Fall TV Preview

Wonder Woman Gets a Makeover: Yea Or Nay?

TV’s (prospective) new Wonder Woman was spied out and about, chasing some ne’er-do-well on the streets of Los Angeles this week — and Great Caesar’s Ghost, she was sporting super new threads!

Gone are the briiiiiight blue vinyl slacks, replaced with a much more practical, foot chase-friendly stretchy… something. (I’m a guy, don’t ask for sartorial specifics.)

Also, the blue boots spied in the original publicity still for NBC’s Wonder Woman pilot apparently got the boot, replaced with a more expected and comic book-faithful red. (The new pics also show series lead Adrianne Palicki wearing a much lower heel, though these kicks may simply be for action sequences.)

Compare, ogle and contrast the two looks below, then vote on whether “new” is necessarily improved. (Additional photos of Palicki and her stunt double can be seen here, while @WonderboyLB has posted exclusive video of the shoot here.)

Comments (106)

• I’m glad they released the early image and updated the costume based on the negative feedback. This is much more in line with Wonder Woman.
    I’m still not fond of her face. I realize this is an action scene but that is one ugly face she’s pulling.

Comment by John Berggren – March 30, 2011 10:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That look is called “gritty determination.”

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 30, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It looks more like “Blue Amazon Steel”, perhaps she can use it for catalog work or other lighter situations…. I’m glad they changed the color fo the boots to the more traditional red color. An improvement, but I’m still on the fence on this show, but I’ll give it a chance.

Comment by Mo – March 30, 2011 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She is ugly. Doesn’t matter what they do with the costume, her chin is too mannish for her to be pretty.

Comment by JellyBelly56 – March 30, 2011 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oh you’re one of those people are you. Ugliness comes in all forms nonsense56.

Comment by sadtroll – March 30, 2011 06:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • You are crazy if you don’t think Adrianne Palicki is beautiful.

Comment by Yo – March 31, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • you are crazy she is pretty dont say that perfect wonder woman

Comment by carlos – April 16, 2011 11:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s better. But then again, it couldn’t get much worse…

Comment by George – March 30, 2011 10:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sure it could… they could make it look like the new Captain America outfit… although at least then, they wouldn’t have to film 20 takes for a 30-second running scene just to get enough family-friendly shots for network TV…

Comment by Kevin M. – March 30, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Definitely better… I’d love to see them change the bustier to have straps like the current comic version though… (I think her top would look better that way anyway, and it would certainly be more functional)

Her expression is pretty silly, but eh… just a weird still to release. :)

Comment by XK – March 30, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Someone else pointed out also that having a PVC top and leather boots is a really bad mix, and I have to agree.

Comment by XK – March 30, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. The flat boots and non-shiny pants are a huge step towards practicality, but she really does need some straps if she’s going to avoid an embarrassing wardrobe malfunction. As for the fabric, I’m not a fan of PVC in general. Perhaps the top (hopefully with straps), could be leather to match the boots?

Comment by Ace – March 30, 2011 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree and agree. Straps would be so much more flattering and functional (the action still they released almost makes her top look mannish…..aside from the fact that we’re THISCLOSE to seeing …ya know….the rest of the story!!) Also the PVC top has to go. The darker red leather would be much hotter anyway!! (

Comment by HCN – March 30, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I, too, wish they would get rid of the bustier Completely. The new slacks are a sensible improvement. I’m sure Adrianne appreciates the change for her own comfort. I’ve Never liked Wonder Woman’s costume because she always had Too Much Flesh EXPOSED! She’s always been beautiful even fully dressed, but seriously, she’s a super-crime fighter who should be dressed more appropriately for the job; not to invite ogling. She’s an awesome superherione and shouldn’t capture attention by the possibility of her Boobs falling out during a fight. It’s obvious who designed her costume since her creation. However, it’s time for ‘Real World’ Practicality in a ‘live action’ fantasy-drama, IMO.

Comment by Imzadia – March 30, 2011 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The pants are better. The Bustier? Seriously- they need to give her a more sensible top- or at least one that magically stays up. No one wants to watch the superhero stop to adjust her girls in the middle of a chase.

Comment by Emily – March 30, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The pants and toned-down makeup are an improvememt.
        Now they need to give her a top that doesn’t look like her boobs are gonna fall out any second.

