American Idol: What Should the Top 11 Sing for Elton John Week?

Wednesday night’s episode of American Idol will see the Top 11 dive headlong into the Elton John songbook — alas, those ’80s Night rumors proved to be untrue — and I’d say it’s even-money that somebody’s going to follow in the footsteps of Bo Bice, David Archuleta, Justin Guarini, Jorge Nuñez, Clay Aiken and Jasmine Trias and break out yet another rendition of “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me.” (Really, Cecile Frot-Coutaz ought to secretly deduct 250,000 votes from whichever finalist dares to go there.)

But hey, ever the optimist, I’m going to go ahead and brainstorm some ideas for the Season 10 hopefuls, also carefully avoiding “Cirrrrrrcle of Liiiiiiife” (always and forever owned by Jennifer Hudson — in the Idoleverse, anyway) and “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” (still recovering from the unspeakable horrors Camile Velasco subjected it to back in season 3).

Check out my picks, then head to the comments to suggest your own. (And for all my Idol ridiculata, follow me on Twitter @MichaelSlezakTV.)

Naima Adedapo: “Sacrifice
James Durbin: “I Want Love
Pia Toscano: “Your Song” (check out Elle Goulding’s version for a slightly different arrangement)
Stefano Langone: “Someone Saved My Life Tonight” (Note: No woman should cover this on Idol in the post-La Toya London era)
Haley Reinhart: “Honky Cat
Jacob Lusk: “I’m Still Standing
Lauren Alaina: “The One
Scotty McCreery: “Ballad of a Well-Known Gun
Paul McDonald: “Tiny Dancer
Thia Megia: “Believe
Casey Abrams: “Rocket Man (I Think It’s Going to Be a Long, Long Time)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. lina says:

Scotty could sound really good on Levon. Rocket Man is probably a good choice for Casey, but I would love to hear him sing a really bluesy This Train Don’t Stop There Anymore.

• Amelia says:

A more bluesy song would be great for Casey. I love the song ‘Sacrifice’ and hope that somebody will sing it (I like Sinead O’Connor’s version). It’s on the slower side for Naima, but I’m sure she’ll do it really well if she chooses to.

I know Pia could sing ‘Your Song’ really well, but I’d prefer a guy to sing it :)

• darclyte says:

I’m surprised that they’re doing songs by Elton. He (unnecessarily) ripped the show in Season 3 when just 2 weeks after Elton John night the bottom 3 was all black women. That’s when J-Hud got cut, but Fantasia went on to win the season. It’s pretty obvious that they took votes from each other which is why they all hit the Bottom 3. Also, didn’t he recently rip AI and shows like it?

I’d kinda like to see Casey sing “Madman Across the Water,” or “Levon.” James should sing “Saturday’s All Right For Fighting,” or “Love Lies Bleeding.” Paul should sing “Levon,” or “Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters.”

I’d LOL if Haley or Naima sang “The B!tch is back.”

• darclyte says:

D’oh! I hit submit by accident, and had to reload a few times to get my post to appear.

I’d LOVE to hear Jacob try “Burn Down the Mission.” I think he could make it work.

Oh, and for those of you unfamiliar with older stuff that aren’t as big of “hits,” try to give a listen to “Burn Down the Mission,” “Madman Across the Water,” and “Mona Lisas and Mad Hatters.” You’ll thank me later.

• darcy's evil twin says:

Jacob should sing “The Bitch is Back”.

• Emma says:

I love Sacrafice too. I think it would be better for Paul. James should do Tiny Dancer.

• Peter says:

Here are my picks:

Casey – Your Song
        Jacob – Circle of Life
        James – Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting
        Paul – Rocket Man
        Scotty – Turn the Lights Out When You Leave
        Stafano – Crocodile Rock

Haley – Honky Cat
        Lauren – Don’t Go Breaking My Heart
        Naima – Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word
        Pia – Someone Saved My Life Tonight
        Thia – Written In the Stars

• leo says:

Big love for the shout out to Ellie Goulding’s version of “Your Song”, because I’ve loved that girl’s music from the start.
      Now, check out Kate Bush’s version of “Rocket Man” for a different arrangement of that tune.
      It’s brilliant and I think Naima could knock it out of the park.

