The Office First Look: Meet the New Boss!

Following Thursday’s hilarious and swoon-worthy proposal-themed episode of The Office, viewers were treated to a first look at Will Ferrell’s April 14 debut as the new Big Cheese in Scranton.

That promo is now embedded below for your viewing pleasure. One important disclaimer: Although the voiceover introduces Ferrell as Michael Scott’s successor, keep in mind that the funny guy is only slated to stick around for four episodes — presumably to ease the transition between Colorado-bound Michael and his real (and still top-secret) heir apparent.

Ask Ausiello: Major Spoilers on Grey’s Anatomy, Fringe, Smallville, House and More!

Enjoy! And when you’re done, scroll down and critique Michael’s question-popping prowess.

1. Bobm says:

I think Michael’s replacement (can never be a real replacement ) should be Steven Colbert.

2. Sterling says:

They should have just ended the series with Michael leaving with Holly, Dwight and Angela getting back together, Pam & Jim doing something romantic,and at the very last minute have Ricky Gervais walk in and say he is the new replacement.

Done. Series finale.

3. Greg W says:

I’m praying it’s Ricky Gervais. The UK Office was the superior show without a doubt, and the US version has degenerated into a soapie since about series 4. The proposal episode is a perfect example. Ricky might just save it.

Then again – part of the reason the UK show was so much better was they knew when to stop. Michael’s departure would be a great time to stop, but it’s probably too late for that now – they really should have stopped it about 4 seasons ago.

4. callie says:

Didn’t see this week’s episode, but I am bummed about Steve leaving. Maybe he isn’t really….

5. Me says:

My money’s on kathy Bates coming back full time if her new show bombs-

6. adrian says:

Get David Brent to be the new boss!!
    (RICKY GERVAIS)

7. pat says:

Its just tv folks. I enjoy The Office but have a life and find some things to be more important than entertainment

• Ruby says:

So much of a life that you feel the need to comment about it, huh? “LOOK AT ME I HAVE A LIFE! REALLY! I DO! I SWEAR! NEVER MIND THAT I’M PICKING ON PEOPLE WHO LOVE SOMETHING ON A MESSAGE BOARD, I HAVE A LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIFE!”

Sure ya do.

8. Kasi firefly says:

If andy samburg was his assistent that wud be amazing!!!

9. cenzi says:

I loved it. 99%. The only 1% is that for such an important thing to happen, it could have been a two episode thing. It kinda seemed a little bit too rushed to finish something so important. Thats what she said.

10. Angelica Garcia says:

Woohoo!!! The office will be 10x funnier now with Will Ferrell in it :) deff worth watching

11. Rach says:

It’s going to be Daniel Tosh who is the replacement. A very reliable source accidentally released this info.

12. Jo says:

As an avid watcher (The Office is the ONLY show I watch besides the news and weather)I think Will F will do a decent job if he does NOT “over act” like he has done in the past. There is NO good replacement for Steve C though. He is one of kind. Sorry we are losing him :(

13. Hance says:

Zach Galifinakas!!!!

14. Ruby says:

I…am not a fan of Will Farrell. I really hope he’s not the replacement.

15. Connor says:

This sucks can’t have the office without michal hes a boss eventhow he’s a idiot he makes the whole show.

16. Joe Kerr says:

Will Ferrell is hilarious…a few bad movies but all the way back to his SNL days he has been funny

17. literatelibran says:

I’m with the rest of the lot that wants Ricky Gervais to take it over… He’s the only choice, really. I love Will Ferrell, but there’s no better way to come full circle than the original.

18. Mark says:

I guess I’ll be skipping those four episodes with Ferrell. Let me know when he’s gone. He’s just not funny.

19. mike says:

PORTIA DE ROSSI. Nuff said.

20. Donnie says:

Dude, Will is a a great replacement. What’s up with u guys?!!!

21. Lorena says:

Im so excited!!! I love Will Ferrell, he is hilarious!!!!and I cant wait to see him on the show but I still dont want Michael to go!!! The Office is not going to be the same without him but if they really really need to find a New Boss and Will Ferrell wont be on the show as the Boss for long, like somebody said above, just let Dwight run the office!!!!

