Chuck Vs. Fringe: The Final Battle Begins!

And then there were two. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we’ve come to the final faceoff in TVLine.com’s first annual ‘Renew Our Show!’ Bracket Tournament, but not without a twist in the proceedings.

You see, the first of our two finalists, NBC’s Chuck, remains very much on the bubble, having yet to receive a commitment for a fifth-season pickup. But late last week, the good folks at Fox went ahead and ordered a fourth season of Fringe, right around the time TVLine.com readers sent the sci-fi thriller into the finals of our single-elimination competition for 16 at-risk series hoping to score slots on the 2011-2012 primetime calendar.

And yet while Chuck and Fringe aficionados will now have very different motivations for voting, we’re still expecting a thrilling slugfest for the “Renew Our Show!” crown. A vote for Chuck is a clear message to NBC that the sexy spy thriller can still be a viable ratings draw. A vote for Fringe is a great way to celebrate the show’s good news and say “thanks” to Fox for an additional year of creepy good fun.

To make the finals, of course, Fringe had to vanquish Outsourced, V, and Nikita; in its half of the draw, Chuck wiped out Human Target, Lie to Me, and Parenthood. Click here to see the entire bracket (then click again on the image for a zoomed-in view). And if you’re losing sleep about the status of anything currently on your DVR “series-recording” lineup, don’t miss our regularly updated Renewal Scorecard feature.

But now, you’ve got a tough choice to make — either Chuck or Fringe. Polls will be open for 48 hours, and once you’re done, feel free to hit the comments to justify your vote, and head to Facebook and Twitter to whip your fellow fanboys and fangirls into a frenzy.

Oh! And to get alerted to all future “Renew Our Show” showdowns, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. And now the time has come for you to vote for the ultimate winner!

Comments (192)

• Fringe! We have to prove Fox made the right decision to renew.

Comment by rtmtluvfringe – March 28, 2011 11:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why are you/we wasting our time with this? Fringe was renewed; this whole ‘game’ was/is pointless!

Comment by Mykey716 – March 28, 2011 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In a real contest, I would (very painfully) vote for “Fringe” over “Chuck” but since “Fringe” has already been renewed, it goes to “Chuck”.

Comment by Ravenwing263 – March 28, 2011 11:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry, this is ridiculous. The whole point of this is to pick an in danger show that we want renewed. Fringe isn’t in danger anymore! Which is awesome, of course, but it shouldn’t even be in this match up. It’s already safe. Chuck isn’t. Sorry TVLine, I’m a huge fan, but disappointed in this decision. You should’ve defaulted it to Nikita and Chuck. And yes, I would feel the same way if it was Chuck that was renewed already.

Comment by Spring – March 28, 2011 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I voted for Fringe because I love it (also, I’ve never seen Chuck so I have no basis for comparison).

Comment by Andrea – March 28, 2011 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck’s last episode was so bad, I’m voting for Fringe, even though it is already renewed…

Comment by Jake – March 28, 2011 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For everyone voting for Chuck over Fringe simply because Fringe was renewed and Chuck is still on the bubble: do you really think winning this contest will have any sort of influence on NBC? Does Michael really have that kind of pull? Not being snarky here, I just don’t see it. I’d like to think this site is being watched by TPTB, but I kind of doubt it.

Comment by sashay – March 28, 2011 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK ! No hesitation here, even if i really appreciate fringe, especially this season, the fact that it has been renewed isn’t relevant in my voting. Chuck is by far the best tv show ever, it still has great, funny, outstanding stories to tell. I’ve created so many fans on my own by spreading the good news of this fantastic show, here in France (yes, I’m very proud of it :p).

So pretty please, save Chuck !

Comment by claire – March 28, 2011 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This poll is too cruel. I love both shows but I am gonna haveta go with Fringe. Chuck’s storyline at the moment seems to be coming to a standstill. I’m hoping there’s a bigger buildup but the show reached its peak in season 3 IMO.

Comment by Mary – March 28, 2011 12:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh man, I’m a big fan of both shows. But I love to fight a good fight, so I’m sticking with Fringe.

