House Mystery: What Did Thirteen Do?!

Get More: Previews, Scoop, Spoilers

Holy twist, Batman: Turns out when Olivia Wilde’s Huntington’s-afflicted Thirteen tendered her leave of absence last May on House, she wasn’t jetting off to some foreign land to undergo an experimental medical treatment — she was going straight to jail!

The bombshell was dropped into a Fox press release previewing the Fox hit’s April 11 episode:

“Thirteen has been in prison for the past year, but the real mystery for House is what she did to get there. When she exits the prison, she is taken aback to find him waiting for her, and unaware he’s got plans for the two of them for the next few days. As House probes Thirteen for more information about her crime, intent on solving the puzzle of her mysterious incarceration, they travel to an annual spud-gun competition and join forces to compete against House’s much younger, overconfident rival, and along the journey uncover secrets and truths about each other.”

Earlier this year, House creator David Shore hinted to TVLine that Wilde’s comeback would confound expectations. “We have something very cool in mind,” he said. “We’re writing an episode built largely around her return. I know [fans] are speculating about what happened to her during her absence, and I don’t want to rule anything out.”

Getting back to the question posed in the headline, why did Thirteen get tossed in the clink? Sounds like the perfect topic for a poll question!

Comments (269)

• I miss Cameron.

Comment by Kevin – March 29, 2011 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My first thought was that she mercy-killed the Lori Petty Huntington’s character she met a while back. But that would’ve made headlines in the world of House, so that can’t be it.

Comment by Deb Mac – March 29, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss House/Cuddy. I want the old House back, stat!

Comment by Hop – March 29, 2011 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she comes back to her former house,the one when she was young : remember she has sold all in her apartment, left it empty, & no more phone on 1rst EP from 7th season…indeed, She plans to kills her father by a shot…for a former pedophilia relationship who explain she is more lesbian than hetero-sexual (lack of sexuality for his father with her mother who had Huntington)

Anyway,the friendship with a “same age” man, HOUSE, is quite well exploited : very touching, between attraction & repulsion, between hate & dependance, between love & affection ; They speak a lot, play together in a gun’s competition, complicity, very great mutual admiration, almost love at least… : no seriously, a great EP !

Comment by marco – March 29, 2011 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ..oh I forgot : She is relaxed, out of jail ’cause she is ill, & this is thanks to HOUSE who prove it

Comment by marco – March 29, 2011 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • what? but 13 said her dad was great

Comment by sander – March 30, 2011 05:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If she killed Kutner, she wouldn’t getting out in a year.

Comment by Racheal – March 29, 2011 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad Olivia Wilde is coming back to the show, although I don’t see the point of doing it the way they’ve chosen to. I think it’s too overdone. For once, I’m more interested in what’s going on in the patient’s house than what’s going on with the main characters. I am glad Masters will be leaving. I have nothing against Tamblyn, I just find her character annoying.

Comment by Sutaru – March 29, 2011 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has anyone considered that House might actually know the reason that she went to jail and that he’s just trying to play more “house” games to get her to admit it to both him and herself. He’s done things similar to this before in order to not only entertain himself but to help people out with their personal situations. He’s not bad deep down, he just doens’t like to show that he’s being a good guy.

I think this could be a really interesting story line and can’t wait to see it!

Oh and loving Ashleys suggestion “Maybe she knew someone diseased in jail, so she pulled a petty crime so she would go to jail, in turn being able to care for that person.” More considering this would be a medical mystery rather than just a care for an ill person thing though!

Comment by Jack – March 30, 2011 02:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she lies to Wilson in his EP, because she was the queen of this game : you know the ep she shows her breasts to Taub : Lockdown, directed by Hugh Laurie…

Comment by marco – March 30, 2011 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wouldn’t Thirteen and Marissa Cooper go on a Thelma & Louise like crime spree?

Comment by Luis – March 30, 2011 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Considering how long the show’s been running, props to Shore for keeping it relatively fresh. It’s a procedural about medical anomolies. That’s difficult to maintain for 150 episodes.

Comment by Kr – March 30, 2011 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s get this straight…the show is called House…House is why people watch (Hugh Laurie) not 13. House was great before and without I thought Cameron and cut throat bitch were better characters and I didn’t like them all that much. as for the story line…the writers will make it interesting eventhough I could really care less about her.

