Secret Life Star Previews 'Dramatic, Even Tragic' Future for Ben, Adrian and Their Baby-to-Be

The Secret Life of the American Teenager is back after a six-month hiatus (Mondays at 8/7c), and star Ken Baumann tells TVLine there are big things ahead for the ABC Family drama. What’s in store for Ben and his teen baby mama Adrian (played by Francia Raisa)? Might Ben/Amy reunite? Baumann is revealing all, including a shocking tidbit about a possible tragedy.

TVLINE | Talk a little about Ben’s journey this season.
I’d say this is the most difficult, challenging season for Ben yet. He is dealing with his most adult issues, and there are a lot of really dramatic, maybe even tragic things that he’s going to have to endure.

TVLINE | Can you elaborate at all on your use of the word “tragic”? Are you possibly referring to some problems with Adrian’s pregnancy and/or birth?
I plead the fifth amendment. I won’t incriminate myself. [Laughs] I’ve got to leave that one dangling.

TVLINE | Will we see a baby, or at the very least some resolution to the Ben/Adrian pregnancy storyline before the May finale?
There is definitely going to be resolution. I don’t know how exactly when that will air or how many episodes into the season, but I believe it’s about 12 episodes in from tonight’s premiere.

TVLINE | Besides typical teen pregnancy issues, will Ben and Adrian have any particular obstacles to overcome?
It’s going to get increasingly difficult for them to find some common ground. They got pregnant not from a very altruistic place — it was revenge sex-turned-teen pregnancy, which is pretty unfortunate. They’re going to struggle with the idea of being together and they’re going to struggle with the idea of raising a kid, particularly when you don’t know if you even want to be with the other parent. I would say that that dominates the season for Ben and Adrian, for the most part.

TVLINE | Will Secret Life fans witness any happiness between these two, or is it strictly an obligation-based relationship?
They do manage to find a common ground and that will show. There are a lot of scenes that are almost romantic, where they are forced into this intimate place and they’re going to make the best of it occasionally. So, yes, they have some happier moments.

TVLINE | How, if at all, is Ben and Adrian’s education impacted by having a baby on the way?
There is an impact for Adrian, because it becomes a question of how long will she be out of school, and does that mean she won’t graduate if she stays out too long after giving birth? So, there are those questions that these characters will have to face leading up to the finale, but Ben and Adrian have it relatively easy on the school-side because they are pretty intelligent. Ben is definitely going to experience some difficulty at work. It interferes a lot with his general scheduled way of life, big time.

TVLINE | And finally, since there’s a pretty big Ben/Amy (played by Shailene Woodley) following out there: Is there anything between the exes that fandom can look forward to this season?
As this show is really skilled at, there are definitely going to be a lot of interactions between Ben/Amy, Adrian/Ricky (Daren Kagasoff) and Ben/Ricky. It’s a small world, that high school. [Laughs] Amy, in particular, has been through the pregnancy-thing before, so she’s there. You’re also going to see Ben yearn for a way out eventually, and why would you not want to go back to your first love? There is a lot of fun stuff between Ben and Amy coming up.

The Secret Life returns to ABC Family Monday night at 8/7c.

1. Renee says:

I am 22 years old and have followed this show since it began and I love it. What I don’t understand is if people have such a problem with it then why waste your time watching it or better yet why waste your time reading an article on the show? It looks to me like some people need to find a better hobby.

2. anna says:

I myslef watch this show and enjoy it. I was a mom at 16 and had my second child at 18 I also married at 16. I watch this show with my daughter now and we discuss the hardships of being a teen parent and why a person should wait to have a sexual relationship of anykind. This show is one that I really enjoy watching and am glad that it is on. I am not proud of the things that I did in my past although I would not ask to do it over as I have wonderful children that I have raised and continue to do so. Their father and I did divorce as a result of a young marriage but i remarried after some time and they have a sister and we are a family and it is one that I would not trade for anything in this world.
    To the ones that do not like this show just turn the channel no one is making you watch but there are those of us who enjoy it.

3. Susan says:

I like the show; however, my husband leaves the room when it comes on. I get so sick of hearing the word “SEX” that I start focusing on how many times its said and miss the storyline! Writers……please eliminate “the word” being used sooooooooo many times during the program!!!

4. sarah says:

as a 29 year-old, married with two, i hate to say that i like this show! the acting is pretty bad, not gonna lie! and the fact that 2 people in the same social circle got pregnant, feels a little far fetched. and why do they have to say “sex” so many times an episode? we know what they are talking about!
    however, i do believe a lot of high school aged children (yes, children!) are facing these issues, and if it helps just ONE person, the show has done its job!
    i will continue watching (recording to watch at my leisure) until the end of the season, possibly the entire run of the show.
    oh, and Molly Ringwald is amazing! Its so good to see her on screen again.

