Rosie O'Donnell's New OWN Talk Show To Film On Oprah's Chicago Soundstage

The Chicago soundstage that has housed Oprah Winfrey’s syndicated talk show won’t go vacant after Winfrey tapes her swan song on May 25. Rosie O’Donnell, who will host a daily gabfest for Winfrey’s new cable network OWN, will set up shop in the Harpo Studios facility.

O’Donnell broke the news to Harpo staffers today in a video. “It’s me, Rosie O’Donnell, star of The Flintstones!,” she quipped. “I just wanted to say: Hi, I’m coming to Chicago. Yes, I am, and I’m thrilled about it… Thank you, Oprah. And thank all you people there. Some of you are going to be sticking around and helping us make a kick-ass show for the Oprah Winfrey Network.”

In a statement, Winfrey said, “I’m delighted to welcome Rosie to the studio I’ve called home for so many years. Speaking from experience, she will be working with the best team in television in one of the greatest cities in the world.”

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: News

1. TV Gord says:

HUGE mistake! New York City is the co-host of any Rosie O’Donnell Show. On her radio show, she was talking about how she was anxious to find a broadway theater where the show would originate. CHICAGO? No, man. I love OWN, but keep Rosie in Manhattan. Give the Chicago studio to Bonnie Hunt!!! Then, all would be right in the universe.

:-(

2. AlistairCrane says:

I love Rosie and am extremely excited for the new Rosie O’Donnell Show! That being said, I am indeed surprised that it will film in Chicago. She’s a New York gal, and I’m surprised she’d uproot her family to the Windy City. Maybe it’s a compromise because it’s part-way between NYC and LA. Maybe it also has something to do with production costs and saving studio space.

3. TV Gord says:

My guess is that she won’t uproot her family. She’ll fly into Chicago to do the show. It wouldn’t be fair to Kelly or the kids to take them to a new city. And if you listen to her radio show lately, it might do them all good to be separated for a little while. Said with ;-) and love to Rosie.

4. TV Gord says:

Not everyday. If she flies in and does a few shows live, a couple on tape, she can be in Chicago for three days and New York for four. Plenty of hosts have done it.

5. Kevin H. says:

So psyched that Rosie will be having her new talk show in Chicago! I’ve been saying for a while that we need more shows in Chicago–primetime, especially. Glad Rosie will be spending some time here filming her show!

• Stephanie says:

Me too! I thought Oprah was planning on leaving us high and dry… I’m really glad she’s planning on keeping the Chicago studio alive.

6. Em says:

She said on her radio show that she will tape in Chicago on alternate weeks. That way her kids stay with Kelly the weeks she is in Chicago and home with her when she’s in NY.
    I’m sad for her radio staff. They are really great and I wish they could keep doing the show even without her.

• AlistairCrane says:

Hmm, that makes sense. Guess she’ll be filming two episodes a day or will just air less episodes a year than the typical talk show.

7. Cam says:

Rosie and Kelley split custody this way now. It might be tiring for her though.

8. TV Gord says:

If she splits her time between New York and Chicago, I’m okay with that. That would be cool, actually. (I still wish Bonnie Hunt had a talk show in Chicago, too, though!)