Comment by TankZ – March 30, 2011 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the writer’s do a great job, EXCEPT the episode a few weeks ago where House and Cuddy were having those stupid dreams. I absolutely positively hated that episode. Worst one for House, in my opinion

Comment by Tyler – March 30, 2011 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think there is only so much that can be done with a show before it gets ridiculous, I appreciate that a medical aspect stays with the show amid the drama of the characters.

Comment by Amanda – March 30, 2011 02:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ah….to get back to story line, didn’t 13 make a short trip to Thailand before she took her LOA? Could she have brought back drugs??
    Recreational or experimental?

Comment by maggi – March 30, 2011 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thirteen is, next to House and Wilson, the best character!!!
    I guess she was a drug dealer and got caught…something like that

Comment by Amelie – March 30, 2011 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It is beyond hard to believe that House could not find her charges. But I still love the show and it can only get more amazing once 13 returns. Also, I love that Masters will be gone! On another note, I hope there is more of House’s wife. Their chemistry is pretty entertaining.

Comment by aie – March 30, 2011 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 13 is my favorite character on House!

Comment by Nina – March 30, 2011 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While 13 isn’t my favorite (obviously House is) I’m very excited to see what she was in prison for. I have been waiting for her return from her movie filming, and am so excited that the time is almost here. I hope this episode doesn’t dissapoint as it seems to have a nice twist off the top!!!!

Comment by Bri – March 30, 2011 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I too am a fan of 13. Shut im a fan of the whole cast, honestly please dont have her, have been commited murder, for one it would not be believable,and second, its not in her character. Maybe she commited some kind of fraud?

Comment by Jessica – March 30, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is going on with this show? It just keeps getting weirder. What made them think of this? Was Olivia unavailable and this was the best excuse they could come up with for 13′s absence? And House can find out anything about anybody but he can’t pull up public records? I used to love House but every season it gets more complicated and lame.

Comment by ronnie – March 30, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It could be for self medicating from the hospital supplies or prescription theft or a fraudster or mis diagnosing a patient who died ???? What was it for??? Help ?? I need an answer now or this will wreck my head ;-)))

Comment by Michelle. – March 30, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Highly possible since she was caught doing that already.

Comment by talia – March 30, 2011 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like 13. She has lesbian urges which is sexy and she goes by 13. How cool is that? She’s a freakin number, a number that’s considered taboo. She’s a hottie. But house is by far my favorite character. Sexy for an older man who knows his profession and has an ego to match.

Comment by talia – March 30, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think what she did has something to do with a sex offense. Maybe she was cruising chicks again and picked up somebody underage? Might that explain the reason why there’s little information about why she’s in prison? (I know that’s a stretch but when the preview said it would stay with her forever, I was thinking sex offense.)

Comment by Pughead – March 30, 2011 02:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parking tickets mounted up cos she refused to pay extortionate parking fees at the hospital

Comment by Michy – March 30, 2011 02:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lets keep this in perspective…the show is called House…so all of you who say 13 is the best I am calling bull …. You just like te rest of us watch to see what House is going to do. I think her character is boring she is not humorous and it is like

Comment by TankZ – March 30, 2011 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • you people are ridiculous…we have established that she probably has not killed anyone, although i do like the one comment about trying to cash checks made out to twelve…and for those of you who don’t know in house, her actual name is remy hadley

Comment by careen – March 30, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thirteen is hot end of story case closed.

Comment by anonymous – March 30, 2011 02:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe she was providing house with his vitakin and didn’t want him to know she got found out how bad would that be for house?

Comment by Michy – March 30, 2011 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought her absence would be because she was pregnant with Foreman’s baby and gave it up for adoption. I guess that would be too cliche for House…

Comment by House Fan – March 30, 2011 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House isn’t just interested about finding out… He always knows everything before they tell him…. The twist for House is getting the person to tell him…. HE wants to hear it from their mouth…

Comment by Ninoub – March 30, 2011 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think all of you are childish its a tv show if you don’t like the story line don’t fg watch the show. Change the channel! And don’t critize the writers or the ones that do like the show! Some people really need to ask permission to speak!!!!!