Comment by ash – April 1, 2011 05:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She ought to be flying, not running.

Comment by devomblr.tumblr.com – March 30, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Holy crap she looks bad what the heck is she doin? And the costume still looks like garbage, it looks like they bought at Walmart.

Comment by Troy – March 30, 2011 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you 100%. All her pics looks like she’s constipated. LOL

Comment by Aileen – March 30, 2011 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ummm all they really did was change her boot color. I am not impressed

Comment by Jamie – March 30, 2011 10:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • they changed her pants too.

Comment by Samantha – March 30, 2011 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They got rid of the bright blue disco pants as well.

Comment by Renee – March 30, 2011 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s hard to given an accurate assessment since I can’t get past the expression on her face.

Comment by Jennifer – March 30, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • A little midriff couldn’t hurt

Comment by The Lost Apostle – March 30, 2011 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What is this, the late ’90s?

Comment by John – March 30, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ha! Love your reply!

Comment by Mandy – March 30, 2011 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like her boobs are ready to explode.

Comment by mike – March 30, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL!! I had the same thought. Yeesh they are gonna come flying out of that top!

Comment by brandi – March 30, 2011 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL! Ten bucks that she already had a little ‘accident’ involving some exposed skin over there while filming.

Comment by Jason – March 30, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ADRIANNE PALICKI AS WONDER WOMAN @WonderboyLB EXCLUSIVE VIDEO http://twitvid.com/GICUL

Comment by CHRIS – March 30, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How could I forget! I have added a link to story; VERY nice get, buddy. (Though I maintain she needs to kick up her knees more when running.)

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – March 30, 2011 11:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s an improvement, but only just. It’s still not great.

Comment by Matt – March 30, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s better but still doesn’t capture the essence of W.W. and think that maybe the problem isn’t only the costume but Adrianne too. I hope she can pull off playing a character like this one. I’ve seen her in other shows and while she’s okay, she’s not the best.

Comment by Nilsy Feliciano – March 30, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked the first outfit better. Just add the red boots and if nothing else I’ll watch for the costume.

Comment by R.D.E. – March 30, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should have had her doing the same pose. You can’t really judge the outfit from her running in it. I do like the red boots and less shiny pants better though.

Comment by Mandy – March 30, 2011 10:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Your comment, thus far, seems the most logical. Have her stand in the same exact pose then compare. Secondly, I think it’s pretty cool that they’re leaking some of the pics of her in action. As HUGE of a Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman fan that I am and always will be, I think this new actress will do it some justice, and put her own spin on the role, as she should. Speaking of spin, I’m DYING to know how she changes costumes! Hoping that it’s either with the twirling lasso going down her body or the twirl itself. Hmmm…. Also, let’s give some credit to the producers for actually listening to the feedback on the costume. And made changes to the things that were most bitched about: the boot color, the shiny bright blue pants & the fire engine red hooker lipstick. All changed! All for the better. And let us not forget that this is NOT the Lynda Carter series, so we all have to move on…just not forget her. That’s all I’m saying.

Comment by kanezona – March 31, 2011 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually like the 70′s version better… the “bathing suit style” totally rocked it. But, if they were going with leggings, there is a stretchy satin look, and NOT the navy. The red boots? Much better.

Comment by lisa, too! – March 30, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SO much better. The pants and red boots make it so. I might be inclined to watch the pilot now.

Comment by Allie – March 30, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is an improvement. It shows that they was listening and anyone that don’t agree has written the potential of the show off a long time ago without seeing a single clip.

Comment by Alex C – March 30, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope the show is better than the wardrobe. This has stinker written all over it.

NBC is in a hole and just keep digging. And they thought their new shows this year flopped (possible exception being Harry’s Law), just wait until next year! I wanted “The Cape” top be a winner, and thought it would be until I saw the Pilot.

How long until they go away from scripted completely and go with reality television and game shows?

Comment by Matt – March 30, 2011 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Depends. When is the earth ending? If they show only stuff like that, I won’t need a TV anymore… And my TV gets a great workout.

Comment by Mandy – March 30, 2011 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They made no effort to make the gold accents on the chest and belt look like anything other than cheap plastic from a child’s Halloween costume and her lasso of truth is a glittery piece of cord. She looks ridiculous even if the boots and pants are more in line with the comic book series.

