The TVLine-Up: TV Worth Watching This Week

As a supplement to the awesome feature stories and scoops TVLine has coming your way this week, here are 26 shows you might want to keep on your radar.

MONDAY, MARCH 28
8/7c The Secret Life of the American Teenager (ABC Family) |
Midseason premiere: Summer break is over, time to see what’s new at school. Hey, 7th Heaven‘s Beverley Mitchell is now our guidance counselor! Someone go get Zoe….
9 pm Make It Or Break It (ABC Family) | Midseason premiere: Kaylie’s eating disorder, rumors of an affair and the teeny-tiny fact that they have no coach are just a few of the problems that have the Rock girls flipping out. (See what I did there?)
10 pm Castle (ABC) | Beckett & Co. are called onto the scene when, mid-trial, a juror drops dead. I never studied law, but I’m rather certain this calls for a 10-minute recess.
10 pm Nurse Jackie (Showtime) | Season 3 premiere: I’ve got $10 that Jackie’s unwanted intervention doesn’t stick.
10:30 pm United States of Tara (Showtime) | On tap for Season 3: Eddie Izzard (playing a college professor) and, yep, another (and top-secret) alter for Tara.

TUESDAY, MARCH 29
9/8c NCIS: Los Angeles (CBS) |
Kensi goes undercover as a thief. (A hot thief, one must assume.)
10 pm Body of Proof (ABC) | Dana Delany stars in this new series as a world-class neurosurgeon who, after being injured an accident, takes a gig as a medical examiner. But job parameters be damned, she’s gonna solve crimes!
10 pm Parenthood (NBC) | Academy Award winner Richard Dreyfuss begins a four-episode arc as a theater producer who takes an interest in Sarah’s play. He also gets weird when you show him a mound of mashed potatoes.
10 pm Lights Out (FX) | Miss Tessmacher! The series’ penultimate episode guest-stars Valerie Perrine as the flaky, oft-AWOL Leary family matriarch. What a coincidence she’s back just when the getting might once again be good.

WEDNESDAY, MARCH 30
9/8c Criminal Minds (CBS) |
Let’s see how things can be, if we must, sans Prentiss.
10 pm Law & Order: SVU (NBC) | Jeremy Irons Alert #1: The Oscar winner reprises his role as sex therapist Cap Jackson, while Elizabeth Mitchell (V) guests as a piano teacher accused of murdering a young student.
10 pm Justified (FX) | Raylan is assigned to protect a coal company bigwig who is fixin’ to blow the top off a Harlan County mountain. Speaking of “blowing tops,” wait for Mags Bennett’s reaction. (As supplemental viewing, I suggest you simul-TiVo the new Spike docuseries Coal.)

THURSDAY, MARCH 31
1 pm Major League Baseball season opener (ESPN) |
The Tigers visit my Yankees, followed by a Padres-Cardinals match-up. Then the defending World Series champs, the San Francisco Giants, take on the Dodgers.
8 pm The Big Bang Theory (CBS) | Call the virtual cops — Sheldon’s online role-playing alter ego has been robbed!
9 pm Grey’s Anatomy (ABC) | The aftermath of last week’s horrific car accident is served up in song, so I suppose it’s a good-ish thing that the primary crash victim is a Tony winner.
10 pm Private Practice (ABC) | Louise Fletcher (One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest) and Kyle Secor (Commander in Chief) return as Pete’s mother and brother.

FRIDAY, APRIL 1
8/7c Who Do You Think You Are? (NBC) |
Whoa, Gwyneth Paltrow is your cousin. (April Fools!)
9 pm CSI: NY (CBS) | Gary Sinise took a straw poll on Twitter over the weekend, and almost all of ya hope the show gets renewed for another season. With Fringe and Supernatural on bye weeks, let your live-viewing vote count!
10 pm Blue Bloods (CBS) | Someone is poisoning runway models. With what, caloric cheeseburgers? Danny’s wife is kidnapped.
10 pm Camelot (Starz) | Series premiere: Three parts Arthurian legend, one part gratuitous nudity, so tell Junior to stay in his room and stick with the Cliff’s Notes.

SATURDAY, APRIL 2
6 pm NCAA Final Four (CBS) |
Not that anyone’s office bracket is worth much anymore.
11:30 pm Saturday Night Live (NBC) | Elton John hosts, marking perhaps the first time cue cards have been squinted at through lavender eyeglass lenses.

