The Office First Look: Will Michael's Marriage Proposal to Holly Go Up In Smoke?

After seven seasons and 653 awkward situations, Steve Carell makes an explosive exit as Michael Scott this week on The Office (Thursday, 9/8c).

At least that’s what almost happened.

The reality is, Carell’s swan song is still a few weeks out. But were it not for the quick-thinking of a certain veteran Dunder Mifflin-ite, Michael would’ve gone out in a blaze of utter humiliation in tonight’s episode, which revolves around the hopeless romantic’s efforts to come up with the perfect marriage proposal for Holly.

Press play and see for yourself.

1. Kiddo says:

2. Buffy Freak says:

I know I’m in the minority on this one but I can’t stand Michael and Holly…all the funny voices and other stuff has gotten really old really fast too me.

• jgriff says:

• Mike Urciolo says:

I agree with you about the voice; I like Holly, but despite the fact that this show is one of the funniest on TV, I’ve just about had enough with Michael. His insensitivity and meanness has gone on too long.

Frankly, I hope Toby punches him out on Michael’s last episode!

• Lacey says:

I also don’t like Holly. She’s annoying. She broke up with Michael, moved on too fast, and rubbed it in his face at every opportunity. I am really disappointed this is the way he’s going out. Lame! :(

• beth says:

I do think the writers screwed up on this one – I like Holly and Michael together and the “rule” that said they couldn’t date moved her to NH, then she starts dating a coworker there? I thought that coworkers couldn’t date (or was it managers? Jim and Pam seemed to have no problem, etc.) And then when the company gets bought out they still have that rule? Lame.

And yes, if Holly left she shouldn’t have come back with an in-office boyfriend if she came back at all.

• OfficeFan says:

Jan had Holly sent away out of jealousy, it was not because there was a rule about them dating. Remember Jan and Michael????

• gina says:

Wait, didn’t Holly come into the picture after Jan got fired? It was Dave Wallace who had Holly transfered after he found out she and Michael were “involved”.

• Lauren says:

Yes Jan was gone. David Wallace send Holly away because of Michael and Jans mess.David didnt want to go through all of that again. The new company owner condones office relationships but Tobys back and not going to NH. Therefore Holly cant come back. I wonder though why shes back for the time?

• topoopon says:

Toby is on high profile jury duty.

• Dash says:

I totally agree! I really can’t stand Michael and Holly. Last week on Parks and Rec, Mean Ben and Leslie did a bit that was very similar to Michael and Holly and all I could think was “DEAR GOD NO!” I don’t like the silly voices and the stupid never ending bits. It’s like it’s funny for the first 5 seconds and then it goes on for the next five minutes and it’s not funny it’s just awkward.

• NMO says:

Well of course Michael and Holly are annoying — but isn’t that kind of the point? He’s met someone who can relate to his idiocy?

• michaelandhollyhater says:

To me, the point is it’s not funny. Annoying, yes. Annoying to the point where it makes me laugh, definitely not. In the past, The Office has brought “annoying” and “awkward” to an art form, and a pretty hysterical one at that. This relationship has never been humorous to me, and it’s certainly never made me feel happy or warm and fuzzy for Michael. Whenever they are on screen together I start to throw up a little in my mouth and it’s a struggle not to change the channel. That’s not an emotion you want to feel when you’re watching your favorite comedy. I miss the old pre-Holly Office days, and the old pre-Holly Michael Scott!

• Amber says:

Are we in the minority? Hard to say. I do hate Michael and Holly as a couple. Holly in general I’ve never been a fan of. The relationship is so awkward to me, and not in a funny awkward office way, but just awkward to the point where I want to turn the TV off because I’m so uncomfortable and not laughing. The PDA episode where they were all over each other made me want to vomit. It was so gross. If they get together at the end of his run, that may ruin the character of Michael Scott forever for me. I always thought Michael and Jan were such a hysterical couple and were totally right for each other. My favorite bit about them was how she used to make him dress up like a Catholic school girl as part of their foreplay. I miss Jan. She was a much better comedic actress.

3. Kay says:

I’m likewise tired of the Michael-Holly thing, it’s somewhat stale at this point. And in actuality, I think a lot of this show has gone stale. When it was still milking the UK version, it kept a thread of cynicism but now it’s mostly this golly-gee sweetness. Once in a while they have some inspired comedy, which is why I still watch it. I hear that Ricky Gervais will appear (again) in season finale; I think the replacement of Michael Scott by David Brent from the UK version would be a brilliant move to revive this show.

4. Paul says:

agreed I think the office will be fine without Michael. His character was always a little too obnoxious compared to the rest of the cast

5. Sally says:

Love Michael, will be sad day to see him go…don;t care too much for Holly..goodbye

6. shannon says:

Michael is completely annoying. Funny, but I can’t get thru an episode without saying “what an IDIOT!” I watch the show for Jim, Pam and Dwight.