Comment by Jessica – March 30, 2011 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How hard would it have been to make the metal look like metal and not plastic and the leather to look like leather and not vinyl?

It still doesn’t look authentic.

Comment by T.Lee – March 30, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • …if you are honestly looking at the outfit, you’re a dumbass. Boobie take over!

Comment by Julie – March 30, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thanks, Matt! Next side-by-side: the leaked pilot script next to the revised shooting draft! Then we’ll see how well they’re taking feedback.

Comment by John – March 30, 2011 11:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Outfit still looks awful. Actress is still ugly.

But the thing that bothers me is seeing her run. Why isn’t she flying? How come we can never get a faithful Wonder Woman from the page to the screen? It seems like it’s going to just be like the other series. Most of her powers will not be there and all we’re going to see is her running around lassoing people.

Comment by lethargic – March 30, 2011 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is just worse. By the way, why did they cast this person as WW; she does not work. Linda Carter was WW, and why re-make something and use a poor quality. Go back to the drawing board and look for the RIGHT person for the role. Use the original costume and use the original WW.

Bad choices all the way around..

Comment by holdyoear – March 30, 2011 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a fan of the first TV series, not the comic book. I would prefer the costume to not be pants. It just isn’t what I expect when I think of Wonder Woman.

Comment by Ryan – March 30, 2011 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She looks like she’s running track in high school

Comment by Michael – March 30, 2011 11:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The bustier must employ the best boob tape in the universe

Comment by Luis – March 30, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, doesn´t she looks like a… what´s the word… MAN??? it looks like she gained a little weight between the first photo and the second (or maybe it´s just the light os something like that)

Comment by STARK – March 30, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Still looks cheap but I wouldn’t say it’s WORSE than the first one. Whatever. It’s a comic book show. I’ll take the cheesy costume if the writing/character development is okay.

Comment by Jenny – March 30, 2011 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They fixed the main three things I hated about the other costume:
    -the boots should be red
    -the pant color was too light
    -everything was too shiny

So at least they’re showing some improvement.

Comment by Katie – March 30, 2011 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like that they made the boots red, but wow this is such a bad costume. And the top is quite ill fitting! I have not seen the old show or read the comics but people say there are straps in the current going comic? I think that’d be a much better look for the bustier…

And really, what is it with this combo? Leather boots, something that looks like tight track suit pants, an ilfitting pvc top and children’s plastic Halloween accessories? Why not make it all leather with proper metal detailing? Would’ve looked so much better and much cooler and fitting a modern tv show tbh.

Comment by Pocki – March 30, 2011 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is by far worse. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t LIKE the original pants, but changing them gives the whole look a mismatched quality. By keeping the shiney vinyl-y top and adding fabric-looking pants, it looks like something my mom would have put together in my basement in 1994 for a cheesy Halloween costume. Also, the sides where the stars are…The seam looks way bulky and overdone, almost like they were trying to get a blue-jean look. Wait, I’ve got it…Someone dyed some of those ridiculous pajama jeans blue and ran with it, didn’t they?

Comment by dq18 – March 30, 2011 11:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Okay, seriously, Adrianne Palicki is a gorgeous woman, why to do both pictures not do her any justice. The inaction one I can forgive but the other, not so much.

Comment by raelee514 – March 30, 2011 11:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I didn’t have as much of a problem with the original picture and costume as much as I did her facial expression (which got worse in the 2nd pic) and boot color. I also agree with everyone complaining about the cheap plastic look of the gold. I don’t know how you can make cheap gold look better. In the 70′s you could get away with vibrant colors (and I love vibrant colors) but now it looks silly. I guess it is a plus that they went with a non-shiny costume that she is able to move in and boots that wouldn’t kill her to run in. I also agree that she should have been doing the same pose so we can see the difference in costume alone. I like the stars down the side of the pants though. Is it me or did it look like they just painted the same boots red? Not that I’m complaining. The red had to be done to break up all the blue. Basically WW is like Superman and Captain America in that she should represent red white and blue (though Supes has the yellow instead). They are very American characters in their creation even though WW is an Amazon and Supes is an alien. I wonder how much of the problem with the original pic is just too much lighting? There are problems though, the gold, the tiara, the silver bracelets also looking cheap.

