Exclusive

Glee Exclusive: Jonathan Groff Returns to [Major Spoiler Alert]!

Remember me telling you a few weeks back that there were no current plans for Jonathan Groff to reprise his role as Rachel’s evil ex Jesse St. James this season on Glee?

Those plans have changed — big time.

Sources confirm to me exclusively that the fan favorite has closed a deal to return for this season’s final three episodes.

Exclusive: Glee + Gaga = Biggest. Episode. Ever.

Groff exited Glee at the end of Season 1 when the Vocal Adrenaline frontman’s diabolical scheme to infiltrate and bring down New Directions was revealed. Next thing you know Jesse’s back with VA and Rachel’s heart is in tatters.

“He’s back to apologize to Rachel,” confides a source close to the show, “and perhaps get her back.”

Glee Spoiler Alert: Look Who’s Going to the Prom Together!

Thoughts? Pumped Lea Michele’s real-life BFF is back? Do you hope Jesse succeeds in winning back Rachel? Hit the comments!

1. Kel says:

I just want Finn to go back to normal – if this is the wake-up call he needs then I am all for it. I liked JEALOUS FINN!! PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN!!!! I just want Finn and Rachel together too – I mean this drama is so old!!!!! I hope that Finn wakes up from his stupor….

2. Ang says:

Love Jon Groff and glad to see him back.

Somehow I don’t think the “plans” changed though… Why would they just stick him in the last three episodes out of nowhere? It was planned all along.

3. ZINA says:

THANK GOODNESS!!! I love this couple. Finn is over for me. He’s not my favorite by any means. But the show needs to give us more of the storylines with the kids instead of focusing on the music and Kurt….give Rachel some time! I love Kurt but get him back home!!! to New Directions. I don’t like everyone being so spread out.

4. kris says:

This is promising. Can’t wait to see Jonathan Groff back with the rest of the Gleeks.

5. Sarah says:

YAY!!! i love jonathan groff <3 met him a few months ago when he was in london and he was such a sweetheart!!

6. Alicia 1 says:

THIS IS THE BEST SPOILER YOU HAVE EVER POSTED. EVER. JONATHAN GROFF IS THE BEST GUEST STAR GLEE HAS EVER HAD AND I CAN’T EVEN THINK STRAIGHT RIGHT NOW, OMG

7. H. says:

Best. Guest star. Ever.

8. Mike says:

I love Finn and Rachel – but I can take Jessie. That means Finn will be in pursuit – which I like best. This second half of the season is like a repeat of season one. I personally liked when Finn and Rachel were together..cause they are the leaders of the team. They have to be united!! Are they running out of content? Is that why they are rewinding then fast forwarding season one in the back half of season two? I don’t get it…

In any event – GO FINN!

9. justbecause says:

My God guys, how many wake up calls they have to give Finn? I’m all team St. Berry just because he was actually good to Rachel, the egging made zero sense at the end! Besides, Finn sucks!!!!!

10. jmd says:

uggg…MUST we!? finchel just needs to get back together already and call it a day, they are the only reason i watch the show! glee writers- it is okay to give storylines to a happy couple!

11. elle says:

YES VICTORY VICTORY VICTORY AHHHHH. I have never been more excited.

FINALLLLLLY.

12. r says:

I’m excited for Jonathan Groff’s return to Glee. Jesse is an interesting character, and I love Jonathan’s voice. I like both Finchel and St. Berry, I don’t really know where I stand with argument.

I’m just happy he’ll be back on Glee!

• Jason says:

I like both too!!! Finchel is definitely the preferred, but St. Berry always gives us jealous Finn – WHICH I NEED RIGHT NOW CAUSE FINN HAS BEEN ACTING ALL SORTS OF RIDICULOUS!! What I find interesting is that some viewers don’t actually see that Finn is not himself lately for a reason – they just think this is him. The only time he has been himself is when he is with Rachel… whether broken up or together.

