Chuck Wins the 'Renew Our Show!' Tournament

Its chances for a fifth-season pickup may be murkier than a mud puddle, but this much is crystal clear: NBC’s Chuck proved a decisive winner of TVLine.com’s first annual ‘Renew Our Show!’ Bracket Tournament, defeating fellow finalist Fringe by a margin of 68.7% to 31.3%.

Over the course of the last three weeks, Chuck also vanquished such cult favorites as Human Target, Lie to Me, and Parenthood in our single-elimination competition for 16 at-risk series hoping to score slots on the 2011-2012 primetime calendar.

It probably didn’t hurt Chuck that its final opponent, Fringe, was picked up for a fourth season on Friday, just days before our last round of voting began. Fox’s smart decision freed up folks who were feeling equal love for both on-the-bubble shows. “Chuck and Fringe both deserve to be renewed, but Fringe has already gotten its pickup. Chuck is in more immediate danger, and I just don’t think TV can afford to lose this show,” wrote TVLine.com reader Aiden, echoing a sentiment expressed by many of you in our comments section.

Now that our tournament has come to an end, click here to see the entire bracket (then click again on the image for a zoomed-in view). And if you’re losing sleep about the status of anything currently on your DVR “series-recording” lineup, don’t miss our regularly updated Renewal Scorecard feature.

Thanks again for voting, and stay tuned to TVLine.com, as we’re planning another bracket extravaganza for the month of April. To get alerted to that tournament — and to help potentially build the bracket — follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.

Comments (59)

• I hope Chuck gets the pickup. I threw it my vote when my favorite show got the renewal. I have high hopes for Chuck fans – I don’t think there is a lot else that NBC has to offer. Apart from Community, I don’t think there is another show with such a fanatical fan base.

Comment by John Berggren – March 30, 2011 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree, I love Chuck.

However, the Office has a good following!

I also like Outsourced myself.

Comment by rockxher – March 31, 2011 11:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I just watched all four seasons again and am convinced that this is one of the best shows on television. I’ve been raving about it to my friends,sisters, and family, and now they’re hooked! This is an undervalued gem sitting just under the radar – we need to get the “right” people (network) watching it! And it gets better and better every season!! Just tell me where to vote!!

Comment by janis – April 23, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chuck needs you! Apparently, we have to prove how much Chuck is loved one more time, before we find out if it will be renewed for a fifth season. TV Guide is conducting a Which Show Do You Most Want To See Again Next Season poll within an article headed: Save These Shows: 9 Bubble Shows We Hope Will Survive. Chuck is one of these shows and is currently losing badly to Lie to Me of all shows. Show your love for Chuck and help Chuck get a fifth season by voting for Chuck! You can vote as many times as you want. Go to this URL and vote for Chuck!

Comment by Richard G. – May 2, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Chuck! I hope they get another season to wrap things up (even if it is just 13 episodes).

Comment by Emily – March 30, 2011 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSS Victory!!! Chuck has won so many of these polls already and i really do HOPE that NBC notices what a great fan base Chuck has, Nielsen viewers do not, i repeat DO NOT represent all the actually people who sit down everyone monday at 8 pm to watch this beloved show. I really do hope there is a 5th season, i guarantee you will see many fans happy!!

Comment by michelle – March 30, 2011 10:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was just getting ready to write a comment, but you had already written down my exact thoughts. I truly believe that CHUCK has so many more fans watching every week than the Nielsen ratings show. NBC should pay attention to all the polls that CHUCK fans win to try and get their attention.

Comment by Chuckrocks – March 30, 2011 09:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yesssss! ♫ Chuck me baby, one more time … ♫

Comment by GimplyGump – March 30, 2011 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like many others, I was completely torn by the thought that I’d have to choose between Chuck and Fringe. I was very relieved when the choice was taken from me with Fringe‘s renewal. I totally agree with Aiden’s comment that TV can’t afford to lose Chuck … perfect way to express it.

