop shows, a bajillion, but “now” is a misleading word because look it up, we’ve never not had cop shows on TV.

How many superhero shows…like two? Maaaaybe 3 if you stretch the definition, but Smallville’s almost over anyway.

11. Joe Jackson says:

Powers sounds a lot like 17th Precinct

• Dan says:

Except Powers has been around for more than 10 years, and has had some really good, really gritty plot twists over the years. 17th Precinct sounds like a rip off of the comic series Fables, and has another fairy tale show in competition with it already.

12. Scott says:

Or 17th Precinct sounds like Powers with Magic.

13. Kelli says:

I will watch any show he is on faithfully.

14. Doug says:

I like Powers, I love Chandler, but I think this is an awful match together though.

15. Nerdista says:

OH. MY. GOD. I love this. I haven’t been able to imagine anyone as Walker until this. I hope it works out. He’s not quite as big as I was thinking they’d cast (actual size wise) but he’s def. got the emotional depth needed. I wonder if they’ll do the “Monkey Issue” ever. I am so excited.

16. Mick says:

I like Kyle Chandler and John Hawkes, so whatever happens I will be happy.

17. I almost hope Kyle Chandler doesn’t take this part. I think he can do something better. And, I would love to see him do more movies for a while at least, something with a romantic lead and classic, like the old Hollywood movies. Time for him to show people what a really great actor he is. Of course, I will watch anything with Kyle in it. I have been a fan since “Homefront” and I love this man.

Best Looking…Best Actor…Kyle Chandler!

18. Nick says:

He’d actually be a pretty decent Walker. But it won’t matter if they don’t let Katee Sackoff play Deena Pilgrim. Pilgrim = season 1 and 2 Kara Thrace.

• daisy says:

Totally agree, would love to see Katee Sackhoff in this and am so bummed she’s doing another show. Would have loved to see Katee & Kyle together!

19. Anonymous says:

Just found this picture after looking for info….are these guys involved? Theyre “Walking Dead” piece was awesome…..