• KC says:

I would love to see paul or james sing Fuel’s version of Daniel. I think it’s one ofthe best covers of any song ever.

• M says:

You literally took the words out of my mouth. I’d die (not literally) if someone sang that version of ‘Daniel.’ I actually posted a comment about it the other day. And Paul or James did come to mind. If only…
        But seriously. I totally agree about the Fuel cover of ‘Daniel.’ I’m glad someone else thinks so highly of it.

• JenD says:

oooh. i really like Levon for Scotty. that’s a great idea.

• hyde says:

Naima Adedapo:
      James Durbin: “Saturday’s Night’s Allright for Fightin”
      Pia Toscano: “The One”
      Stefano Langone: “Sacrifice”
      Haley Reinhart: “Blue Eyes”
      Jacob Lusk: “Take Me to the Pilot”
      Lauren Alaina: “Harmony”
      Scotty McCreery: “Burn Down the Mission”
      Paul McDonald: “Tiny Dancer”
      Thia Megia: “Daniel”
      Casey Abrams: “Madman Across the Water”

2. abc123 says:

Unfortunately, I don’t know a lot of EJ songs so I can’t really comment on the song choices. I think that a lot of the contestants are going to have that same problem but hopefully they’ll deal with it a little better than *cough*Stefano*cough* last week.

Is that the order they’ll be appearing in?

3. Jon says:

YES! You hit the nail on the head for Pia, Slezak! The moment I read Elton John songs were the theme, “Your Song” screamed Pia’s name. Let’s hope she delivers the goods on performance night.

4. Will says:

God, that would be what Pia sings. Girl has no imagination.

If Thia Megia DOESN’T sing The Circle of Life, I will be shocked.

• Jill says:

This is a list of what Michael Slezak thinks they SHOULD sing, not necessarily what they will sing

• Ablo says:

Will — I think (I’m afraid) you’re right.

• SDTIM says:

Pia can’t do any more ballads! LOL I mean, really, girl needs to mix it up. How about something upbeat, like “The Bitch is Back”? That would rock!

• Katillac says:

Now THAT would be awesome!!!

• Sam says:

absolutely agree. Pia has a phenomenal voice but her ballading is getting boring and the judges have stated they want her to bring it up a notch. And why is Stefano still in the contest. That boy is NEVER Gonna open his eyes when he sings!

5. Lee says:

I’d love to hear Casey slow it down an bit and sing Empty Garden (Hey Hey Johnny)…would be perfect for him.

6. sunny says:

great picks Michael!!!

I’d love to see Durbin do Pinball Wizard and someone maybe Stefano do This Train Don’t Stop Here Anymore.

• M says:

Pinball Wizard could actually be a good song for Durbin, but it’s a song by The Who, later performed by Elton, so I don’t think it would qualify as part of his songbook…

• Eolra says:

Yes – I was thinking it would be nice to hear someone do “This Train Don’t Stop”, not sure on Stefano though, I feel like it needs someone with a bit of an old soul. Maybe Paul or Naima….?

• duranmom says:

After Stefano didn’t know “Hello” last week (seriously, HOW is that possible?????) I am holding my breath to see if he even knows who Elton John is. I was loving Stefano up until last week. Now he, like Casey, has to earn it again.

7. sunny says:

Durbin- Pinball Wizard

8. Rock Golf says:

Naima Adedapo: “Circle of Life”
    James Durbin: “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road”
    Pia Toscano: “Candle In the Wind”
    Stefano Langone: “Someone Saved My Life Tonight”
    Haley Reinhart: “Social Disease” (from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road)
    Jacob Lusk: “Border Song”
    Lauren Alaina: “Daniel”
    Scotty McCreery: “Country Comfort”
    Paul McDonald: “Crocodile Rock”
    Thia Megia: “Mama Can’t Buy You Love”
    Casey Abrams: “Levon”

• Robin says:

Similar song choices:
      Niama-Empty Garden
      James-Bennie and the Jets
      Pia-Sorry seems to be the hardest word
      Stephano-Crocodile Rock
      Haley-Philadelphia Freedom or Take me to the Pilot
      Jacob-Border Song
      Lauren-Momma cant buy you love
      Scotty-Country comfort
      Paul-Little Jeannie
      Thia-Your Song
      Casey-Madman across the water

• eflooty says:

Border song…. “Holy Moses… I have been removed…” Not a good line for Jacob…. We don’t want any lyrics that hint at him being “removed” from American Idol… Beautiful song though…. Better choice for Scotty…..

