Exclusive

Covert Affairs Exclusive: Will Piper Perabo Play Doctor With Ben Lawson?

Covert Affairs is increasing its eye candy quotient as it gears up for its second season.

Aussie hunk Ben Lawson — who starred in the short-lived ABC legal drama The Deep End — is joining the USA Network smash in a recurring role.

Additionally, Rena Sofer (NCIS, Heroes) is coming on board for multiple episodes.

Lawson will play Dr. Scott Weiss, a charming and handsome Doctors Without Borders-type physician Annie (Piper Perabo) meets when she takes her niece, Chloe, to the emergency room. Passionate about his work, Scott understands Annie’s devotion to her job — even if he doesn’t know what that job actually is.

I spy flying sparks!

Sofer, meanwhile, has been cast as Gina, Arthur’s (Peter Gallagher) smart, kind-hearted ex-wife who re-enters his life to offer advice as he deals with the political fallout from Lisa’s (Emmanuelle Vaugier) media assault.

Covert Affairs‘ second season kicks off June 7.

1. teniba says:

the diversity quotient of the show is really low though, but i guess CIA people are not very diverse!!!

• MST3K says:

The show has a blind (possibly closeted) techie guy. And an anti-stereotypical Indian-American superspy…

We need a quadroplegic dwarf in there too!

• RAGGEDT says:

Why would you think Auggie is “possibly closeted”? He had a very passionate reunion with his former girlfriend last season — and it’s quite clear that he has feelings for Annie. There’s nothing that suggests that he’s gay. Though introducing a gay CIA agent wouldn’t be a bad thing IMHO.

• Vicki says:

I’ve just started watching, but I would LOVE to see Annie and Auggie together. He doesn’t look gay to me. I absolutely love Chris Gorham, so I would enjoy seeing sparks flying between those two.

• MST3K says:

Yeah I guess you’re right. Dont think the producers were ever thinking of making Auggie gay, he is just a really snappy dresser.

• andrea says:

I really like Christopher Gorham. He’s cute and has a well-maintained physique. I admire his character, though blind, it didn’t hinder him from doing something great. I haven’t seen yet the “auggie-ex-gf reunion” episode (late airing here), i don’t think he is “possibly closeted”. I agree with you that he has feelings for Annie. I’m hoping in CA Session 2, it would be Annie and Auggie in the end.

• dutch says:

Regarding Emmanuelle Vaugier’s character -
      You spell Liza the way it sounds, LIZA not Lisa – sheesh.

2. Deion says:

So I guess we can take that to mean that Ben doesn’t survive the escape? Or is at least captured?

3. Bella says:

Rena Sofer? Really? She made NCIS almost unwatchable. I don’t know if I can stand watching the show if she’s going to be on it, especially for multiple episodes.

• jc78 says:

AMEN! She makes every show she guest stars on unwatchable. I almost didn’t survive the season she was on 24.

• Chatty says:

Good to know I’m not the only one who can’t stand her. Maybe she’s a nice person, but her acting … leaves much to be desired. Please kill her character ASAP!

• Gwen says:

Didn’t she play Adrian Pasdar’s wife in “Heroes”? I didn’t enjoy her in that role, either.

• wednesday says:

You took the words right out of my mouth! I was so looking forward to the show coming back on this summer, but now I may have to skip it all together. I did quit watching NCIS when she came on and they were thinking of putting her with Gibbs. YUCK! Here goes another one of my shows.

• Liz says:

Agree — HATED her on NCIS.

• Charlee says:

I agree with your opinion of Rena Sofer. I was just watching this thing for Christopher Gorham’s character. If they don’t up his tv time I may have to quit watching.

4. george says:

A point of editing: Emmanuelle Vaugier’s character is named Liza, not Lisa.

• dutch says:

Oops, I didn’t see this before I posted a correction. I am guessing that a spelling lesson repeated will not hurt the writer, however.

5. Pamela says:

So Ben Mercer (Eion Bailey) really did die?? Disappointed. He and Piper had really GREAT chemistry. Too bad.

6. J says:

I’d rather see Lena Headey as a guest star. ;)

7. Amy says:

I for one am hoping Annie and Auggie finally get together! But a good point was raised about how not-diverse this show is. You’d think they’d maybe be a little more imaginative at least with the guest stars. At least we have Sendhil.

8. beth says:

Love the doc coming in! But jesus, rena sofer invading another one of my favorite shows. #fail. she killed the season 7 of NCIS for me. Hopefully, she’ll have learned some acting skills for covert, or at least the character will be semi-likable.

9. Alyssa says:

I feel like there are plenty of guys on the show. Why can’t they add a friend (woman)for her. She already has like 3 love interests. That’s enough.

• Amy says:

I totally agree that it would be great to have a fellow female agent for Annie to know/be friends with. And hey, if she was a love interest too, that would at least be different!

10. Kat says:

What about Ben? The Annie/Ben story is the best part of Covert Affairs and the chemistry between Eion Bailey and Piper Perabo is amazing. They just sizzle when they have a scene together! Forget these new people and give us Ben and Annie and Augie!!!!

I don’t get TV execs! Last year was Covert Affairs first season and it did great! So, why mess with a winning formula and the actors who made it happen? Makes no sense…

11. Jon says:

Rena Sofer has rapidly become the Ted McGinley of TV shows.

12. Susie says:

Rena Sofer playing kind-hearted ex-wife? Really? I’d think it would be more fun if they scripted a chick fight between her and Kari in the parking lot … Or the foyer outside Arthur’s office. Like many other fans, I’d love to see Annie and Auggie get together, but then everything else would be anticlimactic.

13. kat says:

Shows should not have to worry so much about diversity (and viewers should not care so much). They should cast the best person for the part regardless of how diverse that makes the cast.

14. Arsimo says:

A nice guest would be Yvonne Strahovksi playing her character from Chuck: CIA-agent Sarah Walker while portraing a relative (cousin?) of Annie Walker. Two *ss-kicking blond CIA agents with the same last name is too good a chance to miss without joining them one time wouldn’t you say?

15. Lyn says:

I’m not one to clamor for every set of congenial co-workers on TV to be mashed together romantically. (So, let Annie and Augie remain friends.) But I think Jai, the handsome & intriguing Indian character, should get to have a sizzling relationship with SOMEone! Also don’t get the hate for Rena Sofer . . . her NCIS part was not well-written, but I think she’s a competent actress and certainly gorgeous.

16. Kayem says:

I agree with Lyn; Annie hooking up with the first person she met at the CIA? Too easy and too Jennifer Anistonlike. The romance with Mercer is too hot to eliminate, keep it going in some form.

17. cathy says:

I hope Ben Mercer is coming back. Annie and Ben are so good together,if he is not in the show it will make a big difference in watching the show. I love Eion and Piper together. They are really hot together.

18. Kat says:

Who cares about Ben Lawson? We want Annie with Ben Mercer! Why do networks refuse to listen to the fans????