13. JohnnyA says:

Woo!! Groff was the best thing about GLEE, I am so glad he is coming back. He’s also in the new Redford movie THE CONSPIRATOR, you can see him in the trailer here: http://www.conspiratorthemovie.com/

Groff is blowing up!

14. D says:

I will start watching Glee again JUST FOR THIS REASON.

My god, I’ve been hoping and hoping and hoping that Jesse would return to the show! I really wish they would do justice to his character this time around. Develop the St. Berry relationship (as well as Jesse’s character) more this time.

Rachel and Jesse BELONG together. They give birth to amazing duets and… come on, Jonathan Groff is one piece of yummy eye candy. Their chemistry is ELECTRIFYING.

CAN’T WAIT.

• Sarah says:

I’m with you on this! I blame Glee for completely butchering the character as they seem to do with nearly every character on the show – but I LOVED watching Lea Michele and Jonathan Groff together!

15. samanthajackson says:

Jesse needs to become a series regular, unless JGroff wins the lead in some other show. yeah

16. J says:

Sounds like Jesse is going to be the new Vocal Adrenaline coach.

17. Callie says:

THANK GOD. What the writers have done with Finn has utterly killed any love I had for him and the Finchel pairing. Jesse is a much better match for Rachel in terms of personality, talent and drive. As far as Rachel/dreams goes? Jesse is the one who’ll help her get there, not that hypocritical, judgmental manchild who would wind up holding her back.

• Molly says:

This comment speaks so much truth. People forget that much of the way Jesse treated Rachel was due to the lack of continuity on the show. Plenty of guys in chickflicks and other high school shows/movies have been forgiven for doing something similar to the “acting exercise” Jesse was doing. And the egging didn’t even have to happen, they just needed Jesse off. And let’s be honest, none of the guys Rachel has been with have treated her right, and Finn has probably been the biggest douche, so I don’t see why everyone loves Finchel so much.

• Shannon says:

agree with this sooo much

• Cole says:

The thought of yet another round Finchel or Finchel as endgame is almost enough to make me stop watching the series all together. Finn has done nothing to deserve the ridiculous level of devotion that Rachel has for him and he typically only wants her when he can’t have her. Finn has deceived, used and mocked Rachel throughout their entire relationship and he is nothing more than an oaffish, selfish, condescending albatross around Rachel’s neck. Can anyone really see Rachel Berry moving on with her dream dragging the likes of Finn along behind her and having to prop him up the whole way? While Jesse’s motives are suspect, and rightfully so, he’s clearly a better choice for Rachel in the long-run.

• Megan says:

Go back and watch the episode Original Song. There’s a really great scene between Quinn and Rachel talking about how Finn is going to take over Burt’s tire shop while Quinn becomes a real estate agent. Both of them staying in Lima. Quinn actually kind of pushes Rachel in a positive way in that talk in my opinion. She tells her that she’ll make it out of Lima and will succeed. I think Quinn really shed some light on that whole situation. I know it was out of jealousy, but it’s the plain truth.

18. Margaret says:

He was promised by Ryan Murphy to return and although Ausiello originally reported he wasn’t due back he was listed in IMDB to return – and yes I know that site can be highly inaccurate. I’m delighted to have both Jonathan Groff and Jesse St James back. Groff is a talented actor / singer and he will be a major addition to the show. Imagine if he and Darren Criss were together – my brain would explode!!

19. Mdz says:

It’s great that he’s coming back cos he is incredibly talented..and I love the idea of him apologizing to Rachel and i Really want Finn to get very jealous but I don’t want them back together..I want FINCHEL back!

20. Amanda Leigh says:

Bah, just when I was giving up on this show…..

Really wonderful news, can’t wait to see him again – and maybe this time they won’t waste him for half his episodes…

21. Kate says:

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Sorry Finchel fans but that coupling seemed way too forced by the writers, like Dawson and Joey!

