Wonder Woman Gets a Makeover: Yea Or Nay?

TV’s (prospective) new Wonder Woman was spied out and about, chasing some ne’er-do-well on the streets of Los Angeles this week — and Great Caesar’s Ghost, she was sporting super new threads!

Gone are the briiiiiight blue vinyl slacks, replaced with a much more practical, foot chase-friendly stretchy… something. (I’m a guy, don’t ask for sartorial specifics.)

Also, the blue boots spied in the original publicity still for NBC’s Wonder Woman pilot apparently got the boot, replaced with a more expected and comic book-faithful red. (The new pics also show series lead Adrianne Palicki wearing a much lower heel, though these kicks may simply be for action sequences.)

Compare, ogle and contrast the two looks below, then vote on whether “new” is necessarily improved. (Additional photos of Palicki and her stunt double can be seen here, while @WonderboyLB has posted exclusive video of the shoot here.)

(polls)

1. John Berggren says:

I’m glad they released the early image and updated the costume based on the negative feedback. This is much more in line with Wonder Woman.
    I’m still not fond of her face. I realize this is an action scene but that is one ugly face she’s pulling.

2. George says:

It’s better. But then again, it couldn’t get much worse…

• Kevin M. says:

Sure it could… they could make it look like the new Captain America outfit… although at least then, they wouldn’t have to film 20 takes for a 30-second running scene just to get enough family-friendly shots for network TV…

3. XK says:

Definitely better… I’d love to see them change the bustier to have straps like the current comic version though… (I think her top would look better that way anyway, and it would certainly be more functional)

Her expression is pretty silly, but eh… just a weird still to release. :)

• XK says:

Someone else pointed out also that having a PVC top and leather boots is a really bad mix, and I have to agree.

• Ace says:

Agreed. The flat boots and non-shiny pants are a huge step towards practicality, but she really does need some straps if she’s going to avoid an embarrassing wardrobe malfunction. As for the fabric, I’m not a fan of PVC in general. Perhaps the top (hopefully with straps), could be leather to match the boots?

• HCN says:

Agree and agree. Straps would be so much more flattering and functional (the action still they released almost makes her top look mannish…..aside from the fact that we’re THISCLOSE to seeing …ya know….the rest of the story!!) Also the PVC top has to go. The darker red leather would be much hotter anyway!! (

• Imzadia says:

I, too, wish they would get rid of the bustier Completely. The new slacks are a sensible improvement. I’m sure Adrianne appreciates the change for her own comfort. I’ve Never liked Wonder Woman’s costume because she always had Too Much Flesh EXPOSED! She’s always been beautiful even fully dressed, but seriously, she’s a super-crime fighter who should be dressed more appropriately for the job; not to invite ogling. She’s an awesome superherione and shouldn’t capture attention by the possibility of her Boobs falling out during a fight. It’s obvious who designed her costume since her creation. However, it’s time for ‘Real World’ Practicality in a ‘live action’ fantasy-drama, IMO.

• Emily says:

The pants are better. The Bustier? Seriously- they need to give her a more sensible top- or at least one that magically stays up. No one wants to watch the superhero stop to adjust her girls in the middle of a chase.

• ash says:

The pants and toned-down makeup are an improvememt.
        Now they need to give her a top that doesn’t look like her boobs are gonna fall out any second.

4. She ought to be flying, not running.

5. Troy says:

Holy crap she looks bad what the heck is she doin? And the costume still looks like garbage, it looks like they bought at Walmart.

6. Jamie says:

Ummm all they really did was change her boot color. I am not impressed

7. Jennifer says:

It’s hard to given an accurate assessment since I can’t get past the expression on her face.

8. The Lost Apostle says:

A little midriff couldn’t hurt

9. mike says:

Looks like her boobs are ready to explode.

10. CHRIS says:

ADRIANNE PALICKI AS WONDER WOMAN @WonderboyLB EXCLUSIVE VIDEO http://twitvid.com/GICUL

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

How could I forget! I have added a link to story; VERY nice get, buddy. (Though I maintain she needs to kick up her knees more when running.)

11. Matt says:

It’s an improvement, but only just. It’s still not great.

12. Nilsy Feliciano says:

It’s better but still doesn’t capture the essence of W.W. and think that maybe the problem isn’t only the costume but Adrianne too. I hope she can pull off playing a character like this one. I’ve seen her in other shows and while she’s okay, she’s not the best.

13. R.D.E. says:

I liked the first outfit better. Just add the red boots and if nothing else I’ll watch for the costume.