• Laura says:

Dwight has GOT TO BE the funniest character ever. I love the duality of his character as both a self-sufficient beet-farming lady-killer and a sniveling office drone seeking to please Michael (not so much anymore though). I love everything he says, pretty much.

7. nikita annenkov says:

You guys are retarded, the two of them are the funniest on the show.

8. jack says:

Well I guess its a good thing for you then that their only on the show together for 2 more episodes after tonite

9. Jason says:

There is no way the office will ever be the same with out Michael… Steve Carrel is genious

10. Christopher says:

Actually, I hear Will Ferrel will act as the temporary boss for a few episodes.

• mindy says:

Having “Guest Bosses” might work for awhile until they find a permanent boss…I read somewhere that Amy Poehler’s husband was going to be the next boss..

• adam says:

Will arnett should not automatically be referred to as “amy poehler’s husband” guy is one of the funniest on tv/movies. Aside from that awful show he just had on fox.

• Amber says:

adam, I think I’m in love with you! =) That’s exactly what I was thinking about “Amy Poehler’s husband.” I hold hatred in my heart towards Fox for their cancellation of Arrested Development. It was way too smart of a show for that network, I guess. I don’t think Will Arnett is to be blamed for any of his previous shows’ cancellations. He just needs a good, solid, funny comedy to star on, and then it will be pure TV “magic”. (Waiting with baited breath for someone to pick up the Arrested Development cue here).

• mallory says:

it’s not magic, it’s an illuuusion!

• Jake says:

Job was an awesome magician and I hope that Will Arnett as Job and Jason Bateman as Michael will get to return to Arrested Development in movie form one day. Though I do not see Will being a good fit for the office. As a guest star yes but not every week. I don’t know who they are going to go with but I hope they get it right because I do not want to see this show squandered away by bad casting.

• beth says:

Ugh. I hate Will Arnett. His last couple of shows have been canceled – why not just cancel The Office before Will Arnett can ruin that too? Just give it up, NBC!

• Taylor says:

I hope you’re not lumping Arrested Development in with ‘his last couple shows,’ because that was comedic genius. Besides, it was only in an interview with Ricky Gervais when he casually mentioned that he was a fan of Will Arnett, and he thought that he would fit in well with The Office.

• me says:

Agreed. It was a perfect show. The only thing that killed Arrested Development was the fact that it was on FOX. It was far too intelligent for the Nascar/ FOX “news” crowd.

11. MST3K says:

I love this show, and it is still very funny, but it clearly is not as great as it was back when they had the whole will they/wont they thing going with Jim and Pam. Ever since they got together it’s been a lot of hit or miss episodes.
    That being said, the “hit” episodes have been fantastic, and this clip looks very funny.

Im not tired of the Michael/Holly thing because I know it wont last long. Michael only has a few more episodes to go *sniff*

12. Tammy says:

Wow…Michael being ridiculous but still sweet at his core is the whole point of the show…it will never be the same without him. I love Jim, Dwight, Andy, and Toby, but not without Michael.

13. Bob says:

Tonight is also Holly’s last episode… I’m guessing she says no.

14. Aleksey says:

I think you Michael haters have got to realise the true genious of Steve Carrel and how he makes you feel about Michael that way. While I personaly dislike Michael as a person, I love the wildness of his character and his absence will surely make the show more stale.

• Steph says:

Exactly.. it’s like no one remembers that The Office is a show of deadpan “uncomfortable” humor. They’re not telling jokes or having sitcom banter like on Two and Half Men or whatever.. Michael is SUPPOSED to make you cringe and THEN laugh. If you prefer traditional sitcoms, you’re watching the wrong show. Steve is a genuis.

15. Dana says:

I’m not a fan of Michael and especially not a fan of Holly. There are many different characters with excellent angles they can use. Often people just get irritated when Michael is being a selfish, jackass, and every episode showing his attitude has pushed that in to more hate towards him. Think of what the show could be if they gave Stanley, or Creed more camera time. They have a lot of characters with the strange little quirks just sitting in the background, they need to bring those people forward-

16. Susan says:

Steve corelle (sp?) is a comedic genus in my opinion, he will be greatly missed. In response to those that don’t like Michael and Holly thing, that’s just crazy! ; ) They are very funny together! This is one of my favorite shows on TV!

17. Maryrose says:

couldn’t have said it better. Plus he is so damn hilarious. He doesn’t even have to say anything…He can just look into the camera and make me laugh. He will be missed on the show… definately!

18. Darlene says:

Michael and Holly are SUPPOSED to be annoying together! That’s what’s so funny about it, although, aggravating at the same time. Can’t you see the looks of disgust on everyone’s faces in the office? Second of all, if Holly doesn’t marry him, I will!

