The Office First Look: Meet the New Boss!

Following Thursday’s hilarious and swoon-worthy proposal-themed episode of The Office, viewers were treated to a first look at Will Ferrell’s April 14 debut as the new Big Cheese in Scranton.

That promo is now embedded below for your viewing pleasure. One important disclaimer: Although the voiceover introduces Ferrell as Michael Scott’s successor, keep in mind that the funny guy is only slated to stick around for four episodes — presumably to ease the transition between Colorado-bound Michael and his real (and still top-secret) heir apparent.

Ask Ausiello: Major Spoilers on Grey’s Anatomy, Fringe, Smallville, House and More!

Enjoy! And when you’re done, scroll down and critique Michael’s question-popping prowess.

1. Amanda says:

Only for four episodes, that is better… I don’t like him this much, for a cameo, OK, but not to replace Michael, ever!

• Shelly says:

May I be the first to say, huh? I think you forgot people don’t hear your thoughts as they read what you type… but from what I gather you don’t like Will Ferrell that much. Again I say, huh?

• Jillian says:

I do love Will Ferrell, but I would’ve lloved to see Ricky Gervais come to this show! He would’ve been PERFECT! He portrays a similar ‘funny’ as Steve Carrell. I wll sure miss you Michael Scott!

• Amber says:

yeah, I’m not a huge Will Ferrell fan either.

• UtahMan says:

I think Will Ferrell is a BRILLIANT choice!
      Both characters are ridiculously funny-now all we have to add is John C. Riley teaming-up with Packer and you’ve got yourself another hit series!

• Snsetblaze says:

I reacall reading he is not in it for the long run – this is only for four episodes. He doesn’t need the work.

• eliott256 says:

Did you read that, I don’t know, say, in this article? :P

• Bob says:

Are you sure about not needing the work? Based on his last few box office bombs, he may just need the job. Funny or Die doesn’t pay that much.

• Rich says:

Are you referring to his last movie, Megamind, that made $148 million? Or maybe the one before that, The Other Guys, that made $119 million? Yeah, this guy is box office poison. (That’s sarcasm in case you didn’t realize).

• CD says:

You’re reading my mind! I was just talking about how awesome John C Reilly would be for The Office.

• anginut says:

You hit it on the head UtahMan, I was saying the exact same thing to my husband last night!!!

Too bad he’ll only be on for four episodes….

Ricky Gervais would be the BOMB to replace Steve Carrell!!!!

• Wendy says:

I really wish that Will F. could stay – Love him!!

• Susan says:

I will NOT watch the Office ever again if Will Farrell is on it. He’s like fingernails on a blackboard…or a bad rash…very irritating!

• Mark says:

Ferrel is a horrible choice! He couldn’t make me laugh if i was on laughing gas. Better choices: promote Ryan, bring back Charles or David. Jo from Saber. ANYTHING but him (or Gervais for that matter).
        Well if nothing else, this just freed up my Thursday nights. Ugh.

• Michael Plymale says:

I can’t stand Ricky Gervais. If he eventually replaces Michael, they will have a lost a fan. I really want to give Will Ferrell a chance…

• Ryan says:

I don’t hate Ricky Gervais but he’s not right for this show. What about Danny McBride…

• Cazza UK says:

Are you for real?? I think that you either don’t know or forget that without Ricky Gervais there would be no ‘The Office’! Seeing as it originated in Britain and Michael is based on RG’s ORIGINAL character of David Brent!!!…oh and not forgetting the fact that it was his creation!!!

• Dougfresh says:

well your obviously british so you think a brit should be the right choice. as this is an american program, we dont want to turn on the tv and have the main character be a brit. Nothing on you guys, but would you want to watch a show with a main actor thats american? and besides, gervais has already played michael scott, he wont play a second one

• Steve says:

How can be Ricky Gervais not right fot this show….When he created the show….

• joe brown says:

you suck

• Cazza UK says:

What’s wrong? Truth hurts? Or is it hard for you to comprehend that a brit can produce top class comedy?

