Exclusive

First Look: Happy Endings Trailer Touts Elisha Cuthbert On a Trampoline, Lost Tongue Rings

ABC wants to give you a happy ending after a Wednesday night line-up loaded with laughs. The fittingly titled Happy Endings may be just the show to do it, and we’ve got a first look at the new comedy’s full-length trailer.

Save the Dates: ABC Announces Season Finales

Sneak-peeking April 13 after Modern Family (before moving to its regular Wednesdays-at-10 slot), Happy Endings stars Zachary Knighton (FlashForward) and Elisa Cuthbert (24) as Dave and Alex, would-be-marrieds that fail to seal the deal when the bride jilts the groom at the altar. Once Alex comes slinking back, it sets the stage for a new dynamic amongst her, Dave and their friends that is best summed up as awkward.

Rounding out said ensemble of friends and fam are Eliza Coupe (Scrubs) and Damon Wayans Jr. (The Underground) as Dave’s sister, Jane, and her husband, Brad; Casey Wilson (Saturday Night Live) as singleton Penny; and Adam Pally as Max, who is gay.

Cougar Town Boss Flattered, Not Offended, By Community Tribute: ‘No One’s Taking Digs at Us’

Watch the trailer, then read on for more:

Loading video...

So, can Happy Endings succeed where several other midseason comedies about a bunch of buds at assorted stages in life have… er, struggled? I had a very good feeling about this pilot when I first watched it over the summer, and frankly questioned ABC’s decision to put a pin in it for this long. The cast is strong, the situations sufficiently comic, the pace quick, and there’s a genuineness to the camaraderie. I also applaud ABC’s decision to not follow up Off The Map (which like Mr. Sunshine finales April 6) with another drama, but instead find a third Wednesday comedy block in Happy Endings and Modern Family “Fan Favorites” (aka select repeats).

Do you think you will give this new ABC comedy a look?

1. Mikaylah says:

This actually looks pretty funny, and I LOVE Eliza Coupe from Scrubs. I’ll definitely watch it. :)

2. Scott says:

Yay! Finally something to watch at 10pm on Wednesdays!

BTW, when are we getting a TVLine Iphone App?????

3. George says:

Hmmm…I hadn’t really paid all that much attention to the commercials for this show, but after watching the trailer it does look pretty funny! I’ll give it a shot :)

4. Simon Jester says:

Meh. If the trailer — the funniest bits edited together — doesn’t even make me chuckle, I don’t hold out much hope for the rest of it.

5. Mike says:

The last 15 seconds made me laugh twice, the previous 125 nothing. Looks pretty dumb.

6. bob says:

this doesn’t look terrible, surprisingly. hopefully its better than mr. sunshine, which I find absolutely dreadful. when is cougar town, back?!?!?!? i miss the cul de sac crew and big carl.

7. Michael Sacal says:

I’m reminded of an episode of Parker Lewis Can’t Loose in which “Ferris Bueller” and “Cameron” from the TV version of the movie are sitting in an auditorium looking at Parker and his friends on stage and Ferris tells Cameron “so that’s how you do it”.

This trailer must make the cast of Mad Love feel like Ferris and Cameron did.

8. lorraine says:

Already laughing. I’m gonna check it out

9. Matt says:

Looks like a hybrid of “Traffic Light” and “Perfect Couples” — neither of which are doing too well. I am not expecting much from this one, either.

10. Joe B. says:

I’ve seen the first four and it is really quite good. I’m already invested in the characters. It’s a great match for a couple of other ABC comedies, too, if they’re thinking of spinning off another night of comedy. Really quick and smart and some very big laughs. I highly recommend.

11. Bee says:

some jokes were better than others, but even then, surprised by how funny the good ones were. will be checking it out.

12. Melle says:

I’ve heard good things about this show for a while now. On the surface it might look like anohter “Friends”-ish show, but from what I’ve read from people who’ve seen some episodes the tone of the show is closer to smarter shows like Scrubs, Community and Modern Family. Another sign of quality, Happy Endings’ showrunners/EP are Joe & Anthony Russo, the same guys who directed a majority of Arrested Development and Community. They directed the pilot episode of Happy Endings as well as a few others I believe.

13. Myrna Lebron says:

This show looks totally insane. Laughing already. Will check it out.

14. Steph says:

I was a part of a focus group that viewed an episode of Happy Endings and it is a solid show… definitely something I would watch religiously. Casey Wilson is suprisingly not annoying and the guy who plays Max is hilarious.

15. Jon says:

It looks a lot better than the absolutely terrible Traffic Light or that Sarah Chalke comedy whose name I can’t remember. And not as annoying as Perfect Couples, although that one was starting to gel toward the end.

16. Jenny says:

Yep, I’d definitely watch this. Just going by the trailer it looks good.

17. Adriaan says:

This looks awesome! How many episodes were ordered, does anyone know?

18. Dirk says:

“Oh, boo, you can’t get a cab. I can’t get married OR into Heaven.” — I’m already loving this show. Here’s hoping it catches some ratings love!

19. Brock says:

I’m gonna watch it. Looks like it has a great cast and HUMOUR! :)

I only wish NBC would balls up and schedule LOVE BITES!

20. Tabitha says:

This looks HILARIOUS! Can’t wait to have another funny show on the block!

21. Dan says:

I’m gonna watch it ( ok well Tivo it). It looks like it will be hysterical.

22. David I says:

Looks very funny. Definitely going to watch.

23. Abby says:

Can’t WAIT!!! This is DEFINITELY a show I will LOVE! Damon Wayans and Eliza Coupe- it doesn’t get any better than them!!! Might need to get some Depends before I watch the show because they are hilarious!

24. Pat Duke says:

When the Hitler credit card came out at the bar I laughed out loud, they had me, nice quick pace, it feels Modern Family Fresh! We are on board for the ride! Who writes this show?

25. Kathy says:

I thought the first trailers were cute, but this was hilarious and I LOVE these characters already and haven’t even seen the show yet! FINALLY a show I am really looking forward to. Go Bears!

26. fgons says:

Why not give it a try. Hope it becomes an updated version of Friends. It looks like it has potential.

27. Steppy says:

Looks like Friends smashed with How/Mother and a gay guy thrown in for good measure. Nothing new. I hope Sunshine is back soon.