Comment by Lisa – March 28, 2011 12:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the first time I’m not voting for Fringe. Not that these votes have a direct impact on renewal – but if my favorite show just got renewed – I hope someone else’s favorite show gets renewed too :).
    Go Team Bartowski.

Comment by John Berggren – March 28, 2011 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why I vote Fringe:
    It’s a better show. It may have already been picked up, but that doesn’t make it any less deserving. Just because it already /has/ been renewed doesn’t mean that it shouldn’t be, and since this is a poll about which one /should/ be renewed most – Fringe wins, regardless of that fact that it’s already picked up.

Comment by Jacob – March 28, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hulu.com/bestinshow

CHUCK Versus DEXTER!!!

lets do it Chuck fans!!

Comment by Travis – March 28, 2011 12:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the beginning, I was going to vote for Fringe since it still has so much story to tell and Chuck is slowing down, but since it has been renewed my vote goes to Chuck. I was worried I would have to choose between my two favorite shows, but Fringe is safe now and Chuck needs help once again. (:

Comment by Stef – March 28, 2011 12:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck will win only because Fringe’s already renewed.
    Deal with it, Chuck fans ;)

Comment by Guilherme Cruz – March 28, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im a huge fan of both shows. And it only makes sense to give it to Chuck since Fringe already got picked up PRAISE THE LORT!!!

Comment by Roni Roberson – March 28, 2011 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck all the way!!! I love both shows, but even if Fringe wasn’t renewed, I still would have voted for Chuck!! Come’on NBC, renew already!!

Comment by jay – March 28, 2011 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe should be disqualified, it’s already been renewed.

Comment by lace – March 28, 2011 12:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love both shows, so I’m glad FRINGE (which would have pulled out ahead in my book) has been renewed and I can heartily vote for CHUCK, which absolutely deserves another season. Especially considering all of NBC’s new-show flops from the current season, I don’t think they should cancel one of their shows that at least produces a loyal audience and put all their eggs in the fall-pilots basket. (I’m a little surprised that NIKITA didn’t win the semifinals by default, although I reckon CHUCK still would have been the victor here had that been the case.)

Comment by Cass – March 28, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I m vote for Chuck a great tv show

Comment by Daki – March 28, 2011 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck will be cancelled by May (hopefully earlier!) :)

Comment by John – March 28, 2011 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe got renewed, Chuck needs to win by forfeit.

Otherwise I really don’t know how I’d choose.

Comment by Evan Meadow – March 28, 2011 01:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d throw “Chuck” under the bus, if I had to. I am glad “Fringe” was renewed and I don’t.

Comment by Matt – March 28, 2011 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK still has the best cast on TV! I’d like to see the writers go to more one-hour stories, instead of the long story arcs. They just tend to have more action & humor, that way. My vote is for CHUCK and it’s outstanding cast!

Comment by Susan – March 28, 2011 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t watch either one but I voted for Chuck since Fringe is already renewed.

Comment by Jacqi – March 28, 2011 01:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Voted for Chuck since Fringe is already renewed

Comment by Joe Jackson – March 28, 2011 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe. The one and only answer

Comment by Thom – March 28, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NEWSFLASH: 40% of all viewers of this poll are idiots who had their heads too far up their rears to realize fringe has already been renewed and the victory should really go to chuck.

Besides think about it, what is NBC going to replace chuck with? The pilots don’t look that promising so far folks so lets give this one to chuck as an added message to the powers that be that chuck deserves another season.

Comment by Bokkie – March 28, 2011 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am a Chuck fan, but I’ve always felt a sort of kinship with Fringe fans just because we are so often in that same position of supporting a great but often underperforming show. And even though my vote here naturally goes to Chuck, I must express how pleased I am for Fringe fans!

Comment by Ariel – March 28, 2011 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • These are my 2 favorite shows that are on the bubble. I am voting for Chuck since Fringe is already renewed.

Comment by davej – March 28, 2011 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t even watch “Chuck,” but as a “Fringe” fan I want others to share the joy I feel about the renewal, so voting for “Chuck.”