• Dougfresh says:

dont be a dick he never said anything racist you are the one putting words in his mouth

• Dar says:

They will have only lost one fan, but gained millions more. Ricky IS the office. It would have not existed without him. But then again, there are many others who could do the job, but you can’t replace the character that Steve was. He’s not replaceable.

2. Tucker says:

I was actually kind of surprised at how touching the proposal was. And I loved that there was no way Michael was going to be proposed to in the breakroom but the perfect place was the HR nook just a few feet away from the breakroom.

Personally, I’m not looking forward to Will Ferrell as the interim boss.

• Brock says:

I loved all his ideas and the fact the committee had to talk him out of them all…. It was so well executed. I was so moved by the candle room and the fact they all ran into the sprinklers to congratulate them! :)

3. Matt W says:

Cannot wait for Will Ferrell! It’ll be an interesting chemistry between him and the others!

4. Mark says:

It’s always good to have a “rebound” between serious relationships.

5. Sourabh says:

WTH. How could somebody hate the proposal? Or even think it was ‘Meh’?

• Daniel says:

because it’s supposed to be a comedy show. Not a soap opera.

• Amber says:

It was funny and sweet. There’s no rule that says comedies can’t have heart.

• haylee says:

i totally agree . . . take scrubs for example. hysterically funny show yet it was incredibly serious in some episodes

• C says:

Exactly! The Office is one of the most romantic shows I’ve seen in ages. I still get teary thinking of Jim and Pam’s wedding. (and proposal…and first kiss….aw. I just love Jim and Pam!)

• Xtaban says:

Nay, it’s supposed to be a mockumentary. Therefore it has to include some plots and peaks into the character’s lives which is bound to incorporate some emotion. Go watch Family Guy for emotion-less, brain-less comedy.

• noosa1999 says:

I agree one hundred percent…..The office is terrible this season, not funny at all! Every character has blended into one bland, not funny person. I found the proposal dull and not at all funny….if you want a soap opera watch All My Children. I want to laugh and The Office just doesn’t make me laugh AT All this season. It’s had its run!

• Daniel says:

Because it’s supposed to be a comedy show, not a soap opera.

• Amber says:

It was funny and sweet. There’s no rule that says a comedy can’t have heart. Sorry if this posts twice, its not showing up the first time for me.

• Aren says:

actually if you look up the definition of comedy it says “A DRAMATIC work that is light and often humorous or satirical in tone and that usually contains a happy resolution of the thematic conflict.”
          I also learned in a literature course I took, that in order for something to be considered a comedy, it must contain someone falling in love or some sort of love aspect.
          So if anything, I would say that there is a rule saying that comedy has to have a heart. and has to have some mushy love stuff

• Tim says:

Oh really? Was that your feeling when Jim proposed to Pam?

• Brooke says:

I thought it was “Meh?” because of everyone asking her to marry her before Michael did. That kind of ruined it. If it were reality, you know the lady would be flipping out because she would have known what was going on by then.

• jax says:

I totally agree, how could anyone hate that proposal?? ….It brought me to tears, not just because it incorporated the whole staff in an awesome and sweet way, but in my mind he is leaving and I’ll miss him!

6. La Flama Blanca says:

could be funny. will is def hit or miss. all depends on the material he is given. if it is bad, it will be on the writers, not on will.

• Troy says:

You do realise that if he delivers what the writers give him wrong it could also turn out bad. Scripts and delivery will both be key for Will to be funny, i just dont think he fits in this style. This is Steve’s domain.

• Leslie says:

Agree, agree and agree with all comments. I think the point is…will “The Office” ever be the same? I think that Michael is the center of the series. My 70+ year old folks, thought that “Office” was cancelled, already.
        No tiger blood, it seems.

• Wendy says:

I totally disagree – this is EXACTLY his domain. I’ve seen almost every movie and SNL skit Will F. has been in and he will make an awesome addition/replacement. It’s just a shame that it’s only 4 episodes!

7. Cory says:

Sigh….. Goodbye Michael!

8. Titch says:

Agreed .. watching 4 episodes with Will Ferrell will be painful enough. Having him there full time would kill the show. Period.

