Rosie O'Donnell's New OWN Talk Show To Film On Oprah's Chicago Soundstage

Get More: News

The Chicago soundstage that has housed Oprah Winfrey’s syndicated talk show won’t go vacant after Winfrey tapes her swan song on May 25. Rosie O’Donnell, who will host a daily gabfest for Winfrey’s new cable network OWN, will set up shop in the Harpo Studios facility.

O’Donnell broke the news to Harpo staffers today in a video. “It’s me, Rosie O’Donnell, star of The Flintstones!,” she quipped. “I just wanted to say: Hi, I’m coming to Chicago. Yes, I am, and I’m thrilled about it… Thank you, Oprah. And thank all you people there. Some of you are going to be sticking around and helping us make a kick-ass show for the Oprah Winfrey Network.”

In a statement, Winfrey said, “I’m delighted to welcome Rosie to the studio I’ve called home for so many years. Speaking from experience, she will be working with the best team in television in one of the greatest cities in the world.”

Comments (13)

• HUGE mistake! New York City is the co-host of any Rosie O’Donnell Show. On her radio show, she was talking about how she was anxious to find a broadway theater where the show would originate. CHICAGO? No, man. I love OWN, but keep Rosie in Manhattan. Give the Chicago studio to Bonnie Hunt!!! Then, all would be right in the universe.
    :-(

Comment by TV Gord – March 29, 2011 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Good idea! :)

Comment by Kim R – March 29, 2011 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thanks, Kim. How are we going to get Oprah to meet Bonnie… ? ;-)

Comment by TV Gord – March 29, 2011 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Rosie and am extremely excited for the new Rosie O’Donnell Show! That being said, I am indeed surprised that it will film in Chicago. She’s a New York gal, and I’m surprised she’d uproot her family to the Windy City. Maybe it’s a compromise because it’s part-way between NYC and LA. Maybe it also has something to do with production costs and saving studio space.

Comment by AlistairCrane – March 29, 2011 10:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My guess is that she won’t uproot her family. She’ll fly into Chicago to do the show. It wouldn’t be fair to Kelly or the kids to take them to a new city. And if you listen to her radio show lately, it might do them all good to be separated for a little while. Said with ;-) and love to Rosie.

Comment by TV Gord – March 29, 2011 10:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fly in there every day? From what I understand, this is a daily talk show like her original one.

Comment by AlistairCrane – March 29, 2011 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not everyday. If she flies in and does a few shows live, a couple on tape, she can be in Chicago for three days and New York for four. Plenty of hosts have done it.

Comment by TV Gord – March 29, 2011 11:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So psyched that Rosie will be having her new talk show in Chicago! I’ve been saying for a while that we need more shows in Chicago–primetime, especially. Glad Rosie will be spending some time here filming her show!

Comment by Kevin H. – March 29, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too! I thought Oprah was planning on leaving us high and dry… I’m really glad she’s planning on keeping the Chicago studio alive.

Comment by Stephanie – March 29, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She said on her radio show that she will tape in Chicago on alternate weeks. That way her kids stay with Kelly the weeks she is in Chicago and home with her when she’s in NY.
    I’m sad for her radio staff. They are really great and I wish they could keep doing the show even without her.

Comment by Em – March 29, 2011 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hmm, that makes sense. Guess she’ll be filming two episodes a day or will just air less episodes a year than the typical talk show.

Comment by AlistairCrane – March 29, 2011 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rosie and Kelley split custody this way now. It might be tiring for her though.

Comment by Cam – March 29, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If she splits her time between New York and Chicago, I’m okay with that. That would be cool, actually. (I still wish Bonnie Hunt had a talk show in Chicago, too, though!)

Comment by TV Gord – March 29, 2011 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post