TVLine Items: Susan Lucci's AMC Status Report, Drop Dead Scoop, and Other TV News to Know

Soap queen Susan Lucci has a few words of encouragement for fans worried about the fate of ABC’s long-running sudser All My Children. “We’ll see, as long as we have these loyal, passionate fans in our corner,” La Lucci offered Monday on Good Morning America. “And we just received a letter from the vice president in charge of finance congratulating us on what great shape we’re in.”

Also a positive sign that the series is not in any imminent danger: Last Wednesday, AMC executive producer Julie Hanan Carruthers told the cast that “[the cancellation] rumors are just rumors.” So, that’s something, right?

Ready for more of today’s top TV dish? Well…

• How ’bout a little Drop Dead Diva scoop to start your week off right? TVLine has learned that Tony Goldwyn (Ghost, Law & Order: Criminal Intent) has been cast as a corrupt District Attorney who just so happens to have a romantic past with Jane. Goldwyn appears in the sixth episode of Drop Dead‘s third season, which premieres on Lifetime this June.

• Gale Harold (Queer as Folk) has joined The CW’s buzzy pilot The Secret Circle, says Deadline. Harold, who currently recurs on Hellcats, will play the father of the coven’s head witch Diana (played by Days of our Lives’ Shelley Hennig).

• Also pilot-bound is Daneel Harris Ackles, Deadline reports. The One Tree Hill starlet has landed a lead in NBC’s “twisty” romantic comedy I Hate That I Love You. Ackles also costars in NBC’s long-on-the-shelf sitcom Friends With Benefits.

• Lifetime’s Army Wives drew 4.8 million viewers Sunday night, making it the most watched episode in the series’ five-year history.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. jean10brook says:

Thanks for the Drop Dead Diva update. I just absolutely love the show and can’t wait for Summer to get here. I hope it’s a long and hot one (Summer, that is) LOL!

2. Sam says:

It’s going to be weird seeing Brian Kinney playing someone’s dad.

3. Dan says:

Army Wives deserved every one of those 4.8 million viewers. AMAZING episode last night. I was glued to screen, LIVE, for the entire 60 minutes. Best 1 hour drama episode ride I’ve ever been on.

• Doug-H says:

I’m sure the lack of new programming against it helped ratings… For fans of the show and anyone else curious, it was a worthy hour.. not a dry eye in the house… It brought the reality of war and conflict to this show in killing off one of their own..

• Chatty says:

Agreed. The episode was very moving and well executed by all involved. I truly wish television critics would talk more about this show so that more viewers would tune in.

• dvmom says:

Ditto!

4. Kelly says:

I hope All My Children doesn’t end. It would be more encouraging if the producer said there is no truth to any rumors being spread, not that they are just rumors which implies there is talk of the ax coming.

5. PGP says:

Interesting about AMC! Sounds similar to GL and ATWT when they were on their way out.

• PGP says:

They were both told that their respective shows were safe until the plug was pulled. Sad! I hope that OLTL pulls out all of the stops its HOT right now!

6. TL says:

tired of loking at Brocks face, love army men, this is gross. give him plastic surgery…

7. Pat Rogers says:

I think taking All My Children off the air would be such a BIG mistake! I’ve watched the show from the beginning and have watched other soaps and I think they have the best actors, best writers, and best story lines ever. Please don’t take it off the air. I look so forward to watching it and I don’t want to see all the people involved in the show loose their jobs. It would be such a loss if it ended.