Chuck Vs. Fringe: The Final Battle Begins!

And then there were two. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, we’ve come to the final faceoff in TVLine.com’s first annual ‘Renew Our Show!’ Bracket Tournament, but not without a twist in the proceedings.

You see, the first of our two finalists, NBC’s Chuck, remains very much on the bubble, having yet to receive a commitment for a fifth-season pickup. But late last week, the good folks at Fox went ahead and ordered a fourth season of Fringe, right around the time TVLine.com readers sent the sci-fi thriller into the finals of our single-elimination competition for 16 at-risk series hoping to score slots on the 2011-2012 primetime calendar.

And yet while Chuck and Fringe aficionados will now have very different motivations for voting, we’re still expecting a thrilling slugfest for the “Renew Our Show!” crown. A vote for Chuck is a clear message to NBC that the sexy spy thriller can still be a viable ratings draw. A vote for Fringe is a great way to celebrate the show’s good news and say “thanks” to Fox for an additional year of creepy good fun.

To make the finals, of course, Fringe had to vanquish Outsourced, V, and Nikita; in its half of the draw, Chuck wiped out Human Target, Lie to Me, and Parenthood. Click here to see the entire bracket (then click again on the image for a zoomed-in view). And if you’re losing sleep about the status of anything currently on your DVR “series-recording” lineup, don’t miss our regularly updated Renewal Scorecard feature.

But now, you’ve got a tough choice to make — either Chuck or Fringe. Polls will be open for 48 hours, and once you’re done, feel free to hit the comments to justify your vote, and head to Facebook and Twitter to whip your fellow fanboys and fangirls into a frenzy.

Oh! And to get alerted to all future “Renew Our Show” showdowns, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV. And now the time has come for you to vote for the ultimate winner!

1. Sergei says:

Chuck!!!!

• LOL says:

Vote for CHUCK! Fringe is already renewed.

• GimnplyGump says:

I ditto that remark!!! I ♥<3 Chuck (The show you razzin-frazzen … heh)

• Peter says:

Ditto as well. I do love Fringe as well but I’d argue Chuck needs this more just in case this does influence NBC in some small way.

• will says:

i used to watch CHUCK but got bored after just one season. FRINGE is brilliant and only gets better with age. any other day, i would have given my vote to FRINGE. any other day, FRINGE would have won this poll easy breezy. however, FRINGE ALREADY WON. we’ve been renewed. we kicked arse. getting a fourth season pick-up from fox is making me feel generous. so i’m giving my vote to CHUCK. FRINGE MAY DESERVE THE WIN BUT CHUCK NEEDS IT MORE. :)

• em says:

My thoughts exactly (Otherwise, I probably would have voted for Fringe)

• Aiden says:

Agreed. Chuck and Fringe both deserve to be renewed, but Fringe has already gotten then pickup. Chuck’s more in immediate danger, and I just don’t think TV can afford to lose this show!

• Dany says:

Indid Fringe is the best series of all we have seen over the vote, is much better than Chuck, but I think the latter will win, because we already had the good news that Fringe has been renewed for a fourth season, then I think even the fans will support this series Fringe on the road to renewal. I’m sure that if Fox last week we had not confirmed the good news, Fringe would have more than 70% of the vote, being the absolute winner.

• Tharcyla says:

CHUCK FTW!

• Chuck says:

CHUCK FTW!!!

• CHUCK FTW says:

CHUCK FTW!!

2. Kris says:

How can Fringe even be eligible when its already been picked up? If it wins, this whole process will have no relevence. Nikita should have won by default.

• lina says:

I agree! I love both Fringe and Chuck but this contest no longer makes sense. I’ll be saying “thanks” to FOX by watching Fringe next year, but here, I will be voting for Chuck.

• Delirious says:

I agree, partially. I see this result/final matchup as some kind of support for Fringe, although I think the final should’ve been Chuck v Nikita, according to the renewal, too.

