Chuck Vs. Fringe: The Final Battle Begins!

And then there were two. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we’ve come to the final faceoff in TVLine.com’s first annual ‘Renew Our Show!’ Bracket Tournament, but not without a twist in the proceedings.

You see, the first of our two finalists, NBC’s Chuck, remains very much on the bubble, having yet to receive a commitment for a fifth-season pickup. But late last week, the good folks at Fox went ahead and ordered a fourth season of Fringe, right around the time TVLine.com readers sent the sci-fi thriller into the finals of our single-elimination competition for 16 at-risk series hoping to score slots on the 2011-2012 primetime calendar.

And yet while Chuck and Fringe aficionados will now have very different motivations for voting, we’re still expecting a thrilling slugfest for the “Renew Our Show!” crown. A vote for Chuck is a clear message to NBC that the sexy spy thriller can still be a viable ratings draw. A vote for Fringe is a great way to celebrate the show’s good news and say “thanks” to Fox for an additional year of creepy good fun.

To make the finals, of course, Fringe had to vanquish Outsourced, V, and Nikita; in its half of the draw, Chuck wiped out Human Target, Lie to Me, and Parenthood. Click here to see the entire bracket (then click again on the image for a zoomed-in view). And if you’re losing sleep about the status of anything currently on your DVR “series-recording” lineup, don’t miss our regularly updated Renewal Scorecard feature.

But now, you’ve got a tough choice to make — either Chuck or Fringe. Polls will be open for 48 hours, and once you’re done, feel free to hit the comments to justify your vote, and head to Facebook and Twitter to whip your fellow fanboys and fangirls into a frenzy.

Oh! And to get alerted to all future “Renew Our Show” showdowns, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. And now the time has come for you to vote for the ultimate winner!

1. rtmtluvfringe says:

Fringe! We have to prove Fox made the right decision to renew.

2. Mykey716 says:

Why are you/we wasting our time with this? Fringe was renewed; this whole ‘game’ was/is pointless!

3. Ravenwing263 says:

In a real contest, I would (very painfully) vote for “Fringe” over “Chuck” but since “Fringe” has already been renewed, it goes to “Chuck”.

4. Spring says:

I’m sorry, this is ridiculous. The whole point of this is to pick an in danger show that we want renewed. Fringe isn’t in danger anymore! Which is awesome, of course, but it shouldn’t even be in this match up. It’s already safe. Chuck isn’t. Sorry TVLine, I’m a huge fan, but disappointed in this decision. You should’ve defaulted it to Nikita and Chuck. And yes, I would feel the same way if it was Chuck that was renewed already.

5. Andrea says:

I voted for Fringe because I love it (also, I’ve never seen Chuck so I have no basis for comparison).

6. Jake says:

Chuck’s last episode was so bad, I’m voting for Fringe, even though it is already renewed…

7. sashay says:

For everyone voting for Chuck over Fringe simply because Fringe was renewed and Chuck is still on the bubble: do you really think winning this contest will have any sort of influence on NBC? Does Michael really have that kind of pull? Not being snarky here, I just don’t see it. I’d like to think this site is being watched by TPTB, but I kind of doubt it.

8. claire says:

CHUCK ! No hesitation here, even if i really appreciate fringe, especially this season, the fact that it has been renewed isn’t relevant in my voting. Chuck is by far the best tv show ever, it still has great, funny, outstanding stories to tell. I’ve created so many fans on my own by spreading the good news of this fantastic show, here in France (yes, I’m very proud of it :p).

So pretty please, save Chuck !

9. Mary says:

This poll is too cruel. I love both shows but I am gonna haveta go with Fringe. Chuck’s storyline at the moment seems to be coming to a standstill. I’m hoping there’s a bigger buildup but the show reached its peak in season 3 IMO.

10. Lisa says:

Oh man, I’m a big fan of both shows. But I love to fight a good fight, so I’m sticking with Fringe.

11. John Berggren says:

This is the first time I’m not voting for Fringe. Not that these votes have a direct impact on renewal – but if my favorite show just got renewed – I hope someone else’s favorite show gets renewed too :).
    Go Team Bartowski.

12. Jacob says:

Why I vote Fringe:
    It’s a better show. It may have already been picked up, but that doesn’t make it any less deserving. Just because it already /has/ been renewed doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t be, and since this is a poll about which one /should/ be renewed most – Fringe wins, regardless of that fact that it’s already picked up.

13. Travis says:

hulu.com/bestinshow

CHUCK Versus DEXTER!!!

lets do it Chuck fans!!

14. Stef says:

In the beginning, I was going to vote for Fringe since it still has so much story to tell and Chuck is slowing down, but since it has been renewed my vote goes to Chuck. I was worried I would have to choose between my two favorite shows, but Fringe is safe now and Chuck needs help once again. (:

15. Guilherme Cruz says:

Chuck will win only because Fringe’s already renewed.
    Deal with it, Chuck fans ;)

16. Roni Roberson says:

Im a huge fan of both shows. And it only makes sense to give it to Chuck since Fringe already got picked up PRAISE THE LORT!!!

17. jay says:

Chuck all the way!!! I love both shows, but even if Fringe wasn’t renewed, I still would have voted for Chuck!! Come’on NBC, renew already!!

18. lace says:

Fringe should be disqualified, it’s already been renewed.

