First Look: Happy Endings Trailer Touts Elisha Cuthbert On a Trampoline, Lost Tongue Rings

ABC wants to give you a happy ending after a Wednesday night line-up loaded with laughs. The fittingly titled Happy Endings may be just the show to do it, and we’ve got a first look at the new comedy’s full-length trailer.

Save the Dates: ABC Announces Season Finales

Sneak-peeking April 13 after Modern Family (before moving to its regular Wednesdays-at-10 slot), Happy Endings stars Zachary Knighton (FlashForward) and Elisa Cuthbert (24) as Dave and Alex, would-be-marrieds that fail to seal the deal when the bride jilts the groom at the altar. Once Alex comes slinking back, it sets the stage for a new dynamic amongst her, Dave and their friends that is best summed up as awkward.

Rounding out said ensemble of friends and fam are Eliza Coupe (Scrubs) and Damon Wayans Jr. (The Underground) as Dave’s sister, Jane, and her husband, Brad; Casey Wilson (Saturday Night Live) as singleton Penny; and Adam Pally as Max, who is gay.

Cougar Town Boss Flattered, Not Offended, By Community Tribute: ‘No One’s Taking Digs at Us’

Watch the trailer, then read on for more:

Loading video...

So, can Happy Endings succeed where several other midseason comedies about a bunch of buds at assorted stages in life have… er, struggled? I had a very good feeling about this pilot when I first watched it over the summer, and frankly questioned ABC’s decision to put a pin in it for this long. The cast is strong, the situations sufficiently comic, the pace quick, and there’s a genuineness to the camaraderie. I also applaud ABC’s decision to not follow up Off The Map (which like Mr. Sunshine finales April 6) with another drama, but instead find a third Wednesday comedy block in Happy Endings and Modern Family “Fan Favorites” (aka select repeats).

Do you think you will give this new ABC comedy a look?

Comments (30)

• This actually looks pretty funny, and I LOVE Eliza Coupe from Scrubs. I’ll definitely watch it. :)

Comment by Mikaylah – March 27, 2011 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Finally something to watch at 10pm on Wednesdays!

BTW, when are we getting a TVLine Iphone App?????

Comment by Scott – March 27, 2011 03:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmm…I hadn’t really paid all that much attention to the commercials for this show, but after watching the trailer it does look pretty funny! I’ll give it a shot :)

Comment by George – March 27, 2011 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh. If the trailer — the funniest bits edited together — doesn’t even make me chuckle, I don’t hold out much hope for the rest of it.

Comment by Simon Jester – March 27, 2011 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The last 15 seconds made me laugh twice, the previous 125 nothing. Looks pretty dumb.

Comment by Mike – March 27, 2011 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • this doesn’t look terrible, surprisingly. hopefully its better than mr. sunshine, which I find absolutely dreadful. when is cougar town, back?!?!?!? i miss the cul de sac crew and big carl.

Comment by bob – March 27, 2011 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m reminded of an episode of Parker Lewis Can’t Loose in which “Ferris Bueller” and “Cameron” from the TV version of the movie are sitting in an auditorium looking at Parker and his friends on stage and Ferris tells Cameron “so that’s how you do it”.

This trailer must make the cast of Mad Love feel like Ferris and Cameron did.

Comment by Michael Sacal – March 27, 2011 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Already laughing. I’m gonna check it out

Comment by lorraine – March 27, 2011 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like a hybrid of “Traffic Light” and “Perfect Couples” — neither of which are doing too well. I am not expecting much from this one, either.

Comment by Matt – March 27, 2011 04:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Duh, I meant Perfect Couples.

Comment by Michael Sacal – March 27, 2011 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve seen the first four and it is really quite good. I’m already invested in the characters. It’s a great match for a couple of other ABC comedies, too, if they’re thinking of spinning off another night of comedy. Really quick and smart and some very big laughs. I highly recommend.

Comment by Joe B. – March 27, 2011 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • some jokes were better than others, but even then, surprised by how funny the good ones were. will be checking it out.

Comment by Bee – March 27, 2011 06:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve heard good things about this show for a while now. On the surface it might look like anohter “Friends”-ish show, but from what I’ve read from people who’ve seen some episodes the tone of the show is closer to smarter shows like Scrubs, Community and Modern Family. Another sign of quality, Happy Endings’ showrunners/EP are Joe & Anthony Russo, the same guys who directed a majority of Arrested Development and Community. They directed the pilot episode of Happy Endings as well as a few others I believe.

Comment by Melle – March 27, 2011 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show looks totally insane. Laughing already. Will check it out.

Comment by Myrna Lebron – March 27, 2011 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was a part of a focus group that viewed an episode of Happy Endings and it is a solid show… definitely something I would watch religiously. Casey Wilson is suprisingly not annoying and the guy who plays Max is hilarious.

Comment by Steph – March 27, 2011 06:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It looks a lot better than the absolutely terrible Traffic Light or that Sarah Chalke comedy whose name I can’t remember. And not as annoying as Perfect Couples, although that one was starting to gel toward the end.

Comment by Jon – March 27, 2011 08:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yep, I’d definitely watch this. Just going by the trailer it looks good.

Comment by Jenny – March 27, 2011 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This looks awesome! How many episodes were ordered, does anyone know?

Comment by Adriaan – March 27, 2011 10:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • @Adriaan

According to thefutoncritic 13 episodes.

Comment by Jenny – March 27, 2011 10:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • 13 were ordered, and we’ll get at least seven this spring (the finale is penciled in for May 18).

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich, Editor-at-Large TVLine.com – March 28, 2011 05:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Oh, boo, you can’t get a cab. I can’t get married OR into Heaven.” — I’m already loving this show. Here’s hoping it catches some ratings love!

Comment by Dirk – March 27, 2011 11:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m gonna watch it. Looks like it has a great cast and HUMOUR! :)

I only wish NBC would balls up and schedule LOVE BITES!

Comment by Brock – March 28, 2011 03:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This looks HILARIOUS! Can’t wait to have another funny show on the block!

Comment by Tabitha – March 28, 2011 08:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m gonna watch it ( ok well Tivo it). It looks like it will be hysterical.

Comment by Dan – March 28, 2011 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks very funny. Definitely going to watch.

Comment by David I – March 29, 2011 02:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t WAIT!!! This is DEFINITELY a show I will LOVE! Damon Wayans and Eliza Coupe- it doesn’t get any better than them!!! Might need to get some Depends before I watch the show because they are hilarious!

Comment by Abby – March 29, 2011 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • When the Hitler credit card came out at the bar I laughed out loud, they had me, nice quick pace, it feels Modern Family Fresh! We are on board for the ride! Who writes this show?

Comment by Pat Duke – March 29, 2011 09:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought the first trailers were cute, but this was hilarious and I LOVE these characters already and haven’t even seen the show yet! FINALLY a show I am really looking forward to. Go Bears!

Comment by Kathy – March 29, 2011 10:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why not give it a try. Hope it becomes an updated version of Friends. It looks like it has potential.

Comment by fgons – April 3, 2011 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like Friends smashed with How/Mother and a gay guy thrown in for good measure. Nothing new. I hope Sunshine is back soon.

Comment by Steppy – April 14, 2011 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post