Anyway, I like Chuck as well, although Fringe > Chuck. Dunno, it was a tough bracket for me, since I like “crappy?” shows. I mean, of the original bracket, I would’ve gone with Chuck, No Ordinary Family, The Defenders… And my top “please renew these!” ones were in the lower half: Hellcats, Nikita, The Event, V, and Fringe.

• mlj102 says:

Fringe is still eligible because it won fair and square. Had it not been renewed when it was, it would have easily won against Nikita. As it was, Nikita made a decent comeback after the Fringe announcement, but even then, it still wasn’t enough. So to argue that Nikita should have won by default is rather ridiculous because it never would have made it otherwise, so why should it have advanced simply because, by luck, Fringe got an early renewal? Fringe started this competition legitimately and should be able to continue as long as it gets the votes. It is only fair that Fringe continue in the competition.

If this poll really had any sort of influence on the winning show being renewed, then I could see reason for an argument against Fringe being allowed to continue, or for voting for Fringe at all. But this is a competition about supporting your show and, early renewal or not, my support is for Fringe 100%. The question is “Which of these shows has proven the most worthy of another season?” Despite the fact that Fringe now has its next season renewal, I still consider it extremely worthy of that season.

• thatdude says:

This! Fringe is already renewed, Nikita should have won by default or something. Fringe also got renewed near the end of the voting so it’s still unfair because Nikita actually began to close in towards the end as well but stopped once Fringe got renewed.
      Fringe is basically contradicting the whole point of the contest , TO SHOW THE NETWORKS WE WANT OUR SHOWS RENEWED. Now Nikita is at a unfair disadvantage but it’s fine because Fringe is going to get cancelled soon, it just keeps dropping and dropping. Nikita’s ratings are exceptional for CW that’s why it would stick around longer than that crappy Fringe. How are you on a big time network but yet you still can’t crack 2.0 weekly? What a shame.

• Lindsay says:

Friday nights? It even did better on Thursday, despite facing Grey’s and The Office. I don’t watch Nikita, but I hope it gets renewed for the sake of the fans. I can definitely see the CW picking it up.
        Still, it’s not like this poll makes an actual difference in renewal. It’s a very fun poll and I’ve participated from the beginning… it just doesn’t affect the networks.

3. Pat says:

let’s be amicable about this and give it to Chuck. i watch both shows and am extremely happy that FRINGE (deservedly) got renewed already.

• Aimee says:

Let Chuck have it! We all need to support genre television. FRINGE got its Season 4, and I’m elated! I want others to be happy too.

• Bethany says:

I’m with you there. I LOVE Fringe, but it already got picked up (!!!!!!!!!!) so I’m giving the amazing Chuck my vote. Otherwise, it’d be too hard to choose.

4. Storm says:

Well . . . since Fringe has already been renewed . . . I’m going to pick Chuck !! :D

5. Oh this is just cruel and unfair! How can I possibly choose?!?!

6. Marisa says:

Since “Fringe” has already been renewed, I think the answer here, folks, is “Chuck”.

7. Brandan says:

No way FRINGE would have lost this if they didn’t get renewed last week. It’s still the best program on local television.

8. Rich says:

The fight we all knew was coming has finally arrived. It’ll be close, but I predict Chuck will have the edge.

9. Monse says:

This is so not fair. I love both!

10. Duncan Houst says:

Still going with “Fringe”, because I can, and I love the show.

11. Zachary Levi says:

Sorry i have to go with FRINGE!, sorry guys.

12. Laurel says:

Both shows should be renewed.
    I am happy that FOX has already extended Fringe for another Season.

13. Emma says:

It does not matter that Fringe was picked up, I will always choose it.

14. Cameron says:

Ouch. These are my top two favorite shows. But if I had to pick, gotta give a slight edge to Fringe.

15. Amy says:

Since Fringe has already been renewed (YAY), I voted for Chuck!

16. cam says:

chuck FTW!!! :D

17. Ms. Snark says:

YES, Fringe already has its renewal.. gets my vote again anyway.