However Rachel and Jesse are just right for each other and i hate the way they ruined Jesse as a character and made him go completely out of character just so they could have a Finchel reunion!

Lets have Rachel and Jesse running away together to NYC for the summer and starring in April’s all white version of The Wiz! :D

• Kiki says:

Jesse was always a manipulator. They didn’t change his character just to get Finn and Rachel back together. Jesse was playing Rachel all along. Face it, he was a jerk. A highly talented one, but a jerk nonetheless. Hopefully, he will have learned a thing or two about how to treat people when he returns. I hope so. I’d like to see them have a real relationship.

22. jim pann says:

so Jessies returning for the last three episodes, and a death is going to come to regionals. Am I the only one who’s thinking maybe it’ll be Jesse that the grim reaper comes for? After his vicious breaking of Rachels heart, i’m all for it.

23. Ace says:

I’ve given up on Glee lately, but if Jonathan Groff is there, I’ll be watching. He’s ridiculously talented and one of the sweetest, friendliest people I’ve ever met. Can’t wait to see him back on my TV.

24. Eve says:

I’d take him over Blaine any day! Let’s stop giving Blaine a solo or two every episode and spread the love around. I think he even gets more singing time than Rachel these days and I can’t remember the last time Finn had a great solo. I loved Jesse and am excited to see him back.

25. Jasonbres says:

Apologizing doesn’t mean squat. Like they say, once an a-hole, always an a-hole.

• Amy Leigh says:

Then the same can be said for Finn and Puck too. They’ve both been complete asses time and time again on this show.

• Petra says:

Wow. Judge much? I can’t wait for the day you screw up and are never forgiven by someone you care about. Good luck with that.

• Garnet_and_Gold47 says:

Ok seriously I can’t say how much I agree with this statement. Yes Finn and Puck have been jerks but honestly what they did was not done out of malice as was Jesse’s egging.

• Amy Leigh says:

So slushie facials aren’t malicious? Using someone for your own personal gain ie a scholarship isn’t malicious? Um, wow.

26. saarele says:

OMG BEST NEWS EVER!!!!! St. Berry FTW!!!! Thanks Ausiello, I love you!!!! Totally made up for saying he won’t be coming back :P

27. Katie says:

BEST NEWS EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much for breaking this amazing scoop!

Lea Michele and JG have AMAZING chemistry and he is so INSANELY talented! Love his character Jesse St. James too and really hope he does win Rachel back and is on the show full time next season. Could you imagine duets between him and Darren Criss?! OMG!!!!!!!!! I am dreaming of that.

28. Heather says:

I like that he’s going to apologize but they should not get back together. That was an epic fail of a relationship.

29. OMG i wanna Jessie is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

30. Chelsea says:

THRILLED to hear that he’ll be back. I think that Jesse and Rachel have a lot more in common and make more sense as a couple than Rachel and Finn.

31. Taisha says:

I’M SO HAPPY! I love Jesse and I can’t wait to see him again. I hope Rachel forgives him, they’re perfect for each other and he’s way better than Finn.

32. Amy says:

Yay!!! I am SO excited!

33. boidiva02 says:

Am I the only one that feels like it wasn’t really clear if Jesse intended to hurt Rachel or if he was being pressured? While his friends all threw eggs at her, he just cracked it over her head and said “I liked you”. I feel like maybe he really did fall for her and wasn’t sure how to get out of the scheme he was in. I also don’t understand why he would do that to Rachel knowing she is Shelby’s biological daughter!

• Amy Leigh says:

No, you are not the only one that thought the egging wasn’t as black-and-white as some people like to think it is. There’s more to it than Jesse just being a bastard and trying to humiliate Rachel in front of his teammates. His teammates had to tell him to do it in order for him to even egg her. And he actually said, “I loved you.” :)

34. Elliot says:

Will they finally sing the “Hello Twelve, Hello Thirteen, Hello Love” that is available on youtube but was never shown and played on the show?