5. Jenna says:

I LOVE THIS SHOW I wait for the new seasons their is some schooling in it amy goes to a program in new york FOR SCHOOLING. its not completly realistic, but what show is I am a fan of this show on facebook, and would love2 see any of u HATERS creat a show that gets over 1000 positive coments on every update… u dont like it keep it to yourselves nd leave the show to the millions that do watch it.

6. AR says:

If you assholes don’t like this show..why the hell did u watch it and bother to even comment about it on here? Seriously..go back to Jersey shore and STFU.:)

7. Mari says:

I love this show for the adults!! The only negative comment I have is that every and I mean EVERY other word of the dialog is “sex”. I mean come on, we get it, they’re teenagers that want to have sex…please writers change it up a bit or don’t include it at all. End rant/

8. shannan says:

My 16 year old daughter Tess and I have watched this show from the very begining we love it would not miss an episode its our bonding time

9. Lala says:

Okay… can i just know why everybody hates ben and amy together? Seriously? All I hear in response to that is ‘ben iz ugly”ricky iz so hawt!’ ‘I luv ricky!’ ‘they had a baby 2gether’ okay… and? Yes, i know ben and amy had their immature moments but both have matured quite a bit since. The only immaturity we see from ben now comes from not wanting to be with adrian. He’s not willing to do anything for her even though thats HIS baby.When Amy was pregnant he was willing to give her the world without hesitation and do anything for her. and even though he had jealousy issues afterword he was still very patient with her during her moody-just-had-a-baby period.And you could tell he still cared for her(despite him cheating on her, that was his bad, i agree. Don’t know how that all of the sudden makes him good for adrain all of the sudden). I still see potential for them yet. Honestly I think putting the couplings as they are NOW ruined the show for me, and yet, i still watch. Come on, its a good show and you guys know that the show was still just as hopelessly addicting and lovable even when ben and amy were together. That was just when everybody was just getting to know the show and getting hooked on it. Now come on, you wouldn’t have watched the show that long waiting for ricky/amy to happen through the long period of ben/amy if you didn’t like ben/amy. Even if you dont like a coupling, why let it hurt a good show?

10. Amanda Greer says:

I LOVE THE SECRET LIFE OF THE AMERICAN TEENAGER. I THINK IT DOES REVOLVE AROUND A LOT OF PERSONAL EXPERIENCES TEENAGERS FACE IN HIGH SCHOOL. SEX BEING NUMBER ONE WHETHER IT BE PEER PRESSURE OR JUST TO SEE WHAT THE BIG DEAL IS. I WAS A TEENAGE MOTHER. THIS IS A VERY POSITIVE SHOW. I LOVE IT I LOVE RICKY AND AMY BECAUSE I BELIEVE IN HAPPILY EVER AFTERS AND BEN AND ADRIAN. I JUST RECENTLY STATRED WATCHING BUT GOT NETFLIX SO I WATCHED ALL THE SHOWS AND JUST LOVE IT PLEASE KEEP ITT THE WAY IT IS BEN AND AMY AND JOHN AND BEN AND ADRIAN

11. Hayley says:

I only watch for Francia Raisa. She’s such a great actress.

12. Friendly word says:

I don’t know what all the fuss is about. The show has been on for 3 seasons now and probably will make it through 4 without running out of ideas. I don’t see it going past 4 though, with the way the expedite timelines in this show by the time season 4 rolls around Ben will be dead, adriane will be a successful 40y old lawyer and Amy and Ricky will
    Be divorced but still trying to “work things out”. So stop bitching it’s almost over :)

13. Traci says:

I’m sorry but the show becomes more and more unrealistic and too phony. The main reason everyone is rooting for Ricky and Amy is cause they had a child together. But i dont think that they belong together at all. They should atleast show the point that you can move on and meet people and they will accept you baby and all and it doesnt always work out with your baby daddy. I thought Adrian got Ricky on a more emotional level then Amy does and was dissappointed when they broke up. I think Amy is really bitchy and wanted to have her cake and eat it too. She forgave Ben for sleeping with Adrian but cause Adrian wound up pregnant it was unforgivable. Gave her an excuse to run to Ricky who even though she was with Ben wanted to have him for herself too. Ben was a bit whiney at first but common in HS you know you have a good guy when he stands behind you during your pregnancy when its not his baby. Thats rare and she treated him like garbage.

14. her.mom says:

I ABSOLUTLY LOVE THIS SHOW!!!!! I

15. her.mom says:

I think this shows all young girls out there the difficulties of being a teen mom in high school me myself having a baby in high school can some what relate to these girls. I think this show is great:))

16. Shiningsea says:

It’s basically a soap opera for teens. That’s all there is to it. You can like it or not, but don’t waste your time complaining about it.