18. Dan says:

Gee, voting for Fringe over Chuck just seems mean now. I’m a Fringe fan who would hate to see Chuck cancelled and think of the Chuck fans being so sad. Of course, if NBC decided to move Chuck to 9 pm Fridays next season, I would want to see Chuck ground into the dirt. :-)

19. Lucy says:

I love both shows, but as Fringe has already been renewed and am a huge Chuck fan, I have to go with Chuck!

20. Eme says:

FRINGEFRINGEFRINGEFRINGEFRINGEFRINGEFRINGEFRINGEFRINGEFRINGEFRINGEFRINGEFRINGEFRINGE That’s all.

21. nathy says:

hey fringies :) i’m a fringie too, but i’m also a chuckster, so PLEASE could you guys just give this to us? C’MOM! fringe was renewed last week and don’t need this anymore :) PLEASE, LET’S SAVE CHUCK! PLEASEEEEEE :) tnx and much love <3 ♥♥♥

• Chatty says:

Amen! FRINGE has been renewed, now we should be generous and kind and SAVE CHUCK, please! The show deserves a 5th season. Thank you.

22. TheRiffRaff says:

under normal circumstances I’d vote for Fringe but since it’s renewed in Chuck is my other favorite show I’m gonna give my vote to Chuck.

23. Sara says:

Fringe deserves all the votes anyway :p

24. Luiza S. says:

I’ll vote on Chuck because Fringe’s already been reanewed. YAY. But I love both of them..

25. Kate says:

Thank god Fringe was renewed, making my decision to pick Chuck okay (at least in my mind). I would NOT have wanted to pick between these two!

26. Rick says:

Two of my favorite shows, how to choose. I know Fringe was already renewed, but it’s hard to vote against my favorite show. Well I voted for Fringe, but am pulling for Chuck too.

27. Bianca Christine says:

I’m going with CHUCK as Fringe has already been renewed.

But if this were a true battle — I’d be in serious trouble because I ♥ my Chuck something fierce but Fringe is so frackin’ good!!

28. Ashley says:

I’ve been watching Chuck since the beginning, and the first two seasons were pure genius with its mix of action, comedy, and 80′s/90′s pop culture references. But the season 3 Agent Shaw storyline was horrible, and season 4 is only marginally better. The new episodes just feel tired, like they’re running out of ideas in the writers’ room.
    Fringe, on the other hand, only continues to get stronger and stronger. Every time you think they’ve outdone themselves, they find a way to top it and make you even more invested in the storyline. For that reason, even though Chuck would benefit more due to its bubble status, Fringe still gets my vote.

• Aimz says:

This is exactly how I feel. Chuck doesn’t even compare! Chuck is getting worse with age yet Fringe only improves

• sashay says:

That’s how I feel. I’ve recorded many of this season’s shows, and haven’t felt an urgent need to watch most of them. I don’t know what’s wrong – I actually liked Agent Shaw, although I feel the other celeb. guests have been awkwardly airlifted into the show. Not enough Casey either. I would like Chuck to be renewed, mostly because I like the gentre and the witty jokes & feel empathy for the super-passionate fans. It’s not enough though, for me to vote for it over Fringe. Just so happy Fringe was renewed! I hope Chuck is as well, but I’d also like to see improved writing – stuff more up to the caliber of the first two seasons.

29. LoGi says:

For me:
    1, Chuck
    2, Fringe
    Fringe got the 4th season, so it’s an easy decision for me.

30. Brandy says:

Chuck!!

31. Steph says:

Seriously! What the Chuck!? Fringe already got picked up and Chuck definitely deserves to be.

FORRRR CCCCHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKK!!!!!!

32. michelle says:

Chuck should automatically win since fringe has already been picked up for a new season!!

33. Ingmar says:

Uhm…it says that PArenthood won from chuck in the previous round so why is chuck in the finale?

• Michael says:

The 70.4% was the percentage of the previous round’s victory.

• Em says:

If you add the Parenthood and Chuck scores together – you get something like 120%. The brackets are kinda screwy because the scores posted under the pictures for each round are actually the scores from the previous round. So technically, you have to look at the fourth round brackets for the Chuck vs. Parenthood score and you can see that Chuck got 67% of the vote.