• Buffy Freak says:

Yeah I get that it’s supposed to be funny/annoying and it was the first couple of times. But it’s every episode and it’s just gotten old IMO.

19. beth says:

When Michael goes they should just cancel the show. It has been going downhill for awhile, and just wouldn’t be the same without him. I guess if they were to promote Dwight that might be okay, but it probably would still continue on it’s downward spiral. Let it go out on a “good” note (which probably would have meant ending a year or two ago) or at least don’t try to save it when Michael moves on.

20. B says:

I cant stand the character michael either. I find him totally unfunny, and mean to boot. The episode where Pam set him up with her unattractive landlord took the cake. How mean can anyone be. Writers should be ashamed of themselves for writing this heartbreak for the woman into the show

21. Alex C says:

Michael is leaving anyway soon. So the bitching is a waste of time. The other characters on the show aren’t perfect either cause they had their mean moments throughout the run.

22. Charlie says:

The Michael/Holly relationship has definitely been a driving force, and I personally enjoy it. The voices might be a little much, but the staff’s reactions are great, especially Erin’s opinions of Holly. Hands-down, I’d take their relationship over the boredom of Jim and Pam. Those two need to have an all-out war against each other for me to remotely be interested them. … As far as the comment about getting Stanley and Creed more camera time when Michael’s gone, I REALLY hope that doesn’t happen for Creed. He’s perfect for one or two classic moments in an episode. Any more than that, and I think his character loses its luster.

• Elle says:

Oh definitely. Part of the awesomeness of Creed is that you don’t know much about him. You hardly ever see him, so he has this air of mystery about him.

23. harrison says:

michael is annoying, holly is ugly and annoying. nbc knows what they’re doing.. Phylis should be out next

• Danny says:

If you hate so many of the characters, why do you even watch the show?

• harrison says:

3 of the 26 characters oh yeah that’s real close to “many”.. because they’re annoying? NBC makes it this way so we won’t miss them when they’re gone.

24. mary says:

What makes this tv show so funny is the mix of ALL the characters ….not only Michael…but, without Michael, and that’s my opinion, without him the show will not be the same!..We always need Michael, just a little bit of him, not too much…as always…

25. True Fan says:

If you guys don’t love every second of all episodes…don’t say a word right now!! It’s the almost over!:(

26. DeeDee says:

I will very much miss Michael. I can’t imagine how the series will do without him, but I am curious to see how they pull it off. The Office has such an extraordinary cast of characters that play off of each other so well. There are some I am not particularly fond of, for instance Ryan and Kelly, but even they add to the total success of the show. By the way, my favorite right now is Erin and I didn’t like her AT ALL when she first came on. Now I crack up just looking at her! I think that these talented actors will be able to step up to the plate and continue to entertain us…at least for a little while longer.

27. Tanya says:

I personally like the Michael and Holly relationship. And even though its true Michael is an insensitive jerk at times I find him completely hilarious at other times and dont know how the show will go on without him.

28. Alexis says:

Hahaha! Michael is such an idiot with the gasoline & fire. This is going to be a fantastic episode! So excited!

29. Elle says:

I personally love Michael. The show would never have gotten to where it is now without him. And Holly is the perfect match. Yes, their weird voices and bits are awkward, but they’re SUPPOSED to be. Of all the people that have come and gone through the Office world, the only people that Michael and Holly don’t make feel awkward with their weirdness is each other. It’s sweet an odd way, just like Michael and Holly themselves. One of the running themes in the show is whether or not Michael will find someone who can love him, and to send him off like this just seems perfect.

30. happylazymartha says:

the other characters all bounce off of Micheals absurd antics.Will be interesting to watch…..

31. carmen says:

I agree with another Office fan. Holly is annoying. I would have liked to see him with Jan, the pretty lady. I think it would have been sort of funny if Jan’s baby was really his and then he left somewhere into the MOVIES THAT HOLLYWOOD PRODUCES. SEE YOU IN THE MOVIES STEVE CARELL. Office fans, Steve is co-starring a movie with Meryl Streep that is being made this summer.
    I think Ryan Darby or Rick Gervais would make a good and funny manager. Ryan is from the HBO show “Flight of the Conchords’ Check out his u-tube videos. He is the TV manager of their band, which is a real band that played in Vegas !

• Julia says:

Rhys Darby, actually. But I agree, he’d make a great manager (and by great of course I mean awful but fun to watch).
      Rhys: Dwight?
      Dwight: Present.
      Rhys: Jim?
      Jim (does that sideways look at the camera): Yep.
      Rhys: Rhys? Yes present, thank you. I’m always here anyway I don’t know why I bother with my line.