14. Mandy says:

They should have had her doing the same pose. You can’t really judge the outfit from her running in it. I do like the red boots and less shiny pants better though.

• kanezona says:

Your comment, thus far, seems the most logical. Have her stand in the same exact pose then compare. Secondly, I think it’s pretty cool that they’re leaking some of the pics of her in action. As HUGE of a Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman fan that I am and always will be, I think this new actress will do it some justice, and put her own spin on the role, as she should. Speaking of spin, I’m DYING to know how she changes costumes! Hoping that it’s either with the twirling lasso going down her body or the twirl itself. Hmmm…. Also, let’s give some credit to the producers for actually listening to the feedback on the costume. And made changes to the things that were most bitched about: the boot color, the shiny bright blue pants & the fire engine red hooker lipstick. All changed! All for the better. And let us not forget that this is NOT the Lynda Carter series, so we all have to move on…just not forget her. That’s all I’m saying.

15. lisa, too! says:

I actually like the 70’s version better… the “bathing suit style” totally rocked it. But, if they were going with leggings, there is a stretchy satin look, and NOT the navy. The red boots? Much better.

16. Allie says:

SO much better. The pants and red boots make it so. I might be inclined to watch the pilot now.

17. Alex C says:

It is an improvement. It shows that they was listening and anyone that don’t agree has written the potential of the show off a long time ago without seeing a single clip.

18. Matt says:

I hope the show is better than the wardrobe. This has stinker written all over it.

NBC is in a hole and just keep digging. And they thought their new shows this year flopped (possible exception being Harry’s Law), just wait until next year! I wanted “The Cape” top be a winner, and thought it would be until I saw the Pilot.

How long until they go away from scripted completely and go with reality television and game shows?

• Mandy says:

Depends. When is the earth ending? If they show only stuff like that, I won’t need a TV anymore… And my TV gets a great workout.

19. Jessica says:

They made no effort to make the gold accents on the chest and belt look like anything other than cheap plastic from a child’s Halloween costume and her lasso of truth is a glittery piece of cord. She looks ridiculous even if the boots and pants are more in line with the comic book series.

20. T.Lee says:

How hard would it have been to make the metal look like metal and not plastic and the leather to look like leather and not vinyl?

It still doesn’t look authentic.

21. Julie says:

…if you are honestly looking at the outfit, you’re a dumbass. Boobie take over!

22. John says:

Thanks, Matt! Next side-by-side: the leaked pilot script next to the revised shooting draft! Then we’ll see how well they’re taking feedback.

23. lethargic says:

Outfit still looks awful. Actress is still ugly.

But the thing that bothers me is seeing her run. Why isn’t she flying? How come we can never get a faithful Wonder Woman from the page to the screen? It seems like it’s going to just be like the other series. Most of her powers will not be there and all we’re going to see is her running around lassoing people.

24. holdyoear says:

It is just worse. By the way, why did they cast this person as WW; she does not work. Linda Carter was WW, and why re-make something and use a poor quality. Go back to the drawing board and look for the RIGHT person for the role. Use the original costume and use the original WW.

Bad choices all the way around..

25. Ryan says:

I’m a fan of the first TV series, not the comic book. I would prefer the costume to not be pants. It just isn’t what I expect when I think of Wonder Woman.

26. Michael says:

She looks like she’s running track in high school

27. Luis says:

The bustier must employ the best boob tape in the universe

28. STARK says:

Wow, doesn´t she looks like a… what´s the word… MAN??? it looks like she gained a little weight between the first photo and the second (or maybe it´s just the light os something like that)

29. Jenny says:

Still looks cheap but I wouldn’t say it’s WORSE than the first one. Whatever. It’s a comic book show. I’ll take the cheesy costume if the writing/character development is okay.

30. Katie says:

They fixed the main three things I hated about the other costume:
    -the boots should be red
    -the pant color was too light
    -everything was too shiny

So at least they’re showing some improvement.

31. Pocki says:

I like that they made the boots red, but wow this is such a bad costume. And the top is quite ill fitting! I have not seen the old show or read the comics but people say there are straps in the current going comic? I think that’d be a much better look for the bustier…

And really, what is it with this combo? Leather boots, something that looks like tight track suit pants, an ilfitting pvc top and children’s plastic Halloween accessories? Why not make it all leather with proper metal detailing? Would’ve looked so much better and much cooler and fitting a modern tv show tbh.