Comment by Amy – March 28, 2011 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe has been renewed. VOTE FOR CHUCK!

Comment by Diogo – March 28, 2011 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you’re voting here for Chuck (as I hope everyone is!) head over to Hulu where Chuck is also in the finals for their Best in Show bracket! If Chuck sweeps both (and it’s in the lead currently in both) I can’t imagine that NBC won’t take that fan support into consideration.

Comment by Samantha – March 28, 2011 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m a Fringe fan, but I voted for Chuck because our show’s already been renewed.

SOLIDARITY, CHUCK FANS! <3 Good luck to you!

Comment by Kit – March 28, 2011 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fringe is set. Let’s rock this for CHUCK!!!!

Comment by Brynna – March 28, 2011 02:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • whether fringe was renewed or not, my vote goes to chuck.

Comment by nella – March 28, 2011 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote chuck

Comment by mike – March 28, 2011 02:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Too bad Lie to Me lost so early in the match… Truly deserving to be renewed.

But about Chuck, it’s just not what it used to be, I loved the show whit Matt Bomer in it, now it just sucks. Thanks God White Collar is coming soon :D:D

Comment by Laura NL – March 28, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, the poll said “proven most worthy” and to me that is most certainly Fringe. I really want Chuck to get picked up too of course but to be perfectly honest, I’m getting slightly tired of it *shrug*

Comment by Pocki – March 28, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As a die-hard Fringe fan, my vote would need to go to Fringe because I love it so much. But, the satisfaction of seeing my favorite show being #1 comes second to my consideration of Chuck fans. Chuck is still on the bubble, and being a fan of a TV show that was on the bubble and riding on pins and needles for months, I know what die-hards of Chuck must be feeling. So, with that, my vote went to Chuck. I wish you all the best.

If Fringe is un-renewed I’ll be pissed. (lol)

Comment by Matt – March 28, 2011 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you, for putting in your CHUCK vote!!

Comment by Hunter – March 28, 2011 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Vote for CHUCK!! Help us Chucksters out even if you are a Fringe fan, your show has already been renewed so now it’s time to help us with our show!! Go CHUCK!!!

Comment by Hunter – March 28, 2011 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck Chuck Chuck yay 2 for 2 this week baby. Love it yay yay yay

Comment by Amber – March 28, 2011 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you Fox for renewing Fringe!!! Best news I have had in forever. Now if NBC can pull their heads out of the sand and renew Chuck all would be perfect.

I would have voted Fringe except for the renewal. You really can’t pit these two against each other: Different nights, different genres, different everything! So I think the bracket idea sucked … it belongs to college basketball and should be banned from any other use, it’s been so over done!

Comment by Karen – March 28, 2011 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Fringe better, and I think it had a better season. However, it is already renewed. So, I am throwing support to Chuck to help all of its fans send a message to NBC.

Comment by Mindy – March 28, 2011 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • even though Chuck has been uneven lately (after the first half of season wrapped,) it’s still a hilarious action comedy, so renew it already.

Comment by DB – March 28, 2011 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love both shows but I do feel that Chuck is slowing down a bit (I blame the network for forcing the creators to “end” the series over and over, something that can really only be done so many times) while Fringe is just hitting it’s stride. So I vote for Fringe to thank Fox for having the guts and wisdom to not do to Fringe what NBC has done to Chuck.

Comment by Lucy – March 28, 2011 03:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • my vote goes to Northern Exposure!!!! Bring that show back!!!

Comment by Alan – March 28, 2011 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • CHUCK FOREVER!!

Comment by Larisse – March 28, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Chuck!!! Totally totally love Chuck!!!!

Comment by Lisa – March 28, 2011 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Over here in Scotland, never heard of ‘Fringe’…. Seems a stupid final if it has already been renewed, thus Chuck should win ??? Never miss an episode of Chuck, has a great cast, great humor and some great storylines, can’t believe there is a chance it will be cancelled when there are so many shows that are far worse…

Comment by Lee Wightwick – March 28, 2011 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post