9. Momma bear says:

Is there a reason you chose some of the mist boring songs from the EJ catalog???? I am hoping for more interesting choices from the idols. But I doubt we will get them.

• Delon says:

I don’t understand couple of things. Elton regularly slams these singing competitions yet they had an EJ night last year on both The X Factor UK and The X Factor Australia, and now another EJ themed night(6th overall?)on AI. What gives? The other thing is his songs are difficult to sing and always expose a contestant’s vocal shortcomings. Why insist on featuring his songbook on singing shows year after year?!

• Katillac says:

The only time I remember Elton slamming AI was in Season 3 when he said the VOTERS in America were racist because the bottom 3 were black. I thought that was SO ridiculous at the time, but I still love Elton. If he’s taken other shots at AI, I’ve not heard about them.

10. Stacey says:

I want Lauren to sing, “The Bitch is Back” or “Sorry Seems the Hardest World to Say”. She probably won’t. But given her struggles with people who don’t like her.. Maybe if she sang, “Sorry,” she could dedicate it to her non fans. And if she wants to be sassy, not caring a damn what people think. She should sing, “The Bitch is Back” LOL.

Truly though, I have no idea what people will sing. I could see Jacob doing Candle in the Wind. Something he can gospel up. Thia will probably do the Lion King song LOL. Since people didn’t take her attempt to do uptempo last week, and she might dive back to the Disney catalogue LOL.

• Stacey says:

Oops…I meant, “Sorry Seems the Hardest Word”

• Babblonia says:

Yes, because Lauren needs to stop singing about love and relationships because she OBVIOUSLY IS TOO YOUNG to have a clue. It sounds wrong.

• Snsetblaze says:

I’m guessing The Bitch is Back won’t be on the list of choices because it would be hard to edit Bitch constantly — remember when they heavily edited Alanis Morrisette’s song last year so that the lyrics did not make sense. I’m sure there have been other instances.

11. Jake D says:

Casey Abrams. Levon.

‘Nuff said.

And I can already imagine the carnage that will be occurring this week. Scotty? Paul? Thia? Ahhhhh

12. Amy says:

Great pics. Paul should definitely do Tiny Dancer, but I’d like to see what Casey could do with My Fathers Gun.

• RTW says:

I’m having so much fun looking up these recommendations on YouTube because I really don’t know EJ’s songs too well, but after hearing My Father’s Gun, I agree with you 110% that Casey would OWN THE NIGHT if he sang this in a bluesy manner.

13. MSD says:

One of my favorite pieces of Idol trivia…. that FOUR male runner-up contestants have sung “Don’t Let The Sun Go Down On Me” (Justin, Clay, Bo, Archuleta). Though Clay’s is the most acclaimed, I LOVED Bo’s. My guess is that Stefano would be likely candidate for it this year.

I think Haley just needs to stand and sing this week. I think Your Song or even Candle in the Wind could be good for her.

Pia would do great on an EJ ballad– too bad she didn’t sneak in a up-tempo Motown last week so she could freely do a ballad this week. I wouldn’t mind see her cutting lose with Crocodile Rock. It’s wedding band-y…just like her!

Pick your Lion King song, Thia. And James–Saturday Night’s Alright for Fighting seems like a fit.

14. Jill says:

In the name of all things Elton, AI Please retire: “Circle of Life”, “Can you feel the love tonight?”, “Don’t let the sun go down” and “Yellow Brick Road”

And here’s a question. Does someone like Elton John(or any artist with a large catalog) have veto power over certain songs they will not give the ok to be sung?

