Survivor: Your Take on 'Redemption Island'?

Survivor: Redemption Island has been a delightfully treacherous affair this season, and Wednesday night’s episode proved no exception. After Zapatera suffered a crushing defeat in a launch-and-catch-the-ball challenge, David tried to sway members of his six-person alliance to turn on Sarita and replace her with Russell’s former main squeeze Stephanie (or “Stifinie,” as one Zapatera member spelled it). It seemed like a long shot, but Survivor’s clever editors peppered the episode with enough complaints about Sarita and her sore tooth — she’s “a drama queen princess,” said Julie; she’s “too fancy of a girl for this kind of game,” added Ralph — that I thought she might be at risk.

Tribal Council brought more vitriol against Sarita, with Steve dismissing her as (gasp!) an “uptown girl” and David arguing that the overall strength of the team was more important than trust — particularly with Ometepe and Zapatera about to have an even number of tribe members. In the end, though, David’s plan went kaput: The Zapatera alliance stayed loyal to Sarita, and now it looks like the wily attorney could be the odd man out should his tribe lose another challenge. Then again, I wouldn’t exactly be filled with confidence if I was Sarita, either. (Quick thought about how the votes shook out: Maybe Stephanie could’ve secured some additional support if she’d chosen not to sound like such a petulant child at Tribal Council?)

There was intrigue at Ometepe, too, but mostly of the comical variety. Phillip railed against “beauty queens” Ashley and Natalie for their lack of work ethic. Boston Rob would up “playing Arafat in the peace process” (his words, not mine), while secretly delighting in the uselessness of the two women in his alliance. “I want them to annoy the crap out of everyone as much as possible,” he chuckled. Later, when Rob and Grant absconded with the clue to the hidden immunity idol (that Rob already has in his possession), Phillip felt betrayed. “Hell hath no fury like a lion or a gorilla when he thinks he’s been provoked,” said the man in the hot-pink skivvies, pointing to his dual animal tattoos. Didn’t Rob and Grant know they were playing “mentalist” and “assassin” to Phillip’s “specialist”? Uff da. I’m looking forward to another Tribal Council meltdown for Phillip in the not-so-distant future.

And finally, there’s the matter of Matt’s total dominance in Redemption Island Arena. The upbeat Christian fellow has repeatedly surmised his status in the game is in God’s hands, and if he’s right, it’s starting to look like God wants Matt back in the game of Survivor. We’ve already seen him vanquish Francesca, Russell, Kristina, and Krista. Next week he’ll take on Stephanie. Is there any way the guy can lose in a head-to-head showdown? And how are you feeling about the idea of Redemption Island overall? Take our poll below, then hit the comments to give your thoughts on this week’s episode.

Slezak on Twitter: @MichaelSlezakTV.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. HannaBec says:

The highlight of my Survivor week, besides Robb’s hilarious manipulative ways, is seeing Matt on Redemption Island. That is one fine specimen of a man!! ;)

2. Doris says:

I thought it was great that Krista brought a Bible and that she gave it to Matt when she lost the duel. I’m sorry now that she’s out of the game. I can see Matt going all the way.

• sashay says:

She’s still really obnoxious, and the fact that she totes a bible around and quotes from it just makes her look like a hypocrite. Unlike Matt, who seems to be a genuinely kind and loving person. He much better personifies the image of a Godlike person.

3. darclyte says:

As much as I’d have preferred to see Sarita go, the tribe made the right pick in Steph as Steve had pointed out in an earlier episode, come a merge or tribe swap, she’d be more likely to flip to another tribe. Sarita wouldn’t. So, even though Steph may be better at camp and at challenges, in the long run, she’s the weaker link.

4. Sabrina says:

Funniest line of the night belonged to the blond chick (her name really does not matter) who stated she “worked hard her entire life, she did pageants and everything!” I nearly peed myself when she said it!

• Lee says:

I echo Sabrina’s amusement at that bimbo nurse’s contention that “hard work” involved competing in pageants. Could I actually be starting to see Philip’s point of view?

5. ktwolf says:

I think the Redemption Island “twist” is boring. The challenges are a waste of time. When people are voted out, send them home!

• wsuger says:

I agree, the end of each episode is a letdown, I liked the final death.

• Sherri says:

I totally agree with you about Redemption Island. I was under the mistaken impression that once a game was played on Redemption Island that contestent re-entered the game. But, the way it is being played, the Island doesn’t seem quite so appealing because when that person survives Redemption Island, they are thrown back into a team they have no attachment to and possibly can get voted out because they aren’t “in” on what’s been going on. I’d like to see them bring back “exile island.” That was so much more fun. Besides, are these people on Redemption Island having to “hunt” for food or are they being fed?