Wishing and hoping for Chuck‘s renewal …

Comment by Maryb – March 30, 2011 10:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If people watched this show then it wouldn’t be on the bubble every single season.

Comment by Jack J. – March 30, 2011 10:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know what you mean, but I don’t think the ratings are really looking at DVR, online viewing like Hulu as much as live airtime

not to mention things like Netflix, or DVDs aren’t taken into consideration at all I don’t believe, regardless of product placement..

Comment by rockxhero – March 31, 2011 11:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think this tournament is awesome!

But it lost complete sense when we had a granted show in the final competiotion. What’s the point, yo?

Comment by Alexandre – March 30, 2011 10:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The point was it wasn’t renewed until the very end, and by that point, Chuck had already beat everything else anyway, so it definitely deserved to win.

Comment by Rh – March 30, 2011 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watch Chuck online. I think a lot of its fans do.
    I’d really hate hate to see this show go. I’d miss seeing Yvonne and Zack every week.

Comment by Melisa – March 30, 2011 10:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck won only because Fringe was renewed before the final… :)

Comment by Cristian – March 30, 2011 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was pretty much a given after Friday’s Fringe announcement for most voters. I like Fringe more than Chuck, and I would have voted for Fringe if it hadn’t been picked up. So a lot of us Fringe fans “switched” to help convince NBC to get off their duffs and RENEW CHUCK!!!!

Comment by Bob – March 30, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • congrats !
        But fringe is the BEESSSTT it’s already got picked up so it was ok for his greattt fan to vote for chuck

Comment by hello – March 30, 2011 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s a big assumption. Both are original shows, but “Chuck” is better in it’s fourth season than “Fringe” in it’s third, and viewers would agree (see: precipitous drop in the ratings resulting in it’s move to Friday).

“Fringe” will drop even more (hit a low this past week) if it doesn’t get out of this stupid soap opera story line.

Comment by DN – March 30, 2011 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Talking about a big assumption…I believe Chuck has become like many other predictable shows this season, it’s just not must-watch TV for me anymore. Fringe on the other hand, just gets better and better. That’s just my opinion as well, but I have seen that sentiment shared here. Just like many of the people that voted for Chuck stated that they only chose it because Fringe was already safe. They still like Chuck, but if both were still on the fence, they would go with Fringe.

As for your comment about ratings, it’s a ridiculous comparison.
        Monday is a great night for watching TV, Chuck’s main competition are reality shows (first The Bachelor, now Dancing With the Stars). A large proportion of the population doesn’t like or watch reality shows, so Chuck had the opportunity to make great inroads. That’s why NBC left it on the bubble again – they expect higher numbers, not just a small group of passionate, cult-like fans. For them, it’s quantity over quality.

Fringe on the other hand, was moved to the Siberia of TV – Friday nights. It’s also against another genre show with passionate, committed fans – Supernatural. Those are my two favorite shows, so I record both, and watch whichever one has more of an urgent storyline first. Then I watch the other one on my PVR. Both Fox and CW are willing to renew with lower numbers because they’re still doing so well given the lower expectations of the night.

So in conclusion, your comments are totally lame.

Comment by sashay – March 31, 2011 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK YEAHHHHH!

Comment by Steph – March 30, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay for Chuck! Hope there’s a renewal. And thanks to all the Fringies (Fringers? Fringites?) who threw in for us. Much appreciated. :-D

Comment by verkisto – March 30, 2011 11:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Pretty unsurprising result when, as noted, its competition in the finals was already renewed. :)

Comment by XK – March 30, 2011 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chuck wins every competition it is in, so I really doubt it mattered if Fringe was renewed or not.

Comment by Turk – March 30, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Actually, Fringe was initially leading in the voting, and last time I looked, the results were pretty close right after we discovered that Fringe was renewed. Think it was a HUGE factor in their win. Besides, Fringe also won every round, so your point is pointless.

That said, I hope Chuck is renewed. I will eventually get around to watching all of this season’s recorded episodes, and I hope the writing greatly improves if they get another season. A bigger dose of Adam Baldwin would be a great start.