15. cjinsd says:

I’m tried of the same songs being recycled over and over and over again. I hope all songs chosen are pre-1975 when Elton was at his best and songs were co-written by Bernie Taupin. There were so many awesome songs back then even if they weren’t Top 40. I hate most everything he did after that era. It’s like he sold out for Pop crap money.

16. Kirstin says:

I suppose it is too much to ask for them to break out some lesser knows songs such as My Father’s Guns. Too bad.

17. evs says:

I can hardly wait for Tiny Dancer. I adore that song. As for the rest, I’m betting on someone singing Sorry seems to be the hardest word in a predictable way

18. agrimesy says:

When it was rumored that it might Elton John week, I immediately heard Paul singing Benny and the Jets. I don’t know why. He could handle it very gently with “the weird and the wonderful” and just kill it, I think. It’s such a strong piano tune though. I dunno.

How on earth do you pick that lazy pop tripe “I’m Still Standin” for Jacob!? Yuck . . . my least favorite Elton song that does not lend itself well to cover for anyone.

• dj says:

I think that either Paul or James could do this song in different ways, and I’d probably love both of them. Apparently he was “digging” the piano this week, so he may play and sing that.

19. Jules says:

If Pia does “Your Song” I will punch an infant in the face. I don’t want her going anywhere near that song.

20. Linda says:

Durbin: “Love Lies Bleeding”

• MSD says:

Ahhh- Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding is probably one of my favorite songs EVER. I would probably pass out if someone tried their hand out at Love Lives Bleeding….James COULD be good on it- you’re right!

21. Steph says:

I don’t even like Casey, but I think he could really redeem himself if he did the Jeff Buckley stripped down version of We All Fall In Love Sometimes. He could also bust out the bass on this one.

22. Linda says:

How comes no one’s suggesting “Island Girl” for Scotty? I’d pay to see that.

23. Roo says:

I’d love to see Paul tackle Mona Lisas & Mad Hatters. For Casey, I like Slezak’s choice as well as Take Me to the Pilot or Madman Across the Water. Think James could swing getting clearance for Pinball Wizard?

24. mzbet says:

If they can sing a song that Elton John himself covered, then I think Pia could do “Lucy In The Sky”. It’s kind of a mix of ballad with a jazzy chorus. Might work? Or James could probably do a really good version.

25. Tahoe Mike says:

Why would you want to have Haley sing Honky Cat? It is guaranteed to sound shouty and terrible when cut short for idol???

Casey: Someone Saved My Life (last week!)

26. Mellie says:

Yes! Please please please let someone (especially someone named Paul or James) do I Want Love.

I’d like to see someone do Your Song. And I’d say Bennie and Jets could be an awesome Paul song.

27. Sean D says:

“Amoreena” for Casey. It would be perfect! And I’d give “Rocket Man” to Paul.

I like the idea of Stefano on “Someone Saved My Life Tonight,” and I agree with you that no woman should sing it. That was one of LaToya’s shining moments.

28. Lior says:

I really like the suggestions for Stefano, Lauren and Paul. I think they really suit their personalities as singers.
    As for the others… not so sure. It’s almost like you want Jacob and Thia to be voted off this week :) Not so sure about Haley either, but it could work.

29. Danielle Notaro says:

James Durbin- Levon

Jacob- Take Me To The Pilot

Stefano- Bennie & The Jets

Paul- Honky Cat

Pia- Border Song

Thia- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Scotty- Rocket Man

Casey- Madman Across The Water

Lauren – Mona Lisa’s And Mad Hatters

Haley- Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word

Naima- Burn Down The Mission

30. Titina says:

I actually would love Casey to do “Tiny Dancer” that could give him a moment there.
    One thing is for sure he definitely should do a ballad this week and go back to showcase his smooth jazzy vocals!
    Casey I am pulling for you to make a comeback I hope you chose wisely! Remember JLo´s advice! She was spot on!
    We all believe in you!

31. Mary says:

It’s not exactly something that fits American Idol, but the Civil War nerd in me really, really wants someone to sing “Gone to Shiloh.” I think it’s very haunting–though that usually means boring to everyone else.

32. JC says:

James Durbin should do Danny Bailey.