19. Cass says:

Love both shows, so I’m glad FRINGE (which would have pulled out ahead in my book) has been renewed and I can heartily vote for CHUCK, which absolutely deserves another season. Especially considering all of NBC’s new-show flops from the current season, I don’t think they should cancel one of their shows that at least produces a loyal audience and put all their eggs in the fall-pilots basket. (I’m a little surprised that NIKITA didn’t win the semifinals by default, although I reckon CHUCK still would have been the victor here had that been the case.)

20. Daki says:

I m vote for Chuck a great tv show

21. John says:

Chuck will be cancelled by May (hopefully earlier!) :)

22. Evan Meadow says:

Fringe got renewed, Chuck needs to win by forfeit.

Otherwise I really don’t know how I’d choose.

23. Matt says:

I’d throw “Chuck” under the bus, if I had to. I am glad “Fringe” was renewed and I don’t.

24. Susan says:

CHUCK still has the best cast on TV! I’d like to see the writers go to more one-hour stories, instead of the long story arcs. They just tend to have more action & humor, that way. My vote is for CHUCK and it’s outstanding cast!

25. Jacqi says:

I don’t watch either one but I voted for Chuck since Fringe is already renewed.

26. Joe Jackson says:

Voted for Chuck since Fringe is already renewed

27. Thom says:

Fringe. The one and only answer

28. Bokkie says:

NEWSFLASH: 40% of all viewers of this poll are idiots who had their heads too far up their rears to realize fringe has already been renewed and the victory should really go to chuck.

Besides think about it, what is NBC going to replace chuck with? The pilots don’t look that promising so far folks so lets give this one to chuck as an added message to the powers that be that chuck deserves another season.

29. Ariel says:

I am a Chuck fan, but I’ve always felt a sort of kinship with Fringe fans just because we are so often in that same position of supporting a great but often underperforming show. And even though my vote here naturally goes to Chuck, I must express how pleased I am for Fringe fans!

30. davej says:

These are my 2 favorite shows that are on the bubble. I am voting for Chuck since Fringe is already renewed.

31. Amy says:

I don’t even watch “Chuck,” but as a “Fringe” fan I want others to share the joy I feel about the renewal, so voting for “Chuck.”

32. Diogo says:

Fringe has been renewed. VOTE FOR CHUCK!

33. Samantha says:

If you’re voting here for Chuck (as I hope everyone is!) head over to Hulu where Chuck is also in the finals for their Best in Show bracket! If Chuck sweeps both (and it’s in the lead currently in both) I can’t imagine that NBC won’t take that fan support into consideration.

34. Kit says:

I’m a Fringe fan, but I voted for Chuck because our show’s already been renewed.

SOLIDARITY, CHUCK FANS! <3 Good luck to you!

35. Brynna says:

Fringe is set. Let’s rock this for CHUCK!!!!

36. nella says:

whether fringe was renewed or not, my vote goes to chuck.

37. mike says:

I vote chuck

38. Laura NL says:

Too bad Lie to Me lost so early in the match… Truly deserving to be renewed.

But about Chuck, it’s just not what it used to be, I loved the show whit Matt Bomer in it, now it just sucks. Thanks God White Collar is coming soon :D:D

39. Pocki says:

Well, the poll said “proven most worthy” and to me that is most certainly Fringe. I really want Chuck to get picked up too of course but to be perfectly honest, I’m getting slightly tired of it *shrug*

40. Matt says:

As a die-hard Fringe fan, my vote would need to go to Fringe because I love it so much. But, the satisfaction of seeing my favorite show being #1 comes second to my consideration of Chuck fans. Chuck is still on the bubble, and being a fan of a TV show that was on the bubble and riding on pins and needles for months, I know what die-hards of Chuck must be feeling. So, with that, my vote went to Chuck. I wish you all the best.

If Fringe is un-renewed I’ll be pissed. (lol)

41. Hunter says:

Vote for CHUCK!! Help us Chucksters out even if you are a Fringe fan, your show has already been renewed so now it’s time to help us with our show!! Go CHUCK!!!

42. Amber says:

Chuck Chuck Chuck yay 2 for 2 this week baby. Love it yay yay yay

43. Karen says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you Fox for renewing Fringe!!! Best news I have had in forever. Now if NBC can pull their heads out of the sand and renew Chuck all would be perfect.

I would have voted Fringe except for the renewal. You really can’t pit these two against each other: Different nights, different genres, different everything! So I think the bracket idea sucked … it belongs to college basketball and should be banned from any other use, it’s been so over done!

44. Mindy says:

I like Fringe better, and I think it had a better season. However, it is already renewed. So, I am throwing support to Chuck to help all of its fans send a message to NBC.

45. DB says:

even though Chuck has been uneven lately (after the first half of season wrapped,) it’s still a hilarious action comedy, so renew it already.

46. Lucy says:

I love both shows but I do feel that Chuck is slowing down a bit (I blame the network for forcing the creators to “end” the series over and over, something that can really only be done so many times) while Fringe is just hitting it’s stride. So I vote for Fringe to thank Fox for having the guts and wisdom to not do to Fringe what NBC has done to Chuck.

47. Alan says:

my vote goes to Northern Exposure!!!! Bring that show back!!!

48. Lisa says:

Chuck!!! Totally totally love Chuck!!!!

49. Lee Wightwick says:

Over here in Scotland, never heard of ‘Fringe’…. Seems a stupid final if it has already been renewed, thus Chuck should win ??? Never miss an episode of Chuck, has a great cast, great humor and some great storylines, can’t believe there is a chance it will be cancelled when there are so many shows that are far worse…