9. Tom Gallagher says:

Will Ferrell will be great. My money is on Ricky Gervais reprising his role from the British version as Michael’s replacement.

10. Stacie J says:

I think the only person who could possibly make the office continue and be as good if not better than it is with Michael Scott would be if David Brent (Ricky Gervais) would be the new boss…. but I know that’s asking too much…..

• JFlartner says:

@Stacie J as much as I love Ricky Gervais and David Brent, I don’t think I would enjoy David taking over for Michael. The original Office was absolutely brilliant, but the American Office is different. I did not like David Brent. At all. And I don’t think you’re supposed to. Steve Carrell’s Michael Scott is much more sympathetic and likeable. That is what I’m going to miss after April 29:

11. Denisse says:

I can’t stand Will Ferrell, I’m so disappointed that he’s going to be on The Office.

12. Christina says:

Awww, only four episodes? Such a tease! I mean Will is perfect for the role, how can you top Will Ferrell?!? Unless of course it’s a huge scam and you’re really keeping Steve Carell on. ~;-)

13. sagnik roychowdhury says:

Still sometimes wonder whether anyone could suitably replace Michael. In my opinion, they should not really bring in any new character. Just have Dwight rule the office.
    That would be hilarious. :D

14. Cait says:

Love Will Ferrell!!! Last year when rumors were going around that Steve Carell was leaving, I told my husband, “they are going to have to replace him (as much as he can be replaced) by someone GOOD like… Will Ferrell or something.”
    I will miss Michael, no doubt about it! But looking forward to what Ferrell will be like on our favorite show.

15. The proposal was well done. I enjoyed the sprinklers going off in the middle as well; just added the right Michael Scott touch.

Will Ferrel will be an interesting addition, temporary or not. I will be watching the remaining four episodes, hoping for the best.

16. Haley says:

From what Your comments are, it looks like over half of you don’t want will ferrel. I have to disagree!!!! I’m stoked to have will on there!

17. Lee Harvey says:

Any sort of Anchorman reunion is a good thing.

18. Amanda says:

Not thrilled about Will Ferrell. I hate that Michael’s leaving. It won’t be the same.

19. Carrie says:

Loved the proposal! Really sweet and just funny enough. I’m bummed about Steve Carell leaving but excited about the Will Farrell appearances. I don’t know if he should be a permanent thing until I see him. As long as the writers know how to write for him it should be great!

20. d says:

Still sad to see steve go. Not at all thrilled to see Will,but, at least it’s just a cameo.

21. carmen says:

i loved the proposal so much, it made me cry. cant wait to see what will brings.

22. Varya McCaslin-Doyle says:

It was very touching. He forgot to mention where he told her that he loved her tho. It was still a wonderful proposal.
    The sprinklers were the perfect touch. It was funny and cute.
    I will miss both Holly and Michael ALOT. They were both wonderful characters.
    I can’t picture the show without Michael but will give Will Ferrell a fair chance. He works hard on everything he does and I’m sure will provide plenty of laughs.

23. Stephanie says:

Not super thrilled about Will Ferrel taking over. I like him, but I think someone like Luke Wilson would have made more sense. Will Ferrel is to overbearing sometimes. Luke wilson has more of the subtle type comedy style, like Steve does.
    I’m hoping it turns out ok though, I really love this show!

24. Tricia says:

Not a fan of Farrell at all. Steve was/is amazing. Would love to see Ricky Gervais in the roll as the new boss. If Farrell continues past 4 episodes… alas, good bye “the office”.. You have lost a fan.

25. Hmmm says:

The proposal was cute but the rest of the episode was bland & boring.
    Seeing Jim wheel out grown potted plants to mess with Dwight was cute!
    I am not a fan of will Ferrell, so it will be interesting to see how these next 4 episodes play out. Adiós “worlds best boss”!!

26. Meg says:

It’s reall sad that Michael is leaving. And it will be interesting to see how well Will Ferrell does on The Office. I’m really curious how the other employees act towards Will !!!!