33. sunny-d says:

Billy Bones and the White Bird!! or island girl :)

34. Alina says:

Yesss, Tiny Dancer is perfection for Paul (though it might suit Scotty as well)… :runs away to watch the scene in Almost Famous to do a sing along :D:

35. OliversMom says:

Thia: Can You Feel The Love Tonight
    Jacob: Candle In The Wind
    Paul: Levon
    James: Benny and the Jets (because he likes to scream and there’s some screaming in there, I think.)
    Stefano (needs an upbeat song)a
    Pia: Candle In The Wind
    Naima: Hakuna Matata
    Scotty: Daniel or Your Song
    Casey: Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting
    Lauren: Honky Cat
    Haily: The Bitch Is Back. I don’t know what she’s going to sing. Can’t even guess.

Elton John is so stale. Both person and music.

Group song will be Don’t Go Breaking My Heart. THAT and Your Song…only two songs I’ve ever liked from Elton. Haven’t liked him since he called Americans bigots the time LaToya, Fantasia and Jhud were in B3, Season 3.

36. Betsy says:

I hope they go for some of the lesser known songs, as well. Last year, Casey’s blues version of John Lennon’s “Jealous Guy” was the best performance on Beatles night (and that he had all season) and I’d never heard it before he did it. So much more enjoyable than a karaoke cover of a song we’ve all heard done a million times.

37. Lily says:

Naima Adedapo: should choose “Candle in the Wind” but will choose “Crocodile Rock” and do a dance break
    James Durbin: “Saturday Night’s All Right for Fighting”
    Pia Toscano: “Candle in the Wind”
    Stefano Langone: “Levon” or “Daniel”
    Haley Reinhart: should sing “Honky Cat” will sing “I Guess That’s Why They Call in the Blues”
    Jacob Lusk: “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down on Me”
    Lauren Alaina: “Sad Songs Say So Much”
    Scotty McCreery: “Your Song”
    Paul McDonald: “Little Jeannie”
    Thia Megia: “Circle of Life”
    Casey Abrams: Will ask for “The Bitch is Back” but will be quashed by producers and sing “Rocket Man“ instead

I’d be happy if someone picked “Philadelphia Freedom.” but seems doubtful.

38. MSD says:

I’ve been jamming out to Elton all evening in excited anticipation…

My most recent song choice I can’t get out of my head is Haley doing “Bennie and the Jets”…she really could slur and growl and “drunk dance” her way through that. “B-b-b-Bennie and the Jetssss!”

39. Lilo says:

I really would love one of the guys with a strong voice (Stefano, James or Jacob preferably)to sing Believe. It is the perfect AI song! Dramatic with lots of opportunities to showcase the vocals and it also has a great message. I can’t believe it’s not been sung on the show before.

40. SH says:

Not a huge Jacob fan but I think “Take Me to the Pilot” would be perfect for him — could put his gospel spin on it.

41. M says:

A couple of people have mentioned ‘Daniel’ as choices for different contestants and I’d be THRILLED if someone sang it. I almost don’t care who, as long as someone does. It’s one of, if not my favorite Elton song. The version Fuel did is also amongst my favorites.
    I think Scotty could do a fine job with it. It could lend itself to his voice.
    If Stefano sang it, I’d be giddy, since he is currently one of my favorites (for now at least) though perhaps there’d be a better song choice for him.
    Paul singing ‘Daniel’. Probably not going to happen, but I’m still hoping.
    Anyway, this was been my ‘Daniel’ rant. I just really hope SOMEONE picks it.

42. Lemon says:

Scotty: Country Comfort or Dixie Lily (safe) Bad Side of the Moon (risky)

Pia: We All Fall in Love Sometimes

James: Philadelphia Freedom or Pinball Wizard

Casey: Susie (Dramas)

Stefano: Rocket Man

Lauren: Tonight (She needs a sensitive ballad)

Thia: Written in the Stars (from Aida)

Naima: Something About The way You Look Tonight

Haley: One More Arrow

Jacob: The Border Song

Paul: Levon

43. Davey says:

I wonder how many songs these 11 have to choose from? So far their choices have been dismal?