Comment by Joseph Huber – March 30, 2011 11:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, but they need to go back and recast this show. She just doesn’t cut it. It’ll be on less than two months.

Comment by Bob – March 30, 2011 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. She is just not right for this part. I am a big fan of the original show. I watched it as a child. She is not Wonder Woman.

Comment by MJ – March 31, 2011 03:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Huge improvement over the first picture. I’m hoping lighting/movie magic whatever will take care of the shiny vs. not and the very cheap looking gold. But they did not address the SILVER bracelets with a GOLD rope and costume.

Comment by Renee – March 30, 2011 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She ran so fast that the gold blew off the bracelets.

Comment by Mandy – March 30, 2011 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • MAJOR improvement. I notice that her waist in the promo photo is very much smaller though, photoshopping anyone?

Comment by Jones19 – March 30, 2011 11:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bring Back Linda Carter’s costume! Why mess with perfect??? At least bring back the shorts!!!!

Comment by MIke – March 30, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s *much* better. About 90% there — and I say that as a comcis geek. They’ve still got to fix:
    * The tiara — The tiara is supposed to look like a crown for a reason: because Diana is a *princess!* That ain’t a tiara; that’s a berette on steroids.
    * The bustier — Strangled parakeet on the bustier has to go in favor of the double-w insignia. Bustier must be rebuilt in a different fabric. It’s still too shiny. I recommend dyed suede (and although the spandex pants work now, they’d have to be changed to denim if the bustier were to get changed to leather.
    * The breast implants — Have to go. Palicki could play the part, but it’s ridonkulous for a feminist icon to preach how looks don’t really matter (and that is an important trope in Wonder Woman mythology) when she’s had totally unnecessary surgery to insert plastic sacs of gel in her body.

Comment by Rob J. – March 30, 2011 12:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’re not implants. It’s just a VERY unflattering top.

Comment by Ace – March 30, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Nope. They’re implants. You haven’t seen very many other pictures of Adrianne Palicki, have you?

Comment by Rob J. – March 30, 2011 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Well, I saw all of FNL, so…

Comment by Ace – March 30, 2011 09:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Reminds me of a song lyric:

Move ‘em on, head ‘em up
      Head ‘em up, move ‘em on
      Move ‘em on, head ‘em up
      Rawhide

Amazing what a push-up can do to “enhance” what’s not really there.

Comment by Bob – March 31, 2011 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THEY NEED SOMEONE WITH ACTUAL CURVES!

I understand she has some boobs on her but where are her hips her bum, shes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too skinny! And if they want to improve the costume to be better give her an ass!

Comment by Kate` – March 30, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • still don’t like the plastic looking “metal” parts, but the fabric pants are much better than the vinyl

Comment by darlene – March 30, 2011 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They also toned down the slut-tastic makeup, which I dig. Still not my fave but infinitely better.

Comment by Archphoenix – March 30, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Much better! Hey it might be good show

Comment by H – March 30, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LIKE!! Much better!!!

Comment by andrea – March 30, 2011 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had a feeling the costume would go through some changes before they actually filmed the show. Maybe they’ll change it further. The new pants and boots are definitely an improvement, but it makes no sense to have that much boobage when you’re running, and I still don’t get the silver cuffs when all of the other details on her costume are gold.

Comment by Carrie – March 30, 2011 12:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I pretty much agree with most others. It’s an improvement, but still not great by any means. I really don’t get what’s wrong with the classic costume. And this shiny plastic PVC mess still looks like something you’d buy online for Halloween — something you simply cannot say of either of Lynda’s costumes.

Comment by Alex – March 30, 2011 12:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You know what…? No, still very much no.

Comment by godzilla_foil – March 30, 2011 12:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The costume is better , but she needs to stay away from the catering truck

Comment by franks&beans – March 30, 2011 12:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a disappointment. They’re still missing the mark. She’s such a beautiful girl-where’s the intensity of this version of Adrianne Palicki?:

Comment by Kat – March 30, 2011 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do we *really* need a show where the star uses a costume? It’d be ok if it was a movie, but a weekly show? Well, let’s wait and see!

Comment by Annie – March 30, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post