Fall TV Preview

Kyle Chandler Courted For FX's Powers

Friday Night Lights star Kyle Chandler — who turned down a slew of offers for broadcast pilots this season — is now being courted for FX’s drama pilot Powers.

Based on the graphic novel series by Brian Michael Bendis and Michael Avon Oeming, the project is a police procedural set in a world where superpowers are relatively common. It  centers on two detectives, Christian Walker and Deena Pilgrim, in a homicide department that specializes in cases involving “powers.”

FX confirmed it was moving forward with Powers at its annual upfront presentation on Tuesday; it will vie with Outlaw Country, a Nashville-set drama starring John Hawkes (Deadwood), Mary Steenburgen (Joan Of Arcadia) and Luke Grimes (Brothers & Sisters), for a spot on the cabler’s schedule next winter.

Chandler will make a decision about Powers after he reads a new version of the script incorporating his notes. If Chandler signs on, it would mark a reunion of sorts with his Friday Night Lights wife Connie Britton. The actress recently signed on to star in her own FX pilot, the Ryan Murphy-Brad Falchuk-produced American Horror Story, which is a very strong contender for a pick-up and fall debut on FX.

Comments (31)

• I will follow Coach Taylor wherever he goes…hope it is a worthy show for him!

Comment by cheri – March 30, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SHUT YOUR BIG FAT MOUTH. omg is this real? i’d pass out. CANNOT wait for him to be on my TV again. amazing person and actor. now why couldn’t he and connie be on the same FX show :(

Comment by Bee – March 30, 2011 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • sorry about the big fat mouth thing. i got excited :)

Comment by Bee – March 30, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Connie Britton AND Kyle Chandler on FX? The only way this could’ve been any better is if they were on the same show.
    Still awesome, though!

Comment by Chmarin – March 30, 2011 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Coach and Tami Taylor together again? I would actually consider getting cable to see that!

Comment by Elizabeth – March 30, 2011 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. Just on the same channel.

Comment by Renee – March 30, 2011 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • who doesnt have cable in 2011? yet has the net?

Comment by Ben Kabak – March 31, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like him, but I don’t see him as Walker. Doesn’t have the physical presence that Walker needs. He might not make a bad Kutter, though. Has he ever played a d-bag?

Comment by Matt – March 30, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was worried about this too but I guess you can’t be too literal. I’m sure he’ll do great!

Comment by Nerdista – March 30, 2011 06:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My adoration for this guy almost reaches a Nathan Fillion level.

Comment by Renee – March 30, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Chandler’s in it, I’m watching it. Simple as that. Plus, it sounds kind of awesome? I’ve never read the graphic novels, but I like the concept.

Comment by Nicole – March 30, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love that guy. But I’d rather see him on a hit show on network. Or USA where they know how to promote shows.

Comment by Ellen in NYC – March 30, 2011 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, except every single one of their shows is complete BS.

Comment by Chmarin – March 30, 2011 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m sure you’re right. I am prejudging, and it’s hard to picture him doing anything, but FNL. He’s a wonderful actor so I think he will be just fine.

Comment by shockpop08 – March 30, 2011 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • sorry wrong reply ^above…supposed to be two down

Comment by shockpop08 – March 30, 2011 07:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This just went from somewhat interested to “when can I set my DVR?”

Comment by John Berggren – March 30, 2011 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Would watch him in anything, but I’m a little unsure about this plot. I mean how many cops and superhero show’s do we have on television now. If he choose’s to do it, I hope it’s something spectacular, because we need him back on television for a long period of time!

Comment by shockpop08 – March 30, 2011 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, the comic is spectacular. It’s really unusual. You’ll be happy I’m sure!

Comment by Nerdista – March 30, 2011 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How many cop shows, a bajillion, but “now” is a misleading word because look it up, we’ve never not had cop shows on TV.

How many superhero shows…like two? Maaaaybe 3 if you stretch the definition, but Smallville’s almost over anyway.

Comment by Tyler – April 9, 2011 10:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Powers sounds a lot like 17th Precinct

Comment by Joe Jackson – March 30, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except Powers has been around for more than 10 years, and has had some really good, really gritty plot twists over the years. 17th Precinct sounds like a rip off of the comic series Fables, and has another fairy tale show in competition with it already.

Comment by Dan – March 30, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You’re thinking of Grimm, actually. But that only makes yor point stronger, since there are THREE.

Comment by John – March 30, 2011 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Or 17th Precinct sounds like Powers with Magic.

Comment by Scott – March 30, 2011 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will watch any show he is on faithfully.

Comment by Kelli – March 30, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Powers, I love Chandler, but I think this is an awful match together though.

Comment by Doug – March 30, 2011 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH. MY. GOD. I love this. I haven’t been able to imagine anyone as Walker until this. I hope it works out. He’s not quite as big as I was thinking they’d cast (actual size wise) but he’s def. got the emotional depth needed. I wonder if they’ll do the “Monkey Issue” ever. I am so excited.

Comment by Nerdista – March 30, 2011 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Kyle Chandler and John Hawkes, so whatever happens I will be happy.

Comment by Mick – March 30, 2011 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I almost hope Kyle Chandler doesn’t take this part. I think he can do something better. And, I would love to see him do more movies for a while at least, something with a romantic lead and classic, like the old Hollywood movies. Time for him to show people what a really great actor he is. Of course, I will watch anything with Kyle in it. I have been a fan since “Homefront” and I love this man.

Best Looking…Best Actor…Kyle Chandler!

Comment by N. Jayne Hasselroth – March 31, 2011 04:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’d actually be a pretty decent Walker. But it won’t matter if they don’t let Katee Sackoff play Deena Pilgrim. Pilgrim = season 1 and 2 Kara Thrace.

Comment by Nick – April 1, 2011 11:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Totally agree, would love to see Katee Sackhoff in this and am so bummed she’s doing another show. Would have loved to see Katee & Kyle together!

Comment by daisy – April 2, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just found this picture after looking for info….are these guys involved? Theyre “Walking Dead” piece was awesome…..

Comment by Anonymous – May 6, 2011 03:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post