27. Its me says:

Why doesnt Jim become the boss i mean he was the co manager before so why doesnt Jim do it

28. patrick says:

I think will farell could be good. The office doesn’t really seem like his type of over the top comedy, but it could be really good. Lets just hope that there are some scenes with todd packer!

29. bob wall says:

Except for the sprinklers that proposal was done on Friends years ago, and BTW Will Ferrel sucks!!! 4 episodes of his crap might just kill it for sure.

• Carrie says:

The proposal on “Friends” was totally different. Monica proposed to Chandler in their apartment w/ candles. Big deal. Michael got advice from his staff, he took Holly around to all the places that were important to their relationship, had all of the guys ask her to marry them, then the candles triggered the sprinkler system and he proposed in his Yoda voice. No comparison there.

• The Ween says:

Are you kidding? You don’t think Michael Scott thought the Friends proposal was awesome and wanted to re-create it for his proposal to Holly? I do. Hilarious homage, writers, and totally in keeping with Michael’s level of creativity and notion of romanticism!

30. Ryan says:

I loved the proposal and garage sale!! The writers of this show do touching scenes very well, along with everything else. Well done! I for one am kind of looking forward to seeing how Will Farrell does. He’s a funny man, sometimes overly so, but I think he’ll do well.

31. bob wall says:

This proposal was lifted from Friends, and Will Ferrell is going to blow it for everyone.

32. Tami says:

Michael will be dearly missed, but I wish people would post Dwangela spoilers if there’s a reunion in the horizon for them….

33. Kate says:

I hate the idea of Michael being replaced because he simply can’t be. I’m so upset by this, but I’d probably be more upset if the Office ended completely.

34. Vince says:

Give will a chance. Haven’t you ever seen any of his movies?? His roles are just as silly as Michael Scott. If anyone can play the part it’s Will Ferrel or Will Arnett. None of you are fans of the comic scene outside of the office I presume.

• ferrel is a bore says:

It’s precisely because we’ve seen his movies that we dislike himfor The Office. I mean,come on,seriously, who doesnt know who he is. And justbecause he ‘acts crazy’ doesn’tmean that he works for the show. It’s the same reason Dwight should never be boss on the show. The Michael Scott character is over the top and that’s whjy we love him, but there are moments when he knows to behave and tone it down. Dwight can’t do that. And nothing Will Ferrell has done shows that he would do that either.

35. Matt Bostian says:

Will is amazing. Anyone who doesn’t like him has no clue what they are talking about. Get the SNL best of Will Farrell DVD’s of which there are 2 volumes unlike any other cast member. They are amazing and nobody can keep a straight face around him. Honestly, I’ve known a couple people who didn’t like Will and those were a couple of the most bitter, sour, pissy people I’ve ever known. Don’t be like them. Love Will Farrell. You are NOT allowed to have your own opinion on this subject!

• Anne says:

Will Farrell is so annoyingly over the top. And SNL stopped being even remotely funny a long time ago. Those people that you consider bitter, sour, and pissy were probably only that way around you because they were annoyed with your horrible sense of humor.

36. Carrie says:

I loved last night’s episode. The proposal was adorable and funny. I’m looking forward to Will Ferrell on the show. I think he’ll be hilarious.

37. meg says:

OH COME ON!! how much more of a mind-f@#k can you be, NBC?! 4 EPISODES?! that isn’t what the commercial said, it said “meet Michael’s replacement”. Now we won’t even know until next season! They are really dragging this out… There are really only two people who could pull off replacing Steve Carrell altogether, if Will isn’t permanent, then its going to be Ricky Gervais to keep the original boss, the original Michael. Remember in his cameo 3 or 4 episodes back, how he and Michael so conveniently got along famously & he just so happened to ask if Dunder-Mifflin had any job openings? And Michael said he would “keep him posted” as they exchanged business cards? That wasn’t just a cameo for nothing… think about it!

• Xtaban says:

That actually would make sense and connect dots easily if the guy from the UK Office took over… but that guy’s acting is quite annoying and not in a comedy kind of way… I couldnt stand the UK Office.