22. chavela says:

I don’t think the writers know for sure what they’re going to do. I think they’re going to test the waters with Ferrell and see how the fans warm up to him. They might even use him for the four episodes, bring out the “mystery guy”, then use the better of the two.

23. Rachel Campbell says:

Anyone who didn’t love it is a HATER. That was the best thing EVER!

24. davey says:

Um…Will Farrell is just doing a guest spot. He is not the new boss. And Ricky Gervais would never commit to a whole season. He can barely do a few episodes of his shows when they are successful.

Christopher Guest would work as the new boss but he doesn’t seem to do much TV.

25. Fanchoice says:

Folks, whoever it is, I’m sure that person has already signed the contract, shooting & editing also done. You have choice to watch or not to. So be the critic after watching their performance.

26. Chuck Rissmiller says:

wil ferrell-?a little aging for the show. good to see that he is on 4 f4 episodes- probably will be perm – kind of strange way of introducing him. the cast is wonderful – hope they do not mess with it. not sold on ferrell as yet.

27. JaneJetson says:

Hoping this is temporary……..

28. Mindy says:

I’m still doubting I will watch The Office without Steve Carell. But, it could be fun to have Will Ferrell there for a few episodes. I LOVED Michael’s proposal to Holly. Thought it was very sweet.

29. Sadie says:

I’m hoping it ends up being Will Arnett that replaces Michael permanently

30. Patricia says:

I think Will Farrell will make a great addition to The Office even if it is for only four episodes, it will be great i love them both, sorry for all you fokes who just don’t have a sense of humour, It will be like when Mariah and Whitney did their duet freaking great and that’s what’s going to happen withe those four episodes… CAN’T WAIT…

31. Will Ferrell and the Office?? I still refuse to believe that. You can’t put Will Ferrell in a show like that. People are gonna start dying left and right. I’m serious. They won’t be able to breathe because their laughing so hard. You can’t put Will Ferrell and Steve Carell in the same episode. This is very unacceptable on NBC’s part. This show is about to be too funny. Let me remind you that too much of anything is never a good thing…

32. melby says:

I personally am not a huge will ferrell fan… he’s over the top and too physical for the subtle tongue-in-cheek humor Steve carrel brings to each episode. But even I can appreciate that carrel owes some of his success to ferrell… and its a nice way to pay homage. I just hope I can stand to watch him desecrate my favorite sitcom.

33. Bob says:

Don’t worry. The suspense will end in a couple of weeks when word starts to leak out about the season finale. And it probably won’t be anyone mentioned above as the new boss. Expect the unexpected.

34. Bob says:

Even your old buddies at EW are trying to outdo your reporting today by publishing direct quotes from Ferrell that he will be the permanent boss. Because Will Ferrell would NEVER lie about anything.

35. Ian says:

THE OFFICE could not go wrong bringing in anybody who had lines in ANCHORMAN. That movie also had Paul Rudd, Christina Applegate, Fred Willard, Vince Vaughn, Fred Armisen, Chris Parnell, Jack Black and Ben Stiller.

36. Jackie OH says:

Zach Galifianakis Zach Galifianakis Zach Galifianakis Zach Galifianakis Zach Galifianakis PLEASE even with just a guest appearance .
    Zach and Dwight… AHAHAHAHAHAHA GOLD!!!
    Zach Galifianakis !!!! PLEASE

37. Tom says:

Will Ferrell is great at what he does. Everyone from the 80-90s SNL was great, but I’m glad it’s only 4 episodes. It seems like it would be a bit weird, but I did really like his “office humor” on the SNL skip “Angry Boss” with Ferrell. I still think the BEST replacement is Rhys Darby from Flight of the Concords. I’ve heard that it has been discussed, but I don’t think Rhys is popular enough…though that might help. What do you think?

38. darkenrahl says:

Looks like a 50/50 split. I’ll skip 4 weeks of Will. He’s just not entertaining to watch. I’d like the series to end. It is in decline. As long as it is a money maker, it will continue. For every sitcom that ends, there is a chance the networks will accidentally put on something worth watching…