The Office First Look: Meet the New Boss!

Get More: First Look, News, Video

Following Thursday’s hilarious and swoon-worthy proposal-themed episode of The Office, viewers were treated to a first look at Will Ferrell’s April 14 debut as the new Big Cheese in Scranton.

That promo is now embedded below for your viewing pleasure. One important disclaimer: Although the voiceover introduces Ferrell as Michael Scott’s successor, keep in mind that the funny guy is only slated to stick around for four episodes — presumably to ease the transition between Colorado-bound Michael and his real (and still top-secret) heir apparent.

Ask Ausiello: Major Spoilers on Grey’s Anatomy, Fringe, Smallville, House and More!

Enjoy! And when you’re done, scroll down and critique Michael’s question-popping prowess.

Comments (148)

• I think Michael’s replacement (can never be a real replacement ) should be Steven Colbert.

Comment by Bobm – March 25, 2011 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They should have just ended the series with Michael leaving with Holly, Dwight and Angela getting back together, Pam & Jim doing something romantic,and at the very last minute have Ricky Gervais walk in and say he is the new replacement.

Done. Series finale.

Comment by Sterling – March 25, 2011 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m praying it’s Ricky Gervais. The UK Office was the superior show without a doubt, and the US version has degenerated into a soapie since about series 4. The proposal episode is a perfect example. Ricky might just save it.

Then again – part of the reason the UK show was so much better was they knew when to stop. Michael’s departure would be a great time to stop, but it’s probably too late for that now – they really should have stopped it about 4 seasons ago.

Comment by Greg W – March 25, 2011 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t see this week’s episode, but I am bummed about Steve leaving. Maybe he isn’t really….

Comment by callie – March 25, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My money’s on kathy Bates coming back full time if her new show bombs-

Comment by Me – March 25, 2011 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Get David Brent to be the new boss!!
    (RICKY GERVAIS)

Comment by adrian – March 25, 2011 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Its just tv folks. I enjoy The Office but have a life and find some things to be more important than entertainment

Comment by pat – March 25, 2011 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So much of a life that you feel the need to comment about it, huh? “LOOK AT ME I HAVE A LIFE! REALLY! I DO! I SWEAR! NEVER MIND THAT I’M PICKING ON PEOPLE WHO LOVE SOMETHING ON A MESSAGE BOARD, I HAVE A LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE!”

Sure ya do.

Comment by Ruby – March 25, 2011 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If andy samburg was his assistent that wud be amazing!!!

Comment by Kasi firefly – March 25, 2011 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved it. 99%. The only 1% is that for such an important thing to happen, it could have been a two episode thing. It kinda seemed a little bit too rushed to finish something so important. Thats what she said.

Comment by cenzi – March 25, 2011 02:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woohoo!!! The office will be 10x funnier now with Will Ferrell in it :) deff worth watching

Comment by Angelica Garcia – March 25, 2011 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s going to be Daniel Tosh who is the replacement. A very reliable source accidentally released this info.

Comment by Rach – March 25, 2011 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Words cannot express how much joy that would bring me, but I’m pretty sure you’re joking. :(

Comment by Ruby – March 25, 2011 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As an avid watcher (The Office is the ONLY show I watch besides the news and weather)I think Will F will do a decent job if he does NOT “over act” like he has done in the past. There is NO good replacement for Steve C though. He is one of kind. Sorry we are losing him :(

Comment by Jo – March 25, 2011 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zach Galifinakas!!!!

Comment by Hance – March 25, 2011 03:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I…am not a fan of Will Farrell. I really hope he’s not the replacement.

Comment by Ruby – March 25, 2011 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sucks can’t have the office without michal hes a boss eventhow he’s a idiot he makes the whole show.

Comment by Connor – March 25, 2011 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will Ferrell is hilarious…a few bad movies but all the way back to his SNL days he has been funny

Comment by Joe Kerr – March 25, 2011 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m with the rest of the lot that wants Ricky Gervais to take it over… He’s the only choice, really. I love Will Ferrell, but there’s no better way to come full circle than the original.

Comment by literatelibran – March 25, 2011 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I’ll be skipping those four episodes with Ferrell. Let me know when he’s gone. He’s just not funny.

Comment by Mark – March 25, 2011 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PORTIA DE ROSSI. Nuff said.

Comment by mike – March 25, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dude, Will is a a great replacement. What’s up with u guys?!!!

Comment by Donnie – March 25, 2011 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Im so excited!!! I love Will Ferrell, he is hilarious!!!!and I cant wait to see him on the show but I still dont want Michael to go!!! The Office is not going to be the same without him but if they really really need to find a New Boss and Will Ferrell wont be on the show as the Boss for long, like somebody said above, just let Dwight run the office!!!!