32. dq18 says:

This is by far worse. Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t LIKE the original pants, but changing them gives the whole look a mismatched quality. By keeping the shiney vinyl-y top and adding fabric-looking pants, it looks like something my mom would have put together in my basement in 1994 for a cheesy Halloween costume. Also, the sides where the stars are…The seam looks way bulky and overdone, almost like they were trying to get a blue-jean look. Wait, I’ve got it…Someone dyed some of those ridiculous pajama jeans blue and ran with it, didn’t they?

33. raelee514 says:

Okay, seriously, Adrianne Palicki is a gorgeous woman, why to do both pictures not do her any justice. The inaction one I can forgive but the other, not so much.

34. Joseph Huber says:

I didn’t have as much of a problem with the original picture and costume as much as I did her facial expression (which got worse in the 2nd pic) and boot color. I also agree with everyone complaining about the cheap plastic look of the gold. I don’t know how you can make cheap gold look better. In the 70’s you could get away with vibrant colors (and I love vibrant colors) but now it looks silly. I guess it is a plus that they went with a non-shiny costume that she is able to move in and boots that wouldn’t kill her to run in. I also agree that she should have been doing the same pose so we can see the difference in costume alone. I like the stars down the side of the pants though. Is it me or did it look like they just painted the same boots red? Not that I’m complaining. The red had to be done to break up all the blue. Basically WW is like Superman and Captain America in that she should represent red white and blue (though Supes has the yellow instead). They are very American characters in their creation even though WW is an Amazon and Supes is an alien. I wonder how much of the problem with the original pic is just too much lighting? There are problems though, the gold, the tiara, the silver bracelets also looking cheap.

35. Bob says:

Sorry, but they need to go back and recast this show. She just doesn’t cut it. It’ll be on less than two months.

• MJ says:

I agree. She is just not right for this part. I am a big fan of the original show. I watched it as a child. She is not Wonder Woman.

36. Renee says:

Huge improvement over the first picture. I’m hoping lighting/movie magic whatever will take care of the shiny vs. not and the very cheap looking gold. But they did not address the SILVER bracelets with a GOLD rope and costume.

37. Jones19 says:

MAJOR improvement. I notice that her waist in the promo photo is very much smaller though, photoshopping anyone?

38. MIke says:

Bring Back Linda Carter’s costume! Why mess with perfect??? At least bring back the shorts!!!!

39. Rob J. says:

It’s *much* better. About 90% there — and I say that as a comcis geek. They’ve still got to fix:
    * The tiara — The tiara is supposed to look like a crown for a reason: because Diana is a *princess!* That ain’t a tiara; that’s a berette on steroids.
    * The bustier — Strangled parakeet on the bustier has to go in favor of the double-w insignia. Bustier must be rebuilt in a different fabric. It’s still too shiny. I recommend dyed suede (and although the spandex pants work now, they’d have to be changed to denim if the bustier were to get changed to leather.
    * The breast implants — Have to go. Palicki could play the part, but it’s ridonkulous for a feminist icon to preach how looks don’t really matter (and that is an important trope in Wonder Woman mythology) when she’s had totally unnecessary surgery to insert plastic sacs of gel in her body.

40. Kate` says:

THEY NEED SOMEONE WITH ACTUAL CURVES!

I understand she has some boobs on her but where are her hips her bum, shes waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too skinny! And if they want to improve the costume to be better give her an ass!

41. darlene says:

still don’t like the plastic looking “metal” parts, but the fabric pants are much better than the vinyl

42. Archphoenix says:

They also toned down the slut-tastic makeup, which I dig. Still not my fave but infinitely better.

43. H says:

Much better! Hey it might be good show

44. andrea says:

LIKE!! Much better!!!

45. Carrie says:

I had a feeling the costume would go through some changes before they actually filmed the show. Maybe they’ll change it further. The new pants and boots are definitely an improvement, but it makes no sense to have that much boobage when you’re running, and I still don’t get the silver cuffs when all of the other details on her costume are gold.

46. Alex says:

I pretty much agree with most others. It’s an improvement, but still not great by any means. I really don’t get what’s wrong with the classic costume. And this shiny plastic PVC mess still looks like something you’d buy online for Halloween — something you simply cannot say of either of Lynda’s costumes.

47. godzilla_foil says:

You know what…? No, still very much no.

48. franks&beans says:

The costume is better , but she needs to stay away from the catering truck

49. Kat says:

What a disappointment. They’re still missing the mark. She’s such a beautiful girl-where’s the intensity of this version of Adrianne Palicki?:

50. Annie says:

Do we *really* need a show where the star uses a costume? It’d be ok if it was a movie, but a weekly show? Well, let’s wait and see!