6. Stephanie says:

I have to say, considering I am, well less than religious, Matt is a breath of fresh air. Sure he’s citing passages from a pink bible, but he’s not shoving his beliefs down anyone’s throats (well…technically he’s mostly alone…) he just happened to find someone who shared his beliefs and had a nice little moment with Krista. Anyways, why I think Matt is such a breath of fresh air his not just him positive attitude but that fact he’s so calm in these challenges. He is usually alone at there, and if it were me- alone with only my thoughts, it would mentally take a toll. Matt seems to move past that and I see him winning and getting back into the game. But after Andrea’s little jealous fit there, I think Matt’s chances of staying after he comes back in lessening.
    With those whole religious edit (and the many takes of that Jesus statue) I see Matt’s edit going two ways: He “the second coming”, he’ll come back and take his revenge (er, ok not very Jesus like) and win it all. Or he comes back and gets voted off immediately- at the hands of Andrea.

Honestly I think there are only three contenders to win it all:

Matt, Andrea, and Rob.

But I hope to the tv gods that not a single one of Rob’s little minions get near the top 3 or, tv gods forbid, actually win. Nor do I want to see mute-hot Grant win, nor any one from the Zap tribe. Nor Philip (but let him stay long, I must be entertained).

• sashay says:

I’d have to argue with you over Andrea. She definitely DID NOT throw a fit, she just mused in the confessional that she was beginning to have doubts about Matt, over whether they actually had a connection at all. It did come across as jealousy, but it also makes sense. Like Rob says, Matt has an excellent social game to go along with his competion skills, and therefore, could be as dangerous as Rob in terms of winning the million.

I do agree with you though, that these three may be the top contenders. I’d also add Grant. We don’t know if he’s as trusting and naive as Rob thinks, there hasn’t been any alone camera time with him. He certainly is a challenge monster though, and as good-looking as Mike. Certainly lots of eye candy for us women this season!

7. John Berggren says:

I think they sent the wrong person to Redemption Island. I think they will have a tough time starting to win challenges again. If Rob comes into the merge with 6 people, they’ll be picked off one by one.

• wsuger says:

I agree. I don’t think they gave enough thought that you don’t want someone so strong on RI. If Rob has to go to RI, I think he might regret that they did not send someone weaker.

8. susela says:

If Matt makes it back into the competition, he certainly will have earned his place.

9. Buffy Freak says:

There are too many second chances in the game now. The Idols are way too easy to find and the challenges on Redemption Island don’t seem all that challenging.

10. cheryl says:

I agree with HannaBec regarding Matt! Also, Redemption Island has turned out to be a great addition to the show, it mixes things up a little bit. Sad Russell is gone, bad glad Philip is still there! lol

11. Patty Binkis says:

It’s encouraging to see people with true conviction in this game. I really couldn’t stand Russell, he reminded me of a troll, and was twisted and evil. It’s sad when you see the good players get voted off by the wicked ones. Krista and Matt, your Father knows your heart, and being on Survivor, you brought Glory to His name. Be blessed.

• sashay says:

How did Krista bring any kind of glory? She was allied with Russell (I agree he is an evil troll) and she seemed to be as nasty as him. Matt on the other hand, is smart, kind,charming and sexy. He embodies the hero type much better than she ever could.

12. Sean says:

My Random Thoughts:

– At the Duel, Krista jumped out to an early lead, but Matt came from behind and won his fourth straight Duel. That’s right, just when it looked like God chose Krista, he gave it back to Matt and then said “Aw shucks, buddy. You know I can’t go against you!”, and then playfully punched him in the shoulder like two old pals would do.

– I loved Andrea’s apparent rage at the Bible hand-off. All of a sudden, she went from cheering on her blond tribemate/showmance to being apparently furious that he had bonded with Krista in their 8 hours together. Now, as she told the camera, maybe Matt needed to go because he’s not who she thought he was. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned…or like a woman who just watched a guy who isn’t her boyfriend get a Bible from another woman, who also isn’t his girlfriend. Same thing, right?

After you’re done here, I hope you’ll check out the rest of my recap at

13. Brock says:

I am just adoring this season. I want to destroy Philip, but he’s right in attacking those LAZY beauty queens. Then again, Rob’s right in saying keeping them could help as they’ve done nothing to earn being around.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned – on-screen – the chance of mixing the tribes up. I’m kinda sad it didn’t happen to spoil their plans somewhat. :(

14. shaunnadavid says:

Think Rob and Grant should have let Philip in on the clue. then they kind of rubbed his nose in it by saying we will show it to you back on the island. they are assuming Philip will not make it to the merge. and we all know what assuming does. What is the point of keeping someone in to keep numbers up, if after the merge you ticked them off so much they go to the other side.

I hope Philip stays in game a long time. I will miss him if he goes.

As for voting for Stephanie, the same logic applies. what is the point of keeping someone in to keep numbers up, when you know Stephanie will go to the other side after the merge.

Is not think the other will make it too far if she has an infection in her gums with no antibiotics.