• meg says:

I was never into the original Office, either. However this wouldn’t be the original office, it would be Ricky Gervais coming into the new Office.. the Dwight, the Jim & Pam, the Erin. I think it would be pretty interesting. I think Gervais is comedically very funny. And if they wanted to keep it cohesive, it would be the right move.

38. M.R. says:

I will have to disagree with half of you peeps. Will Farell is an excellent actor as much as Steve Carell is. Sure it’s a sad part that Steve is leaving the show but the show IS called “The Office”. It’s not only about Michael Scott but it also involves with Dwight’s obsession with becoming regional Manager, Pam and Jim’s romance that keeps on going and all other characters that are still on the show. Wiull Farell does have the same funny personality that steve does as michael. So i must say that the 4 episodes that Farell will be in wont be as bad as it is as michael Leaving. Kudos to Steve as Michael Scott! He really did an Excellent job.

39. Xtaban says:

Will Ferrel has his movie moments but his humor can get pretty annoying and makes him seem like a try-hard sometimes. Only person who can pull off over-the-top “try hard” comedy is Jim Carrey. But he wouldnt exactly fit The Office’s style (although it would prolly still be hilarious).

40. Joanne says:

This is definitely one of the most memorable episodes. I didn’t care much about the garage sale though. I wish the whole episode was about planning out the proposal. Anyways, what about Ricky Gervais, the original The Office boss??? A funny Brit with an accent :)

41. sissyg says:

I’m disappointed that Will Ferrell will only be there for 4 episodes. I was thrilled to see him taking over.

42. Greg W says:

Will who?

43. keith says:

Great proposal people let’s be real here. Farrel as a replacement? Nahhhh he’s good but it’ll take more than him to fill steves shoes.

44. J_man86 says:

Todd Packer!!!

45. OfficeFan says:

If these guys can have the same kind of chemistry as they did in Anchorman, this has the potential to be pretty funny. I agree that Will shouldn’t replace Steve in the long run, but no one ever said he would; it’s a four-episode run. So chill out and laugh it up.

46. OfficeFan says:

This episdode gave me some hope. I felt that the comedy was much better and the proposal was romantic and goofy at the same time.
    Regarding Will Ferrell, if these guys can have the same kind of chemistry as they did in Anchorman, this has the potential to be pretty funny. I agree that Will shouldn’t replace Steve in the long run, but no one ever said he would; it’s a four-episode run. So chill out and laugh it up.

47. Rawdawg says:

i would love to see John Michael Higgins take a crack at being boss. I love his comedy and i can see his character almost in the same manner of Michael Scott, Trying to hard to fit in (be Loved). In addition his musical attribute would be a plus, i would love to see him Jam with Andy, Dwight, Darryl, and Kevin that would be awesome!

48. Todd says:

I know some people don’t like that Will is going to replace Micheal for awhile..but think about this… when has Will Ferrel ever not done a good job in a comedy? theres a reason why Will is still being offered jobs..because he’s that damn good. And I think he’s going to hit this out the park…
    p.s loved the last episode.

49. sue says:

What’s wrong with a little romance? I thought the proposal was perfect. The show is a comedy but it also has been about everyone’s lives on the show. Good or bad happy or sad thats life. With the way the world is now watching something that makes you feel good is a good thing. Will will be o.k. for 4 times but not Ricky G.He is not the type of person to replace Steve. Too Stuffy and kinda of creepy.

50. eray says:

I don’t think david brent is asking for too much. His cameo preluded him replacing michael. “Where do you work?” “Dunder mifflin.” “Any jobs going there?” “No not at the moment.” “Ok well let me know if anything opens up.”

I’m sure he’ll be the replacement…but personally, I don’t think he’s all that hilarious, and hope he fits with the show since british humor is very different. But at least he’s, basically michael scott. I hope the show stays strong. Michael will be greatly missed. Holly, ehhh.

• Kelly says:

Yes eray, exactly! The moment I saw that cameo, I knew. We shouldn’t worry. The writers are great. They’ll morph him into something that works for Scranton.