Comment by Lorena – March 25, 2011 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think the writers know for sure what they’re going to do. I think they’re going to test the waters with Ferrell and see how the fans warm up to him. They might even use him for the four episodes, bring out the “mystery guy”, then use the better of the two.

Comment by chavela – March 25, 2011 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone who didn’t love it is a HATER. That was the best thing EVER!

Comment by Rachel Campbell – March 25, 2011 10:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um…Will Farrell is just doing a guest spot. He is not the new boss. And Ricky Gervais would never commit to a whole season. He can barely do a few episodes of his shows when they are successful.

Christopher Guest would work as the new boss but he doesn’t seem to do much TV.

Comment by davey – March 25, 2011 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What I meant to say is that Farrell is not the permanent new boss.

Comment by davey – March 25, 2011 11:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Folks, whoever it is, I’m sure that person has already signed the contract, shooting & editing also done. You have choice to watch or not to. So be the critic after watching their performance.

Comment by Fanchoice – March 26, 2011 06:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • wil ferrell-?a little aging for the show. good to see that he is on 4 f4 episodes- probably will be perm – kind of strange way of introducing him. the cast is wonderful – hope they do not mess with it. not sold on ferrell as yet.

Comment by Chuck Rissmiller – March 26, 2011 07:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hoping this is temporary……..

Comment by JaneJetson – March 26, 2011 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still doubting I will watch The Office without Steve Carell. But, it could be fun to have Will Ferrell there for a few episodes. I LOVED Michael’s proposal to Holly. Thought it was very sweet.

Comment by Mindy – March 26, 2011 09:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Puppyz! – March 26, 2011 10:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hoping it ends up being Will Arnett that replaces Michael permanently

Comment by Sadie – March 26, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Will Farrell will make a great addition to The Office even if it is for only four episodes, it will be great i love them both, sorry for all you fokes who just don’t have a sense of humour, It will be like when Mariah and Whitney did their duet freaking great and that’s what’s going to happen withe those four episodes… CAN’T WAIT…

Comment by Patricia – March 26, 2011 10:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will Ferrell and the Office?? I still refuse to believe that. You can’t put Will Ferrell in a show like that. People are gonna start dying left and right. I’m serious. They won’t be able to breathe because their laughing so hard. You can’t put Will Ferrell and Steve Carell in the same episode. This is very unacceptable on NBC’s part. This show is about to be too funny. Let me remind you that too much of anything is never a good thing…

Comment by Michael Nnebe – March 26, 2011 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally am not a huge will ferrell fan… he’s over the top and too physical for the subtle tongue-in-cheek humor Steve carrel brings to each episode. But even I can appreciate that carrel owes some of his success to ferrell… and its a nice way to pay homage. I just hope I can stand to watch him desecrate my favorite sitcom.

Comment by melby – March 27, 2011 04:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t worry. The suspense will end in a couple of weeks when word starts to leak out about the season finale. And it probably won’t be anyone mentioned above as the new boss. Expect the unexpected.

Comment by Bob – March 28, 2011 07:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even your old buddies at EW are trying to outdo your reporting today by publishing direct quotes from Ferrell that he will be the permanent boss. Because Will Ferrell would NEVER lie about anything.

Comment by Bob – March 28, 2011 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE OFFICE could not go wrong bringing in anybody who had lines in ANCHORMAN. That movie also had Paul Rudd, Christina Applegate, Fred Willard, Vince Vaughn, Fred Armisen, Chris Parnell, Jack Black and Ben Stiller.

Comment by Ian – March 28, 2011 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Zach Galifianakis Zach Galifianakis Zach Galifianakis Zach Galifianakis Zach Galifianakis PLEASE even with just a guest appearance .
    Zach and Dwight… AHAHAHAHAHAHA GOLD!!!
    Zach Galifianakis !!!! PLEASE

Comment by Jackie OH – April 2, 2011 02:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will Ferrell is great at what he does. Everyone from the 80-90s SNL was great, but I’m glad it’s only 4 episodes. It seems like it would be a bit weird, but I did really like his “office humor” on the SNL skip “Angry Boss” with Ferrell. I still think the BEST replacement is Rhys Darby from Flight of the Concords. I’ve heard that it has been discussed, but I don’t think Rhys is popular enough…though that might help. What do you think?

Comment by Tom – April 3, 2011 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like a 50/50 split. I’ll skip 4 weeks of Will. He’s just not entertaining to watch. I’d like the series to end. It is in decline. As long as it is a money maker, it will continue. For every sitcom that ends, there is a chance the networks will accidentally put on something worth watching…

Comment by darkenrahl – April 5, 2011 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post