Comment by sashay – March 31, 2011 11:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • im glad that chuck won this pole,im from england and were always behind here but its the only show along with supernatural that i watch. the cast is great and the humor is fantastic and it all works together. please renew for a 5 season we all want it. p.s i keep up with it online so in effect i im keeping up with it like you guys.

Comment by wayne – March 30, 2011 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want The Eveeeeeeeeeeeennnnnnnnntttttttttt!

Comment by Elsie M – March 30, 2011 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boo…oh well I still love Fringe :)

Comment by Thom – March 30, 2011 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And now to actually make this count more than a tick on a cat’s butt.

Comment by Dragen – March 30, 2011 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so happy Chuck won! I couldn’t vote in the last round because I love Fringe and Chuck so I let others decide. However since Fringe already got a pickup I’m very happy for Chuck.

Comment by Jones19 – March 30, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK ME!!! I’m so glad Chuck won, I hope NBC does renew it bc even though the ratings are never huge it is pretty stable. Also it’s up against some major shows like DWTS and House plus CBS comedies. I also hope NBC takes into consideration that this week w. the Presidents and then the interview with George Bush last year were worse in ratings compared to Chuck.

Comment by Becca – March 30, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Becca – March 30, 2011 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!!!!! Chuck won!!! ^^
    Chucksters vote in hulu for Chuck!!!!! http://www.hulu.com/bestinshow

Fight!!!!!

Comment by Team Bartowski – March 30, 2011 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy for Chuck!! I Just wish that NBC would see all the polls Chuck has won and read all our Chuck fan messages and see how much we love this show..It’s the best show on NBC right now so i just can’t why they don’t renew it..PLEASE NCB RENEW CHUCK!!

Comment by Mdz – March 30, 2011 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How many times do Chucksters have to fight to prove to the TPTB that Chuck is a much loved show, has a very large fanbase & it’s in their best interests to renew the show? This is just ridiculous! Renew it already. This is why we’ve been going on about the unfairness of the Nielsen ratings system. EVERY tv should be hooked into the ratings system, not just a few thousand. If NBC knew just how many Chuck fans there *really* were, they’d probably faint!

Comment by VentusAstrum – March 30, 2011 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad that CHUCK won, but does this poll have any weight with NBC? Will the network be informed at all?

Comment by valerie – March 30, 2011 12:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a Fringe fan, I will get delighted if Chuck gets pick-up. I mean, we know how Chuck fans feel… so a season pick-up will be a great relief for our friends over Chuck.

Good luck!

Comment by Xerophytes – March 30, 2011 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now to make this real life! Yay go Chuck!

Comment by Brynna – March 30, 2011 01:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!! Hopefully the new-ish head honchos at NBC will agree!

Comment by HCN – March 30, 2011 01:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe you should repost the bracket without the shows that have been renewed and we can play again.

Comment by Jon – March 30, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is one great party gone wrong in the right way. ‘Fringe’ got renewed. Yaaaaay!
    Now, had that not been the case, am pretty sure the outcome would have been a very tight race (won by CHUCK anyway).

Comment by Sam – March 30, 2011 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay Chuck!!! Im so happy n i still would have voted 4 chuck even if fringe hadn’t been renewed and i think a lot of other ppl would have to

Comment by Kayla – March 30, 2011 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While the argument “Chuck should be renewed because it won TVLine.com’s renewal poll” is completely negligible, it’s little things like this that add up and do eventually make for a persuasive case to NBC. Vote at Hulu for Best Show and watch episodes on NBC.com and get involved in any other fan-based support of the show. In other words, we have won the battle, but we have yet to win the war.

Comment by Katie – March 30, 2011 02:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it just me or has Chuck won this every season since it started? Poor other shows don’t have a shot at winning a save a show poll because Chuck is apparently always in jeopardy. Please disqualify it next year from this poll so another show can have a chance.

Comment by Liz – March 30, 2011 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, considering this is, as Slezak stated, TVLine’s first annual ’Renew Our Show!’ Bracket Tournament, then yes, it’s won every single time. Key word being single.