32. Christina says:

Steve is amazing sad to see him go, one of my favorite actors. Jim should become manager cause then dwight would be his assistant. Andy could become dwights new rival/desk neighbor. They already have the angela thing. First day as manager jim would jello all office staplers, except of course his own. Little twist, bj novak, you suck and jim makes you pams secretary. Meanwhile I think stanly is to jim as dwight was to michael as in he becomes the new office drone boss loving weirdo.he hated micheal so much that he thinks jim is his savior. Maybe new writers cause to hear the people call the show stale and wish it would go away makes me sad. this is the only show I watch besides the simpsons. Fyi ricky gervais lame, and arrested development, best only thing I can stands from that show is michael cera….who by the way is a comic genius. He should do a surprise guest stunt for the office.

33. GetaLife says:

You people need to get a life.

34. Anya says:

Although Michael and Holly aren’t my favorite characters on the show, you cannot deny that this dorky couple is perfect for each other

35. aracely says:

i love holly and michael together! shes the perfect match for him their both excatly the same and they understand eachother so well they are the perfect couple <3

36. Mark says:

How can you like The Office and not appreciate Michael? Although I will miss Michael I am eager to see how the show adjusts to keep it funny and interesting. The Office is the best show on TV, hope it lasts many more seasons.

37. Robert says:

Michael and Holly’s relationship feels very tacked on. But I guess when you try to compare anything to what Jim and Pam went through to eventually be together, it’s going to look lame.

38. Fred Green says:

You people are fans of Will Arnett and the most overrated sitcom in television history, “Arrested Development”? That whole show was just a crass ripoff of “Soap.”

39. Caitlin says:

Is this the “everyone hate on Holly” post? I like Michael and Holly together. Obviously they are going to be annoying, that’s why they’re perfect for each other. No one can stand them for very long but they can stand each other and that’s what’s most important. They can joke around and be themselves, that’s why they’re so great together.

• RJaye says:

I completely agree with you! I don’t get how so many Office fans don’t like Holly and Michael together. It seems to me if you are a fan of the show, you would totally get why Michael and Holly are perfect for each other!!

• Dash says:

I appreciate the Office, do I understand why Michael and Holly are perfect for each other? Yes I do. Does that make them less annoying? No it does not. They can be awkward and wierd without going overboard. The just keep their bits going way too long. Some bits are only funny for the first few lines, five minutes later it’s just awkward.

40. Mechtelde Von Dribel says:

Michael’s character is irritating, embarrassing, reminds you of the worst of yourself, which is why we keep coming back. It’s like slowing down in hopes of seeing the disastrous results of a car wreck. We don’t want to see it, but we can’t help ourselves. My 90-year-old father just discovered The Office last year. First it was “There’s that terrible show. Turn it off. It’s just terrible. The boss is such an idiot.” And now, he gets it. Yes, he’s a terrible idiot, and that’s why you watch!

And adore the Dwight character THROUGH THE GLASS TV SCREEN. Like most of us, I have had Dwights in my life and have run from them as fast as I could.

41. charlie says:

Will the show still go on without Michael I hope so but ill mis him

P.s. that’s what she said :)

42. Daniel Spurr says:

Michael Scott basically runs the show! Running the show without him would be the same as surfing without waves!

43. RJaye says:

I think Michael and Holly are perfect for each other! Yes, they can be annoying with their silly voices and awkward sense of humor, but that is the point! No other person, male or female has ever understood the way Michael acts and thinks…so it’s perfect that he has finally found someone who appreciates him for who he is! I’m worried that the show won’t last without him, but I do love all the characters on the show. It just seems like Michael is the driving force that causes the chaos and the rest of the office reacts to it. I hope that the writers are able to continue to make this show funny and interesting. It is my all time favorite show!!

44. Lovebug:) says:

I think Holly and Michael are the perfect couple. I don’t think they are that annoying. I mean, isn’t it the point for them to be annoying? I also think the show won’t last without Michael. He is clearly the reason why the show is one of the most funny shows on TV. I will definitely miss him. All of the other characters are also funny. I love Dwight, Jim, Pam, and Kevin a lot. :) I’m not really sure if I like Holly, because of her betrayal to Michael. I think she moved on so fast, that she didn’t really love him before she left. I’m just happy Michael is happy and might get to have a family like he has always wanted.

45. joan says:

46. Wes says:

I like the idiosyncrasies of Holly and Michael; they make a good match. It will be a nice swan song for Michael to finally find someone who loves him for who he is. I especially loved the reaction of Pam when she saw the ring.

47. SS says:

Would have rather seen him light himself on fire and die. Steve Carell is such a great actor, he did his job and made me absolutely despise that character.

48. teresa says:

It was perfect

49. Jillian says:

I think Holly is perfect for Michael.

50. Tish says:

Is it really 653 awkward situations exactly? Lol. LOVED the proposal.