I would like to hear something from Aida or Billy Elliot.

44. Jason S says:

You know Pia’s going to do Candle In The Wind and bore us all except Slezak who will love it!

45. Scorpiosue1102 says:

Here’s what I’d love to see the Idols sing:

Scotty: Ballad of a Well-Known Gun
    Paul: Burn Down the Mission
    Lauren: Blue Eyes
    Jacob: Take Me to the Pilot
    Stefano: Empty Garden
    James: Bennie and the Jets
    Casey: Levon
    Thia: Circle of Life….because I want her to go home
    Naima: Tiny Dancer
    Pia: Your Song, but since she may feel she has to do an uptempo song go bold with Crocodile Rock
    Haley: I’m Still Standing

• MSD says:

I don’t think Crocodile Rock would be all that awful of a choice for Pia…I can hear it sung by a female in my head..its a fun song- and Lord knows she needs to show her “fun” side and not take herself so seriously.

• P4Principle says:

I just don’t think Pia will do Crocodile Rock. I don’t get the impression she is that bold. Maybe, but if so, it’s just not registering with me. Same with Stefano. He needs to interpret a song well and needs one more uptempo. I’m glad I’m not invested this year, but Paul and Stefano are the ones I like best. I also don’t like too many EJ songs other than Don’t Go Breaking My Heart and Daniel, so I’m hoping that either one of them sings either of those. But I do agree with whoever suggested Philadelphia Freedom for Paul and I wouldn’t mind hearing Levon from Stefano. Taylor Hicks did a great Levon during Season 6. Not sure if Stefano can touch that.

46. Kevin C. says:

Stefano: “Your Song”, with him breaking out the piano. He needs to show he can connect with a song, and the piano may help him rein in his worst instincts like it did Paul.

Casey: “Candle in the Wind”. Desperate times call for desperate measures. If he can nail this with a sensitive performance he’d be right back in it and nobody would be able to call him “just a growler” anymore.

47. Brandon says:

Pia- I’m Still Standing (has been told by the judges to go uptempo)
    Paul- Daniel (would like to see this slowed down and sung tenderly)
    Casey- Rocket Man
    James- Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting
    Stefano- Your Song
    Jacob- Don’t Let the Sun Go Down On Me
    Lauren- Honky Cat
    Haley- Levon
    Thia- Sad Songs (Say so much)(has also been told to go uptempo by the judges)
    Naima- Take Me To The Pilot
    Scotty- Country Comfort

• Ablo says:

Let’s switch Thia to “Saturday Night’s . . .” — that would be worth the price of admission.

I truly hope Stefano doesn’t sing “Your Song,” though.

• Ablo says:

And also — you know, Elton John is an interesting performer. Quite a few of his songs (to me) are kind of meh. BUT, he has a lot of songs that are top of the line.

The question is — which will our young (not particularly musically savvy) contestants) pick? The sappy ones, or the bluesy, full of life ones? I have my fears, but I hold on to my hope.

One thing – the good Elton John songs are very difficult to sing — try one if you doubt it. Will that undo some singers?

• Linda says:

If Paul touches “Daniel” may the gods send mildew to the seams of his horrible Nudie suit.

• M says:

Literally LOL’ed at your comment. Very nice. I actually wouldn’t mind hearing him sing ‘Daniel’ but I still respect your opinion. I’m also still giggling. But that may be my immature side coming through.

• Media Ho says:

LOL — I am SO glad that someone else thought “Nudie suit” when Paul strutted out in that thing. Nudie’s career did not die with Elvis!

48. mgl says:

It may be an odd choice, but I kind of want to hear James do Tiny Dancer. I think it’d fit his higher notes.

49. Pat T says:

I’d love to see one of them sing “I’m Going to be a Teenage Idol”

Casey needs to show off his piano playing skills with “Bennie and the Jets”.

Scotty will have it easy as lots of Elton’s older work is easily countrified. I vote for “The Captain and The Kid”.

James can sing “Madman Across The Water”

50. Amber says:

I would like to see Lauren sing “Don’t Let the Sun Go Down On Me” or “I don’t wanna go on with you like that” or “Written in the Stars”