Perhaps you’re getting this tournament confused with E!’s renewal poll, which Chuck has won in the past.

Comment by Rh – March 30, 2011 03:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Rh – March 30, 2011 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!! Chuck won this tournament!
    Now I would be completely happy and satisfied if only NBC would renew Chuck for a full season 5 already. NBC MUST renew Chuck!

Comment by Melissa – March 30, 2011 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So pumped about this. I just hope NBC takes notice and this helps Chuck’s chances to be renewed. T’was a good tournament, TVLine!

Comment by Aiden – March 31, 2011 12:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck deserves a fifth season!!!~~
    –Chuck fan from Hong Kong

Comment by blackwolf7 – March 31, 2011 01:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe is a good show but my man Bartworski is owsome. I watch the chuck preveous seasons on my dvd collection almos daily. Just can’t wait for a fifth season…,!

Comment by moses banda – March 31, 2011 07:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK is anything but predictable. There are so many twists and turns, it sort of reminds me a little of 24, with the added suspense of Chuck and Sarah’s relationship. CHUCK definately deserves to be renewed. What else can we do to get our point accross?

Comment by Bob – March 31, 2011 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck is a great show – we need another season!

Comment by Nate – April 1, 2011 10:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i love chuck its the best show ever <3
    i hope they keep chuck going for at least another two seasons i no its a bit much but i absolutely love the show or even turn it into a movie :D keep up the great work xx

Comment by paige – April 2, 2011 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck deserves to stay on air as long as the fans demand to have it. I DVR my episodes, watch online, and buy my favorite episodes on iTunes until the blue ray seasons come out.. I want to see chuck get picked up a 5th full season so it can also be Syndicated…

Comment by Yianni – April 4, 2011 06:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • they should rename it UpChuck lol

Comment by chucksucks – April 4, 2011 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would hope as many polls as Chuck has won that NBC would notice. Neilsen ratings are outdated.. I don’t know ONE Neislen household. So I guess everyone I know doesn’t count for ratings. Iwork the swing shift to and DVR it. At 1 am every Tuesday I am watching. I would love to see Chuck get it’s fifth season. I will bet if it was on a different night.. It would fair much better. Doesnt matter to me what night its on.. I will watch it still faithfully.

Comment by Carol – April 9, 2011 06:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I, too, hope they will renew Chuck for one more season. The writers of this show are so creative and I feel they have more story to tell. They have done a good job of moving the story along, changing it up, and keeping me coming back every week. The cast are great together making it such a joy to watch. The only reason I sit down to watch TV is to be entertained, and this show entertains like no other.

Comment by Kate – April 16, 2011 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have watched Chuck since the show started. It had a great following until the writers strike. I look at shows like Dancing with Stars which compete with Chuck and think what is going on with people. But if you consider that the majority of Neilson viewers are elderly well who needs to go on. Chuck needs to be renewed and NBC needs to take into account on-line viewers.

Fringe to me is like all other supernatural shows. Each shows is simular and you can only watch this for so long before it gets old.

Comment by Don – April 25, 2011 08:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Apparently, we have to prove how much Chuck is loved at least one more time before we find out if will be renewed for a fifth season. TV Guide is conducting a “Which show do you most want to see again next season?” poll. The competing shows are all on the “bubble”. Chuck is currently losing to Lie to Me! Please go to this url on the TV Guide web site under the story heading Save These Shows: 9 Bubble Shows We Hope Will Survive and vote as many times as you can: http://www.tvguide.com/news/chuck-v-parenthood-shows-save-1032236.aspx?rss=breakingnews&partnerid=starpulse&profileid=breaking

Comment by richgali – May 1, 2011 12:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck, NBC News, and Leno are the only NBC shows we watch consistently. If Chuck goes we will be down to two! Chuck is the only show that the wife, our daughter and I enjoy watching together.

Comment by Wkellermann – August 18, 2011 11:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post