34. Nick C says:

FRINGE….. Chucks not a bad show but it is no Fringe.(and i don’t care that it got the green light for another season already) FRINGE!

35. Marie says:

chuck will only win cause Fringe has already won. Kinda takes the win away from them….. Aww

36. Cat says:

It’s like Sophie’s choice!

37. ashley says:

I think a vote for Fringe is a vote to spite Chuck. Come on Fringe Fans! Help us out! You know how we feel and your show was already lucky enough to be renewed!

38. Onno says:

CHUCK FTW I’m sorry I love Fringe but I just need my chuck fix way more then my fringe fix plus I just didn’t like the 2 worlds episodes

39. Palmer says:

In a perfect world neither show would be involved in this poll, most of us watch and love both shows and are loyal viewers till the end.

If Fringe had not been renewed then a 50/50 split would have been the most likly outcome, since they have my vote still goes to chuck.

40. Aimz says:

I am voting for fringe, despite its renewal, as its by far the superior show. It is leaps and bounds ahead in terms of creativity and acting and doesn’t rely on cliches. Chuck has grown tired. I used to really like chuck but just can’t be bothered with it anymore.
    Fringe FTW

41. Liz says:

Fringe would get my vote if it hadn’t already been RENEWED! YAY!

42. Sally says:

I really wonder if Fringe would have won had it not been renewed already.

43. nathy says:

SERIOUSLY FRINGIES! I KNOW FRINGE IS AMAZING, AND I LOVE IT SO MUCH. BUT IF CHUCK HAS ALREADY BEEN RENEWED AND FRINGE IN DANGER, I’M SURE CHUCKSTERS WOULD LET FRINGE WIN! THIS A “RENEW OUR SHOW!!!!” FRINGE JUST GOT RENEWED!!!! WHY YOU GUYS KEEP VOTING FOR FRINGE? PLEASE, HELP US TO SAVE CHUCK AS WELL!!!!!!!!!!! I THINK IT’S MEAN TO VOTE FOR FRINGE NOW, DESPITE QUALITY AND EVERYTHING. IT’S A RENEW OUR SHOW CONTEST, AND FRINGE ALREADY GOT IT! #SAVECHUCK
    SAAAAAVE CHUCK, PLEASE!!!!

44. Meg says:

FRINGE! YAY!

45. majamababe says:

I knew it would come down to these two. My vote is for Fringe.

46. Tiffany says:

So Chuck will when this poll by default, how pathetic … lol

47. Dwigt says:

I’ve been watching both shows since their beginning. “Fringe” has been on a roll since the middle of season two. “Chuck” has been plagued by budget cuts, filler material (all the pseudo feuds between Chuck and Sarah) and a general lack of momentum.

Both shows have evolved and redefined some of their main elements but “Fringe” has improved while “Chuck” has become lazy (count the number of guest stars who starred on action TV shows in the ’80s).

“Chuck” is a show that’s made for guys like me but it’s becoming a shadow of what it once was (up to season three) and I’d prefer it to leave on a high note rather than slowly die with generic stories, bad SFX and a waste of its cast.

• Aimz says:

Well put!

Chuck should be given a good farewell with a 2 hour event or something, rather than to continue to drag it out. Let it end well

• Shania says:

The best Chuck episode was where Sarah and Awesome married, with Casey doing the wedding planning. Sadly, I don’t think Chuck has managed to reach that high since. I had to see it end but I do feel it is on a downward trajectory and that is a shame from my perspective. Better to leave on a high note then to slowly peter out and be canceled without a large fan base anymore.

48. Robert says:

Two of my favorite shows. I like CHUCK but I don’t think there is any doubt that FRINGE is the better show.

Also, I think that CHUCK has done just about all it is going to do. Mind you, I want it renewed, but if it weren’t I don’t think it has much else to do. FRINGE on the other hand, is still just scratching the surface of what it could accomplish.

49. Tasha says:

These are my two fav shows and normaly I’d have a hard time voting bit since Fringe is renewed its Chuck all the way. Come on Fringe fans halp Chuck out!