Comment by marie – March 30, 2011 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah kid anyone who watches the show can talk smack about whatever they want..it’s called an opinion…writers make bad decisions and well those who watch are the ones to let them know and some are trying to do that…if you don’t like something you try to make a change or help correct not sit back

Comment by TankZ – March 30, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As cool as it would be if she killed Kutner. Bringing “Kutner” back would just be stupid. The killed him off spur of the moment and that was the end of it. A simple fast way to get rib of the charecter.

I wouldn’t be surprised if she went to jail for something someone else did.

For example, Chase killing off that dictator, or Foreman getting her into that trial (I think I remember there being something illegal about it). Or something House did. I’m sure when they bring her back, we’ll all be like “oh yeah”.

Comment by xadei – March 30, 2011 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am very disappointed in House this year..Him and cuddy should have stayed together..and i dont care about 13

Comment by misty – March 30, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not so excited about thirteen coming back. It felt as if the show had just got back on track. I have nothing to complain about her acting abilities, but her character doesn’t seem interesting to me. Anyways, we’ll see how this goes. I hope for the best.

Comment by HouseFan – March 30, 2011 02:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No reason she left at all.. Olivia wanted to do Tron so she asked if something can happen to her character so she can film! She also have three films coming up this year.

Just like Kutner’s character died to so Kal Penn persue a non-acting career.

Comment by Emmm – March 30, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Being drunk or drugged at the wheel of a car possible causing a minor accident but kept it quiet so she didn’t lose her job altogether :-£

Comment by Michy – March 30, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow hit submit early…as I was saying it is like they are always trying to make you feel sorry for her….she is too depressing to watch anymore she is the Ehor or snufalufagus of house should only get a couple of minutes then bounce the chick…Cameron was not a fav of mine but she was better so was cut throat B…the story line will be ok house will make it interesting it would be better if house got sent to jail or Forman…could you imagine what house would say probably make fun of him for stealing cars….

Comment by TankZ – March 30, 2011 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • House is A great actor keeps us entertained cos you never know what he’s going to say next fantastic show love all the actors but house keeps me fixated on the tv it’s great

Comment by Michy – March 30, 2011 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you people dont like the show then why are you reading this and commenting on it?

Comment by elissa – March 30, 2011 02:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • To all the whiner/trolls:

If you don’t like it, don’t watch it. Sheesh!

Some people just like to hear themselves gripe. Usually they are the ones who bring the least to the table in life. Always problems, few solutions…

Perhaps you can tell us about the shows you’ve written for…..

Comment by Joe – March 30, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You sound like you are whining about people whining….seriously kid…guess what people who watch shows are the ones who judge the writers don’t have to wrote to know if a story line is good…oh and btw I don’t write for any show and I say 13 is a boring sad character

Comment by TankZ – March 30, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She admitted and took the blaim for prescribing house all his vicadin so he could get off.

Comment by rick – March 30, 2011 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • maybe she did something related to searching for a cure? Broke into a research facility maybe?

Comment by Rachel – March 30, 2011 03:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited that 13 is back!!!! I have missed her!!! Maybe she was in jail for theft…

Comment by maya – March 30, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perhaps since her husband died of something medical, it was assisted suicide.

And obviously, House knows if he meets her getting out of jail.

Comment by Kat – March 30, 2011 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They grossly over-used Thirteen in seasons 4 and 5. And now I. Just. Don’t. Care.

That last thing I want to see is a House/Thirteen road trip. Yet another gift to Olivia Wilde.

I did care about Cameron. And Amber. And Kutner a bit. But Thirteen, Foreman and Taub put me to sleep.

Comment by Jill – March 30, 2011 03:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • 13 is hot who cares

Comment by dc – March 30, 2011 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Killing someone unless it was clearly an accidental murder does not get you JUST a year’s jailtime.

Comment by Feyda – March 30, 2011 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love House it’s never a dull moment and I can’t wait for the Return of 13 episode….HOUSE RULZ

Comment by Lise – March 30, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she is ill so she can go out !
    on the video, she seems to try to remember what append !

Comment by marco – March 30, 2011 03:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love House! It’s called entertainment, if you’re looking for something else….then watch something else. And please lose the word “retarded” from your descriptive vocabulary.

Comment by debbie – March 30, 2011 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post