Shameless Finale Earns Record Ratings

Get More: News, Ratings

No shame here: The first season of Showtime’s already-renewed Shameless wrapped Sunday with a record 1.16 million viewers.

Not only was that the comedy’s biggest audience to date, but it also ranked as Showtime’s most-watched season 1 finale telecast in a decade — since Queer as Folk in 2001.

Californication‘s season 4 closer, meanwhile, attracted just 547K viewers. A fifth season was ordered back in January.

Comments (18)

• Thank god for quality programing, and not that Glee-stuff that is ruining our planet. Haha, i loved how Shameless actully messed with Glee a bit in the season finale.

Comment by Stephen – March 28, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • IA with this sooooo much!!!

Comment by Stephanie – March 28, 2011 08:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think Shameless’ strongest storyline is Ian’s homosexuality. It says a lot that they didn’t even need to touch that story in order for the finale to be good. I can’t wait for next season and to tide me over until then, I’ve started watching the original British version.

Comment by Nicotine – March 28, 2011 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Great finale! I’ll miss it until next year. Good thing Nurse Jackie stepped up just in time!

Comment by sash fan – March 29, 2011 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This Californication season was weak overall. Not to mention boring sometimes. Karen either needs to forgive Hank or move somewhere, she was really annoying.

Comment by Annie – March 28, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • i beg the differ. Found it to be a good season, a good mix of drama and comedy, also that why it`s a dramedy-show. The theme in the whole season finale, “you cant always get what you want” was a brighter message to send to the audience than i have seen in a very long time. Maybe since Lost.

Also must say i hope Rob Lowe will return, that man have suddnley become somewhat funny.

Comment by Muchacho – March 28, 2011 02:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I completely agree, that dinner party was quite possibly one of the funniest things I’ve seen on tv in a while. And apparently you haven’t seen Rob Lowe in Parks and Recreation this season, he’s hilarious.

Comment by Jon – March 28, 2011 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah, i have seen him in Parks. But he`s just been there for about a year, so that`s why i say “suddnley”. :)

Comment by Muchacho – March 28, 2011 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I had to drop Californication a while ago. Just not that solid of a show! I just got into Shameless a few days ago actually and I LOVE it! It’s fantastic!

Comment by Samantha – March 28, 2011 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I started Shameless just yesterday, I watched the first four episodes back to back and I am completely hooked. Shameless might even bump Parenthood out of top spot on my fave tv-show list.

Comment by Hannah – March 28, 2011 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shameless is great.
    I’m glad it was renewed BUT Steve/Jimmy better be coming back !

Comment by Laurel – March 28, 2011 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yea it just wont be the same without him i think it all ties toghther perfectly

Comment by charlie – May 24, 2011 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • any scoop on the upcoming season of shameless? i feel like it is such an under appreciated show!

Comment by Kelsey Harrison – March 28, 2011 03:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the brit version of this show fiona and Steve where only in the first season. Please tell me that isn’t going to be the case here

Comment by lyndsay – March 28, 2011 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shameless is better if you fast forward through all the scenes with Frank in them.

Comment by John Hooper – March 28, 2011 05:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shameless is the greatest! Frank and every character on the show is important. My friend in Chicago told me it was a great show and after viewing the first show I was completely hooked. I can’t wait to see the next season.

Comment by A Flores – March 28, 2011 09:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually Steve and Fiona were in Two seasons but the first season of the USA version parts of season 2 where in the first season. But The two actors in the UK are Marride to each other and James McAvoy who played steve in the Uk version becane quite a big actor in the UK think thats why he left and his wife. Now he is in the New X-Men film

Comment by JWS – March 29, 2011 02:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have yet to watch the finale, but I’m pretty sure I’ll like it.
    I really like Shameless and I don’t even know why, haha.
    It’s unlike everything I watch.

Comment by Mayra – March 29, 2011 09:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post