SUNDAY, APRIL 3
8 pm The Kennedys (Reelz Channel) |
See what the hubbub is about… once you figure out where Reelz Channel is on your TV.
9 pm Game of Thrones sneak preview (HBO) | Winter is coming… in a couple weeks. Until then, make do with a 15-minute teaser.
9 pm The Killing (AMC) | The cable network that brought you Mad Men, Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead has done it again, with this moody and frequently haunting tale of a high school girl’s murder. Based on the Danish TV series Forbrydelsen; that’s why the opening credits at times read like an IKEA order form.
9 pm The Borgias (Showtime) | Jeremy Irons Alert #2! The Oscar winner fronts this new series about the 15th century Italian crime family.

Which of the above is must-see TV for you? And by all means, hit the comments to politely share tune-in recommendations of your own!

1. Steven says:

Hmm… The Borgias or The Killing? The Killing all the way.

2. Truthiness says:

Will Ferrel is going to be on The Office this week, that’s a pretty big event, I know it’s not popular to mention The Office anymore, but you have to be intentionally overlooking it to not include it.

3. John Berggren says:

How toxic does a miniseries have to be before landing on the Reelz Channel is #winning?

4. Inigo says:

The Danish original of The Killing is the best thing I’ve seen on TV in years. Thank you sub-titles. Over twenty hours, I kept having to remind myself to breathe. Compelling characters, particularly the female detective and the mother, brilliant acting and stunning direction – if the AMC remake is half as good, it will be fantastic.

• Cate says:

Agree whole heartedly! The final 2 episodes this weekend on BBC4 have left me in ‘Killing’ withdrawal! I doubt the US remake will be as deliberate, but hopefully will feature lots of knitted jumpers!!

5. Sietsx says:

Where’s The Good Wife?

6. Jenny says:

God, Sara Ramirez is gorgeous, huh? Wow.

• Nicole says:

Agree! TVLine first gives us a picture of the beautiful Jessica Capshaw last week and now one of Sara. I’m really looking forward to this episode!

7. F.R. says:

The Event should be worth watching this week. It’s a pivotal episode with something major happening in it, plus someone goes bye-bye.

Also, it was directed by Janusz Kaminski, the cinematographer behind Spielberg’s Saving Private Ryan, Schindler’s List, War of the Worlds and others.

8. A.K says:

Grey’s is a always a requirement for me–but what about Army Wives? The aftermath of what happened in last night’s (3/27) episode is a MUST see!

9. Allison says:

Reelz channel located, DVR set! Thanks for the heads up.

Will definitely check out The Killing. If it weren’t for The Walking Dead I would be on an AMC boycott – still angry about Rubicon.
    And sadly will have to wait for Tara and The Borgias on Netflix due to our cable downgrade. Sniff.

10. Kelly says:

The callie storyline this season has been the worst. It makes me almost want to tune out but I do want to hear JCAP,Chandra Wilson and Chyler Leigh sing.

11. Kathie says:

Justified is the best drama on TV at the moment.

12. abc123 says:

Matt, I believe the model-themed episode of Blue Bloods airs April 8. This Friday’s episode has Danny’s wife kidnapped to prevent him from testifying against a drug lord.

Also, no love for Desperate Housewives? The show’s been on hiatus for four weeks.

13. Jaclyn says:

You SAY that Gwyneth isn’t my cousin – but so far there have been at least two “Oh, hey random person, I’m Steve Buscemi and I’m your relative!” type moments on that show. YOU NEVER KNOW!

14. D says:

Now Criminal Minds is worth watching? Now that Prentiss is gone? Just so you know, most of the fans lost interest on Criminal Minds. NO Prentiss, NO CM. I’ll watch till the season ends because I want to see their reactions towards the loss of Emily and discover the rest of the team members’ secrets.

15. Laura says:

No House?

16. Becca says:

Grey’s Anatomy is going to be so worth watching. Even if the episode sucks, Sara’s voice is out of this world amazing.

17. Elizabeth says:

I shall forgive you the “my Yankees” comment (Red Sox Nation represent!) because your witty comments, particularly in regard to “Castle” and “NCIS: LA”, (I swear I watch these shows for the plot) made my day.

18. Lauren says:

You forgot Being Human!

19. Amber says:

Mostly excited about United States of Tara finally returning. But I am quite excited about Jeremy Irons on SVU, because that first episode he was in was the best, most twisted episode they did all season. And I do have high hopes for The Borgias. Probably my favorite here is Justified though.

20. LadyC says:

Where’s the Reels channel? In the Northeast NJ area on Fios its channel 233!

21. chas says:

Isn’t NCIS also new this week?