35. Nikki says:

I’m sooooo happy J Groff is back!!! Now if we could get a duet with Darren Criss that would be even more amazing!

36. Libby says:

Yay! I agree I love jealous Finn. One of my favorite Finchel moments was when he was in full jealous mode and sang Jessie’s Girl :) They need to get back together! :/

37. Julianna says:

There’s a God! Yes! I’m so excited for Jesse to be back, I missed him! St. Berry lives!

38. Amy Leigh says:

Ausiello, I wished that you were wrong when you reported weeks ago that he wasn’t coming back this season and it looks like my wish came true! I’m so freaking ecstatic right now that that Jon Groff is returning to Glee and that we’re going to get an apology from Jesse and a possible St. Berry reunion! Woo hoo! I haven’t been this excited about something Glee related in a VERY long time.

39. Julianna says:

I’m so seconding that. Jesse being back gives me reason to watch Glee because lately I’ve been feeling so blah about it. I love Jesse and I love Rachel and I think she was in her best shape ever when they were together. I can’t wait for more duets from them!

40. Sarah says:

This is the BEST finale news I’ve heard. He and Rachel were awesome together and I’d love for them to find a way to have him back full time next season. He’s really amazing! Excellent news!

41. Brubs says:

I’ll cry, if that’s true.

42. RP says:

Freaking YES. Best Glee news ever! Finn’s lost himself, I’d love for Jesse St. James to have found himself. He and Rachel are simply perfect together.

43. johaily says:

2 words IT SUCKS!! what about rachel with finn, Q + trouty mouth,jenna with the another Chinese,our diva Kurt with blaine like the match. Mercedes with some guy she always admire in silently, puck with the biggassheart lover, Arti Britney and the gorgeous santana hmm I’m stuck but If santana stays alone?! I wouldn’t like and many more wouldn’t. I think she may be the one who deserve a girl or a boy as new character and just cut the rachel and jesse part please enough about rachel she Is getting all the attention wich she likes! But NO WAY! She belongs with finn!! Let me see something good in the love and the life of santana or arti I don’t know we have seen finn and mother kurt’s father and what he is handling at home but we don’t know nothing about the others something new like santana being lesbian and how she handle It at home talking some “spanish” puck secret’s like why Is he like that, or mercedes why isn’t she gettin a lover yet? How are this characters handling at home? keep on impressing me and others! Don’t need to repeat and get the jesse figure back really! It wouldn’t work!!

44. Shannon says:

Hope that this isn’t an april fool’s joke like some people are saying, otherwise, man are you going to be in trouble. The fury of the st berry community will come down on you like that of a mother bear who’s lost her baby cub.

45. Jenny says:

THIS IS SO AMAZING!!! Please, please, Ryan Murphy — please make this happen! Jon Groff eats the screen – he is so talented. Please don’t have him come back as defeated/unsuccessful in show biz and so thus he wants Rachael back; instead have him come back as TOTALLY successful and he STILL wants her back, can’t get her out of his mind — so much more psychologically satisfying — It’s high time someone values Rachael.

46. Samantha says:

I really liked Jesse, but wasn’t his character a senior? Meaning he would have graduated at the end of season one?

47. kt says:

BEST NEWS EVER!!! I’ve missed me some Jesse!

48. anon says:

i hated Jesse…but i loooveeee Jonathan!!! :D
    i am really happy to see him come back :) i get to see him on my tv screen again :D

49. Crosby says:

Jesse is coming back! Great! I hope they do something substantial and good with him regarding his reunion with Rachel. Finn can stay with Quinn. Those two self-absorbed jerks are made for each other. Jesse and Rachel belong together. I hope we get another ballet scene!

50. lace says:

I loved Jesse and am so thrilled that he’s returning. I don’t watch the show anymore but just tell me when those 3 episodes are and I will tune in.